Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying specifically to mck414 but to the thread in general. This may not be nearly as strange as what other people have seen, but it's strange to me since I don't usually see much stangeness at masters. Lap swimmers maybe, but not masters. I've been swimming with a new masters group and there is one guy just has to get his splits on his Garmin for every interval (yes, he's a triathlete and not a swimmer). He is so concerned with getting his splits that he never swims all the way to the wall at the end of an interval. He always stops a good 3-5 strokes before the wall to hit the lap button on his watch. This would be like doing track intervals and never running through the line, or running a race and stopping short of the finish line to stop your watch. This is new to me as I've never seen anyone even worry about their watch during masters, let alone taking splits on their watch, and I've definitely never seen anyone at masters not swim all the way to the wall. The coach gives intervals so other than maybe wanting to track total time swimming I'm baffled by the need for the Garmin at masters - just use the clock! I have no clue why the coach hasn't said something to him about this, unless she has and he continues to do it anyway.
Last edited by: little red: Dec 30, 15 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3-5 strokes before the wall would have him walking the end of the lap?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll do the same.....not really responding to little red in particular here.

So, walked into the pool today and a guy (I'll call him Kip) is swimming in his lane while towing 13 toy tugboats all strung along behind him. I asked him what he was doing and he said it was a tribute to Jack Lalane. Okay.....no further questions cuz it was just too weird.

He left well before I did, but when I got out I noticed a binder on the table by the lifeguard titled A Tribute to Jack Lalane......by Kip. I couldn't help but check it out. It had stalker pictures of Jack in it and, at the end, he had written something about him towing 13 tugboats on a swim in San Francisco Bay.

So, I guess it really was a tribute, though an odd one. Is it Jack Lalane's birthday or something today? I'm bewildered....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
little red wrote:
Not replying specifically to mck414 but to the thread in general. This may not be nearly as strange as what other people have seen, but it's strange to me since I don't usually see much stangeness at masters. Lap swimmers maybe, but not masters. I've been swimming with a new masters group and there is one guy just has to get his splits on his Garmin for every interval (yes, he's a triathlete and not a swimmer). He is so concerned with getting his splits that he never swims all the way to the wall at the end of an interval. He always stops a good 3-5 strokes before the wall to hit the lap button on his watch. This would be like doing track intervals and never running through the line, or running a race and stopping short of the finish line to stop your watch. This is new to me as I've never seen anyone even worry about their watch during masters, let alone taking splits on their watch, and I've definitely never seen anyone at masters not swim all the way to the wall. The coach gives intervals so other than maybe wanting to track total time swimming I'm baffled by the need for the Garmin at masters - just use the clock! I have no clue why the coach hasn't said something to him about this, unless she has and he continues to do it anyway.

I am also a triathlete who catches every split on the Garmin. However, I don't stop short of the wall. I have perfected the left-hand touch while the right hand finishes its last stroke to the wall/lap button.

Here's the reason and why it helps me: I am a strong runner who is still learning feel for the water and need constant feedback and motivation to get up at 4:30AM to go to my masters. When I do my running workouts, they are pretty easy to remember how I performed. If I'm running tempo, for example, I just have to remember five different mile splits which are usually pretty well centered around the same time. Doing quarters? 8 or so to remember. Not a problem. However, in a swim workout with lots of intervals ranging between 25's and 300's, it's hard for me to remember what I did in the current workout let alone what I did two weeks ago, the last time I swam a 300.

Again, in running, I have been doing it for years and my "good" work times are cemented in my head because I've done them so many times. Having just started swimming, I am still learning my pacing.

Also, my goggles are always fogged up so I usually can't see the pace clock anyway!

Anecdotally, just this week I repeated two of the workouts I did in the first weeks in my masters in September since we're off from masters for the winter break while the local college is closed. It was awesome to be able to export the workouts and compare them side-by-side. For me, one who struggles mightily in the pool, it's pretty motivating to see my times are down significantly (7-10 seconds off my 100-repeats, 3-4 seconds off 25-repeats).

The above notwithstanding, I am, and I proudly embrace my position as "runner guy" denizen at every pool I swim in.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is correct. He stops, hits the lab button, and then walks 2-3 steps to the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
little red wrote:
Yes, that is correct. He stops, hits the lab button, and then walks 2-3 steps to the wall.

Given he is in the masters group and presumably wants to improve, if he was a friend, I would ridicule him (either 1-on-1 or in the group) and ask him what his average 97 yard split was for the session. If he wasn't a friend; pull him aside or have the coach do so, and have a nice conversation about it. (British logic: be an a***hole to your friends, nice to strangers).
Last edited by: dado0583: Dec 30, 15 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
I'll do the same.....not really responding to little red in particular here.

So, walked into the pool today and a guy (I'll call him Kip) is swimming in his lane while towing 13 toy tugboats all strung along behind him. I asked him what he was doing and he said it was a tribute to Jack Lalane. Okay.....no further questions cuz it was just too weird.

He left well before I did, but when I got out I noticed a binder on the table by the lifeguard titled A Tribute to Jack Lalane......by Kip. I couldn't help but check it out. It had stalker pictures of Jack in it and, at the end, he had written something about him towing 13 tugboats on a swim in San Francisco Bay.

So, I guess it really was a tribute, though an odd one. Is it Jack Lalane's birthday or something today? I'm bewildered....

Cheers,

Based on this, and plenty of other posts in this thread, I'm now convinced there's a secret society of pranksters that exists solely to come up with, and execute, increasingly bizarre scenarios at pools.

"Oh, I see your trombone-playing dressing room antics and raise you a Jack LaLanne barge-pull tribute! Hah!"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently encountered "unbalanced freestyle flailing guy". We were in separate lanes, but as we were both splitting a lane with someone else, we were both swimming reasonably close to the lane line. From time to time I would feel something "hit" me mid-length. Arm, rib, leg, whatever... I couldn't figure it out until I was on a rest at the end of the pool and I watched the guy in the lane next to me swim towards me. Sure enough every time he took a breath, his leg would swing under the lane line to attempt to counter-balance his entire body coming out of the water. That manifested as him actually making contact with me as we passed if the timing was right.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is my first post ever on Slowtwitch. I hope it is found worthy!

My usual gym at a university is closed so I signed up for a month at a local health club. It has the usual assortment of pool walkers, floaters, water joggers and whatnot, but what is really freaking me out is the locker room bottomless crowd. Today, there were four or five guys in the locker room, all with shirts, but strolling around bottomless. Shaving bottomless, blow drying their hair bottomless, weighing themselves bottomless (but with a tee shirt). It felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone where suddenly you are in some bizarre alternate reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL what a great thread.

We've got:

1. Slasher-Thrasher. This guy is a older swimmer and fairly fast. In freestyle, his left arm guillotines straight across (hitting people in the adjacent lane) and his legs beat up a froth so dense, you can't see anything about 10 feet behind him. He's like the weaving truck on the highway that belches blue smoke.

2. The BMW guy. Always goes in the fast lane, hates passing people, so tailgates slower swimmers and glares at them to "get out of the fast lane!" Quite intense. Always close to road-rage.

3. The aquatic workout ladies. My lifeguard calls them the hippos, large and territorial. Added hazard, they waer so much perfume and body spray that they leave an oil-slick on the pool surface and you gag when doing reps.

4. The guy who can't do a flip turn (oops, that's me)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick google suggests Jack LaLane might have been one of the ultimate Denizens. from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

1974 (age 60) – For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat. At least that's according to his website. However, according to an account of this event published the day after it occurred in the Los Angeles Times, written by Philip Hager, a Times staff writer, LaLanne was neither handcuffed nor shackled if each of those terms has the conventional meaning of "tightly binding the wrists or ankles together with a pair of metal fasteners" although that's not how handcuffs or shackles work. Hager says that LaLanne "had his hands and feet bound with cords that allowed minimal freedom". But "minimal" clearly did not mean "no" freedom, since elsewhere in the article Hager describes LaLanne's method of propulsion through the water as "half-breast-stroke, half-dog paddle" which is how you swim with your hands tied.[citation needed]
1975 (age 61) – Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat.[citation needed]
1976 (age 62) – To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.[38]
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [northnorthwest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
northnorthwest wrote:

My usual gym at a university is closed so I signed up for a month at a local health club. It has the usual assortment of pool walkers, floaters, water joggers and whatnot, but what is really freaking me out is the locker room bottomless crowd. Today, there were four or five guys in the locker room, all with shirts, but strolling around bottomless. Shaving bottomless, blow drying their hair bottomless, weighing themselves bottomless (but with a tee shirt). It felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone where suddenly you are in some bizarre alternate reality.

An episode where suddenly everybody around you is Porky Pig.

"Pants? What are those?"

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I help coach our YMCA youth team, and we had morning practice on Christmas Eve. (due to the pool being closed in the evening). This allowed me to see some of the daytime denizens that I hadn't had a chance to witness before.

One guy (who fits the description of many mentioned on this thread) was the old curmudgeon - pissed off that other people were in the pool. He had such a look of disgust on his face from the second he walked on deck until he walked out after doing like 6 laps of half ass'd breast stroke. There are plenty of these guys that also show up at the fringes of the day. This particular guy just displayed much greater (obvious) displeasure than I usually see.

Then, there was a lady (very similar to Betty White in appearance) that hopped into the open swim section to do some form of aqua aerobics/jogging. She was wearing some form of swim tights and a long sleeved top that even had a turtle neck of some sort. On her hands, she wore some swim gloves with webbing between the fingers. On her ankles were those water filled aqua jogging things and she also had on a floaty waist belt. Her behavior wasn't all that weird. She just did all the normal aqua aerobics/jogging. I just don't think I've ever seen someone wearing that much stuff in the pool before.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool was packed today; we all had the same idea to swim in the morning before the pool closed early for the holiday. An adorable little girl, couldn't have been older than 10, very sweetly asked me if she could share my lane. My mouth said, "Of course!" but my brain thought, "Please God, don't let this little girl embarrass me." I wasn't much faster than her. It was a humbling way to end 2015.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
The pool was packed today; we all had the same idea to swim in the morning before the pool closed early for the holiday. An adorable little girl, couldn't have been older than 10, very sweetly asked me if she could share my lane. My mouth said, "Of course!" but my brain thought, "Please God, don't let this little girl embarrass me." I wasn't much faster than her. It was a humbling way to end 2015.

I'm an adult onset swimmer.

Talking to my cousin, talking about workout routines. Mention that I'd been swimming semi-regularly. She asks about times. I very reluctantly offer them. She giggles, 'You're as fast as my daughter was as an 8 y/o, now!'

In my defense, her daughter is currently a DI college swimmer.

I've no idea if her mom is making fun of me or not. But with my 1:45-1:55 100m repeats and with...okay lemme check her college website...her swims being:
100 Breast1:04.3112/5/14200 Breast2:20.0512/6/14200 IM2:09.3412/19/14400 IM4:44.2810/31/14
I'm going to bet on the 8 y/o in a swim race vs me.
Last edited by: JSully: Dec 31, 15 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [northnorthwest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
northnorthwest wrote:

The term for that is "shirt-cocking" and it is generally not thought highly of.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/...p?term=shirt+cocking
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, wow. He was proud enough to post a picture of his tribute.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more.....cuz....denizens....

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "triathlete split guy" is getting a nice suck of air each time he takes 2-3 steps to the wall... Just sayin'
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was too perfect. I thought of this topic.

Got to the pool. One truck parked with crossfit stickers on it. Guess we concentrated on the upcoming workout a little too much to make the connection right away.

<5 minutes later>

In the very next lane to us there was a tattoo'd beefcake of a guy attempting crawl. He had a pull buoy and yet was swimming uphill so much his body was at about 45 degrees in the water. That pull buoy was drowning near the bottom of the pool somewhere. With each kick he'd twist like a soccer player attempting to kick a ball and then he'd kick with one leg only, at the knee. Head above water of course. His crawl looked more like a doggy paddle than crawl. He'd to 25y like that and rest for about 2 minutes.

One time I stopped right next to him and he comments: man I do crossfit and never knew how hard swimming was.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the feeling "resolution season" is on at my Y. I encountered a bunch of interesting denizens over the weekend.

1) No-breath-25 lady. She was swimming a sortof crawl, but wasn't breathing at all. To make matters worse she was looking forward the whole time. I would say she was doing some kind of hypoxic drill, but it was obvious she just didn't know how to swim. She would make it to about half way across the pool, then stop, stand up, take a few breaths, then continue. She would then gasp at the wall and wait there for a few moments before heading back across.

2) "Mr Must Have His Own Lane": I get out on deck and survey the scene looking for what lane I wanted to jump into (there is no enforced lane speeds at this pool). I also happen to notice a middle-age guy sitting on the on-deck bleachers watching intently, with a bag of pool gear (buoy, etc). I spot a lane that has only one person, the person there stops an interval and I ask to share. Guy moves over and I hop in. The guy on the bleacher starts screaming at me that I "cut in line". Huh? Oh, this guy thinks he is entitled to his own lane. He ends up yelling at 2 more people who also "cut in line" by jumping in a lane with someone else before the guards informed him he would never get his own lane all to himself.

3) 300 yard workout guy. Gets out on deck, does some stretching, jumps in the lane next to me. Puts on a facemask and snorkel. Then proceeds to do something like 6x50 with a good rest between each, before getting out and heading to the locker room.

4) Post-swim I am in the sauna and its just me and "bro" in there. Bro's friend walks in and says "yo bro can I go out to your car and get <something>? Are your keys in the locker?" Meanwhile he is standing there holding the door open and the temp in the sauna equalized to the pool deck. He eventually leaves and the sauna re-heats up. Then Bro's friend comes back in to say he found the keys and got whatever he needed, while holding the door open again. *makes me stabby*
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
3) 300 yard workout guy. Gets out on deck, does some stretching, jumps in the lane next to me. Puts on a facemask and snorkel. Then proceeds to do something like 6x50 with a good rest between each, before getting out and heading to the locker room.
This guy came to my pool on Friday, too, except he also had fins and paddles. I couldn't help thinking, "You brought all those toys for such a short swim?"

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of this thread in the holiday vacancies...

I was swimming for about a half hour when i notice a guy with trunk swimsuit (board shorts). Anyway he's just sitting on the side of the pool with both feet dangling in the water. Fast forward about another 30 more minutes and he comes over to the lane next to me (I also noticed that he seemed to look around a lot while dipping both feet in the water).

At that moment I was probably one of the faster swimmer in the pool (Still far from collegiate level but managing to hold my own). Anyway the guy jumps in the lane next to me and waits for me to push off the wall during one of my 200m repeats and he just goes all out, manages to swim about 20m before nearly drowning. Then proceeds to retreat to the locker room after having swam about 50m (he had to get back to the other end somewhat).
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [snoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was probably watching you and thinking, "I can do that... I can do that..." And then tried it and realized no, he can't. lol.

I became one of the strange denizens myself lately, trying to swim with a healing broken arm. (Doc said it was ok.) Good stroke on one side, flopping my arm over on the other, wearing an Ironman cap, but swimming like a wounded flamingo. The icing on the cake was realizing that I couldn't get out of the pool without crossing several lanes packed with swimmers to get to the stairs. So then I became "that guy" that was crossing lanes between people, while trying to hold my bent arm up and out of the water so nobody would hit it. I felt about as smart as I looked.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jan 12, 16 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had another one yesterday!

Oh boy I had to post once in this thread to encounter another one (I'm hoping this post gets the ball rolling so I cross path with many more as it makes for entertaining training sessions)

A guy was doing planks on the side of the pool (now mind you I also do that from time to time and I feel it is a good strategy as you are already in sportswear)

BUT this guy was also doing this with his head standing on a couple of kkckboards

Quote Reply

Prev Next