Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night I encountered a few.

Family playing frisbee in the pool in one lane. I suppose there are no rules against frisbee, but I have never seen this in a lap pool. A couple of times the frisbee ended up in another lane so Dad had to play frogger and go get the frisbee.

I was half way through my set. My stepson took a break from basketball to see where I was at. He decided to sit on one of the chairs by the first lane. I was in lane 2. The first lane has steps going down into the pool. I take a break and notice there is a woman - maybe 18-25 laying on the steps with her feet in the pool and her head at deck level. She starts doing push ups. OK - water assisted - I sort of get. Then she does dips for triceps. OK I sort of get that too. My next lap, she is doing some strange doggie style thing on her hands and knees - pushing her butt in the air and simulating things that should be reserved for a bedroom (or balcony of a hotel). My 12 y/o ran for his life at that point. Not sure what that was about but I blame Miley Cyrus.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I swim there is a general purpose exercise room between the front desk and the locker room. You must walk past this room. It is usually used by people for yoga and body weight type exercises. The room is half mirrored and the other half is windowed into the facility.

Last week as I am walking by I look into the room and see that all the lights are off. But on the floor there is someone laying prone on the floor. Kneeling to their side is another man giving the prone man a massage. And then standing about a foot behind the kneeling man is another man standing with a music stand in front of him and he is playing a trombone.

I have seen a lot of weird things at the pool but this is by far the strangest.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
My 12 y/o ran for his life at that point. Not sure what that was about but I blame Miley Cyrus.
LOL

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Pull bouy, 2× paddles, fins / fin socks, zoomers, board, tempo trainer, bad ass swimmer.

Wtf are fins socks?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lycra or neoprene socks to prevent chafing on feet and toes. I have torn big patches of skin off over the years. Current pair is TYR and neoprene, before I had FINIS lycra.

http://www.tyr.com/shop/fin-boots.html

Maybe my choice of swim gear is based on having swam lots since I was 8.

8 strokes.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAlbertan: Jan 11, 15 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. And we used to use regular socks. We went cheap when we could have gone neoprene. Man, we were suckers.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:
Where I swim there is a general purpose exercise room between the front desk and the locker room. You must walk past this room. It is usually used by people for yoga and body weight type exercises. The room is half mirrored and the other half is windowed into the facility.

Last week as I am walking by I look into the room and see that all the lights are off. But on the floor there is someone laying prone on the floor. Kneeling to their side is another man giving the prone man a massage. And then standing about a foot behind the kneeling man is another man standing with a music stand in front of him and he is playing a trombone.

wut O_o
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These have lasted 2 years so far and show no signs of serious wear. I'm sure if I was swimming like I used to the stitches would turn brown.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:

Hopefully not a rusty one.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Hopefully not a rusty one.

No, thankfully not.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Free dive spearfishing practice?

Abell
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [abell103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim at an indoor olympic sized pool. There are strict rules for use of the facility. To get to the pool area, one has to undress at ones closet locker, then proceed nekkid to the next room which is a big shower area. There one must shower nekkid. No swimsuits are allowed when showering before swimming. Soap must be applied and washed off. After showering, one puts on the speedo or whatever and proceeds out to the pool.

The only problem is that, for some people, it is just a little bit too long time being nekkid. They get used to it, and forget to put their speedo on before entering the pool area.

And it's always guys who do this. No chicks have ever forgotten to put their swimsuits on.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Chewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting here watching my son'a swim lesson. An older middle eastern guy has been sitting at the end of the lane they are using for his lessons with his legs, and sometimes entire body in the water. He's completely oblivious. in the way of the kids when they are at that end. It's pretty damn creepy.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and then there's always the guy that doesn't know how to circle swim and you run into them head on. Check out allisonwagner.com/swim for video analysis of your stroke by an Olympic swimmer and coach! Love the funny post!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:

Since I first saw this in the morning, i have read it dozens of times, each time laughing til I cry.

Especially the double take look (i could only imagine) you must have given with the "WTF did i just see" expression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:

I think you're making this sh*t up. You can not be serious:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[qoute] I think you're making this sh*t up. You can not be serious:)[/quote]

Absolutely serious. I wish I had thought to take a picture with my phone, but as you can imagine I was a little thrown off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pickles wrote:
[qoute] I think you're making this sh*t up. You can not be serious:)

Absolutely serious. I wish I had thought to take a picture with my phone, but as you can imagine I was a little thrown off.[/quote]
OK, I'll take your word for it. I'm sure it took you a few seconds to process the scene, espec if you were just walking quickly by the room and just glanced in the door. I guess sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, and, as someone said, "you can't make this sh*t up":)

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Chewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chewie wrote:
I swim at an indoor olympic sized pool. There are strict rules for use of the facility. To get to the pool area, one has to undress at ones closet locker, then proceed nekkid to the next room which is a big shower area. There one must shower nekkid. No swimsuits are allowed when showering before swimming. Soap must be applied and washed off. After showering, one puts on the speedo or whatever and proceeds out to the pool.
The only problem is that, for some people, it is just a little bit too long time being nekkid. They get used to it, and forget to put their speedo on before entering the pool area.
And it's always guys who do this. No chicks have ever forgotten to put their swimsuits on.

So, do they have a "shower monitor" in the shower room to enforce these rules??? I can't see how the lifeguards could tell whether you used soap or not:)

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I don't swim at the "Y" but here in my hometown I swim with the following people

"Tractor Man " The pool designates one lifeguard for this swimmer. A gentle kind elderly man who's looks to be drowning with every stroke he takes, his arms never breach the surface during freestyle and has a stroke count of near 60 per 25 m ,, yes I counted one time. Looks like a tractor plowing through a corn field

" Water Walkers" Generally 4 per lane , 2 abreast walk the length of the pool can't swim in the lane just forget it. One swimmer did complain however " we have every right to use the pool during lane swim seem to win over.

"Aligator Women " Must be a tri gal as she sights every 2 stroke during a 25 meter lane swim not just for practice but every time I see her. She looks like an alligator thus gave her the name.

'Fat Jock" One guy is apron 75 lbs over weight but wears a speedo and acts like he is a jock , complete with arm circle stretches and neck twitches he has the slowest time next to tractor man but acts likes he is just off world record pace.

"Senior Chatters " are seen more often in the early am than pm but use the pool to socialize often hanging out at one end of the lane they yap more than swim

Thats it for me
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Faster Pussycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy at my local pool today had skinny legs and a giant muscular chest, shoulders and arms (reminded me of kayakers). He swam a bunch of laps with his ankles tied with a very low cadence almost catch-up stroke with lots of up and down bobbing. Then he got out a stretchy band tied to a long strap, and tied himself by the ankles to the start block, put on snorkel, put a pull buoy between his legs, and continued to swim in place with the same extremely low cadence catch up freestyle with extreme up and down bobbing of his giant chest/shoulders. It looked like a great workout for building chest/shoulder bulk.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Faster Pussycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster Pussycat wrote:
Ok I don't swim at the "Y" but here in my hometown I swim with the following people
"Tractor Man " The pool designates one lifeguard for this swimmer. A gentle kind elderly man who's looks to be drowning with every stroke he takes, his arms never breach the surface during freestyle and has a stroke count of near 60 per 25 m ,, yes I counted one time. Looks like a tractor plowing through a corn field
" Water Walkers" Generally 4 per lane , 2 abreast walk the length of the pool can't swim in the lane just forget it. One swimmer did complain however " we have every right to use the pool during lane swim seem to win over.
"Aligator Women " Must be a tri gal as she sights every 2 stroke during a 25 meter lane swim not just for practice but every time I see her. She looks like an alligator thus gave her the name.
'Fat Jock" One guy is apron 75 lbs over weight but wears a speedo and acts like he is a jock , complete with arm circle stretches and neck twitches he has the slowest time next to tractor man but acts likes he is just off world record pace.
"Senior Chatters " are seen more often in the early am than pm but use the pool to socialize often hanging out at one end of the lane they yap more than swim
Thats it for me

You left out the noodle guys:) These guys seem to have become very common in the last 2-3 yrs: they swim breaststroke with the noodle between their legs, with head out of the water of course, so clearly they're only getting a weak pull and virtually no kick propulsion. Or, they kick on their back with noodle looped around neck and head out of water. I've tried to suggest that noodles should not be allowed in the "swim lanes" but was accused of being "elitist":)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd never criticize someone staying active and getting in the pool but sometimes you just have to scratch your head. Like the elderly gentleman I saw yesterday swimming laps with snorkel and fins. Not so unusual except that he wasn't kicking. At all. With toes pointed down I'm afraid the fins were actually slowing him down.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
I'd never criticize someone staying active and getting in the pool but sometimes you just have to scratch your head. Like the elderly gentleman I saw yesterday swimming laps with snorkel and fins. Not so unusual except that he wasn't kicking. At all. With toes pointed down I'm afraid the fins were actually slowing him down.

Wow, that's a new one i haven't seen before. OTOH, I have seen a bunch of swimmers who just keep their fins on during their entire workout, even while using the pull buoy. Granted they do not appear to be kicking at all but still it just looks pretty weird:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ones who insist on parking as close as possible...

(My Y's sister location - I swim there when my regular Y's schedule doesn't fit mine)
Quote Reply

Prev Next