Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think I might have to try them power crank contraptions. Still have the ones and BB adapter that were on the Blue, Send with shirt :0)
Btw also rev3 ATlantic City looks to be fun

Re: Kona and Age Group Power [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally unrelated and i don't want to hijack but can i ask what those tri shorts are? Pretty sure they are kiwami as per your signature but just wanted to know. That is just about what i am looking to buy for next season. Thanks!

JD

Carry on
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [snoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is actually a Kiwami Konami one piece suit with the Castelli Stealth T1 top over it. I only biked in the Castelli top. Swam in the Konami with an Amphibian over it, and then ran in just the Konami.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [amgray13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be interested in TSS as well. If you have your threshold power numbers right you should be biking somewhere around 280 - 300 TSS for the ride, for a chance on the run as well.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [31CapeHorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
31CapeHorn wrote:
good grief, no wonder I'm MOP. I hold 230w on sprint races and it hurts. If I'm 200w for HIM I struggle mightily on the run, and for IM I'm below 200 or I'm walking. You guys are ridiculously strong.

Was thinking the same thing! These are hardly "mere mortals" numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
My long runs are a mostly a mix of steady effort and tempo. Not alot of speed work. I come from a running background so I spend a significantly greater amount of time on the bike than I do running now.

interesting that you do that, i too have a running background though not as good as your own, i cycled with you at kona (i am not a stalker but know you by sight after zofingen) , coming in just behind you in 5-09, though i only ran a 3-15

what is your bike to run ratio in miles terms out of interest - i know that tells me nothing about intensity but i need to improve my bike, i just dont bike enough but also lack time so wondering whether i just cut down on the run

many thanks

steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
209 W ave
6'2" 164lb
5:10:16

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was using a Quarq ELSA. People questioned my power output at IM Texas this year where I did a 4:48 on 207W Avg and 211 NP...that time also included a pit stop to change a flat (power was stopped during that period).

Quote | Reply
when I see your setup I see most of the low hanging fruit taken up, great choices.

I was 4:54 at 180lbs at 211 AP, which I also consider to be pretty good from a watts/speed perspective. It can be done.

jmaley wrote:
I was using a Quarq ELSA. People questioned my power output at IM Texas this year where I did a 4:48 on 207W Avg and 211 NP...that time also included a pit stop to change a flat (power was stopped during that period).

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
165 lbs
6'0"
236 NP
0.75 IF (usually .77 - .79)
4:55

Glute seized up as i got on bike. Came right after 25 min.
Had a terrible run despite holding back on the bike. 3:29 and I was aiming for 3:00-3:10. Can't figure it out, it didn't feel particularly hot to me plus I was well acclimated. Maybe it was a remnant of the glute issue. But I've noticed a lot of guys who expected to run around 3 hours, joining me in 3:30ish

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so we are saying 200w = 5hrs this year.......Drafting much ?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [trek52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trek52 wrote:

Nope.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [trek52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trek52 wrote:

Yep, from what I saw, the drafting was ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
jamgam wrote:
sgy wrote:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/...2ERDSQFNGGMHR3A3QKX4
Bike split was 4h29 and a bit. It was not too warm and not windy most of the day so perfect for fast times!
Sam
samgyde.com

365 TSS and still ran a 3 hr marathon (if I'm remembering right) or is your FTP low in TP?

I think my FTP is set at 300W in TP but guess it is a bit higher in reality :-)
But my run sucked a bit indeed... Next time better I hope...
It is probably all this training with powercranks that makes me so slow. Also, I taped gels on my top tube in a very unaerodynamic way (which was good for a topic on this forum after my Kona race in 2011), and last but not least: my seat is probably way too high ;-)
Sam

I followed your race very closely online Sam as a close friend of mine was close behind in your AG.
Great execution yet again,well done !

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many fast Belgians. Male winner, fastest bike splits in women's and AG men, AG winners in M 35-39 and M50-54.

Must be something in the water there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I had 229/235W for 4:50, and I'm pretty amazed by some of these numbers. Anyways, I am bored flying back from Kona so I took a closer look. What I find most interesting is the cluster of guys riding the same time (~4:50) with huge distribution in power (190-270). Any ideas why that is? ;)

Too few points to get a good read, but for this sample time and power are highly correlated (r = -0.75).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
So many fast Belgians. Male winner, fastest bike splits in women's and AG men, AG winners in M 35-39 and M50-54.

Must be something in the water there!

Actually, it is in our beer ;-) But on the other hand, beer is made of water so you might be right...
Sam
samgyde.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [jmaley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:

I was floored by your numbers then and I am floored by your numbers now. Maybe you're just really really aero. In any event, great effort out there, again.

Have you ever thrown your bike on a CompuTrainer or other power trainer and gut checked the Quarq?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying.

Puts my mind at ease.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I ride on a CT a lot of the time and the numbers are normally in very good agreement. Also for what it is worth I used a Quarq Rotor PM for Texas and a brand new Quarq ELSA for Kona. So two different PMs have given me virtually the same power output for two different races.

Quote | Reply
trek52 wrote:

Where do you get 200w from? I said I did 236

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Thanks for posting. I had 229/235W for 4:50, and I'm pretty amazed by some of these numbers. Anyways, I am bored flying back from Kona so I took a closer look. What I find most interesting is the cluster of guys riding the same time (~4:50) with huge distribution in power (190-270). Any ideas why that is? ;)

Too few points to get a good read, but for this sample time and power are highly correlated (r = -0.75).

Weight of the rider has to be the biggest difference. I weigh 130 lbs, my FTP is 205 (now I have never KQ, but trying to make the point), so at .75 I am at 152 watts which gets me to about a 5:20-5:30 split. Theoretically, at 180 watts I can get in around 5 hours....in my dreams. I now realize I am not qualified to post on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Nice to see you out there. Just for everyone's benefit, can you post how tall you are, kilos and also watts per kilo (well we'll get that once you post kilos). I did exactly 3W per kilo for 5:21, but as I mentioned, there is some low hanging fruit to work on my position when my neck gets better (if). There are other aspects of my set up that I give away some speed on for ease of travel and maintenance (or cheapness....ex: using 7 year old race wheels)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the chart. I think most have provided their weight; if you have the time and desire, could you post watts/kilo by time? We should see a pretty straight line with high and low outliers indicating various things we armchair st'ers can debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While W/kg is a good benchmark, as was pointed out by Tom A. in a different thread - kona is still heavily weighted towards W/cDa
Quote Reply

Prev Next