Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamgam wrote:
sgy wrote:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/...2ERDSQFNGGMHR3A3QKX4
Bike split was 4h29 and a bit. It was not too warm and not windy most of the day so perfect for fast times!
Sam
samgyde.com

365 TSS and still ran a 3 hr marathon (if I'm remembering right) or is your FTP low in TP?

I think my FTP is set at 300W in TP but guess it is a bit higher in reality :-)
But my run sucked a bit indeed... Next time better I hope...
It is probably all this training with powercranks that makes me so slow. Also, I taped gels on my top tube in a very unaerodynamic way (which was good for a topic on this forum after my Kona race in 2011), and last but not least: my seat is probably way too high ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
It is probably all this training with powercranks that makes me so slow. Also, I taped gels on my top tube in a very unaerodynamic way (which was good for a topic on this forum after my Kona race in 2011), and last but not least: my seat is probably way too high ;-)
Sam

Well to this MOP schmo it's impressive. Nice work all around
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [nhoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see he weighs 178lbs? Still though that is 4.08 w/kg for his NP where as I rode at 3.4w/kg, but a 3:14 marathon to a 3:48 marathon............

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new T1 stealth. Threw it on in T1 over my Kiwami Konami. What gear choices do you want to know?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Did you see he weighs 178lbs? Still though that is 4.08 w/kg for his NP where as I rode at 3.4w/kg, but a 3:14 marathon to a 3:48 marathon............

Yes, but did you also see he rode the same power at Lake Placid where he ran a 2:57 marathon? The 3:48 marathon is the first ever blowup on the run I am aware of for Beck.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, didn't see that. Now that you mention it I remember that thread.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
jamgam wrote:
sgy wrote:
Bike split was 4h29 and a bit. It was not too warm and not windy most of the day so perfect for fast times!
Sam
samgyde.com

365 TSS and still ran a 3 hr marathon (if I'm remembering right) or is your FTP low in TP?

Sam

Not sure if I believe you. I mean you averaged 278w for 4:30, so I can totally see you have a FTP of 300w.

Another holy shit balls you mofo's can roll is deserved. Great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense, just couldn't tell how many pieces your kit was. Doubted you made full change in T1/T2. I def am going to check that jersey out. No issues with chafing or keeping cool with it over your Kiwami ? Thinking of doing something similar in Florida over my Kaiman XC.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [amgray13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wgt: 168lbs
Time: 5:09:59
Avg W: 228W
NP: 238W
Max Avg (20min): 255W

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390971691

The above (along with smart nutrition and heat management) set me up great for the run I was hoping for:

Time: 2:56:xx
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390971724
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good grief, no wonder I'm MOP. I hold 230w on sprint races and it hurts. If I'm 200w for HIM I struggle mightily on the run, and for IM I'm below 200 or I'm walking. You guys are ridiculously strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, that run seems very well-paced considering the location of the climbs. Curious, how do you train your long runs? All at the same pace, speedwork, hills?

Proudly Team BSR
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Amazing how many sub 5 rides this year!

OK, from the back of the field, I can provide some other data: 70 min swim, 5:21 bike, 4:11 run (torn hamstring 6 weeks ago, so I had to really take the run easy, it really was not over biking...bike felt easy). 5:30 combined transitions, so missed the 45-49 combined transition championship by a few seconds (was second in that category...bummer!!!)

5'6", 143 lbs (not sure how I gained almost 7 lbs since IM Tremblant....must be all the biz travel and restaurant food).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/390070351

AP = 191
NP = 201

Looks like my moving time was 23 seconds faster than total time, which seems to be the stop to get my 500 cals of infinit at special needs. The IF and TSS on Garmin connect are off as I did not update my FTP to reflect it having gone up since earlier in the season, but one could say I still biked high, but with a hamstring tear, I was not going to be moving very fast on the run anyway.

My position is pretty upright due to a fairly bad neck injury from a crash that prevents me from going any lower (I end up with headaches). My plan was to overbike a bit heading out to Hawi because I checked the forecast and saw a big South West wind in the forecast later in the morning, so I figured that the quicker I got to Hawi, the less riding I would do in the stiffer wind coming back. I was averaging 197W at Hawi and soft pedaled back down to Kawaihai and loaded up on nutrition, by which point it was down to 191W. From Kawaihai back to Kona, I basically rode at that average.

With my neck issues, this is the only way I can reduce my frontal....but time for a stubbly helmet. Almost drop $250 for a Specialized Evade, but I got cheap at the last moment and went with my old Chrono. I figure that $250 was worth another Half IM entry fee I could give to WTC rather than giving money to Kona bike works...Oh well!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 16, 13 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [joshjan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that power number is legit, allow us to aero-plan for you, so that you can become world champion.

joshjan wrote:
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/EB6JMRUSIJH3XNCQQ23HCRWYHU

First time in Kona. Heat was brutal for me and the run turned south around mile 10. Just about the same power numbers here as Lake Placid for me. No pack riding for me due to my swimming prowess :)

6'1" 178 lbs.
327 watts np for 4:32

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My long runs are a mostly a mix of steady effort and tempo. Not alot of speed work. I come from a running background so I spend a significantly greater amount of time on the bike than I do running now.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [jmaley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:
4:49 Bike Split
145lbs
202W Avg
210NP
VI 1.04

I completely blew up on the run. First time that has ever happened as I normally run 3:00-3:05 off the bike. A bit of a disappointing day to say the least but life goes on. Some great AG performances on the day as I think conditions were ideal.

Was tha the fastest bike split out of the RCAF ? How tall are you ?....I'm going a hell of a lot slower (32 minutes) on 11 less watts (Quarq) and as I said, my neck issues do prevent some of that. Wheels and rubber can be upgraded too.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:17
6'1" 150
192/183 N/avg watts

1:20 swim
5:17 bike
3:25 run

FTP 250

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I was the only one here from the RCAF though I could be wrong. I am 5 ft 8in. My power numbers were very similar to Texas.

Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:
I believe I was the only one here from the RCAF though I could be wrong. I am 5 ft 8in. My power numbers were very similar to Texas.

Hey, I still count for RCAF, although I have been a civilian for 17 years...once an airman, you are that for life!

Nice work. Next year I hope to get a bit more optimized as my neck condition improves. I actually finally had a half decent swim (for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you still most definately count. I should have captioned my response with active service.

Quote | Reply
You're being too hard on yourself. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Sam
samgyde.com

Sam, you were over 20 min faster on the bike at Kona than at IMMT. Did you put out similar power at Tremblant? Were the conditions just that perfect at Kona for really fast bike times?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
263w ave
273w np

6'3"
Probably around 180 lbs (I never look at the scale race morning, as I always seemingly gain 8 lbs race week. I was 172 lbs in the med tent after though)

4:52 bike
3:09 run (stopped dead in my tracks, can't even walk, hamstring cramps coming down palani at mile 25, or else it might have been 3:05-3:06)

Please critique / tear apart the position

http://www.finisherpix.com/...-2013/pbib/1970.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, not available until spring 2014. Guess the jersey chose you.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I got hooked up with one out there through a friend. Maybe post a WTB add in the classifieds and you can get lucky and maybe someone will sell you one. They gave out a few of them out there. I will see you down at FL! I just kept it wet the whole time through every aid station and that made it cool.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
sgy wrote:
Sam
samgyde.com

Sam, you were over 20 min faster on the bike at Kona than at IMMT. Did you put out similar power at Tremblant? Were the conditions just that perfect at Kona for really fast bike times?

I did both Tremblant and Kona, and rode Kona 1 Watt harder than Tremblant and was ~9 minutes faster with identical set up. As a smaller rider, the climbing in Tremblant (around 2000 more feet more) hurts me less and the wind coming back from Hawi hurts me more. So I can see for a bigger riders, how the delta between the two courses might be a lot more, with Kona (this year), being a lot faster. Also I seemed to have gained around 6-8 lbs of fat between Tremblant and Kona. Maybe the delta would be even more if I was lighter. I sure as heck did not gain any FTP (might have just been the fact that my training volume was 35-50% lower than the lead up to Tremblant).

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next