Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:

I've always pondered the validity of that statement, to me it smells a bit of BS. I'm no expert on calcuating the required wattage difference between 27.5 mph and say 25 or 26 mph, but 360 is a LOT of watts, a lot of the top tri pros only have FTPs only a handful of watts higher than that; and you should be going HELLA fast.

Not only that, but torbjorn rode to a faster split than Starky on watts that don't sound very otherwordly - which leads me to believe that Starky is just talking.

That's because Starky had that aero-as-barndoor hydration setup between his bars. If he'd only listened to wsrobert he could have split the same on 340...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
sentania wrote:

I've always pondered the validity of that statement, to me it smells a bit of BS. I'm no expert on calcuating the required wattage difference between 27.5 mph and say 25 or 26 mph, but 360 is a LOT of watts, a lot of the top tri pros only have FTPs only a handful of watts higher than that; and you should be going HELLA fast.

Not only that, but torbjorn rode to a faster split than Starky on watts that don't sound very otherwordly - which leads me to believe that Starky is just talking.

That's because Starky had that aero-as-barndoor hydration setup between his bars. If he'd only listened to wsrobert he could have split the same on 340...

Are you talking at Kona or at Florida?

Seems I read that the Torhans30 tests faster than no bottle at all and faster than a BTA bottle.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
sentania wrote:
Except 2 (at least) other AG riders rode very similar times on a lot less power.

Given that josh said he rode very similar power at both IMLP and Kona the plausible possibilities are:
1> He is a brick
2> His power meter is defective
3> He failed to zero his power meter properly (other some variation of this)

Since he said that he used different PMs at IMLP and Kona - it probably rules out #2, which leaves options #1 and #3.

For comparison - I rode 2 different half ironmans (Racine and Pigman) this year at ~2:15 - so the same speed as Josh rode, and I did both of them on 70 to 80 less watts.

Won't even get into different courses/different days, but Sami Inkinen rolling 280W (to a similar time in Kona) has a PowerTap, so maybe 15 watts right there. Now we're at 295W and 320W for similar times, a small delta that could be wholly explainable by items like position, equipment, skill at slingshotting/legal draft and positioning tactics, power meter drift/calibration issues, etc. The scatterplots above show that generally power is a poor predictor of time, even on the same day in Kona. We have this notion that input = output and -1 is the relationship between watts and speed, which is not so. So to me Josh's numbers are credible. He outsplit Andy Potts at Lake Placid by 7 minutes iirc...would it surprise you if Andy rode 310W and Josh rode 320W on that day? That's probably about right...

Input does equal output at the front of the race - for the most part. Or if you're at least riding through everyone and not sitting in the draft packs.

Also...15 watts from powertap to crank based? Nadda. Unless you're rolling with an ungreased/terribly dirty/grimy chain.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was kidding. But I mean this one

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray says 5-15W. Roughly 15W was the delta for me when testing my PowerTap against my Quarq. I've heard this figure elsewhere, but yes it varies. Notice I said maybe
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gf was running a pt and srm for a bit before kona, and it was about 3-3.3% different. So at 300 watts... that's almost a 10w difference.

Quote | Reply
Not only that, but he's obviously using a heart rate monitor there. That had to have held him back as well...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Ray says 5-15W. Roughly 15W was the delta for me when testing my PowerTap against my Quarq. I've heard this figure elsewhere, but yes it varies. Notice I said maybe

The difference between a powertap and a quarq will not be a constant number, but most closely simply a percentage of power at that point in time. 5% diffference is probably reasonable. Things like a dirty drivetrain or bent derailleur hangers will make this difference greater.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good take. 4-5% was the difference I observed personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also ridden that split on a lot less watts, but also way slower on way more watts... so I don't think that's a great metric between courses.

Keep in mind Josh was out there an hour after the pros and almost 30 minutes after the top ager's, and was riding alone. The wind definitely picked up as the day went on, and the front of the ag field had some massive peletons. I was at the turn at mile ~45/75 and my brain exploded at how big some of the groups were. Only saw a few marshalls go by and they seemed to be further back, or stopped on the side of the road drinking coffee for 30 minutes (true story).

Didn't Rapp also say that the difference between the Mcclaren helmet and aero road helmet was 15 watts? Josh was wearing a regular road helmet, so that's gotta be a few more watts.. Add in a slightly upright position, and the fact that he probably wasn't turtling much bc he had to watch out for people going 50% slower than him, and it's not hard to believe it took that much wattage to go that fast.

Quote | Reply
The difference between a powertap and a quarq will not be a constant number, but most closely simply a percentage of power at that point in time. 5% diffference is probably reasonable.

When this has been tested in the lab, drivetrain losses are closer to a fixed wattage for the range you are interested in (like 150-500W). And it is ~8W if your gear is in good condition.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not doubting that his power meter said 317 watts or so at Kona and 324 watts at IMLP or that he is not capable of riding that many watts.

I'm simply stating that 317 watts is a *shit* load of watts, and that *many* other people have ridden faster, sometimes significantly so, on a significant number of fewer watts.

That suggests that either his power meter is defective, or that he has a lot of speed to be gained by tweaking small things - one of which, as you mentioned is to use an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I am not doubting that his power meter said 317 watts or so at Kona and 324 watts at IMLP or that he is not capable of riding that many watts.

I'm simply stating that 317 watts is a *shit* load of watts, and that *many* other people have ridden faster, sometimes significantly so, on a significant number of fewer watts.

That suggests that either his power meter is defective, or that he has a lot of speed to be gained by tweaking small things - one of which, as you mentioned is to use an aero helmet.

And get rid of the bell he has on his aerobars to let people know a freight train is coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Won't even get into different courses/different days
No need. I fully understand the differences in wattage different courses and different days on the same course can cause - though I will agree with bill - generally speaking power is an exceptionally good predictor of performance.

As I told snackchair, I'm not some hack who simply wishes his FTP was equal to Josh Becks IM power, so therefore thinks it is impossible for someone to ride an Ironman at that power. As I told snackchair, I fully believe that it's possible Josh rode that wattage, and that Andy Potts also rode your proposed wattage.

In reality, I'm a moderately fast and intelligent guy, who wishes his FTP was equal to Josh Becks IM power, and believes Josh Beck could have rode frighteningly fast if he simply paid attention to some of the aero details I have to pay attention to in order to remain competitive.

Bike
Position
helmet
Etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And get rid of the bell he has on his aerobars to let people know a freight train is coming.

No way - that is totally badass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not hard to believe it took that much wattage to go that fast.

I ballpark a CdA of ~.325 for him. I'm nearly as big as he is and that is my CdA on the road bike, with nothing aero at all. On the TT bike with old equipment, my CdA is ~.22. Granted I don't do Ironmans, but still... .25 should be possible while still being comfortable.

Hypothetically, if he could ride Kona with a CdA of .25 he would have gone ~4:09 on the same power.

There are a lot of people at Kona who spend little time and attention to getting aero dialed... pros even.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Hypothetically, if he could ride Kona with a CdA of .25 he would have gone ~4:09 on the same power.

That alone tells me your estimates must be off, since no one has come close to that.

Quote | Reply
Perhaps because no one with that sort of a setup has ridden 320 watts at Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Josh is a monster, but he's not the best there's ever been, so if numbers are saying he should be then some numbers are off.

Josh rode pro peloton for a few years before opting out of that lifestyle. Josh regularly races Powerman Zofingen where he does well, but one Vansteelant or another blows his doors off on both bike and run. Josh is a monster who could certainly benefit from spending time on the aero and equipment details, but any numbers that indicate he'd set a course record at Kona are off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The difference between a powertap and a quarq will not be a constant number, but most closely simply a percentage of power at that point in time. 5% diffference is probably reasonable.

When this has been tested in the lab, drivetrain losses are closer to a fixed wattage for the range you are interested in (like 150-500W). And it is ~8W if your gear is in good condition.

Wait people are interesting in power less than 500w?

Interesting, because there would be fixed wattage losses, like the derailleur pulleys (well those would also depend on chain speed). I guess that explains partly about why different lubricants can make a real difference, since they would not affect the component that is a % of power that much, but could make a bigger difference on some of these fixed losses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That alone tells me your estimates must be off, since no one has come close to that.

Estimate of what?

Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno - the data for Torbjorn's former course record is public, I'm not sure if Lieto's 2011 ride is, but if you poke around SRMs website there are hints that suggest that Normann's 2006 ride was in the ballpark of Josh's ride - wattage wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
There are a lot of people at Kona who spend little time and attention to getting aero dialed... pros even.

I would say thats less true now than it was just a few years ago. And might be more true of the womens field. But the men at the FOP seem to be listening...

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I have tested 2 different powertaps vs 2 different cranks (SRM, QUARQ), on the road @ ~250 watts (all properly calibrated and zeroed).
In both cases, the crank-based watts were 2-3 watts higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona and Age Group Power [Larbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larbot wrote:
rruff wrote:

I have tested 2 different powertaps vs 2 different cranks (SRM, QUARQ), on the road @ ~250 watts (all properly calibrated and zeroed).
In both cases, the crank-based watts were 2-3 watts higher.

Wow, 2-3 watts seems pretty good. I thought it was in the range of 5-8. But this also reminds of why Mirinda Carfrae has a big penalty vs. Caroline Steffen. Mirinda has to put out the exact same watts to overcome her drivetrain, and she has to put out the he exact same watts to turn her 700 wheels at 36 kph. The watts to overcome her drivetrain and the watts to overcome the wheels are a higher percentage of her overall brute power output. Definitely pays to be a bigger rider in Kona where watts per kilo are not that big deal and where brute top line watts matter more. The run is a different story though!
Quote Reply

Prev Next