Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Krispy2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo has started deleting any posts to their facebook page asking about the kickr issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is disappointing how this issue is being handled by Wahoo. Even with the public release in the official app update for power meter control there does not seem to be any instructions on their website and it is left up to us to figure out a protocol for application.

Can this trainer become a good tool for those who are serious about taking training to the next level?
It seems like it can be, but there is a whole lot left up to the consumer to figure it out on their own and a lot of that instruction is coming on threads like this.

Fortunately the Wahooligan beta and .26 firmware is working okay with a Quarq ELSA in TrainerRoad for me.

I was hoping the folks at TrainerRoad would have been interested in adding this option since PerfPro added the option. I believe they must have better programmers, understanding of training with a power meter and are open to inform users on a forum on how to setup and apply the software.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
It is disappointing how this issue is being handled by Wahoo. Even with the public release in the official app update for power meter control there does not seem to be any instructions on their website and it is left up to us to figure out a protocol for application.

Can this trainer become a good tool for those who are serious about taking training to the next level?
It seems like it can be, but there is a whole lot left up to the consumer to figure it out on their own and a lot of that instruction is coming on threads like this.

Fortunately the Wahooligan beta and .26 firmware is working okay with a Quarq ELSA in TrainerRoad for me.

I was hoping the folks at TrainerRoad would have been interested in adding this option since PerfPro added the option. I believe they must have better programmers, understanding of training with a power meter and are open to inform users on a forum on how to setup and apply the software.

I agree... I really like TR. I wouldn't even consider Perf Pro if TR had a tight control to sync my SRM power with KICKR power.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
...I believe they must have better programmers...

What makes you say so? Did they both submit you source code of their software for audit?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

I agree... I really like TR. I wouldn't even consider Perf Pro if TR had a tight control to sync my SRM power with KICKR power.

Hey Everyone,

Just did a quick read of this thread. I didn't realize that so many people were using the Wahoo beta firmware.

In defense of the watts being off...that's why it's still in beta on the Wahoo side. We were going to wait until Wahoo was out of beta before we added it to TR. Sometimes adding beta software into a production app might cause more harm than good. It's beta for a reason :).

It's very interesting that some of you are getting watts that are right on with SRM and the Kickr with Perfpro but not while using the Wahoo app to do the pairing. As far as I know, there's no difference in the pairing process. Perfpro will just say "Hey Kickr, check out ANT ID 1234". The rest would be the same as it involves the firmware on the Kickr.

I'm going to email Wahoo to see what's going on and to see how close they are to releasing the firmware.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

I'm now considering PerfPro. I thought I found the fix using Krispy's hack, but after a week of having the power on my Power2max and the kickr match within 2w, the kickr is now reading about 7-8w higher again. I guess that's good when I'm using Zwift. I can't see why TR cannot implement the same fix that perfpro has done.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just did a quick read of this thread. I didn't realize that so many people were using the Wahoo beta firmware.

In defense of the watts being off...that's why it's still in beta on the Wahoo side. We were going to wait until Wahoo was out of beta before we added it to TR. Sometimes adding beta software into a production app might cause more harm than good. It's beta for a reason :).

It's very interesting that some of you are getting watts that are right on with SRM and the Kickr with Perfpro but not while using the Wahoo app to do the pairing. As far as I know, there's no difference in the pairing process. Perfpro will just say "Hey Kickr, check out ANT ID 1234". The rest would be the same as it involves the firmware on the Kickr.

I'm going to email Wahoo to see what's going on and to see how close they are to releasing the firmware.

Nate... FYI... Wahoo is no longer Beta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It still is unless they released a new public version of the firmware. They only released the Wahoo app but the firmware (ver .26) is still beta.

Donzo98 wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Nate... FYI... Wahoo is no longer Beta.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Perfpro will just say "Hey Kickr, check out ANT ID 1234". The rest would be the same as it involves the firmware on the Kickr.

Interesting, I thought the PerfPro solution worked without needing the new Kickr beta firmware.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Perfpro will just say "Hey Kickr, check out ANT ID 1234". The rest would be the same as it involves the firmware on the Kickr.

Interesting, I thought the PerfPro solution worked without needing the new Kickr beta firmware.

Very interesting. I've got an email out to Wahoo and I'll look into this more. Thanks for the heads up!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like PerfPro is doing the work.

from their release notes at http://perfprostudio.com/beta/Studio.htm

Quote:
There is now an option within the Rider Display's KICKR/PowerBeam/Power Meter menu to control the trainer with the power meter. This allows you to now view the watts from the power meter as well as use its power to help adjust the ERG/FTP% workout to the proper load based on the power meter. For KICKRs, a BETA firmware has been developed to handle the changes, but that has not been implemented yet. Right now, PerfPRO does all the work to make this happen and is spread across all controllable trainers. This will improve in time and I ask for your patience as it is dialed in.

Nate Pearson wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Very interesting. I've got an email out to Wahoo and I'll look into this more. Thanks for the heads up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad actual customers can't get feedback from Wahoo

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kostya416 wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
...I believe they must have better programmers...

What makes you say so? Did they both submit you source code of their software for audit?

You're right I wrongly made an opinion comment on observation. Should I apologize for expressing my opinion?

Observation: TrainerRoad seems pretty responsive when a customer has a question and they are continually providing updates and openly provide dialog with customers. My real life experience with Wahoo after opening a work ticket was, clean the sensor and then I was supposedly put on a list for a calibration kit for which the technician said it probably wouldn't correct the wattage offset. After that I never heard from them again even after I did another follow up email - in a very cordial tone.

Major Kudos to Drew at PerfPro for releasing a solution for power meter control a week before Wahoo provided a public software update. Observation based on several PerfPro users stating their SRM meters are controlling the Kickr, whereas, a couple SRM users stating they still cannot get their power meters to work with the Wahoo release. Hmmm......
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spike - PerfPro is a standalone software and has nothing to do with the Wahoo apps or firmware. PerfPro is now designed so that you can choose to use your power meter to control the Kickr. No Wahoo beta crap, no drift, no 20-40 watts off, no belt tensioning, no standing on 1 leg, eyes closed, touching your nose and making a wish that your workouts match your power meter. Just fire up PerfPro, select let power meter control trainer, and start your workout. Your workout watts will match your power meter bc its your power meter that is controlling the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Spike - PerfPro is a standalone software and has nothing to do with the Wahoo apps or firmware. PerfPro is now designed so that you can choose to use your power meter to control the Kickr. No Wahoo beta crap, no drift, no 20-40 watts off, no belt tensioning, no standing on 1 leg, eyes closed, touching your nose and making a wish that your workouts match your power meter. Just fire up PerfPro, select let power meter control trainer, and start your workout. Your workout watts will match your power meter bc its your power meter that is controlling the workout.

just how it's supposed to work for power meter users.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Nate and TR will soon get this fixed and Tr will offer the same functionality as PerfPro/Beta app. You have to take his point that you dont incorporate someone else's beta f/ware into your product and the associated risks.

PerfPro looks interesting but being invested in TR already for a while I'm loathed to change. The workout library is vast and the training plans are superb and there's simply nothing as comprehensive in PerfPro from what I can see. If I was just making all my own workouts each time then it might be different but right now I'll wait and see for a while but I'm lucky that my Kickr is pretty accurate and the beta .26 seems to be working OK anyway.

Wahoo seem to be the real disappointment here and there lack of communication to people affected by the issue is pretty much text book 'how to piss your customers off' in this day and age!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no reason why a software cannot make sure the resistance is properly regulated.

If the software can read the output from the power meter(tr does this)
Then it can surely adjust the erg resistance up or down in real time just like it does for the various training plans.

It is really unfortunate that wahoo has turned a total blind eye on this issue. A thousand dollar item is certainly not trivial by any stretch of imagination.

sp1ke wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys...

I downloaded Perf Pro for a trial... it's going to take some getting used to (if I decide to stay with it).

I'm somewhat computer savvy... and I got it up and running.

I did a .75 IF and it tracked beautifully with my SRM. As others have stated... no Wahoo App needed to pair or anything. First thing I did was go into to Wahoo Fitness App to disconnect my SRM from the KICKR in the app.

Then I assigned the SRM to myself in Perf Pro. Need to explore the Perf Pro features a bit.

I really hope Nate gets its worked out with TR.... as I'm just so used to it by now :).
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 15, 15 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say that PerfPro is a bit of an info-overload at first sight. My first impression was "how the hell do I start a ride" but after some clicking here and there it was easy. I find creating workouts with PP much easier than TR. Not a knock on TR which I've used a lot in the past, I personally have switched to PP for all my workouts. I do love the simplicity of the TR iPad app and once TR works like PP I'll use that occasionally instead of firing up the computer and tv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo, it does take awhile to poke around in PP to learn everything that it can do. You just have to spend time with it. Creating workouts is super easy. Be sure to create a custom display with the data fields that you want to watch during your workout. There is also an optional line graph that you can open up during your workout that displays your data as you progress during the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Donzo, it does take awhile to poke around in PP to learn everything that it can do. You just have to spend time with it. Creating workouts is super easy. Be sure to create a custom display with the data fields that you want to watch during your workout. There is also an optional line graph that you can open up during your workout that displays your data as you progress during the workout.

I was looking for that line line graph... to see how well the SRM was tracking. Never found it though...

I like how TR automatically uploads the rides their site too.... can PP do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo - If you set up the custom data field display, you can have it display Target (desired workout watts) and Power meter watts so that you can watch your power meter watts. When you open up a workout, on the data display screen, there are 3 icons down in the bottom right of it. If you click on the middle one, the line graph opens up and you can select which data to watch (HR, watts, cadence, etc)
Yes, PP can automatically upload any workout to multiple sites like TrainingPeaks, Strava, etc. You set it up under Options. Then use the upload to web button.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Donzo - If you set up the custom data field display, you can have it display Target (desired workout watts) and Power meter watts so that you can watch your power meter watts. When you open up a workout, on the data display screen, there are 3 icons down in the bottom right of it. If you click on the middle one, the line graph opens up and you can select which data to watch (HR, watts, cadence, etc)
Yes, PP can automatically upload any workout to multiple sites like TrainingPeaks, Strava, etc. You set it up under Options. Then use the upload to web button.

Ahhh... thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my results using the public Wahoo app, the beta firmware, TrainerRoad, Garmin Vectors (all linked together), and in parallel for comparison: Vectors and Edge 800, captured in Training Peaks.

What follows comes from a threshold interval workout, targeting 290W.

Here's the TR screenshot. Apart from a few oddities at startup, it tracks very well. 290W on the nose.

Here's the Training Peaks screenshot. This is direct from the Vectors to the Edge 800. Looks more volatile as TP does less averaging on display, but the measured power in the interval tracks what TR reports very closely indeed. Certainly good enough for me.

That said, I'm still furious that the Kickr's own power measurement is way off because (a) I have to have another expensive power meter to get the Kickr to behave properly, and (b) as I swap from my road bike to my TT bike (specificity of training) I have to move my Vectors from one bike to another too. **** NEITHER OF THESE SHOULD BE NECESSARY ****

On a slightly different topic, having tried with both TR (normal use) and PerfPro (experiments), I'm also considering a switch to PerfPro, even though I **HATE*** the PerfPro user interface. The simple reason is that PerfPro's workout creator is so much better, faster and less hassle. Right now, I'm creating TR workouts in Excel, manually pasting snippets into a text file which I then import into TR. Ugly. I'd love to see a PerfPro-style workout creator for TR.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Bigpikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigpikle wrote:
Sounds like Nate and TR will soon get this fixed and Tr will offer the same functionality as PerfPro/Beta app.

BP, that is my hope as well. I trust Nate and his crew will get something incorporated as soon as they get focused and it will be competitive to PerfPro rather than trying to match Wahoo. I will hang on and use TrainerRoad since I am fortunate to have my Quarq controlling the efforts until they get their own solution.

What I find interesting is that PerfPro got this to work regardless of needing to use a Kickr firmware update. Is that correct? There is no mention of it on the website and unless I have missed it those using the PerfPro beta have not mentioned needing to update the firmware. I find that to be really interesting and it implies that PerfPro may have figured out something totally different because Wahoo's solution was both an app and firmware update.
Quote Reply

Prev Next