Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bassn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bassn wrote:
In option #1, will the Kickr still be controlled by external power? Ideally I would like to have the Vectors control the Kickr and still be able to see the difference between the two. I decided to make the switch to PP due to the issues I was having with TR.

Correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VeloTron can change power within 100 milliseconds and it's not even the fastest out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
VeloTron can change power within 100 milliseconds and it's not even the fastest out there.

Can't imagine waiting 10-30 seconds for a power change and some folks saying this is okay?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Can't imagine waiting 10-30 seconds for a power change and some folks saying this is okay?

Ditto. That would eliminate tabata intervals or even the short 10-second 'pop' every 3-minutes in an 'hour of power' style interval workout. Very confusing considering the Tacx Bushido and new Bushido SMART will can effect such changes to motorbrake resistance typically in ~1-2 seconds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: May 23, 15 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In option #1, will the Kickr still be controlled by external power? Ideally I would like to have the Vectors control the Kickr and still be able to see the difference between the two./quote]

Well, I maybe confused here and have not tried this but in theory, if the Vectors are controlling the Kickr then the output between the two is the same (except maybe a watt or so for smoothing, etc) So there is not a "difference " between the two
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that the VeloTron can easily be programmed for interval workouts with short, rapidly-changing resistance such as Tabata intervals and do them well.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I can confirm that the VeloTron can easily be programmed for interval workouts with short, rapidly-changing resistance such as Tabata intervals and do them well.

What is the prize difference between Velotron and Kickr? And has the Velotron also Ant+ wireless communication?
Last edited by: Livio Livius: May 24, 15 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

What is the prize difference between Velotron and Kickr? And has the Velotron also Ant+ wireless communication?

You assume one cannot find things used. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For less than a $1000?

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
For less than a $1000?

Joel

So, seems like the price of a kickr with the PM stuff is close to 2K.

If you knew how much I paid for the velotrons, you would be sick. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No the price of a kickr with a crank based power meter is only about $1500 because the kickr can be gotten for just under a $1000 new and a crank based power meter is probably somewhere about $500-$700 new. Going used drops the price a lot for both. And I already had a powermeter so my price was only $1000 new.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice if you live in the US but in Europe no chance to get Velotron at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus is pretty difficult to ride a velotron during a race I hear...

joelt wrote:
No the price of a kickr with a crank based power meter is only about $1500 because the kickr can be gotten for just under a $1000 new and a crank based power meter is probably somewhere about $500-$700 new. Going used drops the price a lot for both. And I already had a powermeter so my price was only $1000 new.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Velotron can't be used with third party software either... as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
The Velotron can't be used with third party software either... as far as I know.

Does work with ErgVideo's.

IMO, folks spend way too much time worrying about things like 3rd party stuff, rather than just riding. I can do anything I need
with the old original Velotron sw. I can make any course I want to use with it like I did with the IMLT course.

When I first got a Computrainer, I was all into the riding on line, etc stuff. But at the end of the day, I just spin 3 days a week at a fixed wattage,
and the other 3 days do an interval set. Nothing fancy, just do the work.

But I fully understand these things new are expensive, which is why I could never buy a new one. And finding used for a decent price is not easy.

It would just drive me nuts if I bought something, no matter what the cost, and I was spending more time messing around with it to get it to work,
than riding.

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Okay, here's our first shot at controlling the Kickr (or any other electronic trainer) with a power meter.

It will automatically do this, no need to do anything on your side. Just pair a power meter and an electronic trainer.

Make sure you have "Use power from electronic trainer" option off under the profile tab in the app. If this works, we'll probably remove that feature.

Ray, we don't have an option to turn this off yet. If my algorithm works, we'll add an option to turn this off.

There's some potential tuning to do with this, so please test it out and email me at nate@trainerroad.com with the results. Right now I have it set fairly aggressive to get the PM and Kickr to lock in quickly. Within 30 seconds you should be good to go. If either PM drifts during the workout it should still stay synced.

If this works, we'll port this code to iOS and get a beta out for you guys to use before we submit to the app store.

Again, this is beta, so if you'd like to wait until this is ready for prime time please don't download the links below.

Thanks for the input on this everyone! :)

Mac
https://www.dropbox.com/...Road.2.6.34.dmg?dl=0

PC
https://www.dropbox.com/...oad.2.6.500.exe?dl=0

Is this still an automatic/seamless process in the newest firmware (1.3.32)? I'd like to disable the setting in the Wahoo app so I can get Zwift working correctly, but want to make sure it's being managed in TR.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [CZS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, our control or offset works with their new firmware.

I think that's what you're asking, if I missed it please let me know.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

What I'd like to do is turn off the the option to link the Kickr and PM in the Wahoo app and instead rely on TR to control the Kickr using data from the PM. My question is, does TR still do this seamlessly if both the Kickr and PM are paired, or do I need to do adjust a setting in TR?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [CZS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:

Is this still an automatic/seamless process in the newest firmware (1.3.32)? I'd like to disable the setting in the Wahoo app so I can get Zwift working correctly, but want to make sure it's being managed in TR.

Can you share your zwift problem? I rode zwift with the PM plugged in the wahoo app and by the end of the 2nd lap my power numbers where way low on the Kickr. I shut off the PM info in wahoo during the ride and everything seemed to work great after that. Just curious if you are seeing the same thing. I just turn on the PM stuff in the wahoo app when I want to do ERG mode. Otherwise I will leave it off. Over about a dozen zwift rides my Kickr ranges from 5-10 avg watts higher then my stages PM. That is an acceptable margin for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

What I'd like to do is turn off the the option to link the Kickr and PM in the Wahoo app and instead rely on TR to control the Kickr using data from the PM. My question is, does TR still do this seamlessly if both the Kickr and PM are paired, or do I need to do adjust a setting in TR?

Ah! I got it. There's a setting under profile in the desktop app in the beta. You'll need to make sure that's on for it to work.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:

Can you share your zwift problem? I rode zwift with the PM plugged in the wahoo app and by the end of the 2nd lap my power numbers where way low on the Kickr. I shut off the PM info in wahoo during the ride and everything seemed to work great after that. Just curious if you are seeing the same thing. I just turn on the PM stuff in the wahoo app when I want to do ERG mode. Otherwise I will leave it off. Over about a dozen zwift rides my Kickr ranges from 5-10 avg watts higher then my stages PM. That is an acceptable margin for me.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behavior in Zwift. Having the Kickr and PM paired in the Wahoo app seems to cause the reported power to be WAY low in Zwift. I don't really have an explanation for why this is happening, but at this point, I think the best option would be to allow TR to control the Kickr through the power reported by the PM instead of the wahoo app doing it at the firmware level. Supposedly Zwift is planning to implement a similar functionality down the road, but for now I think I can live with the Kickr overstating my power *a bit* in Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behavior in Zwift. Having the Kickr and PM paired in the Wahoo app seems to cause the reported power to be WAY low in Zwift. I don't really have an explanation for why this is happening, but at this point, I think the best option would be to allow TR to control the Kickr through the power reported by the PM instead of the wahoo app doing it at the firmware level. Supposedly Zwift is planning to implement a similar functionality down the road, but for now I think I can live with the Kickr overstating my power *a bit* in Zwift

I am expecting this is a Kickr bug. I don't believe they have perfected the offsetting/syncing up the power while in Sim mode. Knowing you are seeing similar problems I'm going to submit a ticket with Wahoo.

UPDATE - Ticket submitted with Wahoo. I will post their response when I get it.
Last edited by: cbs78: May 26, 15 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Ah! I got it. There's a setting under profile in the desktop app in the beta. You'll need to make sure that's on for it to work.

This would be the "Use power from electronic trainer" option, correct?

So, checked = Kickr power reported/recorded, non checked = paired power meter controls kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:

I am expecting this is a Kickr bug. I don't believe they have perfected the offsetting/syncing up the power while in Sim mode. Knowing you are seeing similar problems I'm going to submit a ticket with Wahoo.

Awesome, keep us posted!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

This would be the "Use power from electronic trainer" option, correct?

So, checked = Kickr power reported/recorded, non checked = paired power meter controls kickr?

This is my experience - Unchecked my Garmin reading from PM pretty much exactly matches the number recorded from TR and the Power number avg. for intervals seem to be with 1-2 watts of the target power except short hard segments (30 seconds or less at v02max and up).
Quote Reply

Prev Next