Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Carlton Bale wrote:
Thanks to FeltRider and a couple of other sources, I finally got my setup working! Very glad to eliminate the 40 watt mis-match between my Power2Max power meter and my KICKR.

FYI, here are the general steps. This is mostly outlined in the cycling addiction blog post, but a couple of details were missing.
  • The Wahoo Fitness iOS v5.5.0 app was released on March 9, but the KICKR public firmware is not out yet. Both are needed to enable this feature. However, you can load the beta firmware now and get it working while we wait for the public firmware release. These are the general steps I followed.
  • Use iOS Wahoo Utility, select KICKR
  • Use the "secret swipe" to display the beta firmware (quickly swipe from lightening bolt icon to happy face icon, quickly lift finger, then quickly swipe from happy face icon to lightening bolt icon. Swipe instruction video: http://ppst.co/1huMRbL )
  • Select and load firmware version 1.3.26
  • After firmware update completes, Unplug and replug power to the KICKR

• Next go to the Wahoo Fitness App
  • Select sensors, KICKR
  • Enable "Control with ANT+ Power Meter" option
  • Enter the ANT+ id of your power meter (4- or 5-digit number printed on the power meter, or get it via PC/Mac using ANT+ dongle and the Trainer Road "Devices" screen.)

KICKR will now read the ANT+ Power Meter and use it to measure power output (instead of the frequently flawed internal resistance calculation that can be 20-40 watts off on some KICKRs.) Hope this helps everyone with KICKRs that inaccurately calculate power (like mine. . .)

I've followed these steps both yesterday and today. Re-installed the v5.5.0 app twice. Still getting the red dot.
PM is recording via my Garmin.
Wattage is still off.

Witn my SRM... I have to spin the cranks a bunch of times till the ICON turns green. Does the ICON just stay red??
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Carlton Bale wrote:
Thanks to FeltRider and a couple of other sources, I finally got my setup working! Very glad to eliminate the 40 watt mis-match between my Power2Max power meter and my KICKR.

FYI, here are the general steps. This is mostly outlined in the cycling addiction blog post, but a couple of details were missing.
  • The Wahoo Fitness iOS v5.5.0 app was released on March 9, but the KICKR public firmware is not out yet. Both are needed to enable this feature. However, you can load the beta firmware now and get it working while we wait for the public firmware release. These are the general steps I followed.
  • Use iOS Wahoo Utility, select KICKR
  • Use the "secret swipe" to display the beta firmware (quickly swipe from lightening bolt icon to happy face icon, quickly lift finger, then quickly swipe from happy face icon to lightening bolt icon. Swipe instruction video: http://ppst.co/1huMRbL )
  • Select and load firmware version 1.3.26
  • After firmware update completes, Unplug and replug power to the KICKR

• Next go to the Wahoo Fitness App
  • Select sensors, KICKR
  • Enable "Control with ANT+ Power Meter" option
  • Enter the ANT+ id of your power meter (4- or 5-digit number printed on the power meter, or get it via PC/Mac using ANT+ dongle and the Trainer Road "Devices" screen.)

KICKR will now read the ANT+ Power Meter and use it to measure power output (instead of the frequently flawed internal resistance calculation that can be 20-40 watts off on some KICKRs.) Hope this helps everyone with KICKRs that inaccurately calculate power (like mine. . .)

I've followed these steps both yesterday and today. Re-installed the v5.5.0 app twice. Still getting the red dot.
PM is recording via my Garmin.
Wattage is still off.

Same. The annoying that was that I had the wahooligan app working fine and removed it prior to trying the new public version of Fitness, which now does not work.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This worked like a charm. Loaded up the updated Wahoo Fitness app (Not the Wahooligan beta).

Selected the Bluetooth KICKR sensor and changed option to "Control w/ANT+ Power Meter" as well as "Cadence from ANT+".

I'm sort of confused about the Cadence as it doesn't have a field to specify the ANT ID of the sensor.

With the KICKR connected via BT, I connected the Stages and Garmin Cadence sensor via ANT+. Started a workout in Wahoo reading power from the KICKR and compared with the Garmin 810 getting power from Stages. Spot on. There's a little lag in the way the Wahoo app was smoothing the data, but in the end, all the averages were nearly dead on.

The best thing is that once you set it, you don't need the Wahoo Fitness app again. Next up, started TrainerRoad on iPhone with an ANT+ dongle. I deleted the Stages ANT+ and BT sensors from TrainerRoad. TR matched up perfectly with the Garmin 810.

Brilliant fix, glad that I can stop recording sessions with the 810 and just use TR.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
I'm sort of confused about the Cadence as it doesn't have a field to specify the ANT ID of the sensor.

It gets cadence from the power meter, not a separate cadence sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loaded up the latest beta firmware (.26) with the new app. Even with the power meter controlling the kickr (green icon), the power meter(Power2Max) is still showing lower watts than the kickr when in ERG mode. I find it takes the Kickr a while to try and adjust to the power reading from the power meter, though at times it just never does. Going to do a spin down this weekend and try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
Loaded up the latest beta firmware (.26) with the new app. Even with the power meter controlling the kickr (green icon), the power meter(Power2Max) is still showing lower watts than the kickr when in ERG mode. I find it takes the Kickr a while to try and adjust to the power reading from the power meter, though at times it just never does. Going to do a spin down this weekend and try again.

How much lower??
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would vary from a couple watts to up to 10. I was just doing an easy ride this morning, but you can see the gradual decline in power vs where it started the interval at. TR was controlling the Kickr via erg mode, but reporting power from my power meter. Around the 18 minute mark, I switched over to resistance mode on the Kickr and finished up the ride.

http://www.trainerroad.com/...rides/1829877-Pettit
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxtri wrote:
It would vary from a couple watts to up to 10. I was just doing an easy ride this morning, but you can see the gradual decline in power vs where it started the interval at. TR was controlling the Kickr via erg mode, but reporting power from my power meter. Around the 18 minute mark, I switched over to resistance mode on the Kickr and finished up the ride.

http://www.trainerroad.com/...rides/1829877-Pettit

Interesting... my rides have been a touch under the wattage as well. Here is what i did last night....

You can see my last segment was 184... and supposed to be 188. 97.8% of where it was supposed to be. If I had a choice it would be OVER by 2% instead of under, but NO WAY I would complain about that compared to what I was getting.

http://www.trainerroad.com/...rides/1828382-Carter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I updated the firmware with the secret swipe yesterday and did my first ride this morning using my power meter (p2m) for resistance control in erg mode. The first 15 minutes or so were not 100%, almost as if things were settling, but by the time it got to my main set of intervals things were pretty close. By the end it was bang on. Here's my TrainerRoad file (I was doing the ride at 95%, btw)...

http://www.trainerroad.com/.../rides/1829212-M2-90
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [H. Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H. Legs wrote:
I updated the firmware with the secret swipe yesterday and did my first ride this morning using my power meter (p2m) for resistance control in erg mode. The first 15 minutes or so were not 100%, almost as if things were settling, but by the time it got to my main set of intervals things were pretty close. By the end it was bang on. Here's my TrainerRoad file (I was doing the ride at 95%, btw)...

That's sort of what I am seeing also... the warm up is slightly under target... but the "meat" of the workout is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [H. Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H. Legs wrote:

Yikes, did you link to the correct file? It seems way out of wack to me.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 13, 15 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to look at the green line, not the blue boxes. I knocked the intensity down to 95% because I suck at long threshold intervals. Also, I only completed 3 of the 4 -- after that I just switched to level mode and finished the rest of the workout at a much slower pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H. Legs wrote:
You have to look at the green line, not the blue boxes. I knocked the intensity down to 95% because I suck at long threshold intervals. Also, I only completed 3 of the 4 -- after that I just switched to level mode and finished the rest of the workout at a much slower pace.

Gocha, between old eyes and the little net book the green line escaped me. Yes it does look pretty darn good.

Carry on.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who has been able to get the wahoo fitness app on android with the option for powermeter control working ?
Can they say what android device they are using ?

I am using a Samsung S4 mini phone and the option is not there, am able to flash with beta software though.

Got my replacement belt installed but unfortunately I am not an apple user, Wahoo needs to be clear on their app
versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another annoying KICKR problem.

Using the App...

Today's ride... 10 watts off is too much... especially if it is being directed by my SRM. I can live with the last 3 intervals.

First interval... 10 watts low (165-175)
Second interval... 5 watts low (183-188)
Third interval... 7 watts low (193-200)
Fourth interval... 2 watts over (177-175)

http://www.trainerroad.com/.../1835806-Mont-Albert
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 14, 15 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also found an offset between the Kickr and SRM using firmware 26 and the SRM controlling the Kickr -- green power icon visible. I've got a PC7 recording the SRM and Trainer Road using the Kickr power.

Yesterday, on an easy steady Trainer Road ride at 150 watts, I split a long 20 minute interval between SRM control of Kickr and Kickr self-control

With the target of 150 watts, for 10 minutes:

SRM control of Kickr: SRM reported 144.5 watt average, Kickr on Trainer Road reported 150 watts.

Kickr self-control: SRM reported 148.6 watts average and Kickr on Traner Road reported 150 watts.

My Kickr is October 2013 and has always been very close to the SRM. I've gone back to Kickr self-control. I have seen similar behavior with the Kickr reading higher than the SRM with the SRM controlling on several other rides earlier this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 watts +/- seems pretty reasonable to me. That's likely in the margin for error between the SRM and KICKR.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
10 watts +/- seems pretty reasonable to me. That's likely in the margin for error between the SRM and KICKR.

Yes... but the KICKR is being controlled by the SRM... so it shouldn't really be off by much if at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Yes... but the KICKR is being controlled by the SRM... so it shouldn't really be off by much if at all.

Very true. I wonder what the lag time is, and if it would be to blame? It takes it some time to receive the signal, and then adjust the tension. I'd bet 10W is about the best they're going to get it. It actually seems pretty darn good to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Very true. I wonder what the lag time is, and if it would be to blame? It takes it some time to receive the signal, and then adjust the tension. I'd bet 10W is about the best they're going to get it. It actually seems pretty darn good to me.

I don't think that's the only issue... look at this ride. If it was lag, it would be the same for all the intervals.

http://www.trainerroad.com/.../1835806-Mont-Albert

The first interval is 10 under... and the last is 2 over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I do my intervals in Perfpro the watts are 1-2watts off of the target wattage. If an outside program like Perforo can make it happen, why can't the maker of the Kickr, Wahoo, get right?

As for lag, it takes about 8-10secomds for my SRM/Kickr to adjuster on Perforo then it holds steady and smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for PerfPro, same results as yatyas - 1-2 watts off (avg and NP) so it can be done correctly. It is not a lag issue or a "crank vs rear wheel" power meter issue. This is software functionality.
Yatyas - sometimes when jumping between intervals, it takes my PP 45 seconds to "smooth out". Not sure why. But it seems like PP accounts for this and the averages work out.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
+1 for PerfPro, same results as yatyas - 1-2 watts off (avg and NP) so it can be done correctly. It is not a lag issue or a "crank vs rear wheel" power meter issue. This is software functionality.
Yatyas - sometimes when jumping between intervals, it takes my PP 45 seconds to "smooth out". Not sure why. But it seems like PP accounts for this and the averages work out.

Sounds like it's time for a "Trial" of Perf Pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A month or two ago I had the beta working with my Stages meter and my tests in Trainer Road showed that the Kickr followed the Stages very closely. If you're seeing a 10 watt difference, I doubt the power meter is actually controlling the Kickr.

My main bike uses an SRM power meter and I've never been able to get it to work with any of the betas. Not sure if this software solution from Wahoo is ever going to pan-out.

Instead, I've used the belt-tensioning method to calibrate the Kickr and my Kickr numbers are always within 1-2 watts average compared to the SRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, gonna try it this week, too bad i paid tr for a year up front,
Donzo98 wrote:

Sounds like it's time for a "Trial" of Perf Pro.
Quote Reply

Prev Next