Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.... Going to do it today.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So.... I did the Krispy Fix today...

I took off the cover (not 100% necessary as Krispy pointed out)... actually there are 5 screws to remove. 3 on the drive side using a hex wrench and 2 on the non-drive side using a small Philips head.

I warmed up the KICKR for 15 minutes or so. Did a spindown... and got 416 with a 26.7 sec duration.

I then did the same workout as I did yesterday for consistency. This is yesterday's workout. You can see the target power and actual were 20 watts apart.

This is today's workout. I did an initial adjustment before I started... and then 2 more adjustments. You can see them at roughly 6 minutes and 30 minutes in. So... it WORKED!! The target and actual power were dead on. Thanks to Krispy for outlining the fix!!

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do abiut 2-3 turns ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
Did you do abiut 2-3 turns ?

More than that. Not sure how many though. I just did a workout... and adjusted as needed.

Here is a PRE/POST view...

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you can't just adjust the 2mm screw. It looks like to me that you have to take the cover off and then loosen the larger bolt that holds the belt tension wheel in place and then adjust the 2mm screw. Krispy never mentions this.
So did you loosen the belt wheel first? And which way did you turn the tension screw?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
But you can't just adjust the 2mm screw. It looks like to me that you have to take the cover off and then loosen the larger bolt that holds the belt tension wheel in place and then adjust the 2mm screw. Krispy never mentions this.
So did you loosen the belt wheel first? And which way did you turn the tension screw?

Krispy mentions it for sure...

I didn't really have to loosen the belt tension wheel using the 5mm hex. I did tighten it down though AFTER the adjustment just to be sure.

You really don't have to take the cover off... but I did anyway so I could see what I was doing. I turned the tension screw clockwise.

Here is what it looks like inside with the cover off... this is a view from the drive side as you can tell. The derailleur is on the top right.

The yellow arrow is pointing to the 5mm hex screw which Krispy said needed to be loosened prior to the fix. The 5mm screw is accessed through the drive side of the KICKR.

The red arrow is pointing to the 2.5mm hex which adjusts the tension on the belt (this is the important one). You can see the angle of it... and it is accessed through the back of the KICKR.

Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 1, 15 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
busted my belt this morning,
been running my unit with the retensioning fudge.

I upgraded to a better PC last week to be able to run zwift.

Found that Trainerroad was showing the kickr running about 10w lower, not sure if because it was a new tr install,
so this morning after the first interval I tightened about a 3/4 turn and a couple minutes
into the next interval I heard/felt skipping.

I think my tension might have been 3-4 turns over the spindown as described by Krispy.

Gonna take a run to some auto places to see if they have this size belt.

I always considered effects of additional tension however given the size of the bearings and the
belt appearing to be car type I would not have thought it would bust so easily
as in cars belts would be tightened way more than this, I could still easily push the belt with my finger and get some movement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the KICKR was reading 10W lower than the Quarg... you should have loosened the belt. Maybe you just mistyped.

At nay rate... I hope you get it worked out today.

Post an update if you have the time. Good luck!
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 3, 15 4:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a "gear" or "timing" belt..........not like a flat or V belt on a car. It's not supposed to be tight and wont stretch. The reason for the teeth is so you don't need tension for friction on pulleys - not trying to be bummer but more - FYI
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gormleyflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gormleyflyer wrote:
it's a "gear" or "timing" belt..........not like a flat or V belt on a car. It's not supposed to be tight and wont stretch. The reason for the teeth is so you don't need tension for friction on pulleys - not trying to be bummer but more - FYI

All in can say is that after doing the "fix" I did 2 workouts.

First workout showed AP and Target power were exactly the same.

Second workout showed they were within 1.5%.

Before the fix... my KICKR was reporting roughly 14% higher than my SRM.

So... something got fixed :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so basically your just tightening/loosening the belt until the power from an external pm agrees with kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gavdxb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gavdxb wrote:
so basically your just tightening/loosening the belt until the power from an external pm agrees with kickr?

Yes... Exactly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten mine to match up almost dead on now after the initial drift. The first 15 minutes the kickr actually reads lower numbers, but by the time the main set comes the kickr and my power2max are within 1w in avg power for intervals 3 minutes long. It took a few adjustments to get it right. I even had a 5 x 20 workout last week that had the intervals within 4w. The kickr was actually reading lower at that point.
Last edited by: astig: Mar 3, 15 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
I've gotten mine to match up almost dead on now after the initial drift. The first 15 minutes the kickr actually reads lower numbers, but by the time the main set comes the kickr and my power2max are within 1w in avg power for intervals 3 minutes long. It took a few adjustments to get it right. I even had a 5 x 20 workout last week that had the intervals within 4w. The kickr was actually reading lower at that point.

It is so nice to have it line up correctly isn't it??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
astig wrote:

It is so nice to have it line up correctly isn't it??

yes, but now my "TR power" is lower. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, typo, kickr was putting out less resistance than it should have.

no luck with the belt, I don't live in the US and the belt is a bit smaller than what any car would use for timing etc.

Will have to order it, it is a gates 850-5m-15
Guess I have to return to training on the road for the next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. I just downloaded the BETA 5.71.25 and it allows you to set it so that the power meter controls the Kickr.

I have a workout planned for this evening so hopefully this all works
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
Correct. I just downloaded the BETA 5.71.25 and it allows you to set it so that the power meter controls the Kickr.

Is that the beta of the Wahooligan app? I so want to try this with TR.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No sorry, this is the beta that I downloaded from PerfPro website.

I do not have the wahooligan app
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad better start looking to put that mod into their software
As it looks like wahoo is not getting this issue fixed anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a link? As I understand it, once you've told the KICKR to use a diff. ANT ID, it sticks. So I wonder if I could use PerfPro to set the ID and then startup trainer road.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I could be wrong but I suspect PerfPro is doing the power feedback control itself,
ie the PerfPro software is taking the power reading from your Ant power meter and jacking up the resistance on the kickr as necessary or lowering.

bostonalex wrote:
Got a link? As I understand it, once you've told the KICKR to use a diff. ANT ID, it sticks. So I wonder if I could use PerfPro to set the ID and then startup trainer road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got finished with tonight's workout and very happy with the results. Link to the PerfPro update is https://perfprostudio.com/Download.aspx

My Powermeter is a SRM that just got back from being calibrated last Friday. I used both my PC7(recording rate of .50sec) and Garmin 910. The watts on the PC7 jump around a bit since it's instant watts, and the 910 tracking 30sec-watts. The Garmin stayed right between 268-271 the entire time for all intervals. Thumbs up!

I did a ramp-up warm up which went from 140w-250w and the watts tracked identical to what the goal watts were

Then came time for the actual workout which was 4x10 @270w with 3' rest in-between.

PC7 Numbers (excuse the dip on interval #2 as my neighbor knocked on my door to drop my dog off and scared the crap out of me)

Garmin Numbers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice yatyas. Can you explain a little the setup in PerfPro. Do you just pair your SRM and Perf Pro takes over?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per the directions from the PerfPro download, you basically tell the Kickr to be controlled by the power meter. Set it and forget it.

I'll also did a spin down and powermeter calibration after the ramp-up warm-up. Not sure if it made any difference since the Kickr is being controlled by the SRM
Quote Reply

Prev Next