Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
Thanks for the screen capture. I'll test it out when I get home. Last I tested it, I believe that I had that lightning bold with circle highlighted, but the power between Kickr and Quarq was not synced up even after a few minutes of riding. I'll double check tonight though to make sure. Appreciate your help in getting me there. Was hoping not to have to buy PP, but it might be worth it even just to maintain my sanity and for the easy workout creator.

How long did you wait? In my previous post (#715 of this thread) you'll see the Kickr firmware took nearly 10 minutes to home in on the appropriate adjustment. That's warm up time for me, so not especially critical, but it was nonetheless surprising how long it took.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. I definitely did not give it 10 minutes, maybe 5 at most. I'll try that tonight. I suppose if I see the green lightning bolt and circle that'll give me solace that it might sync up at some point in the workout.

Do you have to give it 10 minutes every workout, or just the first time that things sync up?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
Thanks for the screen capture. I'll test it out when I get home. Last I tested it, I believe that I had that lightning bold with circle highlighted, but the power between Kickr and Quarq was not synced up even after a few minutes of riding. I'll double check tonight though to make sure. Appreciate your help in getting me there. Was hoping not to have to buy PP, but it might be worth it even just to maintain my sanity and for the easy workout creator.

I would agree-
I have the Green lightning Bolt Icon, but the Dot within the running app is Red and the Kickr is not being controlled. I've ridden 1+ hours like this with no change.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe only the original non-public Wahooligan app beta was working and the built in features in the Wahoo Fitness app are not. The reason I am thinking this now is someone asked the question on Wahoo's FB page recently and they responded that a firmware update to go with the Wahoo Fitness app has not been released yet.

It may be that mine is working under the non-public version with 0.26.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
yes it is unfortunate that there has not been a bad review, then again there are no bad food blog reviews for very obvious reason.

I think he gave a pretty bad review of the stages PM when it first came out. I don't own a Kickr and don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems like a tremendous pain in the ass to get reliable numbers out of the thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Repeat after me... WAHOO support SUCKS!!! I will not ever open the Wahoo Fitness or utility app again.

Do yourself a BIG favor... download Perf Pro... it works. No 10 minute "warm up time" bullshit.

It's a bit overwhelming at first... but it tracks perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Repeat after me... WAHOO support SUCKS!!! I will not ever open the Wahoo Fitness or utility app again.

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Quote:

LOL

Glad I could make you laugh...

Just got home from work and trying to motivate to ride... yawning before my ride isn't a good sign :)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably right. I've already wasted so much time trying to get the Kickr to track properly (with software not hardware) that I've wasted at least 99 bucks of my time. Should've just bought PP. I am just annoyed that after buying something for 1k that I have to spend another 100 to get it to work properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Unless the QC of these devices has really gone down the crapper, I really don't get his raving reviews for this device. It seems like he was so intent on getting rid of wires, that he was willing to overlook a lot of deficiencies. Not to knock his reviews as he usually has a lot of good information in them, but his review of the Garmin 1000 kept me away from it for quite some time. I just happened to pick on up anyway and really like it a lot. Sometimes it's the little things (like much faster response time for the interface) that can make a bigger difference than lack of significant upgrades over previous models.

They've done a lot of work on the Edge 1000 since it came out. It's generally a good unit these days (or even last fall), but it certainly wasn't initially. It was horrible, and they deserved to be called out for it. I can't be speculative in either direction - whether things get worse with a product (as some believe here with the KICKR), or things get better (as with the Edge 1000).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Last edited by: dcrainmaker: Mar 26, 15 1:14
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
Bigpikle wrote:
Sounds like Nate and TR will soon get this fixed and Tr will offer the same functionality as PerfPro/Beta app.

BP, that is my hope as well. I trust Nate and his crew will get something incorporated as soon as they get focused and it will be competitive to PerfPro rather than trying to match Wahoo. I will hang on and use TrainerRoad since I am fortunate to have my Quarq controlling the efforts until they get their own solution.

What I find interesting is that PerfPro got this to work regardless of needing to use a Kickr firmware update. Is that correct? There is no mention of it on the website and unless I have missed it those using the PerfPro beta have not mentioned needing to update the firmware. I find that to be really interesting and it implies that PerfPro may have figured out something totally different because Wahoo's solution was both an app and firmware update.

Just found out that PerfPro did it via software and is not using the Wahoo beta. We've just submitted a bug fix release to the app store. Our next iOS release (pending any critical bugs) will have this feature in it. Desktop will take a bit longer, but I think we can add it in there too.

The entire office uses Kickrs and PMs and this is a feature we've all wanted for a while. We thought we'd just wait for Wahoo to do it but it looks like doing it in software works well too.

Thanks for starting this thread and being so active guys. Talking about stuff like this really brings it to the company's attention and pushes us to be better :).

I notice Trainer road iOS app was updated to 3.0 the other day. Does anyone know if the release had the feature incorporated as suggested above?
Like many on here i bought a Kickr based on solid reviews and a promise of accurate power. I've wasted so much time gaffing about and whats the point of training if you don't trust the numbers..
I don't want to spend another 100 quid on Perf pro, its bad enough that i need another power meter to possibly get accurate numbers, just lucky i've got one already
And as for Wahoo's support - terrible experience. Such a shame for what is aside from these issues a superb product
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
Unless the QC of these devices has really gone down the crapper, I really don't get his raving reviews for this device. It seems like he was so intent on getting rid of wires, that he was willing to overlook a lot of deficiencies. Not to knock his reviews as he usually has a lot of good information in them, but his review of the Garmin 1000 kept me away from it for quite some time. I just happened to pick on up anyway and really like it a lot. Sometimes it's the little things (like much faster response time for the interface) that can make a bigger difference than lack of significant upgrades over previous models.

They've done a lot of work on the Edge 1000 since it came out. It's generally a good unit these days (or even last fall), but it certainly wasn't initially. It was horrible, and they deserved to be called out for it. I can't be speculative in either direction - whether things get worse with a product (as some believe here with the KICKR), or things get better (as with the Edge 1000).

You believe the KickR has met the positive review you gave it and met the specs you sold your positive review with?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [MrZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

This is a massive thread so apologies for not reading all the way through...

Is it possible to reliably use my power2max to control my Kickr resistance, and have this hooked up to TrainerRoad?

At the moment I'm using power2max power outisde, and Kickr inside and would like to be consistent. The general tone of this thread seems to be that it is possible, but it is buggy/temperamental?

Cheers,
Rob

Rob
https://timetrialweapons.com/

Custom bike storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
You are probably right. I've already wasted so much time trying to get the Kickr to track properly (with software not hardware) that I've wasted at least 99 bucks of my time. Should've just bought PP. I am just annoyed that after buying something for 1k that I have to spend another 100 to get it to work properly.

I am thinking about clearing out all the information on using Kickr power meter control on my blog post and just putting Get PerfPro if you want power meter control. I don't think the information I have on my blog is accurate now regarding trying to setup firmware and application because it doesn't seem to be working for many people. Crazy thing is the initial Wahooligan app and firmware was working for me back in late January and they still do not have something viable released to the public.

It takes a bit to go through all the custom settings in PerfPro to get it setup like you want. It has a lot of variables to look at and toggle or at least in my case I finally got everything setup like I wanted. The only thing I would like to have and I am not sure if the option exists is having automated timer start and stop based on activity. In TR my setup it is controlled by a cadence sensor and will start or pause based on activity. If I need to jump off to run to the bathroom I can without touching the laptop. If someone knows if this is an option in PP let me know. It also took me a while to figure out how to handle the data post training, but now have found the places to upload to Strava and then do a saveas to a PWX or TCX file so that I can import into WKO.

I was reluctant to spend another 100 dollars, but in the end it gets tiring trying to get all of this to work out and the PP works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [iamrobertmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamrobertmoore wrote:
Hi all,

This is a massive thread so apologies for not reading all the way through...

Is it possible to reliably use my power2max to control my Kickr resistance, and have this hooked up to TrainerRoad?

At the moment I'm using power2max power outisde, and Kickr inside and would like to be consistent. The general tone of this thread seems to be that it is possible, but it is buggy/temperamental?

Cheers,
Rob

I don't think so at this moment. Nate mentioned getting his people started on adding the option since PerfPro added the feature, but as far as I know it is not available yet. No one is sure what Wahoo is doing. At the moment it seems like PerfPro is really the only easy option available. Let's hope TR gets this feature added soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying - I hope so too!

Rob
https://timetrialweapons.com/

Custom bike storage.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Horchata wrote:

I am thinking about clearing out all the information on using Kickr power meter control on my blog post and just putting Get PerfPro if you want power meter control. I don't think the information I have on my blog is accurate now regarding trying to setup firmware and application because it doesn't seem to be working for many people. Crazy thing is the initial Wahooligan app and firmware was working for me back in late January and they still do not have something viable released to the public.

It takes a bit to go through all the custom settings in PerfPro to get it setup like you want. It has a lot of variables to look at and toggle or at least in my case I finally got everything setup like I wanted. The only thing I would like to have and I am not sure if the option exists is having automated timer start and stop based on activity. In TR my setup it is controlled by a cadence sensor and will start or pause based on activity. If I need to jump off to run to the bathroom I can without touching the laptop. If someone knows if this is an option in PP let me know. It also took me a while to figure out how to handle the data post training, but now have found the places to upload to Strava and then do a saveas to a PWX or TCX file so that I can import into WKO.

I was reluctant to spend another 100 dollars, but in the end it gets tiring trying to get all of this to work out and the PP works well.

Felt...you are a wise man my friend!! I couldn't have said it better.

As for auto start and stop... I was wondering the same thing for PP. For now... I just set the timer to start 30 secs after I hit start. So... I have 30 secs to get on, get situated and go. The pause thing... I don't usually need to get off the bike as my rides are typically 1 hour. I don't think it is a feature though...
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 26, 15 4:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

As for auto start and stop... I was wondering the same thing for PP. For now... I just set the timer to start 30 secs after I hit start. So... I have 30 secs to get on, get situated and go. The pause thing... I don't usually need to get off the bike as my rides are typically 1 hour. I don't think it is a feature though...

:-) I wouldn't need it either, but I can't seem to make it through my hour without having to take my ole man bladder to the bathroom at least once and once if I'm lucky. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
You believe the KickR has met the positive review you gave it and met the specs you sold your positive review with?

Yes, I do. It showed how it worked with plenty of accuracy samples in my review. And I have showed numerous other data points since then in various reviews, mostly related to power meters. I can only really focus on my data samples, as is always the case.

(I'm also keenly aware however, h2Ofun, that you're entire purpose in this thread has been to stir the pot, despite not owning or using a KICKR.)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes there is an auto stop - it is in the setup (I know, there is a lot there) Mine is setup up for auto stop when cadence stops. So when I stop pedaling, the kickr spins down, and about 3 seconds after the kickr stops spinning, PP auto stops. It will then auto start when you start pedaling again. It works great
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yes, I do. It showed how it worked with plenty of accuracy samples in my review. And I have showed numerous other data points since then in various reviews, mostly related to power meters. I can only really focus on my data samples, as is always the case.

(I'm also keenly aware however, h2Ofun, that you're entire purpose in this thread has been to stir the pot, despite not owning or using a KICKR.)

There are others that have had good consistent results out of their (early model) Kickr's too. I suspect either QC has gone down the tubes or they started to use some sub standard parts, though I do think using a (rubber) belt drive instead of putting the spindle in line with the cassette was a poor cost cutting decision. Perhaps you should amend your review with a caveat that the currently available models seem to have some sort of QC issue and that the way the manufacturer is currently addressing it is by recommending control via an external power meter. The fundamental issue is the device is no longer $1000 if you don't already have another PM.

In theory, all someone needs to do is design a cheap(er) trainer that allows the PC/mobile device to control it's resistance and just requires that you have an external PM that your software uses to regulate the resistance up or down. Why bother to spend the extra $ on the trainer itself that doesn't have an accurate PM. At that point there is never a need to calibrate (the trainer) and production costs go way down.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

In theory, all someone needs to do is design a cheap(er) trainer that allows the PC/mobile device to control it's resistance and just requires that you have an external PM that your software uses to regulate the resistance up or down. Why bother to spend the extra $ on the trainer itself that doesn't have an accurate PM. At that point there is never a need to calibrate (the trainer) and production costs go way down.

I would love an option like this. Don't know how much of a market there is, lots of people now have powermeters so they're a potential market but it seems the manufacturers feel the need to make it a fully-self contained unit that doesn't need another piece of equipment to function, plus easier to justify a high price that way.

Kickstarter, anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

And rightly so. But there *are* plenty (on here at least, and others in other forums) who both believe, and can demonstrate, repeatedly, a substantial difference between their kickrs and their other power meters. And when a reasonable population of power meters from diverse manufacturers corroborates the same problem, it's likely that the problem is real.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [iamrobertmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:

NO - ONLY WITH PerfPro
Last edited by: ccassidy: Mar 26, 15 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

NO - ONLY WITH PerfPro
Why not? It's an ANT+ power meter. With the Kickr firmware update, this should be OK with TR. I've used my Vectors with the new Kickr firmware and TR. It's not as good as PerfPro, but it's usable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next