Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [krol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one minor clarification - you DO make 2 non-Right turns - one as you exit the Preserve entrance, you bear left and go UP the Mohonk climb.

(You'd think this would be idiot-proof, but they're always coming up with a better idiot. :-p
At least one racer has taken the "all R turns" thing too literally and gone DOWN the hill coming out of the gate.)

And upon completion of your lap (for CWD or F1) or 3rd lap for LC, you make a L to enter back in to the Preserve (this is the same road you drove in on to park that am) and then up that nasty steep dirt climb to return to transition.

So tl/dr - other than the exit/entrance to the Preserve, the bike course is ALL RIGHT TURNS.

One basic tip for the run - when you get to the run Aid Station intersection, make a LEFT.
You'll hit this 2x each lap coming from different directions. Hard LEFT there.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
One basic tip for the run - when you get to the run Aid Station intersection, CHOOSE THE OREOS.
You'll hit this 2x each lap coming from different directions. CHOOSE THE OREOS EVERY TIME.

There. I fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The navigationally challenged newbies thank you all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez!
Well, at least I get the "mostly uphill" part right.
I'm not sure how anyone's ever gotten off course here. Then again, I'm also not sure how I figured out the run course on a blind, cold, wet run the day before the race in '95, with little more than a meager map that someone color coded the different trail/fire road sections in different colors:

The good thing is that all the volunteers are friendly. Those that finished ahead of you, maybe not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race goes back to 1995? I was figuring 2005.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'95.....2005.
Guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krol wrote:
Geez!
Well, at least I get the "mostly uphill" part right.
I'm not sure how anyone's ever gotten off course here. Then again, I'm also not sure how I figured out the run course on a blind, cold, wet run the day before the race in '95, with little more than a meager map that someone color coded the different trail/fire road sections in different colors:

The good thing is that all the volunteers are friendly. Those that finished ahead of you, maybe not so much.

You showed up a DECADE before the first race? Talk about dedication!! ;-)

The color-coding kinda/sorta makes it a bit clearer:
Start at START (in red) heading out past the parking lot, across the field/swamp, then down the hill parallel to the road coming in.
It goes L into the woods/singletrack (just below the 4 on the map) and up a hill. Yay.
At the top of that hill, there are stone steps, and then a carriage road.
GO LEFT HERE.

(this is one of the areas that the Mohonk Mountain trolls like to F with the run course signage)

Down the carriage road a ways, then make a hard R into some more singletrack/climbing action.
At the top of this climb is the run Aid Station (where 1,2,3 all intersect).
GO LEFT.

Now you're on the blue segment (2). Continue down the carriage road a ways, and then make a RIGHT onto the singletrack trail.
You go down a hill, then across the wooden plank bridge, and then up.
In a short ways, you'll come upon a large table rock with many cairns stacked on and around it.
GO RIGHT HERE.
Some more singletrack brings you to the nastiest climb on the run course. You'll run it the first time.
Enjoy that feeling, because it won't likely happen again later.
After you top out, there's a slight descent, then bang a R, up a short trail with water-bars across it, then bear L onto the carriage road.
Follow the carriage road around and to the run Aid Station.
GO LEFT.

Now you're on the green segment (3) - the home stretch!! Down, down, down the carriage road, thru several turns and twists, and then just as you get to where you can see the parking lot and hear the commotion (and later, smell the food) at the Pavillion, you bang a right over a short plank bridge and into the last singletrack trail section.
It goes up, down, up, across, up, and then hard LEFT and down, down to the carriage road, where you make a LEFT at the bottom, and head across the the road that goes thru the grass field, which is a wonderful false-flat, that eventually brings you back to the TA and the Pavilion.

Got all that? : )

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
//You go down a hill, then across the wooden plank bridge, and then up.

IIRC (an it's a good chance I don't), the "pa-dump" sound from the wooden planks which resonates through the woods is a warning that you are about to be slowed in your tracks by one steep mutha of a climb.

The only place I've ever stopped during a race. I won't admit to crying though ;)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES ... not cheap but easy ... http://www.vivax-assist.com/...vivax-assist_4-0.php

steelerguy wrote:
Charged the battery and pumped up the tires on my TT bike which had been sitting dormant since SOS for my longest (30 miles) and 6th ride of the year. Anyone have a gain 50 watts in 5 days training plan?

I am going to be perfectly content drinking beer from a Solo this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the toe? Have you tried to run yet?

It's going to be an interesting bike leg if you have to walk the first run.

For me today was an easy 3 hour ride along the LIE Service Rd. Boy are my legs tired now that I'm backing it down.

Heading for Ulster Country tomorrow. Rest and swim in the new pool in Arkeville.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a short T-run after an hour-ish mod-hard bike ride last night! First run in 8 days.

(Nabbed some local descending KOM's as prep for Mohonk. Zoom zoom! )

Toe was mostly ok-ish.
For the first mile or so it was kinda like Bart Simpson "Ow! Quit it. Ow! Quit it." with every R footfall, but then I just tuned it out and it didn't bug me too much the last 2m.

Of course, then my "good" calf had to start barking out of the blue - because reasons.

Will try a trail run tonite. Fingers crossed.
(Not toes - that's how I got into this mess to begin with.)

IF I can survive run 1 on Sun, the bike should be decent, and then it's just dealing with the world of hurt on run 2, at whatever pace I can eke out.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumpity-bump!

Weather has been beautiful since Sunday afternoon, and the current forecast calls for another 2 more of the same (today and Thurs), but then Fri and Sat is calling for rain.
Just in case you thought the grassy swampy areas might dry out....

Sun currently is caling for some sun, breezy, and cooler (low 40, high 57).

Whatevs. As we know, that'll probably change 3 more times between now and then.
And you can't even trust the forecast from the night before the race sometimes.

Hope yer tapers are going well, and you're getting mentally prepared for what awaits us on Sunday.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm somewhere between "bring it, I'm ready" and "I wonder if I can finish this without vomiting all over myself". Hmm, maybe I should plan my clothing for what looks good with regurgitated Honey Stinger and Endurox products...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

That's some racing weather right there!

Especially since there's no pesky swim in Lake Welch involved ;)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

WORD.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it possible to ever really be ready ? Butterflies already and it's only Wednesday, I sure do love it !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
stillrollin wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

WORD.

Just had lunch on my deck here in Ulster Co. It's one of the most beautiful days ever.

Last prep run his morning. Legs like total crap. They have three days to heal, the race is close!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
is it possible to ever really be ready ? Butterflies already and it's only Wednesday, I sure do love it !

I have butterflies and I'm not even coming to the race!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sevenride wrote:
what are "Mohonk Mountainmen"?

A creature of sorts, which vaguely resemble man, that freely roams about the Mohank preserve dressed in a kilt with bag pipes slung to its back and a growler of Keegan's Ale in its arm. I've spotted this wretched creature only once on my third and final run loop in 2012. It was there, in the middle of the final meadow as I emerged from the woods half broken, smirking at me, then it was gone. Haven't had a good night's sleep since.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

AZ 2011 Murphy's Law, Chris Gleason, TriYoda, Baliman, KAlber
Last edited by: CeeCee: May 11, 16 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Chris. May he rest in peace.

My tribute to him, his RR of that race. Perhaps the best AmZof recap ever written (and not just because I'm mentioned!):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng%2Fboring#p3340503
Last edited by: stillrollin: May 11, 16 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CeeCee wrote:

AZ 2011 Murphy's Law, Chris Gleason, TriYoda, ???, KAlber

??? = baliman.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Yes, Chris. May he rest in peace.

My tribute to him, his RR of that race. Perhaps the best AmZof recap ever written (and not just because I'm mentioned!):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng%2Fboring#p3340503

Thx for the awesome trip down memory lane!!
Good times.

R.I.P. Chris - miss you so much man.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote Murphy'sLaw]??? = baliman.[/quote]
thx. fixed it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next