Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [elvisruns2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was getting worried that the race had folded purely based on the lack of ST chatter / smack talk. Thanks for getting the thread started. This needs to be page-1 from now until the race. Is it even sold out as of now?
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like just charity slots only are available. Always good for the iron-folk here on Slowtwitch wanting a real race to pony up for a charity slot that's really meaningful. Hell, I'm a Mohonk member and I live 700 miles away!

Based on my 4.5 hours on the bike yesterday, I'd kill to toe the LC start line again. But there's good beer to be had and Murphy's Law that's gonna need harassment.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [krol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rolled 5:11 on Sat; wish it gave me confidence for LC. My transition run was sad! Oh well, I'm in it for the adventure anyway. :-)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
I'm in. short course. I don't know who in their right mind signs up for LC.

gotta do LC at least once in your life time!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a nice ride in up there on Saturday. Overcast and 50 degrees, lets hope for the same in 3 weeks! Roads are in good shape thanks to the mild winter.

I think the hills shrunk. Or perhaps it was the new mid-compact ;)
Still managed 50+ going down Mohonk so having one less tooth on the big ring didn't seem to hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relieved to hear the race is sold out - some events shouldn't need promotion / and the RD sure as heck isn't doing anything in this department. Hope he puts in some practice time on the bagpipes, at least.

You have priorities in order... 1) Beer; 2) Harass ML (who may actually be getting into decent condition based on recent Strava workout post stalking - I think he's doing AmZof on a MTB this year?)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ML has gone totally dark. I think he is on some Rocky-esque chichen chasing training program and he's too worn out to post. I hope coach Mick starts to taper him down soon, so the legs can recover for the race.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh ML, he'll find his way.

Where's Kathy (CeeCee)? She's the keeper of the awesome, inspiring pictures (the start line is my personal fave) and she puts ML in his place!
Last edited by: stillrollin: Apr 25, 16 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another loss for the race; Mary D, a great local senior runner and triathete who has maned (womaned) the water stop since the start of the race won't be there. She will be busy running the stairs at World Trade Center Tower 1.

Good luck to her!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back on Long Island after a week of great hill work in northern Ulster, Green and Delaware Counties. Three running laps of the Brickyard at Bethpage this morning. My goal this year will be to run, not walk, all the climbs for CWD. I'm starting to feel ready for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I should actually try running one of these mornings to prep. I've been employing a variation of ML's Total Aversion regimen, except to what amounts to about half of the race instead of a paltry swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Another loss for the race; Mary D[/b], a great local senior runner and triathete who has maned (womaned) the water stop since the start of the race won't be there[/b]. She will be busy running the stairs at World Trade Center Tower 1.

Good luck to her![/quote]

That's a shame. She'll be missed.

Even though one should know what direction to go at that intersection, in my fatigue induced hallucinating state, I always had to ask her.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Apr 26, 16 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mary ran Big Sur Marathon this weekend; 4:49 on one of the toughest courses in the country at 66 or 67 years old. Many time 1st place age group Ironman and Kona finsher, when I asked her ''how come you don't race AZ'' her answer was;

''How come you do'''!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the rules about past f1 and CWD bringing past mugs to drink out of while they yell at the athletes they coach but they themselves never get their heart rate above 80?

http://www.johnhirsch.org
http://www.stronglikebulltraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [John Hirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Hirsch wrote:
Whats the rules about past f1 and CWD bringing past mugs to drink out of while they yell at the athletes they coach but they themselves never get their heart rate above 80?

"Rules? There ain't no rules in a knife fight."

If you're bringing your own mug, it better be a "big honkin stein" and if you are filling one of those you better bring some beer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH MY GOD!! IS THAT??...

THAT'S MURPHY'SLAW's MUSIC!!!

Beer is (technically) only for race participants.

And Big Honkin' Steins must have been earned, that day.

IF you wish to drink beers out of a Big Honkin' Stein, you must man (or woman) up, register, and tote your bib around the course quickly enough to win said stein.

Otherwise, it's BYOB or solo cups for you.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that's what it took to wake you up; someone drinking your beer! Slowtwitch grapevine says you have been training hard. Are you coming in ''ready to rumble''?

Long Island hillwork on the bike today for me. Hit all the steeps around Cold Spring Harbor and Oyster Bay. Most are steeper than AZ but much shorter. Only Fish Hatchery is long but not as steep.

It's never too late to add more hills!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
OH MY GOD!! IS THAT??...

THAT'S MURPHY'SLAW's MUSIC!!!

Beer is (technically) only for race participants.

And Big Honkin' Steins must have been earned, that day.

IF you wish to drink beers out of a Big Honkin' Stein, you must man (or woman) up, register, and tote your bib around the course quickly enough to win said stein.

Otherwise, it's BYOB or solo cups for you.

Like God giving Charlton Heston the spiel and setting it in stone tablets.
Counting on my winter atomic wing consumption to propel me downhill a little faster on a much more limited raceday schedule this time around. Two-and-a-half weeks beeotches!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - Welcome back! And to the 50-54 AG!

CWD again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney, this is not 'Nam, this is beer drinking.
There are rules.

Krol! Yes, Gravity is our friend in one direction, anyway.

Mark - yup, CWD.

As for my training, let me explain.
No, there is too much - let me sum up:

IF AmZof involved a MTB, I'd be golden.
Since it involves running (I missed all of Mar w a sprained MCL due to pilot stupidity) and skinny-tire cycling (see: MTBing all winter) I've got my work cut out for me.

Hoping to get my ducks lined up to maybe do a recon mission there tomorrow afternoon.
I'll know better where I stand if/when I pull that off.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hoping to get my ducks lined up to maybe do a recon mission there tomorrow afternoon.
I'll know better where I stand if/when I pull that off.

Do it! Need you on the podium, so I have shot an AG mug!

Wuz there last week: 50+ on the road bike, no aero goodies - wheeee! I won't mention the uphill speed ;)

and of course the Otter for an IPA (or three) afterwards!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'll get to take a lap around the bike course on Friday. Are there any bad spots in the road to watch out for. Last year, if I remember correctly, there was only one bad stretch, after the Granite Hotel, where you had to go to the center of the road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you mean where I think, they repaved that right before the race last year. My advice, which you probably don't need, is to trust what looks like beautiful pavement. I ride at the edge of the auto lane for that and in the shoulder otherwise for route 44. The shoulder of 44 is still pretty corregated in spots, feels more like bull riding to me than cycling, but looks less broken than the pavement 0-2ft to the left of the white stripe, so I ride it anyway. Some sections from the sharp turn onto Granite to the turn onto Mohonk have some damage very close to the edge of the road, but nothing I found I had to jump into the middle of the lane to avoid.

Have fun.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing that left an impression.

IIRC, there is some road work being done before the last right turn but nothing to fret over.
Have fun, I hope the weather cooperates for you.

I'm Harriman bound on Saturday. Thankful for that as my local training ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pushing back to Saturday. The weather looks a little better. Two laps. Then I'm going to refuel at Mexicali Blue. It's the first place I ever had a taco, over 40 years ago when it was called The Last Stand.

Quote Reply

Prev Next