Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win- and you got a sub 40 minute last run, great work! Didn't you do it in 2014 also? Thought we were together for most of the race that year. Hoping to get back some year, I still think it's the best race I've done.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got stopped twice at the power line. I guess it served as good recovery time.

A big thank you to the race director, volunteers and everyone involved with putting on is race.

I just got home after a 9 hour drive back to Ohio. Went for a quick 30 minute bike ride, had no strength but soreness isn't too bad.

This was my second time at this race and 2nd long course. This year was a bit of redemption for me. Last year I was crushed by the 2nd bike loop, I did finish but was glad they kept the lights on for me in the gazebo because it took me a long time. This year was a different story, I had a much better day. My goal going in was to go 9:30, I ended up at 9:42 and am quite happy with it. I tried to negative split the final run, didn't quite make it but all my splits were within 2 minutes.

I think I was the oldest long course finisher so I get a 1st place mug. I need to figure out how to get my bike to go faster ! I had a great time and can't wait to sign up for next year. I think my daughter may be joining me next year and doing cwd...how fun will that be !

Next up for me is powerman zofingen in September.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention Powerman. I was just looking into that today.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I've just been having fun reliving some of the old AmZof SMACKTALK / SMACKDOWN threads from years past.

Great way to kill time while polishing off another RecoverWrong(tm).

'08:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20zofingen#p2004699

'09:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20zofingen#p2521941

and '10:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ingen_2010_P2785361/

and what the hell, '11:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20zofingen#p3315564

Slainte!

Cool, I read some while I was taking a cr@p yesterday. I'll read some more when I cr@p later. Seems like a good time since, back then, you were really full of Sh!t!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett I assume !

how you doing, i am going senile, in my head that was 2012 but I did not do it in 2012

another brutal year for me, my quads are trashed from hammering the downhills on the run and i am struggling to walk

even my arms hurt this year from battling the wind

i am sure i will be back next year - now to get ready for Placid

cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the trashed quads. I have done a shit ton of heavy backpacking over the past year, which results in hips that are as solid as concrete. So I took advantage of that and hammered the downhills, could have done that all day long, but now....holy O shite. Everything from quads to lower back is very very angry. Ran the fastest 3 loops ever in the past 5 LC's.
I wouldn't give up a minute of that though.
This is the best...race...ever.
#6 LC in the books.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [rodwilsonsr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job out there on Sunday from everyone. Especially the volunteers. The HS girl helping at the aid station later in the day was not a happy camper. After the sun disappeared mid morning there wasn't any chance at staying warm if you weren't moving (which was sorta like me on the second run).
Happy to have a CWD finish under my belt. I have no idea how I prepped and finished all my previous LC races. It was nice being able to make a left turn rather than heading back up Mohonk a second (or third) time. Sheer lack of training time was evident. Helped save some guy on the first run from a face plant on the second uphill section. Felt good despite not having run for the better part of the last 5-6 weeks trying to get past a calf muscle tear. Felt like I was OK for the bike but knee started barking at me about 2/3 of the way thru and started getting some quad cramps the last 5 miles. Fun, fun, fun having this race be my first transition run since last August! Knee pretty banged up and I had to shuffle with a really short stride to keep moving on the flats. Spent some time hiking and props to Main Street Doug for getting me to run with him for almost a mile before the knee and uphill near Table Rocks. He probably saved me a good 4-5 minutes. Knee was sore enough that I had to stop and walk even the downhills on the way back in.
I think the downhills pretty much obliterate my knee any more and the 8 hour drive home yesterday was spent biting my tongue and fidgeting around due to some hefty swelling and some serious LCL soreness. Glad my house is a ranch!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [krol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krol wrote:
Helped save some guy on the first run from a face plant on the second uphill section.

That was me. Fortunately, my face stopped about an inch from a huge rock. Could've been a lot worse. Nonetheless, I really appreciate you (and the others) stopping to make sure I was ok. AmZof spirit at its finest. THANK YOU!

Good job gutting it out. I did it once undertrained. Once ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Krol - THANKS AGAIN for the hand-up!!
Had the Founders last nite (yummers), working on a Fat Head's Head Hunter right now.
You are the MAN.

Always great to see ya back at AmZof, us OG's need to stick together.

Props for fighting thru on minimal training.
It's always hard;
you just go faster, or a lot slower, depending on fitness and injuries (or lack thereof, if yer lucky).

See ya next year!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML-
My pleasure! Next year will have to reserve you some Hop Juju. For some reason Fatheads puts it out as a seasonal in Feb/Mar so I pretty much drank up what I was able to get my hands on in April.
Next year I'll shoot for a better base of bike miles. The run will be what it be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to hit you back w/ some local goodness from around here. We've got quite a few awesome microbrew places all over NY now, so I'm sure I can throw together something pretty sweet for ya.

SO... anybody else out there gonna post up an AmZof RR for us?
Kinda quiet on that front this time around.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm game-this was my third LC in 4 years, missed last year with my knees in revolt. Compared to the cold and wet of 13 and the "misdirection" in 14 I had a great day. Biggest difference was the bike, this was the first time I rode my time trial and the difference was everything. I rode a 5:04 compared with a previous best of 5:46 on my road bike. This was also the first time I used an aero helmet and I also swapped my Hed 6 rear for a Hed 9. The wind made things a bit sketchy at times, especially the top of the Minnewaska descent. I saw one fellow have his bike blown out from under him but he was ok. The aero goodies worked well! I rode with Picky Bars and EFS and managed to get about 1400 calories in on the bike, I don't think I could have managed that in warmer weather, aside from the wind the weather suited me well. My jersey was salt streaked when I took it off in T2. My run was a few minutes better than last time, I attribute that to walking the 3rd climb entirely on the loops after the bike and the double helpings of Red Bull on each loop. I swear I was running squares by the time it was over. I ran the loops in my Brooks which in hindsight was probably a mistake, my Hokas would have been a better choice as the trails were in good shape and my quads didn't like the pounding they took in the Brooks- I wore Cascadias. Overall my best by over 50 minutes and finally broke the 9 hour mark and have been smiling since the finish. The volunteers were great, the company excellent and the venue speaks for itself-see you all next year!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slow, I saw you coming up the final hill before you turned into the dirt road. You looked great, like you were about to have the great run that you did have.

Congratulations, you long course racers are the toughest in all of multisport.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading and hearing about the powerman zofingen, I decided I had to go so last year I ran the usat long course nationals and qualified (not hard to do) to race in itu world championship race as age grouper for team USA. I am certainly going to get my ass handed to me but for sure will have a great time while it happens. We also have family and friends in Germany so making a bit of a vacation out of the trip and going to go see family and friends after the race.

There was one other person (I think his name was Jesse from Michigan) that did long course and is going to Switzerland. If you end up going let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pondering signing up for the open category for 2017, and have another prior LC'er considering it too. I've got my destination race covered this year with Vineman.

But I look forward to hearing how you like it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May 18, how's everyone's legs? I decided to participate in my work site 5 k today, figuring hey, I have a recovery run scheduled anyway.

There I was, JRA, when I passed the only female within sight. GTFO, I thought, I can't possibly be 1st. Turns out I was 2nd, but 1st masters.

What is this bizarro alternate universe I've slipped into where so few women show up for things? Sure, I work hard, but I'm just really not 1st place material.

Anyway, seems I've put the "ouch" back into my down stairs travels, after having earlier felt better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUGE improvement, congrats!!

Yeah, a Tri bike is faster than a road bike (for most) at AmZof - who knew?
/pink.

That said - the CWD winner rode a shiny new Madone aero road bike w/ lower-profile aero wheels.
Given the winds that day, that might just have been the perfect call (for him) on the day.
(And he's a bike monster regardless.)

And you're right - trail conditions were surprisingly quite excellent.
A few splooshy spots, but otherwise really good.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, thanks for sharing and congrats! 50 minutes is a great improvement.
When I get my kids out of college I may just have to get another TT bike!

Seems like you've gained a lot of experience. How you keep coming back for LC is beyoond my comprehension though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I saw one fellow have his bike blown out from under him but he was ok."

Gah! That really happened? (:-0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, he was about 25 meters in front of me, slow fall as he was climbing, I asked if he was ok and he replied he was good and was smiling when I passed. Lucky it wasn't on a descent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that last lap on the bike scared the crap out of me on the descent from Minnesaka. No way could I stay in aero. At one point I realized I was gripping the bars so hard that my hands started to cramp. So glad I wasn't running a disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was doing a fair bit of talking to myself with occasional outbursts of profanity, followed by trying to talk myself down from the death grip I had on the extensions. It was definitely interesting...

Anyone know what the gusts were? I just saw 15-20 mph on the weather report, but don't know if it takes something more than that to rock my aerohelmut like happened a couple of times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel bad for the F1 and LC riders - I'm sure it got worse as the day went on.

I had a disk (cover) and Jet90 front wheel, and definitely got pushed around a bit here and there.
Worst was a cross gust that pushed me across the lane at the big R turn before the straight on the Mohonk descent.
Really had to fight to not get blown all the way across and off the road.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML, what speed did you hit on the front descent? With the tailwind I eaked out 50.1 on the old bike, same as I did in my training ride on the new IA with no wind.

You can set the bar on see where everyone else comes in.

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2016 Official Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing all that impressive - max was only 51.4 per my 310.
(The 520 wasn't tracking properly thru there, so that segment didn't show up initially).
I've gone faster w/o race wheels and aero brain bucket.

My time for the segment was very good tho - 3:02.
That's only :01 off my best, and :02 off the KOM.

I carried a LOT of speed thru the turns, which somewhat made up for the lower terminal speed.

Going down from Awosting was WAY slower than normal.
The Million Dollar View is usually coasting at 35-37+ - on Sun I was pedaling and only hitting 30-32-ish.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next