Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Lance cheated no one. Not his sponsors. Not the public.

Lance cheated SCA Promotions since they paid him for winning but he cheated to win.

He cheated the public because he convinced many that his recovery from cancer and TDF wins was due to hard work and his own abilities.

ROFL. So the top 10 super elite were all involved in doping and SCA was naive enough to think there was a possibility of someone clean being able to beat them? They absolutely knew what was going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
I do think there it is interesting how some athletes that were caught doping are vilified more than others. Some become persona non grata within cycling or sport that major teams will not touch , others are pretty much forgiven such Valverde, and some it almost makes their legend greater e.g. Pantani by showing their human side.

I always found Michael Rasmussen's case interesting. Didn't (technically) test positive...but missed protocol. Served two years...then was a pariah in cycling. Still sorta persona non grata.

He was doping (and admitted it), but was treated much differently than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won 7 tours because he was doping better than everyone else.

Funny how all the Lance apologists have come back in full force after being strangely quiet for a few years but at least the repeated cries of "but he didn't test positive" or "they're just jealous" have disappeared...for now.

Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2019 45-49 age group winner with an 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:

and 13th fastest bike split of the day including pro triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:

Vino smashed the IMH age group 45-49 record by over 7 minutes.

His bike speed was amazing, as he probably was quickly ripping through the amateurs and then catching the women pros. Anyone know if there was anyone else close to his speed, assisting him in a legal train? Or was he solo, which would make his ride even more amazing.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 13, 19 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:

Just absurd, don't understand why he is allowed to race.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought..Does anyone know if Vino has anything to do with the organising committee of the new Ironman Astana that was announced during Kona race week. It will be in addition to the existing 70.3.

https://eu.ironman.com/...t.aspx#axzz62HsxjwOb
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 13, 19 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because, right or wrong, not every offense is a lifetime ban from all sport.

Id actually love to see an interview with him, just like a normal AG. What are you training? What's the rest of life like? What's your bike setup? Gotta imagine the answers are different then when he was a tour pro
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Because, right or wrong, not every offense is a lifetime ban from all sport.

Id actually love to see an interview with him, just like a normal AG. What are you training? What's the rest of life like? What's your bike setup? Gotta imagine the answers are different then when he was a tour pro

I noticed his two twin sons racing at the 2019 world cycling road champs a couple weeks ago. They are 18 or 19 so, so he's got plenty of in house training partners.

I think it would be interesting if ST did an interview of his training schedule and race prep, along with bike setup and position. His aero TT position was not that great during pro tour years, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's a lot better today. There is a massive emphasis on aerodynamics that is now seen with all the top pro tour GC riders / TTers that was not the norm during his pro tour days.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 13, 19 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha!! I forgot about that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Just merely pointing out that your sport doesn't hold itself to a higher standard than those other sports. And if you want me to tie it all together for you, Vande Velde is on TV too. ;)

Sure cycling holds itself to a higher standard than some other sports. Travis Tygart, like his methods or not, is a sincerely anti-doping crusader. He, at some point, made the decision that if he couldn't get Lance, arguably the highest-profile blatant dopers of those under the umbrella of USADA, that USADA might as well pack up and go home. So he spent a lot of resources and got him.

He offered Lance the same deal that Vande Velde got. Lance turned down that deal. That was his decision.

I'll point out here, nowhere in this thread have I stated that Vino et al, should be turned away. I'm just surprised at all the vitriol directed at those who try to make the sport cleaner.

Tygart is not a sincerely anti-doping crusader. His ego is larger than Big Tex's. He wasn't trying to make the sport cleaner, he was making a name for himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He came past me near the end of the bike around the airport I believe. Felt like I was standing still in comparison (4:44:xx). He had two guys with him, both drafting heavily. No idea if they were sharing the work.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
jacked wrote:
I would actually love to see a division in all sports called ‘the all drug league.’ With unlimited use of PED’s. And also the ‘all drug Olympics.’

That's just called the plain old "Olympics". The all drug part is implied and implicit.

Exactly!
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
He won 7 tours because he was doping better than everyone else.

Funny how all the Lance apologists have come back in full force after being strangely quiet for a few years but at least the repeated cries of "but he didn't test positive" or "they're just jealous" have disappeared...for now.

Everything he had from cycling was erased and a life time ban from the sport(s); what else do you want from him?!?! You prolly gonna be celebrating when passes aren ya?!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:

His ego is larger than Big Tex's.

You're trying too hard there. In any case, regardless of ego, justice was done. Lance was doper. He got busted. I have a pretty simple take on it. Doping is bad. Antidopers are mostly good. I'm not a big fan of all the rationalizers.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 13, 19 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
He came past me near the end of the bike around the airport I believe. Felt like I was standing still in comparison (4:44:xx). He had two guys with him, both drafting heavily. No idea if they were sharing the work.

Just for clarification, were the 2 guys behind Vino?
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 13, 19 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:

Just absurd, don't understand why he is allowed to race.
Because he's served his suspension and hasn't tested positive since. Take it up with WADA
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Pffft, there is a huge double standard in the treatment in doping in cycling. For example:

Bjarne Riis is still the official winner of the '96 Tour
Jan Ullrich is still the official winner of the '97 Tour
Marco Pantani is still the official winner of the '98 Tour
Erik Zabel still has all of his wins.
No one has said who actually "won" the Tours Lance "won"
Contador still has most of his results
Valverde was directly involved with Puerto and is the CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION
etc.

Going back a little further, no one seems to ever bring up that the great Merckx was popped not once but twice in the hardly-ever-tested, freewheeling 70s.
Hinault has a stack of skeletons twenty deep in his closet and he's up there every day on the podium.
Indurain is suspicious as hell (https://www.podiumcafe.com/...think-maybe-its-time) but no one has made any effort to even investigate him.
Most major teams are run by ex-dopers or people associated with ex dopers.
etc.

Lance? Stripped of (almost) all results. Landis? Stripped of all results. Say what you like about Lance, but he's right about this: it's a bunch of bullshit.

All of this is indefensible, corrupt and ridiculous. Vino racing Tri is just one more example.

Bjarne never intimidated witnesses
Ullrich never committed perjury
Pantani never bribed the UCI
Zabel never had prior notification of tests
Contador never ran smear campaigns against detractors
Valverde never used business connections to destroy people's livelihoods
Hinault never encouraged the entire peloton to isolate riders for giving evidence against a doctor
Indurain never destroyed his teammates doping products out of spite because they were "riding too well"

Get the point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Mirror Man will be back in a few............
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the time, but it was a pretty quick pass.
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Oct 13, 19 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weak. Doping is the crime that caused Lance to lose his results. All of the others are either convicted of very similar crimes or are extremely suspicious of having committed similar crimes and yet have been allowed to keep their results. This is a very obvious double standard. Get the point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
Crickets....

WOOOOWWWW!!!!! VINOOOOO!!!!!

he can not win pro cyclist anymore, he can not win pro triathletes, but he is sooooo good that he can win in the fathers/mothers division!!! wooow!!!!!

he won a gold medal... but know, instead of being proud of their sports merits... he choose to be a bully in the amateur sport!!!!

It is so funny to se how he (and other former pros) choose to go to Kona playing as pros, with a team and resources better than real pros.. and then, instead of challenge him self competing in pro category... choosing to compete with amateur...

... only sad, because people like Vino steal the dream for many real amateur triathletes to go to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vino passed me on the run on the last hill just before turning down Palani. Didn’t know it was him until one of my support crew told me at the top of Palani that is was Vino that had just passed. I knew he was going to beat me since he started 10 minutes back but I didn’t want him to finish ahead of me. So I used him as motivation the last mile and re-passed him just before the turn on Ali’i.

While chasing him down Palani and Kuakini, I was surprised how many people were cheering for him by name. This wasn’t random people cheering for racers in general. This was purposely cheering for this individual as if they knew him or were fans of his. Anyways.... my point is that it was very telling for me.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get over it people!! The Ironman rules say he is fully allowed to race, so why not just let him race and give him some respect for his impressive achievements in Ironman.

Just because he is an ex pro cyclist is no reason why he shouldn’t then compete as an amateur triathlete and beat some age groupers - are you people trying to say that anybody who has been a pro sportsman should then be banned from competing as an amateur in other sports?? Life is long, most pro-athletes retire in their early ‘30’s, are you saying they should then be banned from any competition in all other sports for the rest of their days???

Big difference between winning a bike race and winning an Ironman,he had to learn to swim and run - not easy to do in your 30’s/40’s - so kudos to him for achieving it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next