Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Yep. Alex Rodriguez is on TV. Hell so is Ray Lewis and he killed a guy. The lifetime ban for Lance is ridiculous.

So we have to pick the lowest sport, ethically speaking, and not hold our sport to any higher of a standard or else we're hypocrites?
Last edited by: trail: Oct 12, 18 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll never understand this way of thinking. This is like killing someone and then stating that you shouldn’t be imprisoned because OJ wasn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When only one guy in our sport gets a lifetime ban, despite evidence of many others in our sport breaking the same rules, yes that's hypocritical.
Last edited by: Sean H: Oct 12, 18 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:

You can't go back and take away titles. They were won. What are you going to do, scrub over 50% of the TdF record book? Seriously, it was the times, no one has to like it, but the races were contested and there was a podium.
It is silly. They never should have opened this Pandora's box. Look at a list of confirmed dopers among the top ten in Tours from about 1995-2010 and it's an absolute bloodbath. The "un-confirmed" dopers from that era were likely just never caught.

Of course, this goes back far, far further than that, back to the earliest amphetamines and strychnine days of pro racing.

Extending your point, what if the IOC went back and started reassessing Olympic results with East Germany, Flo Jo, China and the like? Hoo boy. Maybe it's best to just assume everyone dopes and let sleeping dogs lie.

Quote:
Because Lance and Landis were big meanies and liars only they have to be stripped? They don't dare touch the Euros.
That's definitely part of it as well. Crucify l'Americains while Italian and Spanish Directeurs Sportif laugh into their sleeves. You could argue that the "reasoned decision" forced the UCI's hand, but the fact that Lance was from Texas (and a complete asshole) didn't help matters.
Last edited by: hiro11: Oct 12, 18 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
When only one guy in our sport gets a lifetime ban, despite evidence of many others in our sport breaking the same rules, yes that's hypocritical.

That has nothing to do with any other sport. That's an entirely different argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Maybe it's best to just assume everyone dopes and let sleeping dogs lie.

I've thought about that. Seriously. But decided I didn't like it. Because then you can't contain it. Once you let top pros dope with no consequences, then the the lower-level pros will dope to have any chance at being a top pro. And top amateurs. And juniors.

Generally I think I prefer a world that that makes a sincere, if flawed, attempt to follow something like the WADA code to one that's a free-for-all.

You're right, there is some silliness. But the alternatives are also silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just merely pointing out that your sport doesn't hold itself to a higher standard than those other sports. And if you want me to tie it all together for you, Vande Velde is on TV too. ;)

Edit: to clarify though, I'd rather all these guys get lifetime bans, not just Lance. I'm just saying it's ridiculous that he's the only one that's singled out.
Last edited by: Sean H: Oct 12, 18 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the haters, hopefully they feel the same way about football, soccer, baseball, hockey, golf, etc etc etc.

So if someone is outspoken about drugs in sport, they are now called haters?

How did the anger change from those who cheat to those who want to follow the rules?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
ripple wrote:

You can't go back and take away titles. They were won. What are you going to do, scrub over 50% of the TdF record book? Seriously, it was the times, no one has to like it, but the races were contested and there was a podium.
It is silly. They never should have opened this Pandora's box. Look at a list of confirmed dopers among the top ten in Tours from about 1995-2010 and it's an absolute bloodbath. The "un-confirmed" dopers from that era were likely just never caught.

Of course, this goes back far, far further than that, back to the earliest amphetamines and strychnine days of pro racing.

Extending your point, what if the IOC went back and started reassessing Olympic results with East Germany, Flo Jo, China and the like? Hoo boy. Maybe it's best to just assume everyone dopes and let sleeping dogs lie.

Quote:
Because Lance and Landis were big meanies and liars only they have to be stripped? They don't dare touch the Euros.
That's definitely part of it as well. Crucify l'Americains while Italian and Spanish Directeurs Sportif laugh into their sleeves. You could argue that the "reasoned decision" forced the UCI's hand, but the fact that Lance was from Texas (and a complete asshole) didn't help matters.

You say this but it was an American hypocrite (Travis Tygard) who had this odd obsession with nailing Lance when he had worked hard to reduce bans for Gatlin etc. I doubt the Europeans minded him doing this but they didnt have any influence over what he did.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanting to change the sport for the better is fine. I don't think it makes sense to ruin the lives of a certain few that came up though the sport, through the culture that was present in those years, etc etc. I don't think it is fair to worship Merckx, Hinault, and so many others, and punish others. ******

***** Yes I get that Lance acted like a douche bag towards a lot of people, and for -that- he probably deserves some hate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Just merely pointing out that your sport doesn't hold itself to a higher standard than those other sports. And if you want me to tie it all together for you, Vande Velde is on TV too. ;)

Sure cycling holds itself to a higher standard than some other sports. Travis Tygart, like his methods or not, is a sincerely anti-doping crusader. He, at some point, made the decision that if he couldn't get Lance, arguably the highest-profile blatant dopers of those under the umbrella of USADA, that USADA might as well pack up and go home. So he spent a lot of resources and got him.

He offered Lance the same deal that Vande Velde got. Lance turned down that deal. That was his decision.

I'll point out here, nowhere in this thread have I stated that Vino et al, should be turned away. I'm just surprised at all the vitriol directed at those who try to make the sport cleaner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no vitriol here - see my edit. just think if they're going to let everyone else off so easy, Lance is getting hosed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
no vitriol here - see my edit. just think if they're going to let everyone else off so easy, Lance is getting hosed.

Likewise. Again, great to want a clean sport, but not take everything out on a select few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
You say this but it was an American hypocrite (Travis Tygard) who had this odd obsession with nailing Lance when he had worked hard to reduce bans for Gatlin etc. I doubt the Europeans minded him doing this but they didnt have any influence over what he did.
I totally agree with you, which is why I mentioned the "reasoned decision". Tygard's actions forced the UCI's hand while European doping officials put their hands behind their back, whistled softly and slowly side-stepped out of frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The outrage should squarely be that he is in NOT that Lance should also be in. There’s a big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Lance went away like all the others in 2009 he would have his titles and not be banned. If after 2009 he went away quietly without the attacks he would not be banned and have all his titles. He shot himself in the foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Pffft, there is a huge double standard in the treatment in doping in cycling. For example:

Bjarne Riis is still the official winner of the '96 Tour Not an American
Jan Ullrich is still the official winner of the '97 Tour Not an American
Marco Pantani is still the official winner of the '98 Tour Not an American
Erik Zabel still has all of his wins. Not an American
No one has said who actually "won" the Tours Lance "won"
Contador still has most of his results Not an American
Valverde was directly involved with Puerto and is the CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION Not an American
etc.

Going back a little further, no one seems to ever bring up that the great Merckx Not an American was popped not once but twice in the hardly-ever-tested, freewheeling 70s.
Hinault Not an American has a stack of skeletons twenty deep in his closet and he's up there every day on the podium.
Indurain Not an American is suspicious as hell (https://www.podiumcafe.com/...think-maybe-its-time) but no one has made any effort to even investigate him.
Most major teams are run by ex-dopers or people associated with ex dopers.
etc.

Lance American ? Stripped of (almost) all results. Landis American ? Stripped of all results. Say what you like about Lance, but he's right about this: it's a bunch of bullshit.

All of this is indefensible, corrupt and ridiculous. Vino racing Tri is just one more example.

I gave a little clarity to your post and the possible source of the hypocrisy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sean H wrote:

Sure cycling holds itself to a higher standard than some other sports. Travis Tygart, like his methods or not, is a sincerely anti-doping crusader. He, at some point, made the decision that if he couldn't get Lance, arguably the highest-profile blatant dopers of those under the umbrella of USADA, that USADA might as well pack up and go home. So he spent a lot of resources and got him.

He offered Lance the same deal that Vande Velde got. Lance turned down that deal. That was his decision.

That is a lie by Tygart. Lance was never offered the same deal as Vaughter's boys. They were initially promised no ban at all. It was only at the last moment Tygart had to change the deal to six months timed for the off-season. Tygart never offered any terms like he did with Slipstream's riders. It was surrender (while being sued), come out with your hands up, and hope we treat you fairly. He never even offered to abide by WADA's rules on the statute of limitations. The telling point on that is when Bruyneel took his case to arbitration, USADA did not introduce any evidence outside of the statute of limitations because it would be thrown out. The rules are a farce. Don't fight the charge and we'll ignore the SOL; fight it and we'll abide by it. Tygart has always believed the ends justify the means. If those policing sport don't follow the rules then how can athletes be blamed for also treating the rules with contempt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Alex Rodriguez is on TV. Hell so is Ray Lewis and he killed a guy. The lifetime ban for Lance is ridiculous.

Lance deserves what he got for the way he orchestrated the drug use on his team, bullied other riders and tried to destroy the careers of journalists and anyone else who dared to speak out. I have zero sympathy for his punishment and if it's more harsh than others, then increase their sentence but his is well deserved.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 12, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I simply dont understand, and have never understood the faux outrage about cycling...

When it come to this topic, you've got a better chance changing minds on white privilege in the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance is now allowed back in non cycling events, but his lifetime ban covers national/world championship events in any sport.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I simply dont understand, and have never understood the faux outrage about cycling

I watched every lance tour and every tour since maybe 82-84 onwards

These guys - going back a century - have always been monsters fueled by more than just bread and water

Lance was an absolute bastard towards those that threatened him by all accounts but the sanctimonious actions of the UCI, commentators and others in eliminating him and then white washing the other results is just bullshit

I think I saw a star that there is a two decade run of tdf winners who at one time or another

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...t_the_Tour_de_France

It is horseshit that Lance was singled out during that period

They just happened to be far more disciplined about it

Now, was have people pushing the boundaries to the same extent with with TUE's and jiffy bags and big lawyers

Remaining fit and healthy for the entire season in one of the most demanding sports on earth requires some flexibility on the moral compass and that does not seem to have changed much in the sky era

Why do you call it "faux" outrage? I am actually outraged. I hate doping. I hate cheaters. I hate double standards. This isn't "faux", it is actually how I feel.

I don't care that all sports do it, I don't care that cycling is really hard, I don't care that some people get banned and others don't. I don't care that it is close to impossible to eradicate doping. Doping is wrong, and is a big deal (for context - wrong like cheating on one's taxes, not as bad as, say, killing a guy).

I don't have any workable solutions to solve the doping problem but that does not mean doping is not cheating and isn't wrong enough to care about.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Vino's special needs bag filled with fresh blood and T-patches?
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even championship level Frisbee golf?

realAB wrote:
Lance is now allowed back in non cycling events, but his lifetime ban covers national/world championship events in any sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the outcry over Vinokourov racing Kona [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next