Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But in the address of someone that lives in Hawaii it is stated that it is a part of the USA. My family does not have Ireland, British Isles or United Kingdom. Ireland is Ireland and you are Irish. Plain and simple. I hope this makes more sense.

Three different countries(Ireland, Scotland and the UK for this conversation) that make up the British Isles. But being a part of the British Isles does not make you all British.
Last edited by: Bman: Sep 21, 07 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While this Wiki explanation is great and all, it does not really explain the difference. You have to be from there or have family living there to fully understand.

If you called someone from Ireland or Scotland "British" or (English for that matter) they might just beat you and keep walking.
Last edited by: Bman: Sep 21, 07 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Personally I am glad that Bill saw to revive this thread (even though I think Bill is Dan's nomme de guerre). What with the ill natured pissing contest between House and Paulo and the unbelievable attack on Tom D it's time for people to step back and have a look at how things are going.[/reply]

I think it is time for more banings as people obviously can't be relied upon to keep things civil.

Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Brian for explaining the difference. The Hawaiian analogy is very good, most true Hawaiians are proudly Hawaiian and would not be happy to be called American as is the case you explained with the Irish and Scots in your post, I just can't see why it should be SO difficult for people to respect my request and refer to me at English and not a Brit. I can't talk with authority on things happening in or how people in those other countries of the British Isles feel only that of England.

Do you enjoy being called a North American?

I'm sure this won't lie down as some people just like to pick at scabs. It's hard to believe that I have had this sig line for nearly a year!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Slowman!

---------------------------------------------
//FRISK

Save a bike - ride a triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is using terms like "Japs" or the n-word acceptable forum behavior? Serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [wilbur357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Is using terms like "Japs" or the n-word acceptable forum behavior? Serious question.[/reply]

Would you do it in the "real" world?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Do you enjoy being called a North American?

I really don't care what people call me.

But since I am an Earthling, Northern Hemispherion, North American, United States of American, Michigander, troll, Oakland Countian, Noivite. I would not tell someone not to call me any of these which are all accurate and correct.

Now if you called me a Norwegian, British, English, Danish, I would also not be offended because my ancestors came from those regions, along with others I can not recall at the moment.

Oh and If you want to call me Canadian, thats fine to they have a cool flag, you would be wrong but thats ok with me.

Ya know the more I think about it I would like to be called North American (if we all started that it would be one step closer to uniting with Canada (hey aer money is on even exchange now)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

Ya know the more I think about it I would like to be called North American (if we all started that it would be one step closer to uniting with Canada (hey aer money is on even exchange now)[/reply]

blah....no thanks. :) I love my neighbors to the south, however, like all good neighbors, you don't want them around you all the time. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had nothing to do with the original thread 2 years ago spiraling out of control.

I think.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
lol

this thread was made a year and a half ago.

This is simply hilarious! The posts by people who thought this was a recent thread are priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but...

but...

but...

Whatever happened to "The sun never sets on the British Empire"?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually do not like the label North American. I am a Canadian living on the North American continent. I find that the only time the term "North American" is used is when an American does not do something as well as a Canadian then we come North Ameican's. Canadian's do not like to be lumped in with the American's as "North American's". I am not sure why this is but it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure people from England and wales would disagree with your definition.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It set. Except for the Falklands. :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply][reply]

Ya know the more I think about it I would like to be called North American (if we all started that it would be one step closer to uniting with Canada (hey aer money is on even exchange now)[/reply]

blah....no thanks. :) I love my neighbors to the south, however, like all good neighbors, you don't want them around you all the time. :)

But wait I go South to get into Canada.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess I can't help to explain it to you, sorry.

Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It set during Victoria's reign and I don't mean the "Rain in Victoria" either ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, you get it, why can't others?

Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [kiwitri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
=============================================================

I don't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is funny as I was on the phone with England today and my distributor was laughing his ass off at what I was telling him people were saying. This is what he told me this morning.

Irish are Irish, Welsh are Welsh, Scottish are Scottish, English are English and British are uptight assholes who think they are better than the rest. I was laughing so hard.

Then he tells me that it must be a YANK that was not getting it.

Julian will get this one.

I always call him a Southerner as he is from York and you know that Northerners hate being called a Southerner. I only do this when he calls me a YANK. I can never remember what the cut off is for the north and south but the two Englishmen that I work with will always argue about what city is the cutoff.

I just never bring up Football around them (the real football not the American crap) ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's funny and very true. Next time it comes up call him a Northern Monkey, that goes down a treat. I like to tease a friend from Birmingham (pronounced Bir ming hmm) a Northern although his town is in the Midlands that leads to calling him a nothing as he's neither a Northerner or a Southerner. All good humoured fun.

It is said that the line is the Watford Gap which is a service station on the M1 (the first motorway to be built in England). http://www.leeds.ac.uk/reporter/439/kwales.htm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
=============================================================

I don't.

So you agree England is part of the Britain, You are English and therefore British, You just don't want to be called British. That I can understand, but the fact still stands you are.

Now please don't call me late for supper. (of course if supper has started and I am not there regardless of what you call me I will be later for supper).

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the town that they mention a lot. I could not remember what it was called. The M1 is where my buddy does all his crazy high speeds on his motor bike and gets all his tickets. Well enough about the BRITISH ISLES. We might get banned for to much Foreign Content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAve, thanks for your understanding and complying with my wishes. Such a small thing to do but never mind.

Good night, although I am sure you will disagree about that too. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next