Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
I find testing of the top 10 at this race entirely appropriate, and I'm very glad usada used resources to do so. This is the type of bust that will help serve as a major deterrent to amateur doping.

What type of fantasy land do you live in? This will do absolutely nothing to deter amateur "doping." She was sanctioned for not filling out paperwork to get a TUE to use a worthless supplement, a supplement that is sold OTC in every Walmart and is used by hundreds of thousands of people every day. This will have no effect on people who are intentionally doping with stuff that actually works. The only thing this shows is USADA wasting resources so it can claim it is making a difference (by busting menopausal recreational runners).

Drinking a Coke during a race has more of an ergogenic effect than a lifetime of DHEA use.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USADA is not wasting resources. The race pays for the testing.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Find a legit research study that shows DHEA is anything more than a placebo.

if it is ineffective, why did the doctor prescribe it ?
if it is ineffective, why does Kristi continue to take it ?

I'm happy to hear of this suspension. It's no different from me taking testosterone for 'medical reasons'. Doping is what it is, real simple.
A highly competitive runner who hasn't heard of TUEs ? it would make a cat laugh..

doctors/pseudo docs sometimes prescribe holistic medicines or practices. I definitely think this DHEA stuff is placebo as in that recent EPO study that gave 1% improvement performance on placebo. Perhaps that guy who mentioned hair growth improving also cleaned up his diet and started exercising....(?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a step back and look beyond your perceived injustice of the substance she was busted for. The deterrent is the fact that usada is now testing front of pack age groupers.

It's been said that pros failing an in-competition test is akin to failing an IQ test, because you have to be stupid to be caught there. The thing is, age group dopers don't even need to pass the IQ test, because they're virtually never tested.

Increased testing at these types of events will make some of them stop doing it. Why do you think that is a bad thing?

Also, for the record, this race has 1st-4th prizes of $2,000; $1,000; $600; and $200. 5th-10th get free entry into next year's race ($130 value). Kristi Anderson finished 7th, and cheated 11th place out of a $130 prize.

Would you feel differently if she'd won the $2,000? Especially if your wife had finished 2nd?
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that the winner won by 17 minutes and was also in that 50-54 AG. I hope she was tested too.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've attempted to respond to this thread three times, but deleted my comments because I couldn't say it any better than you have in your previous posts. I'm not sure what or why Arch is defending the guilty party or challenging the process, but I find his arguments weak and diversionary.

My only additional comment here is that while I find professional level doping disappointing, I find age group doping pathetic. Oh, and I'm not buying her story.

Edit for the insertion of a missing word "challenging".

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer: Dec 29, 14 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
She was sanctioned for not filling out paperwork to get a TUE to use a worthless supplement...

As been stated on this forum many times, getting a TUE is not as simple as filling out paperwork. It is highly unlikely that she would have been granted a TUE (at least based on the limited information we know about this case), so you can hardly blame it on paperwork.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all for testing age groupers, hell, I wish that every person in the race could be tested.

Jim,

If they did that there would be a lot of positives - way more than you think.

My sense is that if you took all the 2000 who raced at IMH in October and tested the whole field on a surprise test - the number of positives would be surprising in not a good way.

There would be a big group of willfully ignorant folks like this woman, "What's a TUE?" There would be another large group who would be just ignorant and positive test inadvertently from tainted supplements or something along those lines, and then a smaller group who knowingly where taking PED's

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
doug in co wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Find a legit research study that shows DHEA is anything more than a placebo.

if it is ineffective, why did the doctor prescribe it ?
if it is ineffective, why does Kristi continue to take it ?

I'm happy to hear of this suspension. It's no different from me taking testosterone for 'medical reasons'. Doping is what it is, real simple.
A highly competitive runner who hasn't heard of TUEs ? it would make a cat laugh..

doctors/pseudo docs sometimes prescribe holistic medicines or practices. I definitely think this DHEA stuff is placebo as in that recent EPO study that gave 1% improvement performance on placebo. Perhaps that guy who mentioned hair growth improving also cleaned up his diet and started exercising....(?)

If you are referring to the post by "Monty" he said it made his grey hair go back to brown, not improve growth.

I don't believe he recently started exercising though since he was a big time pro triathlete back in the 80s. Was that before you were born maybe?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Either way, I just hope that the first or only person they tested wasn't the 51 year old age grouper who was 7th in gender. //

This is exactly the person they should be testing, along with a few other AG's up from there. If you want to clean up AG racing, these are the folks to test. I have said it before, i believe if you tested the top 10 in each AG above 45, you would get over a 50% positive ratio. Most know what they are doing too, a few might be clueless and just took advice from a coach or friend without knowing. And DHEA works. I don't know where you get that it is not effective, it was used quite usefully in the old days. I knew guys taking 300+mg a day, and they absolutely thought/knew it worked. It was legal for a long time, and over the counter as you say, so it was widely used. I used a 25mg dose for about a year(while it was legal) and it absolutely had an effect on me. My gray hair turned brown again, and my sex drive went into overdrive. That is what i remember, so guessing that whatever caused those symptoms, also was working some magic on other performances. I remember being able to get it at costco too, super cheap and in large quanties. I just never felt good about taking too much of anything, vitamins, caffeine, or any of the other things we all tried that were not banned back in the day. But this one eventually made it to the list, and for good reason.

They used their testing dollars in the exact right spot, and the results bear it out..

Sign me up for some DHEA.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

People test positive all the time for stuff in OTC meds, and these are elites who are supposed to be cautious about this stuff--unlike amateurs just out to do a fun weekend event.

http://masterstrack.com/2010/05/12172/

Ephedrine. That's a full-blown stimulant, and behind-the-counter in the U.S. Admittedly, my knowledge is somewhat U.S.-centric.

I think you're exaggerating the frequency of this. Going down the USADA list there hasn't been a pseudoephedrine positive since 2004. And scanning down the list I can't spot any "OTC" positive over the past few years. Although I could be missing them if I don't know the chemical names correctly...

Nick Backstrom (hockey) was popped for Sudafed during the Sochi Olympics this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Yeah, just a mistake that they describe a recreational runner who does not hold a USATF license as a track & field athlete. It could not possibly be a way to puff up the unfortunate runner who tripped over rules that make no sense.

Lucky for us Travis Tygart saw fit to waste USADA resources on people doing fun runs. Note that failing to get a TUE for a substance that has no performance enhancing effect is worth a year's suspension while being spending years on a hardcore doping regimen, like Dave Zabriskie and Levi Leipheimer, warrants six months during the off-season. Way to go USADA.

Sorry, this was not a "fun run", and you're being intentionally obtuse if you continue to argue in this direction.

I find testing of the top 10 at this race entirely appropriate, and I'm very glad usada used resources to do so. This is the type of bust that will help serve as a major deterrent to amateur doping.

I find Kristi Anderson's "woe is me" story disgusting. She's a physical therapist; not knowing doping rules is close to professional negligence--and at the least pure stupidity. If she wants to take legally prescribed DHEA for health reasons, fine: she can also choose to not sign up for competitive races.

And shame on Lava magazine and the hack at materstrack.com for writing such one-sided stories.

I agree that the year's suspension is ridiculous when compared to Hincapie's and Leipheimer's off-season 6 months--but that's a reflection of them wrongly getting insanely light penalties. Compared to how they should have been punished, Anderson's year is entirely appropriate.

Agreed, especially on the parts in bold...if she wants to juice up for health reasons, go for it Kristi, but please don't toe the start line at races where other athletes are sacrificing the upside health that they can get by getting their doc to prescribe a PED that is fine for jacking up health but banned from sport. Those athletes choose to not take the best medication available from health care professionals and live with "lesser health" for the privilege of competing in sport. You want to go on the juice and be "healthy"....then no sport for you...at least no competition. The rest of us are suffering it out on bread and water while you're on your DHEA....
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I am all for testing age groupers, hell, I wish that every person in the race could be tested.

Jim,

If they did that there would be a lot of positives - way more than you think.

My sense is that if you took all the 2000 who raced at IMH in October and tested the whole field on a surprise test - the number of positives would be surprising in not a good way.

There would be a big group of willfully ignorant folks like this woman, "What's a TUE?" There would be another large group who would be just ignorant and positive test inadvertently from tainted supplements or something along those lines, and then a smaller group who knowingly where taking PED's

....or maybe she is flat outright lying. Certainly at her level she undertands that if here body is out of whack and she needs some hormone replacement, that's pretty well putting her in the PED taking camp. The fact that she even mentions "going on Oprah" suggests that she understand this...remember Lance saying to Oprah, "No I can't even do a fun run"....guess what Kirsti....if you are popped you can't even do a fun run like Pike's Peak.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

Nick Backstrom (hockey) was popped for Sudafed during the Sochi Olympics this year.

Good find. Oddly the only sanction seems to have been suspension from the gold medal game....
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
next time you get a cold call me.
I will prescribe whiskey and sleep.

Whiskey is allowed, in or out of competition!
Not in all sports it's not. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I doubt it was random. It's possible her competitors harbored suspicions and some may have contacted USADA.

Uh-huh. They suspected her of using something that has no performance enhancing effect so they called USADA.
The ergogenic properties of any substance or method is irrelevant. What matters is whether it's prohibited.

Being an ergogenic substance or method is neither a necessary nor sufficient reason for a substance to be prohibited.

It's really simple. If you choose to use a prohibited substance, then don't take out a licence and race.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
trail wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

People test positive all the time for stuff in OTC meds, and these are elites who are supposed to be cautious about this stuff--unlike amateurs just out to do a fun weekend event.

Ephedrine. That's a full-blown stimulant, and behind-the-counter in the U.S. Admittedly, my knowledge is somewhat U.S.-centric.

I think you're exaggerating the frequency of this. Going down the USADA list there hasn't been a pseudoephedrine positive since 2004. And scanning down the list I can't spot any "OTC" positive over the past few years. Although I could be missing them if I don't know the chemical names correctly...

Did you read the article that you linked? In it the author basically says that hockey players, including Backstrom apparently, regularly use pseudo ephedrine as a PED. In other words, they're not taking a couple of Sudafed because they have a cold. They're doing exactly what the ban on ephedrine was designed to prevent.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Canadian rower Silken Laumann got caught at the Pan Am games in 1995. She took over the counter Benadryl Decongestant Allergy (although a different Benadryl than what her doctor recommended)

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/laumann-fails-drug-test/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drinking a Coke during a race has more of an ergogenic effect than a lifetime of DHEA use.

Boom!

Best line on the thread!

Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking that if she was a black sprinter vying for an Atlanta Olympics spot, he/she would have gotten "less of a pass" from the Canadian public than golden girl Silken. To this day, I believe she should have gotten a solid 2 year ban, for one of the two:

1. Being stupid enough to take a banned cold medication
  2. Using one to get a boost and then coming out and lying to the public.

The former alone warrants a ban from the profession. Anyone who is going for Olympic gold should know better. She should have gotten a proper ban. No way a black track athlete who looks "less Canadian" gets off the hook so easily as Silken. And then her going on TV and showing the two boxes showing "this one is OK, this one is not OK blah blah blah" was a bit of crocodile tears just like the athlete who is the topic of this thread.

I remember racing at the World Military Games also in 1995. The team doctor said, "OK, no medication, no nothing, no vitamins, no supplements. You feel sick, you come and see me and if you need something it is coming out of this box and this box only. We can't have any of our soldiers test positive"....and that was just fun games for us. Our job was being soldiers, not athletes. Silken's job was to be an athlete and she claimed to not even know the basic rules of engagement. My sympathy for her excuses was pretty well zero then and now.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. DHEA has not been proven to offer any benefit to endurance athletes. How does this decision make WADA look better? How does it help in the battle against the really serious offenders who use T, EPO, and other drugs? This is in the same ballpark as catching Phelps smoking weed....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Dec 30, 14 5:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. WADA trying to earn its keep, and not showing much.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Exactly. DHEA has not been proven to offer any benefit to endurance athletes. How does this decision make WADA look better? How does it help in the battle against the really serious offenders who use T, EPO, and other drugs? This is in the same ballpark as catching Phelps smoking weed....

-Robert
It hasn't been proven to improve women's health. It hasn't been proven to help athletic performance. But people (men and women) still take it.

DHEA is banned by the NFL, NBA, and NCAA. That's the rule.

If you don't like a rule, change the rule. But until the rule is changed, you're cheating if you use DHEA.

(And what did WADA have to do with catching Phelps smoking weed?)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW - Pseudo-ephedrine was used being used as a masking agent for certain steroids at the time! That's my understanding of why it was and still is on the WADA banned substances list.

Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Exactly. DHEA has not been proven to offer any benefit to endurance athletes. How does this decision make WADA look better? How does it help in the battle against the really serious offenders who use T, EPO, and other drugs?

The goal is not to fight doping. It is to look like doping is being fought. It is theater, like putting Homeland Security on the northern border while hundreds of thousands run across the sourthern one. The goal is not to catch dopers because that is hard. Anyone intentionally doping, using stuff that works, and being the least bit careful will not test positive in competition. That leads to a problem of how to convince the rubes that something is being done. The problem is solved by loading up the restricted list with a huge variety of substances that exist in OTC products but have limited to nil effect of performance. That produces a steady stream of inadvertent doping cases and press releases to go with them. Testing amateurs, who cannot be expected to even attempt to follow the niggling details that still cause professionals to be caught out, will produce even more cases. Meanwhile the intentional dopers laugh about the kabuki theater being put on by the ADAs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next