Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeidiC wrote:
I'm not saying anyone is a doper and I'm not expressing an opinion on the rightness or wrongness of your pre-Worlds cortisone injection. I'm saying that you are coming down pretty damn hard on Kathy, and others, for doing something it would appear you have done, in apparently the same inadvertent manner. In my opinion (idiosyncratic as it may be), the appropriate response, in that case, is something more along the lines of, "yes, it's a mistake I've made and here's how you avoid it," rather than getting all huffy, holier-than-thou, and "hang them all" about it.

For your future info, cortisone injections are allowed out of competition but can trigger an in-competition positive if the steroid is still in your system. The allowable level is, I believe, 30 ng/dl (nanograms per decilitre). I have no idea how long it takes a cortisone injection to reduce to that level. Currently in cycling, you must take an eight day break from competition after a cortisone injection. I gathered that information by searching the internet.

And, yes, I said I was done with this conversation and I replied anyway. I am clearly a hypocrite on that matter, but now I'm done (probably).

So how am I beating up on Kathy? All I ask is if you know something is illegal, do you race?

So first you tell me what I did was illegal, and now you say they are legal OOC.

I will take my chances if I need to again since I wanted to be able to walk.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you take your chances and race, knowing that it might be illegal according to WADA?

It's just fun after all, just a hobby. And rules are rules, so you know....
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read again, Dave. I did not say what you did was illegal, I said it had a high probability of being illegal. Cortisone OOC is legal, as long as it is out of your system when you race. Whether or not your particular instance was legal or not would depend on the strength of the injection, how quickly you raced after receiving the injection, how much remained in your system, and the WADA allowable limit in the year you raced. The allowable limit was raised in recent years; I have no idea when. It just seems that with your "rules are rules" attitude, you would have gotten a TUE since it very well could have led to a positive test, especially since you were representing Team USA. And, yes, Lance had a cortisone positive. He was able to explain it away with a post-hoc TUE.

Sorry, Dave, I'm not usually this mean on the internet, but the hypocrisy of it all was overwhelming me. You have repeatedly stated that people need to know and follow the rules, medical conditions are not an excuse for the lack of a TUE, and whether you're racing or participating is inconsequential. You can't have it both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HeidiC wrote:
Read again, Dave. I did not say what you did was illegal, I said it had a high probability of being illegal. Cortisone OOC is legal, as long as it is out of your system when you race. Whether or not your particular instance was legal or not would depend on the strength of the injection, how quickly you raced after receiving the injection, how much remained in your system, and the WADA allowable limit in the year you raced. The allowable limit was raised in recent years; I have no idea when. It just seems that with your "rules are rules" attitude, you would have gotten a TUE since it very well could have led to a positive test, especially since you were representing Team USA. And, yes, Lance had a cortisone positive. He was able to explain it away with a post-hoc TUE.

Sorry, Dave, I'm not usually this mean on the internet, but the hypocrisy of it all was overwhelming me. You have repeatedly stated that people need to know and follow the rules, medical conditions are not an excuse for the lack of a TUE, and whether you're racing or participating is inconsequential. You can't have it both ways.

Dave, I am with Heidi and others. If you get shot up with cortisone, it is best that you check if you are in violation of the rules per WADA before an ITU WC. You can't have you cake and eat it too, just like people can't get shot up with T because their T values are low relative to their 25 year old youthful self. They need to compete fair and square with their T levels today. Likewise, if you messed up your back, you can't race get shot up with cortisone at the wrong time and still race because it is illegal. It is not a matter of getting caught or not like holding in football, or traveling in basketball where the foul is done in the full view of the refs and the fans. "Fouls" done in private that no one can see have a different degree of levy for a good reason and carry with them a different degree of outrage. This is also why we give Paula Newby Fraser and Tim DeBoom a pass for drafting at Kona, sitting in the sin bin and winning after that. They pushed the zone, in full view of TV, fans, media and refs, got dinged for drafting and sat out. Different scenario than athletes getting shot up in private be it with cortisone to fix injuries or T to jack up T levels, or DHEA which by some accounts can mask other shady activity.

If you can't make it to the start line while playing inside the WADA imposed box (as silly as it may be), then don't race. There is an entire lifestyle of training and pushing yourself with friends in training, in self organized track/FTP/swim workouts that one can enjoy. No one is stopping Lance from doing some killer workouts or pummeling his friends...he just can't race, he can't do a fun run, he can't enter his local masters swim race. That applies to all of us if we are inside the WADA imposed box. If you are taking something that is outside of what they allow, and doing so knowingly, sorry, but your reasoning of not being in the top 10 does not fly. Remember when Jonathan Vaughters got a bee sting in the Tour de France and the only thing that would bring it down enough so that he could see out his eye was illegal? Well, he had to not race the next stage. Why do you think you think you get off the hook for the same reason Vaughters had to sit out? You're banging on everyone to follow the doping rules and then saying that like Kristi, you're fine rolling the dice on a treatment that can pop you? And I don't buy your "this is a hobby thing". Life it not about whether something makes you money or not, it is about what is important to individuals....you're training 2 hours per day every day, all year....this is way beyond hobby. At 2 hours per day, it has 25% of the importance of most people's professional lives (say 8 hour per day) and well beyond "general health". So please don't pull that card.

Hey Heidi, I learned a long time ago, to never say, "I'm out". This is like the inverse of the old Seinfeld episode where Kramer immediately opted out:

Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you never miss an opportunity to talk about yourself and your results.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [sammydog1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammydog1 wrote:
Make sure you never miss an opportunity to talk about yourself and your results.

wow, jealous much? and anyway he didn't mention any of his accomplishments in this response and if he does its to embellish a point.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:
Consider this scenario however: an athlete who is on no prescriptions 99% of the time, he takes no supplements; as a result, he gives two shits about the WADA rules because he knows he is clean. 2 days before the race, he is ill, a Doc wants to prescribe predizone.

If you are ill 2 days before a race, then you need to consider whether racing at all is wise.

As a corticosteroid, you should not be stopping use suddenly (your doctor should be telling you this), dosage should be tapered down before ceasing use. Hence it is inappropriate to consider simply stopping use of such a drug immediately simply to avoid a "in-competition" dope test window, however that may be defined.

Since the drug is prohibited in competition, then either:
- don't use it at all (which depending on why it's being prescribed may or may not be sensible),
- talk to your doctor about alternatives for treating your condition that are not prohibited, or
- don't race, which may well be the most sensible option if you are ill and there are no viable alternatives for your health and well being, and especially since such drugs make you more susceptible to picking up other infections.

well, as someone who is INTIMATELY familiar with prednisone and all those roids for a variety of reasons (allergic reactions to trochanteric bursitis and asthma) my personal experience is that if i'm doing prednisone for asmtha, i hit it hard with 50mg the first day, then 40, then 30 and so forth and after about 4-5 days if i need more than 20 to get through the day it is ER time AND no shape to race. if i am within a week or so of needing prednisone for asthma then i'm not going to be able to do any racing.

prednisone/dexa for an allergic reaction i'd be able to race and also likely able to stop quickly (as i will have had an injection) but yeah, i might be on 10mg residual to keep the reaction at bay. definitely able to race on it then and would be checking the internets to see what the residual would be yadda...

dexa/prednisone for TB is going to be an IM injection and my docs have said to wait a week after the injection to work out so i'd be hard pressed to do the injection a day or 2 before an event - i'd either skip the event or schedule the injection a week out. again, no tapering there.

just my personal experience with roids...

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i totally get what you are saying and agree. the whole reason i stepped into this discussion is because you seemed to indicate that knowledge of HRT was equivalent to something shady and that (maybe not you?) indicated HRT (which i have always equated to estrogen and progesterone) was doping. as to the morphed discussion i am in agreement. no one is forcing anyone to stop training while taking (in my case) prednisone or race. i really don't think the womens are trying to turn the clock back with HRT - hell, that ship has LONG passed :) but simply make our lives a little bit more humane. maybe i'm naive, i dunno. i do know that HRT affords absolutely no athletic advantage, however, from what i have read.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jealous of what exactly? Seems alot of people on ST have similar results and don't need to mention them Ad nauseam
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [sammydog1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken. Lots of people with much better results too. I just post more on all kinds of stuff much of it unrelated to my own racing. Go enjoy some training and share your training, race adventures etc as many of us are interested in hearing about what each other are up to. The forum is a collection of people and their experiences and a medium for sharing. It is always possible to just glaze past any banter from specific posters if it is not that interesting or you don't have a common bond with that topic/content. Might be easier for us to get along than dwell in negativity. If you are here on this forum, there is a good chance that we are both athletes, and have a lot of common interests. We don't really get to know each other using the current angle of communication. Let's play rather than fight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of hypocrisy:

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15989411
2. http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=38221 (Iron supplementation might have a much better chance of success.)
3. http://naturalmedicinejournal.com/...on-older-frail-women (No increase in Bone Mass Density in older females. Some increase in strength. Not directly on point, but interesting study.)
4. http://www.hormone.org/...ct/fountain-of-youth (Some people use DHEA hoping it will increase endurance and muscle strength, increase energy, decrease fat, and boost immunity, but these effects have not been proven.)

Etc., ad nauseam.

So, WADA and USADA ban a substance that has not been proven to confer any significant benefit to endurance athletes. As one poster said above, one Coke in a race has more benefit than a lifetime of taking DHEA. If I had been this woman's doctor, I'd have suggested that she had adrenal fatigue from doing too many hard, long races and also dealing with the stresses of normal life. Don't over-train. Do some Tai-Chi, Yoga, relax. Take time off.

The punishment to this woman racer does nothing to advance the cause of anti-doping advocates, but, rather, proves once again that if you give a bureaucrat an inch he will take a mega parsec.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:

So, WADA and USADA ban a substance that has not been proven to confer any significant benefit to endurance athletes. As one poster said above, one Coke in a race has more benefit than a lifetime of taking DHEA. If I had been this woman's doctor, I'd have suggested that she had adrenal fatigue from doing too many hard, long races and also dealing with the stresses of normal life. Don't over-train. Do some Tai-Chi, Yoga, relax. Take time off.

The punishment to this woman racer does nothing to advance the cause of anti-doping advocates, but, rather, proves once again that if you give a bureaucrat an inch he will take a mega parsec.

I don't believe USADA had any choice to take an inch vs. any other distance. USADA followed their process like they're supposed to. They were asked randomly test the top 10. They randomly tested the top 10. They have no concession for older athletes. They have no concession for slower athletes. They just test, and then report the results. USADA very, very clearly advertises what it tests for. It couldn't be any clearer. If the race organizers didn't want to subject their athletes to the test for all those things then they shouldn't have paid for USADA's services. But they did.

Maybe you want to give someone in USADA the authority to say, "Oh, it's just an older, slow woman taking a mostly harmless substance. Let's just toss that one."

I'd argue that's a power you don't want to give to a doping bureaucrat - the authority to make arbitrary judgment calls about who's a doper and who isn't. That's tremendous power placed in the hands of a personality. That takes us back to the 80's when governing bodies tested themselves and tons of positives were quietly tossed in the trash. I want testing to be purely process, not personality and judgment. The sanctioning stage can have some judgment, as it did in this case.

As for DHEA being on the list despite being mostly useless and mostly harmless. That's valid. It's probably on the list because it's in very close chemical proximity to a bunch of other substances which are very effective performance enhancers. And when it went on the list, the research probably wasn't conclusive. I'm not even sure it's totally conclusive now. But it is very clearly on the list right now. And *not* taking DHEA isn't much of a burden on athletes, because it has almost zero medical purpose along with not being much of a doping agent. But if you want to start a petition to kick it off the list, I'll sign.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women our age take hormones to help us feel better and one of the effects is better sleep. Many women in their 50s don't sleep well due to our hormones. Another advantage is more energy for training. This banned substance may not in itself be scientifically proven to give an advantage, but as a menopausal woman if I sleep and train better than all my competitors, that is an advantage. I was considering approaching my own doctor for HRT so that I wouldn't feel so tired all the time.

At a high level of competition where testing is undertaken, if you regularly come in the top 10, you should be aware of the possibility of testing.

I don't buy any of the excuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"DHEA intake can increase muscle development under some conditions. A clinical trial reviewed in the 2010 edition of "Journal of the American Geriatrics Society" looked at the impact of DHEA on female athletic performance. Older women received oral doses of the hormone or an inert treatment for six months. They also performed a weekly training routine. Taking DHEA, relative to placebo, increased lower body performance and strength. The supplement also increased circulating levels of testosterone and estrogen."

There is also this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/730335 "DHEA supplementation improved lower extremity strength and function in older, frail women involved in a gentle exercise program of chair aerobics or yoga." "DHEA supplementation resulted in gains in lower extremity strength (from 459 ± 121 N to 484 ± 147 N; P=.01). There was also improvement in Short Physical Performance Battery score, a composite score that focuses on lower extremity function, in those taking DHEA (from 10.1 ± 1.8 to 10.7 ± 1.9; P=.02). There were significant changes in all hormone levels, including DHEAS, estradiol, estrone, and testosterone, and a decline in sex hormone-binding globulin levels in those taking DHEA."
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many men my age don't sleep well either. Having to wake up to take a leak at night. Lack of energy. Can't get it up often enough or long enough for the spin instructor. ;)

paul_d said it well earlier that the public is amazed at what a person our age can do. If we start allowing steroids and the like, we become infomercials for drug use. If we want that, then let's make the decision to go down that path; yet, somewhere down that path we'll get to the point where the drugs will have increased risks and our competition will feel some pressure to keep up with us.

Dave Campbell mentioned racing clean and beating the dopers. Well that usually doesn't work. Whether it was Lance Armstrong and his gang or Waldemar Cierpinski who took a second marathon gold medal away from Frank Shorter or Sun Yang the Chinese Olympic Gold Medalist who by all appearances would not need to dope. Clean racers are getting beat by dopers. Doping works.

This inability to be honest and accept the results is disturbing.

If we allowed dopers to turn in the paperwork or tested them beforehand and gave them a time penalty during the race, like we do for some infractions in a triathlon, that might make for interesting racing. I don't think dopers would do this though because they still want the benefit that doping gives them over others.

If it comes down to honesty, we could have postal triathlons like they have postal swim competitions where you mail in your results and they are posted for comparison. Much less invested compared to going to a race and being beaten by an AGer who dopes. I would be interested in that. No two triathlons are apples to apples either so postal triathlon results might give a person enough information about how they are doing compared to their peers without the cost.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adrenal fatigue is not a medical diagnosis. It is a made up diagnosis.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If DHEA provides no health or performance benefit, what's the harm in having it on the WADA list? If this woman has experienced no benefit from using it, why does she insist that's she's going to continue using it even though she now knows that it's banned?
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned DHEA could be used as a masking agent for other drugs. I don't know if that is true. However, it is a testosterone pre-cursor, so that could be why it is banned. As I mentioned before, there is benefit is very large doses for aging people. I have no idea how much this woman is taking.

Why she was taking it is that her doctor "prescribed" it. Meaning he told her to take if for 'adrenal fatigue". First off, you don't need a prescription for it, you can go get it at your local drug store. Secondly, as someone mentioned "adrenal fatigue" being a fake diagnosis, it seems in women's health these days, its a pretty common term. And whether DHEA is going to fix that, I seriously doubt. it. This woman should have fired her doctor and found another doctor who could address her real issues.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
Adrenal fatigue is not a medical diagnosis. It is a made up diagnosis.

Yeah, it's an "alternative medicine" term. The legit medical term is "adrenal insufficiency."
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those increases in lower body strength are for very short exercises and are of a magnitude that is extremely low. How many frail, elderly women are running ultras? Or triathlons? I'd say about zero. This study is not proof that DHEA confers a benefit for endurance athletes. Find ONE peer reviewed study that finds a benefit to endurance athletes taking DHEA.

I don't recommend anyone take DHEA. It's a worthless supplement for athletes. It may offer some benefit for certain conditions but even those benefits are poorly studied and mostly unknown. The problem here is that WADA can just pick a drug, without any evidence meeting any standard and declare it prohibited. This is not the kind of power we want to give anyone over our bodies.
-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
The problem here is that WADA can just pick a drug, without any evidence meeting any standard and declare it prohibited. This is not the kind of power we want to give anyone over our bodies.
-Robert

But....they don't have that power over my body. They're not saying I can't take DHEA; they're saying I can't take DHEA if I want to compete. Totally different.

A race can't prohibit me from running on road x instead of road y as a general rule. But they can say that the course uses road x, and if I choose to take road y instead then I should be disqualified.

To me, the question of whether the rules are silly or unjustified is completely distinct from the question of whether you follow the rules. If you're not willing to follow the rules, don't compete.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really just scanned this thread to see if anybody like Mr. Pickels had any input. Be nice to the people that know what they are talking about! They are a great resource on ST and have a lot to offer.

The sad thing is that a weekend on the T-nation forums will teach you more about banned substances/PEDs/masking agents than any of us with advanced degrees in exercise physiology learned in school. Most of the infotainment in this thread came from neither.

Cheating exists in many forms. Don't do it. For every little bit it improves your results, it hurts the community and the sport much, much more.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
per usada
Substances and Methods Prohibited In-Competition Only
This section focuses on substances that are prohibited in-competition only. These substances are not tested for out-of-competition.
It is very important to be aware of the definition of “in-competition.” Each International Federation (IF) may have a different definition and it may vary by event. For some events, this period may be defined as 12 hours before the start of the competition and different rules may apply to multi-day events (for example, the Olympic Games). It is an athlete’s responsibility to learn the definition of in-competition for the sporting events in which he/she is competing.

Athletes must ensure that all substances prohibited in-competition have been completely cleared from their body before competition. This means the substances are not detected in the sample. It is not possible for USADA to list specific stop times for substances prohibited in-competition. If the on-going or daily use of a substance is needed, or the medication cannot be stopped before an event long enough to allow it to clear from your body, apply for a therapeutic use exemption (TUE).

For the purposes of age group testing in triathlon, have there ever been any "in competition" tests that were taken at any time other than immediately following the race? In not, then immediately after the race seems to be a good practical rule of thumb for what "in competiton" means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like you're unnecessarily complicating the issue.

For an AG competitior, which is what this thread is about, the risk of being tested for any substance prohibited in cometition is immediatly after the race. While the definition of "in competion," may vary and could include substances in your body the evening prior to the event, AGers are not testing the evening prior to an event. So far an AGer, "in competiton" means what's in your system immediately after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: USADA Suspends Marathoner [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
For an AG competitior, which is what this thread is about, the risk of being tested for any substance prohibited in cometition is immediatly after the race.

Disagree

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply

Prev Next