Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations TBG, 5000+ views of nothing. Seinfeld's got nothing on you.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Living on Austin time. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sense of place is good. I've lived in Texas and it's a great place but ohmygod I love northern California- from the beaches, to the bay, San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, the central valley, the foothills, Monterey, Santa Cruz & the mighty Sierras. There is more varied culture & terrain in a half day's drive than anywhere in the US, perhaps the world. Sea kayak SF or Tomales Bay one day, bike the coast range hills in Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano the next, or head for spring skiing at Squaw Valley or break out the play boat for some whitewater kayaking on the American River. And halleluah, the French Laundry re-opened last week.

And two weeks from now its gonna be great doing the Alcatraz tri as a local event. Damn, I'm spoiled.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lyle Lovett...can't think of the album name - the one with If I Had a Boat, L.A. County, She's No Lady...

-or-

Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue Volume I

two that just never seem to grow old. but there are so many. BoDeans. Rolling Stones. Couldn't pick one.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongeek you are wonderful so so wonderful.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Living on Austin time. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to see this thread still burbling along. Haven't got much to say except that it is a cold and clear night down here at the bottom of the world, I am having a glass of red wine, and getting ready to get up and confront the gods of swimming in the morning.
They laugh at me with no little scorn, but as they say, vengeance is a dish best served cold...and wet.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow (I'm stranded alone on a desert island - you're damn right I'm depressed!)

mp
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pontiac. Great album.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pontiac - of course - thank you - braindead last night. Yes, I'd hate to have to choose between his albums, but that's one of my all time favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [tritoronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going The Smiths road it has to be Meat Is Murder. If Morrisey it's gotta be Viva Hate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever heard Quicksand's cover of the Smiths' "How Soon is Now?" That's one of the all-time best covers of one of the all-time best songs, in my opinion.

Quote | Reply
This is a serious question, not intended to denigrate those choices already thrown out there. . .why, when asked for "favorite album" or "music to be stranded on an island with" do folks inevitably start listing *semi* obscure bands. . .No one EVER brings out well known and far more popular, yet still musically interesting choices. . .

Examples:
Yes, 90125
Pink Floyd, The Wall
AC/DC, Back in Black
U2, War
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book
Aerosmith, Toys in the Attic
Eric Clapton, 461 Ocean Blvd
The Clash, London Calling
The Eagles, Hotel California
Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks
Johnny Cash, Live at San Quentin
Led Zepplin, IV

And I could go on. . .I'm just puzzled why folks always seem to pull out the semi obscure. . .and you rarely see the above and others of their kind listed. . .

Nirvana, Nevermind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Stevie Wonder, Talking Book
If you're taking Stevie, you've got to go with Innervisions, or for sheer volume, Songs in the Key of Life.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you let yourself get drawn into the religious thread. You almost never let that happen.

I try to get out, but they drag me back in...

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you are going The Smiths road it has to be Meat Is Murder. If Morrisey it's gotta be Viva Hate.
Viva Hate is great. Better than any Smiths or Morrissey record IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm just puzzled why folks always seem to pull out the semi obscure. . .and you rarely see the above and others of their kind listed ...

Two thoughts:

1) Since the above are pretty much very well-played from their release on - being "Classics" and all - we can all hear them in their entirety in our heads anytime we choose (no need to take them with us) The "obscure" ones are heard less often, maybe only once or twice, possibly not at all, and may take the whole "waiting-for-rescue" time to be played out.

2) They're just trying to be cool.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't believe you let yourself get drawn into the religious thread. You almost never let that happen.

I try to get out, but they drag me back in...

What can I say, I'd had a few drinks last night and I slipped up. I'm out of it for good now, though.

Yet another reason to stay away from alcohol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No argument from me on those two either, Jaylew. . .just two more you NEVER see listed. . .

I suspect someone else had it correct when they proposed that many of these folks are trying to demonstrate some level of "cool". Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .

My contribution to "cool". . .

Hoodoo Gurus, Mars Needs Guitars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy, good question. Maybe the answer has to do with the distiction between what is the most popular or commercially successfull and what is best. A lot of times mediocre stuff that appeals to the mass market, the lowest common denominator, is the most successful without being critically acclaimed as the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to put a vote in for Bona Drag. Interesting Drug could be an anthem if more people heard it.

Nick

PS Shows how much I know - Bona Drag turns out to be a compilation.Where the hell was I that I missed this the first time round? I only just found out when I looked up the song to make sure it actually "meant" what I thought it did. I made the same mistake with Weezer and 'Hash Pipe'...
Last edited by: goobie: May 26, 04 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: The Seinfeld Thread. . . [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granted, 99% of the stuff that appeals to the mass market is junk. . .but the ones I named were both popular, AND acclaimed. Some not until well after initial release, but all have stood the test of time as superior efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul Simon - Graceland That CD never gets old no matter how many times I listen to it.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Viva Hate is great. Better than any Smiths or Morrissey record IMO. "

Dude your so white you make Briant Gumble look like Malchom X.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Californication Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The most complete album in many years before and after it came out.

David J
ASU SUN DEVILS!!!!

david
asc-arizona state cycling
tribemultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Viva Hate is great. Better than any Smiths or Morrissey record IMO. "

Dude your so white you make Briant Gumble look like Malchom X.

You stole that line from Chapelle Show!!

Don't I get credit for my Stevie Wonder post in this thread?? He is my all time favorite, after all.

You should know by now that I like it all, Jon. I'm a music lover through and through. Doesn't matter what genre.

You could at least try to spell a name correctly every now and then, couldn't you? ;) Good lord, Tibbs. Briant? Malchom? You did that on purpose, right?
Last edited by: jaylew: May 26, 04 22:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You did that on purpose, right?"

Yeah on purpose. Sure a little spelling humor. Look over there! (Tibbs runs off in shame.)

"You stole that line from Chapelle Show!!"

I did not steal it I lifted it. Not the same thing

Quote Reply

Prev Next