Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty easy this morning, just getting everything activated. 5k OW nationals tomorrow morning. I've got the 3rd seed, but the top guy is about a minute ahead of me in the 1650 seed time, hope I can catch his feet.

300 warmup
8x50 drill
3x100 with ankle band
2x50 25 sprint/ 25 easy
4x100 cruise

1500scy

-----
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck tomorrow Adrian, and a minute is right in the range that you should be able to stay on his feet. You do enough fast swimming that you can take it out with him, then settle in and make sure you dont touch his feet and piss him off!! Just be silent as possible back there, and when the last 100 comes around, get him on the run out. Most likely he is a pure swimmer, so you should have the ground legs on him, just time the stand up perfect. If you can warm up where the finish will be, go there and experiment with sight and hand bottom touches on the perfect place to pop up. Most pure swimmers are horrible at that, and you could be two body lengths back and still make the pass...
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, thanks. He's definitely a pure swimmer, and I looked up his time on the master's swimming site and it's legit; he's also 54 so if it comes down to a sprint up the shore then yeah I think I've got an advantage there. They have decided to do a time trial start for COVID mitigation, so he'll be getting a 10-15s head start on me; strategically that's great, because I can just sit back and win via the start difference, but not if he gets a huge lead to start. I know the #2 seed, he's a friend and I don't think he can beat me but he's not a bad swimmer, so I hope I can use him to slingshot up there. And you never know who just made up a slow time and is actually going to be hunting us all down from behind.

The race isn't full and they might accept a day-of entry if you feel like hopping on a plane today :), but you might still be in quarantine. We're dodging covid bullets out here, my son's 4th grade class has had about 5 test positive so far after 3 weeks (he and only two others wear masks all day), plus the teacher is now out for quarantine until the end of next week, so he'll be mixing with other classes and substitutes.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, still in quarantine, but more important, feeling several symptoms of covid. Still testing negative though, got another result coming tomorrow. Wife got a negative result today for 3rd time, and she is sick as a dog. No taste or smell, and several other ailments. SO apparently being vaccinated also means you will pop negatives while you have it.

That TT start makes things a bit more tricky, hopefully the fast guy doesn't understand how important the first two minutes are, and gives you that chance to way over swim, but get on his feet. But as you say, if that happens, then the finish is a fore gone conclusion, but beat his ass up the ramp anyway...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a great race!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
28 mi bike, volunteered at the OSU XC meet (the Jamboree, for anyone who follows college XC) and the high school meet after, then a 2000 m easy swim

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Another FT PR yesterday - 2:59.0 for 200m.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats! That's great!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got another negative covid test last night, have no idea what is going on here. So went to the pool today just do swim a super easy 2500 and try and connect last weekend with next one.

20x50s@;50(44 to 38)
10x50IM kick@1;05(58 to 53)
500 easy pull(6;34)
10x50 buoy@;50(41 to 39)
2500SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope that means you're doing better.

Well Monty, you were right that I could catch that guy seeded ahead of me, but it took all of the first 2.5k lap, and only because he swam pretty wide for most of it. On the second lap he pulled away, and I hit the wall. After 4500 yards, my left calf seized up and I had to stop and squeeze it back into submission, only for my right calf to do the same about 500 yards later. Even had a kayaker start to approach me and I waved them off, I must have looked in trouble.

so in total 5352 yards on my watch, with splits every 500y (accuracy there is suspect). Most folks I talked to had the race a bit long, but mine was ~115 yards short.

6:17
6:06
6:14
6:06
6:39
6:53
7:19 -- started doing some backstroke and such jus to break it up
7:04
6:28
6:44
5:52 (352 yards)

1:11:43 official time

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cramping in the water is the worst, do you have a clue as to why? I as a matter of course salt load before every race, been doing that for a couple decades now. I know there are many reasons for cramping, but mine are primarily salt/mineral related.

Good job going for it though, that is a long time to chase someone that only started a handful of seconds ahead. I presume you got 2nd? No shame there, this guy was supposed to beat you and you gave him a race!! And looking at your splits, you certainly did not leave anything in the tank, always a good feeling giving it your all for the win sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why I cramped, I also take in extra electrolytes the week leading up to a race. The water was warm, 82F+, but I'm pretty used to that so I never felt overheated. I do still sweat a lot, so maybe I should have stuff a gel down my suit. I do start to feel my calved tighten up on longer/harder swim sessions, but usually only on the push off the wall, so I didn't think I had to worry about it just swimming, especially since I wasn't kicking hard. Guess I just need to get out in the open water more often for long swims, without the SwimRun gear.

I did get 2nd overall, but only by 3s over 3rd place, who was the 23rd seed. The first and third place guys did not look the part of a fast swimmer, they were overweight middle aged dudes. If they showed up to a triathlon you would assume they are just there to finish.

While my back and shoulders feel about as I would expect after a hard swim today (especially with no warm down), my calves feel like a did an all-uphill half ironman. Still sore and tight after a day of rolling, hand massage, stretching, and gun massage.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won the women's division of the Tallchief 3 mi OW race today. Four men beat me I think - there is an issue with the results because there is a guy I did battle with over the last 400m who isn't showing up on the results. Anyway 1:08:14, splits 21:55, 23:05, 23:15. The second and third split include a short "run" between laps - I walked because I am babying my foot. So, pretty even splits, had a lot of fun, represented Team Fishtwitch!

Course may have been a bit short, or it was long 4 years ago when I swam a 1:19.
I swam another mile lap to cool down.

15 mi bike in the PM.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Sep 19, 21 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just swam 5,813yds, breaststroke.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds enjoyable. May I ask why you did so much breaststroke?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
that sounds enjoyable. May I ask why you did so much breaststroke?

I like breastroke. I have a race on 9/26 though and will mainly do freestyle in the race, but like training breaststroke.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first tri in 6 years, was a bit intimidated by both the swim and riding the tri bike.. had to get my wife to zip me into my wetsuit the day before, just checking I could still fit..

swim went OK, tried to go out slow but still led the wave around the first buoy, one of my drafters came by there. I could feel myself slowing, just don't have the strength right now after a year of no-swim due to covid and another six months of bicep tendonitis. Another two came by on the second turn, so 4th out the water in 60-plus wave I think.
12:20 on my watch for 880yds (theoretical, who knows actual distance). Official time 13:02 which includes a stumbling run on rocks about 150yds. I need to train my barefoot running more..

cassette lock ring came loose on bike, two of the cogs slipped off the hub and rattled around, never had that happen before. Lost about 3-4min there, first stop when the chain jammed to free it, again because I could hear/feel things rubbing and sticking, but couldn't find the problem in the heat of the moment. That probably cost two places in AG, from 4th to 6th. The podium was well out of reach though so I don't really care about 6th ;-)

miserable run, getting old is not any good for running..
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 x 200 on 3:30 w/u
50 kick
100 fast
50 kick
100 fast
5 x 300 on 5, except a couple of them with a 50 kick after
5 x 400 on 7, except a couple of them with a 50 kick after
100 easy c/d

4500 m or so plus 15 mi bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to TC and Adrian on your OWS 5Ks. Very impressive times/consistent pacing.

3400 SCY in my 1 hr in pool
1500 (21:15)
10x100 alt BK/IM on 1:45 (1:26-31)
4x50k on 1:15
6x100P on 1:30 (1:16-7)
100 drill/cool down

My 5K race yesterday was running. Did 22:20 and won the 60+ age group and beat the top 50+ guy. Very pleased as avg about 10 miles/week running at 9;15 pace. First running race since 1991.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
nice job in the 5k. Since 1991 is a long time w/o a running race. Do you do mostly tri's?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good results everyone. It looks like everyone is jumping back in to get some sort of racing in before the weather turns. So I got my oldest married and bought a vacation home all in the same month. Not
much time to train but I’m entered in a sprint tri saturday. Been training like 4 hours a week avg and only a couple swims in the last month. I need to test ride my tri bike before the weekend and get in a few swims. I’ve done a handful of runs on pavement the last few weeks so I made a little progress there but the bad news is my weight is a little high right now. I’m contemplating buying a used swim spa for my new place. I told everyone that it’s a party spa hahhahaha
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2500m easy and 21 mi bike easy
easy mostly because I am a bit out of it from donating blood yesterday
Saw the PT today, who found a bunch of weak stuff in my R shoulder (which bugs me sometimes). I am looking forward to fixing it. She gave me some stretches to do for right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great 5k time for a 64 year old(I think that is your age?) And 10 miles a week if run properly, is plenty for guys like you and i. I was getting about that mileage last year when I was running more, and did a couple treadmill 5k's right about were you are. I think I still got a 20 flat in me, but what my brain thinks and what my body will allow, have diverged over the years..Still on the back end of covid here, so taking lots of days off, but got in for an easy 2k swim today:

5x100s@1;40(1;27/26/25/24/22) 5x100IM kick@2;05(1;57/55/54/53/49)
10x50 buoy@;50(40 to 38's)
500 easy pull(6;20) much faster than it felt
2000SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at my current pace of swimming.... Im gonna need to give myself lessons before I start up again.

Dome is back on the pool here so motivation is low as the days are still quite warm and sunny.
Usual sept slump around here

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6700m or so. Still feeling a bit lackluster from donating blood (I am still under 48 hrs post donation)

20 x 100 on1:45
10 x (50 kick + 200 desc) 3:00, 2:57/56/54/53/52/51/49/49/50
4 x (50 kick + 500 swim)
100 kick

Quote Reply

Prev Next