Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took down a few Strava records this morning. It’s easy to do when you record your bike ride as a run. Hopefully they get removed. Swam Monday 2600yds it looks like the pool heater has been fixed. Felt off since I was out of the water a few weeks . Another swim workout tonight gonna get in 3k.

My bike ride skills are super poor. I can’t get aero and I can barely turn my head and look behind me. Zwift has ruined me . That and getting old. I don’t think I have any ambitions to get better and just making triathlon a participatory thing at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a guy out here, a couple blocks over from me.

He goes and rides these trails which are small and fun but not very long. Maybe 5 miles total and it takes him about an hour or so to do them. Leaves his garmin on when he drives home (trails are .5 of a mile away and downhill from his house) but he drives?? anyways, he keeps taking my KOM only to have me HAVE to email him through strava and be like... "again??"

Im done reaching out. I have 4 times now... seems like it ought to be enough. But its now been 3 months and he has not corrected it.

My point in all this is.... yes, strava will correct it. Just might take a day or so.

I might try swimming today......

might....

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So leading to my 70.3 I had gotten my endurance up to where I can handle that sort of volume every session. Based on time I'm usually getting 2100m every session. I just focused on endurance since April and just getting it so I could do enough. Now, I need to get some speed added before IMAZ. I want to be able to swim that sucker in like 1:40 and not 1:50.

Paddles? PB work? Just don't be a sissy and up my cadence?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many weeks before IM AZ?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently 8.5 weeks away.

Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will get the fire back Dave, just might take awhile and some out there goal to chase. End of summer seasons are always hard, maybe work on something you have neglected, a fast 5k or something?

Well yesterday did not trash me, so maybe my covid is really on the way out, so did another 2k+ today, but a bit faster:

12x100@1;40-6swim(1;25 to 1;17)6 buoy(1;19 to 1;16)
3x100IM kick@2;00(1;55/54/49)
500p strong and long(6;13)
4x50@1;00(breast(44)back(41)buoys(37/35)
2200SCY
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday swim, still in recovery mode from OW nationals:

300 warmup
8x50 drill
4 rounds:
5x100 as swim, buoy, paddles + buoy, paddles, swim
2x25 fly
2x25 drill
4x50 cruise

3300scy

Wed, feeling the need for speed (hips still feel messed up from the OW swim):

300 warmup
8x50 drill
10x200 on 2:45 as 50 'ez speed', 100 smooth, 50 build with strong kick (2:10-09-08-08-08-07-07-07-07-07) so for the last 5, the splits are something like 29-33-33-31high
5x100 paddles + ankle band on 1:20 (1:04-05's)
6x50 cruise

3500scy

+ short bike session

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
6700m or so. Still feeling a bit lackluster from donating blood (I am still under 48 hrs post donation)

20 x 100 on1:45
10 x (50 kick + 200 desc) 3:00, 2:57/56/54/53/52/51/49/49/50
4 x (50 kick + 500 swim)
100 kick

Yikes. 6700m.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my......er......"sprint days".

Today I wanted a new dive-in 25m PR. 15.5sec was the dream.

On a couple of warmup dive-ins I did 16.0sec and 15.75sec (a new PR).

And then on The 25m ITSELF......I did a meh dive and 15.75sec again.

I sulked for a few minutes and then told myself "one more".

Then I did 15.5sec!!

(Mr Dressel should start worrying.)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Sep 23, 21 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering we are triathletes, there's a lot of peeps swimming 50s and 100s. You can still get quick sticking to swimmers swim sets, but I've found longer stuff (200s, 300s, 400s+) much more beneficial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always liked dressel’s “pressure is good” quote. 4200m ish and 4 mi walk. Yesterday I rode 43 miles.

20 x 100 on 1:40
50 kick
8 x (200 fast, 50 kick) 256/54/52/49/47/47/49/49
Goofed around some fly kick

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So looking back at my Garmin data over the past few months, other than gaining overall endurance progress has stagnated. I'm averaging over all the swims I've done since July - 28 Strokes per minute. Just in my brain I know I need to find at least 10 more SPM and 15 SPM would be a godsend.

I think this is in the realm of stop being a sissy and putting in sprints and swimming hard.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 24, 21 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WELL DONE !

I swam today (2nd swim this week but first was in my backyard 44ft pool)... so really first swim of the weel.

2500 total

1000 as 200 fr 50 bk
500 as 75 swim 25 kob
10 x 100 on 1:25 breathing every 5 strokes #3,6&9 were a tempo effort and was 109s on them.

thats all.
not much really.

will get back into swimming this fall... which is now??? ha

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did 20minutes ez on the treadmill then to the pool for about 2200. Main set was 4 75s on 1:20 do the first one strong and try to hold pace for all four. So I went 51 for all four which was good though I was breathing a little heavy after the last one. Got my feel back to a decent level. Pulled a 300 in 3:40 without too much strain.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Considering we are triathletes, there's a lot of peeps swimming 50s and 100s. You can still get quick sticking to swimmers swim sets, but I've found longer stuff (200s, 300s, 400s+) much more beneficial.

Yeah. I hate to admit this on a tri forum, but I have never done a tri in my life, and I never will. :)

My sports dream in life is.....well, see my sig!!

(I used to run 31:09 10k though. Two out of three ain't bad?)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Sep 24, 21 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering we are triathletes, there's a lot of peeps swimming 50s and 100s. You can still get quick sticking to swimmers swim sets, but I've found longer stuff (200s, 300s, 400s+) much more beneficial. //

As they should be. It is not either or, but both, and if you look closely at virtually every triathlete swimmer here, they do a combination of both long and short. LDS is fine for building that endurance, but without that 50/100 speed, you get left out of the group that you were supposed to swim with. Just ask Lionel or Sam Long, or Jordan how all that distance worked out for them. They could all out swim for a 5k a lot of folks in the front groups, but unfortunately they are never there to prove it. Most those guys are quite happy and fighting to just get in the 2nd group, one where their endurance is well above the rest swimming with them..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the race go Tony? Hopefully some surf to break up some of the pool swimmers from the beach folks. I missed the past couple days, but got one in at sea level in Palm Springs, and the extra O2 felt great!

3x(500@7;30/200IM kick@4;30/100IM @2;00) 500s(6;57)500buoy(6;47)500p(6;09) kicks(3;48/45/47) IM's(1;22/20/19)
250 IM pulling
2650SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My R shoulder has been bugging me since my Midweek long swim. Yesterday I rode 68 miles. 1800 m (300 of it kicking) today, stuff still not feeling great. I am looking forward to seeing the PT on Tuesday morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No swim today, at the end of a 5-swim week.

I'm thinking that Saturday October 2nd will be My 6:07 Attempt!! It will be 4 weeks since 6:11.

I want 6:07 in October, 6:03 in November, and 5:59 in December!!!

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Sep 26, 21 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's session, decided to add a few 50m sprints in to see what it takes to swim hard. Ended up doing those 6 times in total. Still a lot of work to do, but probably need to do even more. But starting to add more distance so I can be ready for the volume that is the IMAZ swim.

5x50 warm up
1x100 Warm Up
2x50 @ 53 Sprint
1x100 recovery
2x50 @ 53
1x100 recovery
2x400
1x800
2x50 @ Blowout!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have posted yesterday - 1hr “FTP” solo OW swim 😁. Cracked metric 4K in under an hour (good sign for a 5k next weekend). Passed the HIM marker at just under 29min and hit the IM distance under 58min. Topped off a week of 10,800yds.
https://strava.app.link/Rdv4Sg5DSjb
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My triathlon was a borderline disaster from a performance standpoint. I went a 1:55 for a sprint tri I was expecting 1:25 -30ish. Swim went well I was leading my wave half way through and then a guy came up beside me and I got on his feet for a little bit but I let him go. I cruised in and caught a wave to shore was right behind the leaders and I stopped when I saw my GF and I had her unzip my wetsuit and pull it down to my waist. Steep path up the bluff to transition, I walked it at a steady pace. Bike course up and down hills on PCH pretty much kicked my ass it was only 12 miles. I didn’t feel comfortable going full speed down the hills so I was braking some to stay in control. I was really tense the whole ride cause was worried about falling over. Run transition I got weird abdominal cramp just one ab muscle not the whole stomach and I laid down to try and relax it. Ended up being 3:30 of time then the run I had severe joint pain in my legs. I think the bike tension really screwed up my body I really couldn’t run so I run/walked to the finish. Wasn’t even breathing hard at the end. Rough splits 15/53/42 with 5 min of transition.

So my bike prep pretty much doomed me and then no practice running off the bike I’m sure caused me to not be able to run. I guess thats what you expect from a swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry you had a rough race.

6 mi easy run, 1000m easy swim (shoulder felt almost okay, didn't want to push it), shoulder PT

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So back in the pool. The funny thing was I felt just like a normal swim day as if I didn't do anything over the weekend. Even did a bunch of dolphin kick on my back and it was pretty strong/fast.

2400 yds. 300 s/k/pull, pull was 3:35
8 100s 50K/ 25S/25 dolphin kick on back 15 sec rest interval
4 x 150 pull 100fr/50br on 2:20
100 w/d

Gonna try to do 3 runs and 3 bikes a week, to see if I can do little better in another tri. No reason to not do another one just need to tweak my prep a little. I put my tri bike on my trainer and I'm not going to use anything but that anymore also I'm going to throw in a 10-15min run after I get off my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So super smoky up here yesterday, so took another day off. So latest pattern is to swim one day, two days off in-between. Seem to be holding steady with that, so time to perhaps start running, and maybe biking too. Could see you at some sprint Tony!! thinking about the postal 3k now, so going to start doing some longish straight swims to get ready..

5x100s@1;40(1;25 to 1;20) 2x100IM kick@2;00(1;54's)
1500buoy holding strong pace(20;42--6;53/6;53/6;56) 150 kick
500 easy pull@7;00(6;27) 150IM kick
6x50 buoy@;50(40's)
3300SCY
Quote Reply

Prev Next