Quote | Reply
I felt pretty good this morning. 4000m or so, then lifting

5 x 200 on 3:30 w/u
5 x (50 kick + 100 fast) 1:25-1:23
5 x (50 kick + 200 fast) 2:55, 2:51, 2:47, 2:46, 2:46
5 x (50 kick + 100 easy)
some fly and breast kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did some race prep for this weekends OW race, just in case I actually pitch up. Went back to an old set I used to do and haven't in a long time, don't know why really. It is super good for that blast off start that "always" happens at the start of an open OW start. A very fast 100 pull, then into a 200 recovery trying to hold race pace, and negative split it into breathing normal again:

5x100s@1;40(1;26/24/22/20/16)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;53/52/49/47/42)
2x(100p@1;15 hard/200buoy@3;15 recovery with pressure/200IM kick@5;00 keeping HR up) #1(1;06/2;44/3;50)#2(1;04/2;37/3;45)
500p hard descend(6;06--1;15/14/13/13/11)
200 flutter kick(3;59)
6x50 buoy recovery descend(43/41/40/39/39/37)
3000SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 6 mi easy run and 21 mi easy bike

3000m or so, main set 10 x (200 fast + 50 kick) 2:58, 2:56, 2:53, 2:49, 2:47, 2:46, rest in the 2:47-2:49 range

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam in a local OWS race today. 1.6 miles in a bit under 42 minutes. A couple of high school hot shots went 1st and 2nd. I was 9th and I think 5th without wet suit.

Before we started, a brief moment of silence for 9/11. I thought of my high school swimming team mate Karl who was on 104th floor of North Tower that day, He was also a distance swimmer and I chased him in practice for 2 years. Senior year he got shoulder impingement syndrome and converted to breaststroke, freeing up a spot for me in the 500 for dual and championship meets. We both ended up swimming in college. He was one of those guys who kept practices fun, always a few pranks and never too winded for some wise ass comment between a repeat on short interval. Now here I am 46 years later, swimming a distance event and remembering practices with Karl like they were yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
yesterday 6 mi easy run and 21 mi easy bike

3000m or so, main set 10 x (200 fast + 50 kick) 2:58, 2:56, 2:53, 2:49, 2:47, 2:46, rest in the 2:47-2:49 range

OMFG look at you!! Run/bike/swim!!!

This morning I swam a 200m PR!! 2:54.0, with splits of around 41.5/43.5/45.0/44.0.

Now, the thing is, ....I wasn't killing it. On the last 50m I remember thinking to myself "This is not max effort, is it?" It was a rather tentative affair. I know I can do 2:52.

And also, I've completely re-arranged my swim-program. I kept having major conflicts between what looks good on paper and how I feel in the pool. I'm doing what makes me happy!! (There will not be any 5000m swims!) :)

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on the PR!

4000 yards for me today with 5 x 500 desc to fast 6:57, 6:35, 6:25, 6:23, 6:25. 50 kick between them

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
congrats on the PR!

4000 yards for me today with 5 x 500 desc to fast 6:57, 6:35, 6:25, 6:23, 6:25. 50 kick between them

Thanks.

I just did some math: 500 yards = 457 meters. So, you did multiple My 2021 Dream. :)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just did some math: 500 yards = 457 meters. So, you did multiple My 2021 Dream.

I grew up swimming - my earliest memory is swim lessons. It's just decades (literally) of doing it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I just did some math: 500 yards = 457 meters. So, you did multiple My 2021 Dream.

I grew up swimming - my earliest memory is swim lessons. It's just decades (literally) of doing it.

Yeah. It's still amazing to me though. :)

I started at 57!! Some people use the term AOS. I'm SOS!! (Senior Onset Swimmer.)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're sweet. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice Job on the OWS race, and that was a really nice remembrance of your friend Karl. I too had many friends who lived in that area of NY at the time who lost very close friends and family. And of course I lost a ton of my extended Fire dept family that day too..

Well I drove up to do my OW race, got a hotel with my 10 year old son, and was ready to crush it. found a good FINA OW approved suit, and at 1 am I got a text from my wife that our two twins just tested positive for Covid, shit.. My son I was traveling with and I wore masks in the car the whole way up, but 6 hours in the cab is tough to beat. We had to go into quarantine, so I had to bail on the race and drove us straight home this morning in case I were to get sick. Dont want to get stuck in a hotel in Livermore, that's for sure.

He tested negative 5 days ago, but it was the twins that got it at school and he is probably just now at the end of incubation. I just started feeling off in my stomach, so could be nothing, or everything. So they are locked down in the desert, while my son and I are locked down here at the ranch. Nit wits who run their school are just now finding out that masks and vaccines work, but too late and now several grades are closing down. My kids wore masks the entire time, but doesn't do much good when you are part of only 10%.

Oh well, something else negative to remember on 9/11, and looking at the time that won my AG and the guy that did it, well lets just say I missed a golden opportunity to finally become a national champ...)-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just (half hour ago) finished the Redondo Beach Swim The Avenues Mile (more than a mile). I placed 2nd in AG. Didn’t feel like I had it all going – moments of exhaustion and moments feeling strong. Lots of chop and 3-4 foot waves and, of course, they launched us when a set was coming in.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my SI joint is a bit out of whack so I swam 300m and got out because it was uncomfortable. Ran 6.5 mi easy on the treadmill and rode 13 mi on the stationary bike.

Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really sucks, man. Hope everyone stays healthy though.

Yesterday did about 3400 yards as part of some swimrun training, in a warm corner (~86F water) of Lake Travis between a city park and another set of fairly vertical trails along a feeder creek. Probably pissed off a few folks trying to fish from the bank of the park, but otherwise had the water and one section of trails all to myself. Of course I turned an ankle again while looking around enjoying the trail scenery next to the creek and not watching for the roots on the ground.

Today, 2800 yards mostly pulling (because ankle). 2x[ 800 with paddles + buoy, 4x50 buoy only], with some drill before and after.

Tapering the swim a bit this week for 5k OW nationals this Saturday. Hopefully this tropical storm drops some cooler water in the lakes before then.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!
Hope you all recover from this quickly and without complications. Amazing, as country, we can’t do these simple things to not only protect ourselves but each other. (That was a quick stand up on my soapbox. I’m back down now.)
I was thinking of racing up there. My daughter lives in Livermore, so seems like easy choice. Alas, I just didn’t.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
my SI joint is a bit out of whack so I swam 300m and got out because it was uncomfortable. Ran 6.5 mi easy on the treadmill and rode 13 mi on the stationary bike.

Damn. How was the SI feeling while running/biking?

Today I did 800m easy (15:51) + 8x25m on 2min (gradual build from 25sec to 16.5sec) + 50m hard (36.0sec) + 800m easy (15:09).

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6300m easy - my back is not entirely better but was very close. Nice to be in the water. 65 minute walk after
This is fast becoming a de-stress set for me

50 kick
9 x100 on 145
50 kick
50 kick
7 x 100 on 145
50 kick
50 kick
5 x 100 on 145
50 kick
50 kick
3 x 100 on 145
50 kick
50 kick
50 kick
100 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam 52 minutes in my local lake (across and back) as we’ve only got a few more weeks of comfortable no wet suit swimming. Went at dusk and the water was smooth as glass, no wind, no boats, no other swimmers.

Monty: tough break on USMS OWS. Hope you all get healthy soon. Given your high level of swim fitness, maybe try one of the USMS postal swims. Not as much fun as OWS, but still a shot at national champ before the next cohort of “youngsters” age up.
Quote Reply
Re: September Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the well wishes everyone, as expected my son whom I travelled with popped positive yesterday, but my test still negative. But for sure something is going on in my body, perhaps a classic battle between the virus and my vaccinated antibodies. I will continue to test every few days, but no real workouts gonna happen for awhile. Do not want to end up any sort of long hauler, that thread on here about how has covid affected you has scared me straight.

Did get in for 1200 a couple days ago and swam easy, mostly to take a good shower and get this sick stink off of me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, how are your kids feeling? I'm sorry you couldn't race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi run, 3500m easy swim

I just felt like swimming with very loose counting so I did a "1000", a 50 kick, a "900", a 50 kick, an "800", a 50 kick, then I goofed around a bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking Tiger, they are experiencing the usual mild side affects, like a cold. But we are still early and I'm on high alert for things to start going downhill. Virtually everyone who gets this starts out mild, most recover and get on, but the small group that have bad outcomes just progress down. Until they have to be hospitalized, like my father in law who goes in today for the Trump cocktail treatment...

Appreciate all the thoughts and prayers, but would also like everyone that hasn't already, do the right thing with vaccinations and masks. I know not a big issue with our little group here, but we all know many, many of our friends and family stuck in the black hole of misinformation. Dan was just able to talk one very stubborn worker of ours off the ledge, and he got his first shot. So not entirely a fruitless endeavor to preach the science to the unwashed....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6000 scm

5 x 200 on 3:30 w/u
5 x [100 "fast" + 50 kick] 1:27-1:25
5 x [200 fast + 50 kick] 2:50, 2:47, 2:46, 2:47, 2:47
5 x [300 fast + 50 kick] 4:19, 4:17, 4:17, 4:17, 4:19
5 x [200 easy + 50 kick]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I continue to work through Flipturn School, my FT PRs are gradually catching up with my OT PRs. (I know.....FT should be faster. As an SOS, this will take some time. The breathing is the biggest thing to figure out.)

Anyway, yesterday I did a 100m FT PR (1:18.0).

Today I did a 400m FT PR (6:37.5).

Today's swim was really not very hard. My biggest problem with 400m FT (apart from cardio issues) is FEAR. I have it in my head that 400m FT is a big scary monster. But at halfway today I thought "Dude, this is not hard, or scary."

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the breathing is definitely the harder thing to figure out! Glad it's catching up!

Quote Reply

Prev Next