Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
I'm not sure wetsuits actually have to be made out of buoyant material. Before I bought a tri wettie, I had a surfing wetsuit which was warn but made abso no diff in speed. I tested it out in the pool by swimming 2 x 500 yd at mod effort with 2 min rest in between, one in the surf wettie and one in just my Speedo; both 500s were within a second of each other. In contrast, when I got a tri wettie, hell, I could tell immediately, just from pushing off the wall, that I was riding higher in the water, kind of like a super pull buoy. I've often wondered if Dan had to bribe the USAT, or actually Tri Fed as it was then, to allow his new neoprene wettie. :)

Surfing wetsuits are buoyant.

Well, perhaps my surfing wettie was ever so slightly buoyant, but if so, its buoyancy was essentially negligible compared to the triathlon wettie.

If it was warm and made of neoprene, it was buoyant. That's just how they work...

My old surfing wettie was not made out of neoprene. I can't recall what it was made out of but it was not the black shiny neoprene. Jason, I don't know what I can do to make you believe me but NON-BUOYANT WETSUITS DO EXIST. I KNOW B/C I WASTED MY MONEY ON BUYING ONE BY MISTAKE BEFORE I FOUND A REAL TRI WETTIE. So, all I'm saying is that, if USAT wanted to, they could require wetsuits to be non-buoyant. They could test them fairly easily: just throw the suit in the pool and see if floats or sinks. Of course, after 35 yrs of floaty wetsuits, this will never happen.

Iā€™m wondering when people started using wetsuits in triathlons
I donā€™t recall anyone at Lake Placid wearing one in ā€˜84. I ended up with hypothermia. Speedos only going down hill in something like 55 degree weather I winder why lol
Last thing I remembered, before waking up in the back of the car 3 hours towards Rochester, was getting off the bike in T2.

I think around 1986-ish. I recall seeing them at Hilton Head in 1987, where the water was just barely wetsuit legal. Sounds like you got hypothermic on the bike though, but I'm sure being freezing coming OOTW was part of it. Sheet, I would've taken time to put on tights and long-sleeved shirt in T1. I abso HATE being cold on the bike. :)

I have never seen a surf ā€œwettieā€ that did not have neoprene. Rash guards yes, ā€œwettiesā€ no. Just because it is not black or shiny, does not mean it is not neoprene. Most wetsuits have fabric on both sides, to protect against abrasion of the rubber on the board- so you rarely see the actual neoprene. Also, swim wetsuits are design for optimum flotation of a swimmer, surf suits are temp only- so a win wetsuit would almost always get you higher in the water than a surf suit. Hope this helps.

It was not just a "rash guard". All I can say is that the surf wettie I had was not buoyant at all. As I said 4 or 5 posts ago, I tested it vs just my Speedo in a 2 x 500 on 2 min rest, and same time within 1 sec. BUT the biggest thing is that, when I bought a Quintana Roo wettie, OH MY DOG, I could INSTANTLY FEEL that I was MUCH more buoyant. There was abso no comparison betw the two. Soooo, I still say tri wetsuits could be made non-buoyant.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It was not just a "rash guard". All I can say is that the surf wettie I had was not buoyant at all. As I said 4 or 5 posts ago, I tested it vs just my Speedo in a 2 x 500 on 2 min rest, and same time within 1 sec. BUT the biggest thing is that, when I bought a Quintana Roo wettie, OH MY DOG, I could INSTANTLY FEEL that I was MUCH more buoyant. There was abso no comparison betw the two. Soooo, I still say tri wetsuits could be made non-buoyant.

If you threw the wetsuit in the water all by itself, did it float? Yes? Then it was buoyant..

Just because you did a "test" means nothing about whether it was buoyant or not. Just because the other one was more buoyant doesn't mean the surf wetsuit wasn't buoyant at all.

I can't think of any insulating materials that you can wear that wouldn't float, at least until they become waterlogged. And then they cease to be good insulators.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a huge part of it. I can go 18:00 for a 1500m swim in the pool and be totally slacking it... at masters meets I'm about a minute faster. The trick is not training a bunch of 1500s at slacker pace but tons of shorter intervals at or above race pace.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Quote:
It was not just a "rash guard". All I can say is that the surf wettie I had was not buoyant at all. As I said 4 or 5 posts ago, I tested it vs just my Speedo in a 2 x 500 on 2 min rest, and same time within 1 sec. BUT the biggest thing is that, when I bought a Quintana Roo (QR) wettie, OH MY DOG, I could INSTANTLY FEEL that I was MUCH more buoyant. There was abso no comparison betw the two. Soooo, I still say tri wetsuits could be made non-buoyant.

If you threw the wetsuit in the water all by itself, did it float? Yes? Then it was buoyant..

Just because you did a "test" means nothing about whether it was buoyant or not. Just because the other one was more buoyant doesn't mean the surf wetsuit wasn't buoyant at all.

I can't think of any insulating materials that you can wear that wouldn't float, at least until they become waterlogged. And then they cease to be good insulators.

It might have been very, very slightly buoyant but compared to the QR it was not significant.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
I'm not sure wetsuits actually have to be made out of buoyant material. Before I bought a tri wettie, I had a surfing wetsuit which was warn but made abso no diff in speed. I tested it out in the pool by swimming 2 x 500 yd at mod effort with 2 min rest in between, one in the surf wettie and one in just my Speedo; both 500s were within a second of each other. In contrast, when I got a tri wettie, hell, I could tell immediately, just from pushing off the wall, that I was riding higher in the water, kind of like a super pull buoy. I've often wondered if Dan had to bribe the USAT, or actually Tri Fed as it was then, to allow his new neoprene wettie. :)

Well, perhaps my surfing wettie was ever so slightly buoyant, but if so, its buoyancy was essentially negligible compared to the triathlon wettie.

If it was warm and made of neoprene, it was buoyant. That's just how they work...

My old surfing wettie was not made out of neoprene. I can't recall what it was made out of but it was not the black shiny neoprene. Jason, I don't know what I can do to make you believe me but NON-BUOYANT WETSUITS DO EXIST. I KNOW B/C I WASTED MY MONEY ON BUYING ONE BY MISTAKE BEFORE I FOUND A REAL TRI WETTIE. So, all I'm saying is that, if USAT wanted to, they could require wetsuits to be non-buoyant. They could test them fairly easily: just throw the suit in the pool and see if floats or sinks. Of course, after 35 yrs of floaty wetsuits, this will never happen.

I donā€™t recall anyone at Lake Placid wearing one in ā€˜84. I ended up with hypothermia. Speedos only going down hill in something like 55 degree weather I winder why lol
Last thing I remembered, before waking up in the back of the car 3 hours towards Rochester, was getting off the bike in T2.

I think around 1986-ish. I recall seeing them at Hilton Head in 1987, where the water was just barely wetsuit legal. Sounds like you got hypothermic on the bike though, but I'm sure being freezing coming OOTW was part of it. Sheet, I would've taken time to put on tights and long-sleeved shirt in T1. I abso HATE being cold on the bike. :)

if only there was a way to know the answers to questions like this ;-(

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I didn't want to bother you Dan b/c I know you're busy with important tri-business stuff, but if you have the time, please tell us a brief history of the tri wetsuit. I'm espec interested in whether there was any discussion with Tri Fed about wetsuits being worn mainly to provide buoyancy, which technically I think would be in violation of the rules??? If you've read my other posts in this thread, you know that I bought a negligibly buoyant surfing wetsuit before I discovered your QR wetsuit, which was super buoyant compared to the surfing wettie. Thus I think it is possible to make a relatively non-buoyant wetsuit???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I think you are right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I didn't want to bother you Dan b/c I know you're busy with important tri-business stuff, but if you have the time, please tell us a brief history of the tri wetsuit. I'm espec interested in whether there was any discussion with Tri Fed about wetsuits being worn mainly to provide buoyancy, which technically I think would be in violation of the rules??? If you've read my other posts in this thread, you know that I bought a negligibly buoyant surfing wetsuit before I discovered your QR wetsuit, which was super buoyant compared to the surfing wettie. Thus I think it is possible to make a relatively non-buoyant wetsuit???

i would imagine i wrote all this somewhere on slowtwitch (on the front page), but in short strokes, prior to the beginning of the 1987 northern hemisphere season, nobody wore wetsuits unless the swim was quite cold. the founder of aquaman wetsuits (in france) disputes this. but, we had a lot of europeans coming to socal to train and race, and none of them brought a wetsuit. yes, there were wetsuits marketed to triathletes, bodyglove had ads in triathlete mag as far back as 1984, but they were pretty much just surf wetsuits, and only marketed for warmth, and nobody wore them in races.

at bass lake, in 1986, scott tinley and gary peterson wore their surf wetsuits. the race was in september then, and we were standing in snow waiting for the gun to go off. i thought to myself, well, tinley is going to be comfortable in the swim, let's see whether he feels it was worth it later, after he gets smoked. and he didn't get smoked. he swam fine.

that's what gave me the idea that a wetsuit, optimized for swimming, might actually be a worthwhile thing to own. very long story short, there was about a 6 month interval between that bass lake race and the first wetsuits i had available for sale. my investigation into this wasn't at all, in the least, for commercial purposes. i just was curious. this didn't become a commercial enterprise until i swam my first 100 yards in my first wetsuit designed for surface swimming. i honestly didn't know what that would yield. my hope was simply that it wouldn't be slower than swimming without a wetsuit. i had to swim a second 100 because i literally thought i'd made a mistake in timing while swimming my first 100, because i swam that first 100 about 7 seconds faster than i should've. only after that first pool test did it occur to me that there's a business opportunity here.

i could not convince any pro, beyond an initial 4 or 5 who were well known to me, that the wetsuit was worth racing in. the only pros who had an open mind were monty, andrew macnaughton and brad kearns. back in 87, the latter 2 were arguably, over the first half of the season, the world's fastest, and part of that i'm sure is they had the 2 newest pieces of tech before anyone else did: the scott bar and the QR wetsuit. all the other pros - and i mean all of them - were certain they'd swim slower in the wetsuit than out of it. i didn't sweat it. for each of them, that notion lasted exactly 1 race.

there were 2 local pros, tom gallagher and mike fillipow, who were also early converts, simply because i need to photograph someone in my wetsuits and those 2 graciously agreed. i still have those photos; they're on slowtwitch.

it never occurred to me to ask TriFed (it wasn't called USA Triathlon back then) about legality. there was no way they'd make the wetsuit illegal. what i did do was place on myself the guardrail of 5mm max rubber thickness. i felt that if i kept the wetsuit to a reasonable thickness, and didn't get greedy, that the federation would give me no problem.

i have tried to get a photo for years, from the bakersfield californian, from 1987, in may, the bakersfield triathlon, a photo taken from the water, looking back at the start, right as the gun went off, the pro field first, and behind them the first age group wave. the entire pro field is in wetsuits, pretty much all of those wetsuits mine, and just behind in the AG wave none of them in wetsuits, except 1 brazilian aspiring pro who i happened to know. that pic represented, to me, and still does now, the difference between those who actually know stuff, who need to know stuff, for whom science, technology, engineering, facts, are imperatives, versus those who're oblivious, or who unwittingly suffer from their ignorance or obstinacy.

most of those pros in that image did not want to wear a wetsuit; but every one of them was faced with a reckoning with what is, rather than what ought to be. it's a parable for decisions we're all faced with in life; and the bifurcation between our behaviors when the shit gets brown versus our behaviors when we have (or think we have) the luxury of acting on caprice and whimsy. my editorializing is beyond the scope of your question. but you got it anyway ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
This is a huge part of it. I can go 18:00 for a 1500m swim in the pool and be totally slacking it... at masters meets I'm about a minute faster. The trick is not training a bunch of 1500s at slacker pace but tons of shorter intervals at or above race pace.

Opposite for me... Last year long slacker sets. This year race pace or faster shorter sets... I ended up going 2 min slower at my "A" race (other races slow too)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

i would imagine i wrote all this somewhere on slowtwitch (on the front page), but in short strokes, prior to the beginning of the 1987 northern hemisphere season, nobody wore wetsuits unless the swim was quite cold. the founder of aquaman wetsuits (in france) disputes this. but, we had a lot of europeans coming to socal to train and race, and none of them brought a wetsuit. yes, there were wetsuits marketed to triathletes, bodyglove had ads in triathlete mag as far back as 1984, but they were pretty much just surf wetsuits, and only marketed for warmth, and nobody wore them in races.

at bass lake, in 1986, scott tinley and gary peterson wore their surf wetsuits. the race was in september then, and we were standing in snow waiting for the gun to go off. i thought to myself, well, tinley is going to be comfortable in the swim, let's see whether he feels it was worth it later, after he gets smoked. and he didn't get smoked. he swam fine.

that's what gave me the idea that a wetsuit, optimized for swimming, might actually be a worthwhile thing to own. very long story short, there was about a 6 month interval between that bass lake race and the first wetsuits i had available for sale. my investigation into this wasn't at all, in the least, for commercial purposes. i just was curious. this didn't become a commercial enterprise until i swam my first 100 yards in my first wetsuit designed for surface swimming. i honestly didn't know what that would yield. my hope was simply that it wouldn't be slower than swimming without a wetsuit. i had to swim a second 100 because i literally thought i'd made a mistake in timing while swimming my first 100, because i swam that first 100 about 7 seconds faster than i should've. only after that first pool test did it occur to me that there's a business opportunity here.

i could not convince any pro, beyond an initial 4 or 5 who were well known to me, that the wetsuit was worth racing in. the only pros who had an open mind were monty, andrew macnaughton and brad kearns. back in 87, the latter 2 were arguably, over the first half of the season, the world's fastest, and part of that i'm sure is they had the 2 newest pieces of tech before anyone else did: the scott bar and the QR wetsuit. all the other pros - and i mean all of them - were certain they'd swim slower in the wetsuit than out of it. i didn't sweat it. for each of them, that notion lasted exactly 1 race.

there were 2 local pros, tom gallagher and mike fillipow, who were also early converts, simply because i need to photograph someone in my wetsuits and those 2 graciously agreed. i still have those photos; they're on slowtwitch.

it never occurred to me to ask TriFed (it wasn't called USA Triathlon back then) about legality. there was no way they'd make the wetsuit illegal. what i did do was place on myself the guardrail of 5mm max rubber thickness. i felt that if i kept the wetsuit to a reasonable thickness, and didn't get greedy, that the federation would give me no problem.

i have tried to get a photo for years, from the bakersfield californian, from 1987, in may, the bakersfield triathlon, a photo taken from the water, looking back at the start, right as the gun went off, the pro field first, and behind them the first age group wave. the entire pro field is in wetsuits, pretty much all of those wetsuits mine, and just behind in the AG wave none of them in wetsuits, except 1 brazilian aspiring pro who i happened to know. that pic represented, to me, and still does now, the difference between those who actually know stuff, who need to know stuff, for whom science, technology, engineering, facts, are imperatives, versus those who're oblivious, or who unwittingly suffer from their ignorance or obstinacy.

most of those pros in that image did not want to wear a wetsuit; but every one of them was faced with a reckoning with what is, rather than what ought to be. it's a parable for decisions we're all faced with in life; and the bifurcation between our behaviors when the shit gets brown versus our behaviors when we have (or think we have) the luxury of acting on caprice and whimsy. my editorializing is beyond the scope of your question. but you got it anyway ;-)

Well, the 1987 Bakersfield AGers simply did not know about wetsuits yet, that's all. Obv they all learned in the next few years. Thanks very much for the history!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Well, the 1987 Bakersfield AGers simply did not know about wetsuits yet, that's all. Obv they all learned in the next few years. Thanks very much for the history!!!

yes, you're right. i'm not blaming AGers for a decision they didn't know they needed to make (altho bako was probably the 4th or 5th race on the socal calendar that featured wetsuits). i guess i was more thinking of the response of the pros. not so many of them wanted to wear wetsuits (all of those from a swim background would have preferred wetsuits to be illegal). but when faced with actual facts, that could not be denied, that were not open to interpretation, that overcame the luxury of opinions, there is only one rational response, and that photo was visual statement of that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think around 1986-ish. I recall seeing them at Hilton Head in 1987, where the water was just barely wetsuit legal. //

Actually everything was legal back then, there was not upper temp where they were not allowed. And I recall that race, water was like 84 degrees. Half the pros ditched the wetsuits, while others of us wore our full QR suits. That was the last time any pro ditched their suits, all the money spots came from the wetsuit group that was a couple minutes up the road before any of the others got into T1.

And yes, a lot of us got overheated, and it was very uncomfortable. Some people it affected later in the race too. But bottom line was, that enough did not suffer to the point of losing the time gained in the swim..I believe it was shortly after that swim, that a new rule was put in place for water temps and wetsuits...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it sounds like the buoyancy was a feature, and not a bug, in convincing people to adopt wetsuit use (and convincing you to go into commercial production). It really wasn't about warmth, it was about speed. Is that fair?

That really has to piss off the swimming purists.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
So it sounds like the buoyancy was a feature, and not a bug, in convincing people to adopt wetsuit use (and convincing you to go into commercial production). It really wasn't about warmth, it was about speed. Is that fair?

That really has to piss off the swimming purists.

It sure does...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But notably, it wasn't about giving people that can't swim very well a crutch to get through the swim. It was adopted primarily by pros seeking a few minutes advantage into T1.

But didn't they know that swimming in a wetsuit would wreck their form and allow them to adopt all kinds of bad positional habits? Weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
But notably, it wasn't about giving people that can't swim very well a crutch to get through the swim. It was adopted primarily by pros seeking a few minutes advantage into T1.

But didn't they know that swimming in a wetsuit would wreck their form and allow them to adopt all kinds of bad positional habits? Weird.

Doesnā€™t make me dislike wetsuits any less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was adopted primarily by pros seeking a few minutes advantage into T1.

But didn't they know that swimming in a wetsuit would wreck their form and allow them to adopt all kinds of bad positional habits? Weird. //

No, it actually was for cold water swims. A lot of us were wearing surfing wetsuits in races, but also believing they were slower. We had a lot more cold water swims back in the day too, not the made for prime time swims most races go after now. I remember doing some low 50's swims with no wetsuit at all, it was rough, but I liked what it did to others I was racing. Not until Dan's wetsuits did we figure out that they also could be fast, and once we did, wore them every chance we got.

As for the stroke and position comments, I have no idea what you are talking about. the wetsuit puts one in the position of a guy swimming an 18 second 50 yard race, without any effort at all. And once that position is achieved, then good stroke mechanics usually follow. It shows one how to swim with good position and follow with mechanics, since you are not spending any effort to hold position in the first place..

And pretty much all the pro fields back then had some swimming background, so were not learning how to swim in their wetsuits, but adopting the new stroke and dynamic that it afforded..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
So it sounds like the buoyancy was a feature, and not a bug, in convincing people to adopt wetsuit use (and convincing you to go into commercial production). It really wasn't about warmth, it was about speed. Is that fair? That really has to piss off the swimming purists.

you bet buoyancy was a feature or, to put it another way, speed was a feature and whether it was buoyancy or hydrodynamics was a detail. i got the open water swim association's lifetime achievement award one year. half the attendees clapped. the other half scowled.

wetsuits are like viagra, or any other legal performance enhancer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Viagra is an apt analogy. They help the underperformers way more than the skilled performers...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sluglas wrote:
So it sounds like the buoyancy was a feature, and not a bug, in convincing people to adopt wetsuit use (and convincing you to go into commercial production). It really wasn't about warmth, it was about speed. Is that fair? That really has to piss off the swimming purists.

you bet buoyancy was a feature or, to put it another way, speed was a feature and whether it was buoyancy or hydrodynamics was a detail. i got the open water swim association's lifetime achievement award one year. half the attendees clapped. the other half scowled.

Actually, given the OW purists' visceral hatred of any swim gear beyond Speedo, cap, and goggles, I am really shocked that they gave you that award. I mean, to this day the Channel Swimming Assoc will not recognize an English Channel swim if done in a wettie, which is why I have never really thought of trying it. I'd have to gain 40-50 lb to survive 10 hrs or more of 55-ish water. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn how to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Is there a tri short available that gives some added buoyancy thatā€™s also legal for non-wetsuit swims? Looks like the temps are going to make my upcoming races no wetsuit, just wondering.

A quick skim suggests (although I may have missed it) that no one have disabused you of the point about over heating.
You have it all wrong.

All swims are non wetsuit, unless it is too cold, in which case wetsuits are allowed for warmth.

NOT

All swims are wetsuit, unless it is too warm to prevent over heating.

Fixed your problem for you :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on a buoyant short for non-wetsuit swims [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
Learn how to swim.

Like I mentioned previously, the snark from some of you is amazing. I actually thought most swimmers were decent individuals willing to help those of us from non-swimming backgrounds learn to swim better. Iā€™m still going to hold on to that ideal. I did not realize what a sore point this issue was when I started this thread. I also didnā€™t realize that buoyancy was such a taboo to swimmers. As I always do with triathlon related questions, I asked for suggestions thinking someone would know. My intention was not to find a way to cheat, and not to make an excuse for not working on my sinking hips. I appreciate the information provided as I was unaware of the rules regarding the use of these items in non-wetsuit legal swims.

...and I would never tell someone looking to improve their running to just ā€˜learn how to runā€™.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:
Learn how to swim.

Like I mentioned previously, the snark from some of you is amazing. I actually thought most swimmers were decent individuals willing to help those of us from non-swimming backgrounds learn to swim better. Iā€™m still going to hold on to that ideal. I did not realize what a sore point this issue was when I started this thread. I also didnā€™t realize that buoyancy was such a taboo to swimmers. As I always do with triathlon related questions, I asked for suggestions thinking someone would know. My intention was not to find a way to cheat, and not to make an excuse for not working on my sinking hips. I appreciate the information provided as I was unaware of the rules regarding the use of these items in non-wetsuit legal swims.

...and I would never tell someone looking to improve their running to just ā€˜learn how to runā€™.

If you had a thicker skin, then you'd float better and wouldn't be looking for buoyancy aids :-D

(the :-D indicates that I was making a joke. Probably not a good one though, most of my jokes are terrible).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next