Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Update: IM Florida [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempe 70.3 and IMAZ are a GO. If anyone is curious to see how Tempe 70.3 is going to manage a race in these times, I would recommend checking out their race schedule and Athlete Guide on the website which goes into great detail how they plan on conducting the races with mitigation efforts in place.

https://www.ironman.com/im703-arizona-athletes

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
..... I personally don't see the need to wear a mask......

Seriously?

Way to isolate a piece of what I said. I'm wearing one regardless of what I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:

Seriously?

Way to isolate a piece of what I said. I'm wearing one regardless of what I think.

Regardless of whether or not you are wearing a mask, I'm curious as to why you "personally don't see the need to wear a mask"

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:

Seriously?

Regardless of whether or not you are wearing a mask, I'm curious as to why you "personally don't see the need to wear a mask"

Enjoy your evening
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New cases and deaths are above where they were last time he reopened the state.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
New cases and deaths are above where they were last time he reopened the state.

They are?

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time meaning June.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Last time meaning June.

So what? Since end of August these metrics are looking very good. You has a spike today but there are vagaries in the reporting, only 810 new cases yesterday. And the death rate has fallen since end of August by a factor of over 10.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
I would like to see races start to happen.

If you feel safe racing go race!

The problem is, I wouldn't feel safe if you decided to race and lived near me....

Dont come to the race then? Do you feel safe if your neighbors goes to work? My neighboor's are ER docs I am a dentist should our other neighbors feel safe living near us? I guess depending on how you think about that determines how you feel about a race..... So would you feel less safe if I raced and you live near me? If you dont feel safe then diligently maintain safe social distances wear a mask (which you should do anyways). I would imagine races will give a slight boost to local economy as well; never a bad thing.

Once again if you dont feel safe dont race. But if we ever want to start racing again we need to figure out how to do it smart..... I know there where races run this past weekend not sure how they went but would be interested to know.

My personal thoughts: I think we have to start figuring out how to live in the new normal and part of the included racing.

(Just FYI had a friend die of Covid related symptoms 2 months ago so this virus has touched me very personally and I do take it quite seriously)

Sorry is derail the Florida thread. Once again I hope to see this race happen for all those ready to race.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree! Spot on....RN here and I deal with this stuff everyday.

Let them race
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I think it's going to start happening. I can see IMFL/GC 70.3 taking place, and shortly thereafter Challenge Daytona will take place. I think at this point, the people who have been "in the middle" and who have taken precautions since March are beginning to, for better or for worse, loosen up. N=1, but I surely won't go to a packed bar anytime soon, but I would certainly consider racing a socially distance M-dot race...

I will be curious to see the total numbers at the Great Floridian (4 different race distances) on 24 Oct. It could be the first triathlon event in the state with ~500 or so.

Meanwhile, on 10 Sep 2020, PCB approved all the road closures for Ironman Florida. See resolution 20-172 in the attached. http://www.pcbgov.com/...-council/resolutions
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
cloy wrote:
I think it's going to start happening. I can see IMFL/GC 70.3 taking place, and shortly thereafter Challenge Daytona will take place. I think at this point, the people who have been "in the middle" and who have taken precautions since March are beginning to, for better or for worse, loosen up. N=1, but I surely won't go to a packed bar anytime soon, but I would certainly consider racing a socially distance M-dot race...

I will be curious to see the total numbers at the Great Floridian (4 different race distances) on 24 Oct. It could be the first triathlon event in the state with ~500 or so.

Meanwhile, on 10 Sep 2020, PCB approved all the road closures for Ironman Florida. See resolution 20-172 in the attached. http://www.pcbgov.com/...-council/resolutions

The Great Floridian has had a COVID-sized crowd ever since I remember, even far before COVID. haha

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GFT has been slowly dying for years, but I expect they will get much bigger numbers this year. It's the 30th anniversary, it is the Ultra National Championship, and the Ironman competition, and even small race competition has been decimated due to COVID. Depending on their permit cap, this might be a banner year for Fred Sommers.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
"Smart" and "Florida" are not two words that often collide in sentences these days.

The biggest difference is the participation in an optional activity versus having to attend a place of employment. Given how Florida has been gaming their stats since early summer, I don't know how anyone can make an informed risk evaluation associated with his/her participation. Anecdotal reports are not data, either.

I get that people are tired of pandemic restrictions and that they want to race; I do, too. What I don't get is how waiting six - twelve more months for an optional activity should be that big of a deal for the participants, when there is so much upside for the greater good. Just check how South Dakota is doing these days, where social responsibility hasn't made it into the regional vernacular.

I said my piece. No need to convince me otherwise, nor will I attempt to promote the value of a broad social contract in this space any longer. Race, try to not to infect someone who wasn't at the venue, and go for it.

Agree .... slightly disagree.... agree ..... We are good :-)

(I have stayed out of these conversions on FB / IG / Twitter)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
chriselam wrote:
I think we can do some triathlons without the infecting the elderly. Maybe the people that are at risk should skip the triathlon and the people that aren’t at risk can do it? Maybe the people that are at risk should quarantine and everyone else should go about their day?

Valid.

Hope to see this race happen this year.

What’s valid about it? It’s an extremely selfish proposition.

How about we act towards the greater good. Proposing the vulnerable lock themselves up so we can participate in a non-essential hobby is ridiculous. Think about what he said and you agreed with for a moment. 🙄
I keep going back to the story in Maine where 3 died from Covid and they did not attend the wedding where Covid was spread. Even the at risk who stay away are at risk from others.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s actually seven people that died due to the wedding. Not a single one of the seven was at the wedding.

https://www.cbsnews.com/...linked-7-deaths/#app

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 30, 20 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the PTO is now offering a Pro purse at the GFT. I know at least one Kona Pro that is racing it now.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thunder beach is back on:
https://thunderbeachproductions.com/

Ironman Florida website has taken down the old course maps. I assume they are planning on posting new maps reflecting the changes in the start/finish/transition at Pier Park.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [CJHess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJHess wrote:

Ironman Florida website has taken down the old course maps. I assume they are planning on posting new maps reflecting the changes in the start/finish/transition at Pier Park.

Perfect.......tens of thousands of people partying exactly 2 or 3 weeks before IMFL. Just what we needed........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJHess wrote:

Interesting. I had checked the council calendar earlier today and it wasn't there but it (Thunder beach) is now. Regardless, Ironman is on the City Council Calendar. Road closures were approved back on 10 Sep. It sure looks favorable. I will reiterate what I said months ago; if Ironman gets the permit, this race is a go.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 6, 20 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the permit approval for Ironman Florida.

https://www.wjhg.com/...-ironman-triathlons/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New course maps have been posted

https://www.ironman.com/im-florida-course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the 70.3 starts at 11 am.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:

Seriously?

Probably just to piss you off
Quote Reply

Prev Next