Re: Update: IM Florida [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The local mask mandate in PCB ended Sept 8th
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
If the event is held, there will be a minimum 20% COVID No Show rate off the participant list, but I don't know if IM will present the lower numbers to the council. Note also that PCB specifically did not mention IMFL when they listed other cancellations along with the Thunder Beach rally.

"The city stated that other major events, such as the Seabreeze Jazz Festival, Pepsi Gulf Coast Jam, UNwineD, Sand Jam, the Summer Concert Series, Real. Fun. Fourth., Pirates of the High Seas Fest, Beach Home for the Holidays and the New Year’s Eve Beach Ball Drop have been voluntarily postponed or been made virtual to reduce the spread of COVID‐19 in our community, and protect our vulnerable population. "

We'll have to see what they do, but I don't suspect they'll have as hard a time getting volunteers as some think. I was in Panama City this past weekend and wearing masks in public places seemed to be more of a suggested guideline with very low compliance at the places I went to. That is quite a difference from Tampa where compliance in restaurants and even gas stations is relatively good.

I was also in PCB/30a area last week and I’d say less than 30% of folks wear masks down there. We tried to eat at a restaurant we like (allegedly at 50% capacity) and we walked right back to the car cuz that place was quite crowded. I bet Ironman would have zero issues getting volunteers. Many people in many places have moved on from covid for better or worse.

Yep, that's my take. I can't predict what PCB will do, but I've consistently stated in several threads on IM Florida that if Ironman gets the permit, this race will happen. As we get closer, I think the odds are improving. Based on the timing of the Thunder Beach cancellation, if PCB is going to cancel Ironman they will probably do it NLT 4 weeks before. We should know soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [CJHess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJHess wrote:
Having one in the first place set them apart from the area. I don't believe the rest of Bay County ever made them mandatory.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
CJHess wrote:
Having one in the first place set them apart from the area. I don't believe the rest of Bay County ever made them mandatory.

Many businesses had their own “mandate”. I’m sorry, if a business ask “please wear a mask in our establishment” and you refuse, you’re a jackass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
CJHess wrote:

Many businesses had their own “mandate”. I’m sorry, if a business ask “please wear a mask in our establishment” and you refuse, you’re a jackass.

I did not see a single business in Panama City with a posted mask requirement. My wife and daughter did go shopping at Pier Park (PCB) and said there were some notices. I totally agree that people should respect the requirements of private business.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
CJHess wrote:

I did not see a single business in Panama City with a posted mask requirement. My wife and daughter did go shopping at Pier Park (PCB) and said there were some notices. I totally agree that people should respect the requirements of private business.

Weird. Almost every place I went had a “please wear a mask” sign. Like Publix, and people still refused. Jackasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this means anything about likelihood of the race happening, but I got the following email from Active recently:

We can't wait to see you at 2020 IRONMAN Florida! We are currently monitoring border and travel restrictions and understand that impacted athletes may have challenges in being able to travel and compete at 2020 IRONMAN Florida. We will continue to monitor border and travel restrictions and if the restrictions are still in place 30 days prior to race day, affected athletes will be offered a Free Deferral to next year’s event.

If you would like to remain registered for 2020 IRONMAN Florida, you are all set and no action is required at this time!

If you would like to select to defer to 2021 IRONMAN Florida now, please use the below link to select a deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Florida. Your entry for 2020 IRONMAN Florida will be cancelled and you will receive a link to register for 2021 IRONMAN Florida when registration opens. If you have reached out in the last 24-48 hours requesting a deferral, please use the below link to complete the process. Please complete all steps until you receive the confirmation page. Any links that are not fully completed will not be processed

Thank you for choosing to race with us. We wish you the very best in health and wellness, The IRONMAN team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like they are trying to reduce the size of the field and get a better idea of how many people want/will race to see if they have the means (staff, volunteers, transition space, etc) to put on a race with xxx of participants.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Not sure if this means anything about likelihood of the race happening, but I got the following email from Active recently:

We can't wait to see you at 2020 IRONMAN Florida! We are currently monitoring border and travel restrictions and understand that impacted athletes may have challenges in being able to travel and compete at 2020 IRONMAN Florida. We will continue to monitor border and travel restrictions and if the restrictions are still in place 30 days prior to race day, affected athletes will be offered a Free Deferral to next year’s event.

If you would like to remain registered for 2020 IRONMAN Florida, you are all set and no action is required at this time!

If you would like to select to defer to 2021 IRONMAN Florida now, please use the below link to select a deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Florida. Your entry for 2020 IRONMAN Florida will be cancelled and you will receive a link to register for 2021 IRONMAN Florida when registration opens. If you have reached out in the last 24-48 hours requesting a deferral, please use the below link to complete the process. Please complete all steps until you receive the confirmation page. Any links that are not fully completed will not be processed

Thank you for choosing to race with us. We wish you the very best in health and wellness, The IRONMAN team

I think this might be because some people may have travel quarantines that make it challenging when they go home. For example I think if you are coming from Canada or someplace you might end up with an isolation period when you get home and people might not want to go through that this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got the same message. I went ahead and deferred to 2021, since it seems probable to me that the race will actually happen and travel logistics to and from Hawaii are not something I'm up for at this point. We still have the mandatory 14-day quarantine when you return to the island; theoretically starting Oct 15 you can get out of that with a negative Covid test within 72 hours before your arrival, but it doesn't sound like the state and its vendors really have everything worked out on that front.

It's strange to read about places with no mask requirement. Not that it has prevented a recent spike in cases on the Big Island, particularly on the Hilo side.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the Gov'r just opened the flood gates... restaurants and bars can return to 100% capacity as long as "social distancing" is observed...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Apparently the Gov'r just opened the flood gates... restaurants and bars can return to 100% capacity as long as "social distancing" is observed...

Enhanced reopening policies are part of the reason why there might not be an IMFL. With no restrictions on bars and restaurants mixed with college/school COVID issues we are going to see a spike in Florida. It's inevitable and the trend will be fairly obvious just in time for permit decisions.

DeSantis is also about to crackdown on colleges and universities for their draconian (his words) COVID policies regarding student conduct and activity. I don't necessarily agree with the the way colleges are handling the situation by blaming the students for everything when the colleges themselves were ill-prepared and ill-equipped to deal with college kids acting like, well, college kids. Flip side of the coin you can't have the Governor giving what amounts to a free pass to college kids basically empowering the kids to tell their school admins to "fuck off" and we will party whenever, however, and whatever way we want.

This isn't meant to be political as I get the strange balancing act that someone like DeSantis is dealing with regarding economic versus public health but a tilt in one direction negatively affects the other. Opening up bars and allowing students to have a free-for-all is going to have consequences.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The experts said Florida would have a huge spike after Labor Day. We didn't. What does he wait for? Businesses are closing everywhere. I'm good for testing the waters again. If it turns to shit, pull back a bit wait a few more months. We are better prepared now to treat people as well.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two weeks isolation upon returning to Canada now and for foreseeable future

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at Florida's actual case data, it shows a somewhat different picture. Yes, death rates have stayed relatively constant for a prolonged period however daily new cases have certainly been trending in the right direction as well as hostpilizations, which looks very positive. Looking at these graphs I'm not seeing the kind of calamity being discussed elsewhere and can see why DeSantis made this decision.

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/florida

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I assume you’ve looked at the scientific data and are proposing sending all kids back to school full time since the death rate of INFECTED 0-19 is .00003? Or are you saying Desantis is right since the death rate for INFECTED 20-49 is .0002, and surely lower with extremely in shape triathletes? Just wondering.

https://www.cdc.gov/...nning-scenarios.html

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s drink a beer and just hope for a race
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:
Let’s drink a beer and just hope for a race

This is the best post on slowtwitch.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
If you look at Florida's actual case data, it shows a somewhat different picture. Yes, death rates have stayed relatively constant for a prolonged period however daily new cases have certainly been trending in the right direction as well as hostpilizations, which looks very positive. Looking at these graphs I'm not seeing the kind of calamity being discussed elsewhere and can see why DeSantis made this decision.

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/florida

Are you really intuiting what Gov. DeSantis’s decision making process is?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it concerning that triathletes think "hey I am healthy it won't kill me if I get it"

you may be correct, But what about the 200,000 elderly and immune compromised that it has killed? most likely spread to them through asymptomatic people.

Do we as Americans not care about those people anymore? Is our race season more important?

Really, Just a question.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were two USAT sanctioned Triathlons over the last 4 weeks. There were 50, 60, 70, and even an 80 year old competing. The first one was the busiest I've ever seen that race. Too answer your question, Yes, all ages are ready to enjoy their hobby, be it Golf, Softball, Football, or Triathlon.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think America has mostly decided that it is okay. That’s my sense anyways. Sad but living in Ohio and taking care of these people I see what could have been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly yes that seems to be many people’s thoughts. And not many think of the whole what the long term impact might be if I get it but don’t die. But mostly people are willing to sacrifice the old and compromised so they can race a damn triathlon or not wear a mask or go to a college football game or eat at a restaurant. But then again, look at the “president”.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next