Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
Carlin had it right many years ago: fence off a big area, call it a new state, and send all of those who don't care for a broader social contract to live there and let them do as they please. This should be easy, right, as DeSantis is of the party that likes building lots and lots of walls. And, best of all, this would be a ratings winner for Fox.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This belongs in the lavender room.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lavender room for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we can do some triathlons without the infecting the elderly. Maybe the people that are at risk should skip the triathlon and the people that aren’t at risk can do it? Maybe the people that are at risk should quarantine and everyone else should go about their day?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I think we can do some triathlons without the infecting the elderly. Maybe the people that are at risk should skip the triathlon and the people that aren’t at risk can do it? Maybe the people that are at risk should quarantine and everyone else should go about their day?

Valid.

Hope to see this race happen this year.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
chriselam wrote:

Valid.

What’s valid about it? It’s an extremely selfish proposition.

How about we act towards the greater good. Proposing the vulnerable lock themselves up so we can participate in a non-essential hobby is ridiculous. Think about what he said and you agreed with for a moment. 🙄

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see races start to happen.

If you feel safe racing go race!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's going to start happening. I can see IMFL/GC 70.3 taking place, and shortly thereafter Challenge Daytona will take place. I think at this point, the people who have been "in the middle" and who have taken precautions since March are beginning to, for better or for worse, loosen up. N=1, but I surely won't go to a packed bar anytime soon, but I would certainly consider racing a socially distance M-dot race...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
chriselam wrote:

Valid.

What’s valid about it? It’s an extremely selfish proposition.

How about we act towards the greater good. Proposing the vulnerable lock themselves up so we can participate in a non-essential hobby is ridiculous. Think about what he said and you agreed with for a moment. 🙄

I understand your point, and I also understand that this is generally the point everyone is making. I disagree. I think healthy people going out and exposing themselves is exactly what needs to happen.

Also, if I tried to skateboard I would most definitely fall and hurt myself. Therefore I don't skateboard. Society is fine.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
Maybe the people that are at risk should quarantine and everyone else should go about their day?

That may work for some at risk, but others at risk depend upon assistance from others who can't or won't quarantine. Therefore, all of us, if we care about the most vulnerable, should be cognizant of this during the pandemic and try to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

I'm not arguing that no triathlons should be happening at this time, but we all need to think about our choices and not just "go about (our) day" as we did pre COVID-19.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 29, 20 9:05
Quote Reply
Post deleted by T2LV [ In reply to ]
Re: Update: IM Florida [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm searching for a giant rolleyes emoji because the default one on my cell phone isn't large enough....

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

The problem is, I wouldn't feel safe if you decided to race and lived near me....

At the end of the day I'm fine with racing if it's allowed to happen. I wouldn't race this year but that's me.

I take umbrage with the line of crap that vulnerable people should remain locked up so everyone else can do as they please. That's just fucked up and selfish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t race then.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

The problem is, I wouldn't feel safe if you decided to race and lived near me....

At the end of the day I'm fine with racing if it's allowed to happen. I wouldn't race this year but that's me.

I take umbrage with the line of crap that vulnerable people should remain locked up so everyone else can do as they please. That's just fucked up and selfish.

I am strongly considering doing the 70.3 race. That being said, I've already had a pretty strong case of COVID-19 back in March and have since tested negative. I do have lingering impacts from it and I won't be competitive in a race at this point. I understand that we know so little about the virus to date, but I would wager that I am at the lowest risk to transmit or contract the virus at this point.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s selfish about it exactly?

No one is “locked up”. They just need to be careful. Because some people have to be extra cautious everyone else needs to also? That seems more selfish to me actually. I’m not high risk, but if I was the thought of kids not going to school, people losing jobs, homes being foreclosed on etc., just to keep me safe, would disgust me. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think I am.

Edit to say I like that this seems to be a conversation. If this were lavender room it wouldn’t be going this well.

--Chris
Last edited by: chriselam: Sep 29, 20 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

I am strongly considering doing the 70.3 race. That being said, I've already had a pretty strong case of COVID-19 back in March and have since tested negative. I do have lingering impacts from it and I won't be competitive in a race at this point. I understand that we know so little about the virus to date, but I would wager that I am at the lowest risk to transmit or contract the virus at this point.

Not trying to argue, but based on what? The fact that you had it back in March?

Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, having antibodies. But mostly, have developed proteins that block the virus to some extent.
https://www.nih.gov/...am%20led%20by%20Drs.

But I do read and know that there are issues.
https://www.nature.com/...s/d41586-020-00502-w

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admit that I am willfully ignorant of the whole thing. I do the best I can to respect those around me. Getting caught in the details just adds confusion, fear, and unnecessary stress to my life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I registered for IMFL and plan on doing it if it happens. I have been extremely careful and social distancing to the greatest extent possible since March. (Working 100% at home, only going to supermarket maybe 2x a month, training 100% solo). So, it’s not an easy decision to make. But, i also registered for the race a year ago.

The reason I would do this race is ultimately because I feel that I can personally control much of my environment and that I can personally take precautions to not put others at risk. It’s not necessarily racing itself that concerns me (so long as proper measures are taken)....it’s all the other things associated with racing. But, for me personally, I can drive myself to the race in my own car with my own food and supplies. I am also staying at an airbnb that has direct outside entry. And, I can quarantine upon my return as I will still be working from home. These factors make me feel at least a bit more comfortable with my own decision to race. And , I am trying not to fault myself for registering for something long before I knew what would happen. But, if I couldn’t drive there and if I couldn’t socially distance/quarantine before and after the race, I wouldn’t be going. My decision to race is still selfish...don’t get me wrong. But, I at least feel confident that my decisions outside of the race have been the best they can reasonably be.

What kills me more than anything, though, is that fact that I know people that have JUST registered for races. I know several folks who recently signed up for IM Cozumel because, for some reason, they just absolutely have to race this year. To me, that’s far more selfish. It’s one thing to already have a lot of money invested in a race and to decide to race in a responsible way. It’s a whole other thing, unless you’re a pro whose livelihood depends on racing, knowing what we know now, to decide to register for a travel race just because they feel they HAVE to race this year.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
chriselam wrote:
Don’t race then.

No, you missed the point. Why should my health be compromised by someone who decides to race and not consider the broader social implications? Me, I respect the greater social good enough to have decide that I can wait until sometime next year to race.

If health officials determine it's ok to hold a race, or do anything else really, then it is not selfish to do so. If people choose to be even more cautious then they are more than welcome to and that is great - but it's not required in order to be a good person/citizen.

That said, if people are walking into establishments without a mask and/or are disregarding the local officials guidelines then that's selfish. I personally don't see the need to wear a mask, but it's required where I live so I do it when I'm out as required. I live in a pretty large vacation spot on the SE coast and unfortunately many of the travelers here have totally disregarded the large flashing signs all over the place indicating masks are required - that fires me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimswam1003 wrote:
I registered for IMFL and plan on doing it if it happens. I have been extremely careful and social distancing to the greatest extent possible since March. (Working 100% at home, only going to supermarket maybe 2x a month, training 100% solo). So, it’s not an easy decision to make. But, i also registered for the race a year ago.

The reason I would do this race is ultimately because I feel that I can personally control much of my environment and that I can personally take precautions to not put others at risk. It’s not necessarily racing itself that concerns me (so long as proper measures are taken)....it’s all the other things associated with racing. But, for me personally, I can drive myself to the race in my own car with my own food and supplies. I am also staying at an airbnb that has direct outside entry. And, I can quarantine upon my return as I will still be working from home. These factors make me feel at least a bit more comfortable with my own decision to race. And , I am trying not to fault myself for registering for something long before I knew what would happen. But, if I couldn’t drive there and if I couldn’t socially distance/quarantine before and after the race, I wouldn’t be going. My decision to race is still selfish...don’t get me wrong. But, I at least feel confident that my decisions outside of the race have been the best they can reasonably be.

What kills me more than anything, though, is that fact that I know people that have JUST registered for races. I know several folks who recently signed up for IM Cozumel because, for some reason, they just absolutely have to race this year. To me, that’s far more selfish. It’s one thing to already have a lot of money invested in a race and to decide to race in a responsible way. It’s a whole other thing, unless you’re a pro whose livelihood depends on racing, knowing what we know now, to decide to register for a travel race just because they feel they HAVE to race this year.

I think this is just about the best reasoning for racing I have read on this site. The issue I have with so many about racing is they say "well don't race" or "make all of the old/sick people just stay at home". That is totally selfish and a terrible attitude in my opinion because those that say that are knowingly doing something risky to themselves and others but they do not seem to care about other lives they can impact. This is the reason we have over 20000 dead in the US. At the beginning of this people didn't want to stay at home for a few weeks or wear masks/social distance when we came out of the way to brief stay at home order. And now 6 months later we are no better than before.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
..... I personally don't see the need to wear a mask......

Seriously?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next