Prev Next
Re: Update: IM Florida [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
..... I personally don't see the need to wear a mask......

Seriously?

Way to isolate a piece of what I said. I'm wearing one regardless of what I think.

Regardless of whether or not you are wearing a mask, I'm curious as to why you "personally don't see the need to wear a mask"

Probably just to piss you off

I’m no snowflake.....Gonna take a whole lot more than that to piss me off.

But, I’m always willing to learn & try to make myself a better person. No better way than to try and have a civil conversation with people who hold opposing views.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s opposing views and then there’s science denying dumbasses. Hard to hold civil conversations with morons.

Not saying Vols is any of those, just a general comment to japarker.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
There’s opposing views and then there’s science denying dumbasses. Hard to hold civil conversations with morons.

Thanks for the post. I'm not a science denying dumbass - at least not the science denying part. I chose to not respond any further as the poster took a snippet of what I said and ignored the rest - clearly, if you take a snippet it doesn't look good. Having dialogue with people that choose to take that approach to conversation is pointless.

I wear a mask when required.

In any case, I'm glad the races appear to be going forward. I think GCT was my first half IM in around 2002 and would be racing it for the 10th time this year if it wasn't for a stress fracture that's kept me from running since late August. Admittedly, an 11am start time sounds awesome, although I do enjoy being able to start drinking beer before 11am when it's the typical 6am start.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
chriselam wrote:
Don’t race then.

No, you missed the point. Why should my health be compromised by someone who decides to race and not consider the broader social implications? Me, I respect the greater social good enough to have decide that I can wait until sometime next year to race.

If health officials determine it's ok to hold a race, or do anything else really, then it is not selfish to do so. If people choose to be even more cautious then they are more than welcome to and that is great - but it's not required in order to be a good person/citizen.

That said, if people are walking into establishments without a mask and/or are disregarding the local officials guidelines then that's selfish. I personally don't see the need to wear a mask, but it's required where I live so I do it when I'm out as required. I live in a pretty large vacation spot on the SE coast and unfortunately many of the travelers here have totally disregarded the large flashing signs all over the place indicating masks are required - that fires me up.

I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the bold part.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Vols wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
chriselam wrote:
Don’t race then.

No, you missed the point. Why should my health be compromised by someone who decides to race and not consider the broader social implications? Me, I respect the greater social good enough to have decide that I can wait until sometime next year to race.

If health officials determine it's ok to hold a race, or do anything else really, then it is not selfish to do so. If people choose to be even more cautious then they are more than welcome to and that is great - but it's not required in order to be a good person/citizen.

That said, if people are walking into establishments without a mask and/or are disregarding the local officials guidelines then that's selfish. I personally don't see the need to wear a mask, but it's required where I live so I do it when I'm out as required. I live in a pretty large vacation spot on the SE coast and unfortunately many of the travelers here have totally disregarded the large flashing signs all over the place indicating masks are required - that fires me up.

I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the bold part.

Enjoy your day.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Thanks for the post. I'm not a science denying dumbass - at least not the science denying part. I chose to not respond any further as the poster took a snippet of what I said and ignored the rest - clearly, if you take a snippet it doesn't look good. Having dialogue with people that choose to take that approach to conversation is pointless.

I wear a mask when required.

In any case, I'm glad the races appear to be going forward. I think GCT was my first half IM in around 2002 and would be racing it for the 10th time this year if it wasn't for a stress fracture that's kept me from running since late August. Admittedly, an 11am start time sounds awesome, although I do enjoy being able to start drinking beer before 11am when it's the typical 6am start.

In another post you also said I don't see the need to wear a mask

And while I appreciate that you are prepared to comply with lawful requests or instruction to wear a mask, I am curious as to why you don't see the need. There are all sorts of statistics available that might suggest a mask is useful in not getting and not giving the virus, in a variety of situations. So have you a natural immunity, antibodies from a previous infection. Perhaps you have no fear of infection as you are of an age, health, body type, genealogical lineage that is unaffected.

In some communities and cultures it has been considered good manners to wear a mask in public, and those communities seem to have effectively controlled the virus. So as you live in a country who's experience with this virus is less than stellar, can you correlate the two.

Would you consider letting us know.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally don't see the need to wear a mask, but it's required where I live so I do it when I'm out as required.

That was my initial comment. Reading comprehension is difficult - there was no course reversal anywhere. I'm not going to entertain discussion - regardless of my thoughts, I'm wearing mask when required. I'm sorry if the comments in my post offend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys - This thread is about Ironman Florida. He said he wears a mask, but all you want to do is pick on him. Move on.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Oct 9, 20 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think my query was picking on him. We live in troubled times and the poster made a curious remark and I thought I asked, quite politely, what drove that response. As for the thread being about Ironman Florida, that's quite correct and equally relevant.

A poster that says "If health officials determine it's ok to hold a race, or do anything else really, then it is not selfish to do so." Who essentially appears to say I'll wear a mask, but I don't believe in them should expect a query or be considered, dare I say, a troll.

We are all well aware that this pandemic, in the USA particularly, has been driven by politics. The idea that a Health Department will declare something safe when it isn't, is not out of the realm of reality. So once again the question is quite relevant, millions are relying on sensible advice from their municipal, local, City, State and Federal government and at each level, depending on the politics, the advice is different. I only have to say the names Fauci, CDC and WHO to drive that home.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Update: IM Florida [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

We are all well aware that this pandemic, in the USA particularly, has been driven by politics. The idea that a Health Department will declare something safe when it isn't, is not out of the realm of reality. So once again the question is quite relevant, millions are relying on sensible advice from their municipal, local, City, State and Federal government and at each level, depending on the politics, the advice is different. I only have to say the names Fauci, CDC and WHO to drive that home.

There have been concerns since April that Florida has been gaming their Covid data, with the goal of presenting data in the most positive light. From a recent Pew article: "In Florida, the state health department counted as COVID-19 deaths only people who claimed residency in Florida, whereas medical examiners included anyone who visited or lived there part-time and had died in the state." Given the leadership inclinations in this particular state, there is absolutely no reason to believe that any mass gathering event is reasonable at this time. The question regarding masks is relevant in this context.

People are going down there and bringing it home with them. I considered IM 70.3 Haines City in December here recently, but then logic kicked in. One it's not worth it, and two it will almost certainly be cancelled.

https://www.google.com/...ky/%3foutputType=amphttp://
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

We are all well aware that this pandemic, in the USA particularly, has been driven by politics. ...

There have been concerns since April that Florida has been gaming their Covid data, ....

People are going down there and bringing it home with them. I considered IM 70.3 Haines City in December here recently, but then logic kicked in. One it's not worth it, and two it will almost certainly be cancelled.

Whether Haines City is worth it or not is a discussion for the Lavender Room. However, I think you are flat wrong that the race will be cancelled. I predicted many months ago in a related IM Florida thread that PCB would grant the permit and that Ironman would proceed to hold the race. With both the GFT and IMFL already in possession of their permits and moving forward their races, it is highly UNLIKELY that rural Haines City would not grant the permit for IM70.3 Florida. Similarly, you can bet on the Treasure Coast Half-Iron (Nov 15) and Challenge Daytona (Dec 5) also going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Vols wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I'm not a science denying dumbass - at least not the science denying part.

In some communities and cultures it has been considered good manners to wear a mask in public, and those communities seem to have effectively controlled the virus. So as you live in a country who's experience with this virus is less than stellar, can you correlate the two.

Here's what the Oxford University Center for Evidence Based Medicine says about that logic: "We consider it is unwise to infer causation based on regional geographical observations as several proponents of masks have done. Spikes in cases can easily refute correlations, compliance with masks and other measures is often variable, and confounders cannot be accounted for in such observational research. "

Oxford has released two papers on masks this year. Earlier in the year they lamented the lack of scientific evidence. They did not claim that masks work or do not work, but simply stated that the objective science was lacking. In July Oxford doubled down in another paper and concluded the following: "The small number of trials and lateness in the pandemic cycle is unlikely to give us reasonably clear answers and guide decision-makers. This abandonment of the scientific modus operandi and lack of foresight has left the field wide open for the play of opinions, radical views and political influence. " 23 July 2020 Masking Lack of Evidence with Politics

Let me paraphrase the conclusion of these leading epidemiologists -- the existing science on masks is shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me paraphrase the conclusion of these leading epidemiologists -- the existing science on masks is shit.

Interesting Is that response somewhere in this article from July 2020

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

or this from the Oxford University Hospitals Sept 10th

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-us/staff/covid-staff-faqs-masks.aspx

or perhaps it's in this one

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/science-blog/face-coverings-made-compulsory-after-oxford-covid-19-study-inspires-debate

No it's not in any of them it's in a non scientific opinion from the CEBM , a think tank that is neither peer reviewed because they are opinions and does not actually do any science itself. Here is their own

Disclosure:

Tom Jefferson is a senior associate tutor and honorary research fellow, Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, University of Oxford. Disclosure statement is here
A little research shows he's also an anti vaxxer.
Carl Heneghan is Professor of Evidence-Based Medicine, University of Oxford, Director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine and Editor in Chief of BMJ EBM He is in fact a GP.

But it sure plays into the hands of suckers like you.

Last edited by: michael Hatch: Oct 9, 20 20:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wearing only a mask is inconsiderate of the health of the community. You should be wearing a mask in conjunction with a face shield and frequently changed latex surgical gloves.

Everything else is a half measure.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True to the state this thread is named after -- it has become a complete shit show.

Yikes.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an anti-vaxer and will gladly line up for the first effective COVID vax. I do think the science on masks is shit though. For practical policy and a realistic discussion on the value of masks, I think more nuanced views of Dr Osterholm are spot on.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/commentary-my-views-cloth-face-coverings-public-preventing-covid-19
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We don't know how well cloth masks work, so distancing should come first, but masks are likely to work to some extent and not everyone can distance themselves."

The statement at the end of his article.

Reading through it's obvious his biggest concern is that too many masks are not of sufficient quality to provide full protection, which leaves me with the impression that something is better than nothing, and nothing is better than an N95 quality. Especially if physical distancing is not possible or practical. Seems to me that once anyone leaves the confines of their home, to all intents and purposes there is never going to be a guarantee of physical distancing.

Nowhere did I see the words from him that the science on masks is shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee I checked on this thread because it referenced IM Florida....so confused. Talk about IM Florida and move the non-triathlon noise to the street.
Don't take yourselves so seriously; we're all having a tough year and learning a new normal

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [MRoudabush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, because the protection requirements have had so little effect on the number of races available.

Today marks one year, to the day since I last raced. One of the reasons that has happened in NA is because so many people have failed, miserably to abide by the simplest of things, wear a mask, wash your hand and keep a sensible distance between people. It's the middle of October, and other countries that did those things are now open for business and I'm dealing with a second wave.

The US on the other hand has just been one continuous ripple wave. But you know, when's the race going to open......strewth.

Of course we shouldn't take it so seriously, one sister and niece (on oxygen), two children(recovered), one high school friend (didn't make it), my lawyer (and friend of 40 years) later....yeah it's nothing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s everyone’s fault you have not raced in one year??

There’s another thread on here you may interested in. I think it’s called cry like a biatch.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. It is the fault of the many many many Americans who refused to lock down and refuse to wear a mask and social distance. That is the reason why this virus is still spreading. Is that hard to wrap your head around?

And of course the government officials are at fault too for not doing their part.

Twitter - Instagram
Last edited by: jrielley: Oct 12, 20 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!!

Its everyone else's fault.

(don't look here you will just flake out even more but the WHO just said lockdowns are not working and to stop doing it. But hey, that's hard of get your head wrapped around.).
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
LOL!!!!

Its everyone else's fault.

(don't look here you will just flake out even more but the WHO just said lockdowns are not working and to stop doing it. But hey, that's hard of get your head wrapped around.).

You may want to re-read the WHO’s latest guidance on lockdowns. It doesn’t say what you think it says. You’re woefully misinterpreting things.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Update: IM Florida [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Removed post.

Twitter - Instagram
Last edited by: jrielley: Oct 12, 20 7:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next