Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any video footage from today KOM? Glad Lionel came back.. Now Poor Sam has a lot of time to think about it lol. Good job guys
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone flagged Sams ride?
https://www.strava.com/activities/3272925884
Last edited by: The Red Baron: Apr 21, 20 1:37
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ZenTriBrett [ In reply to ]
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Red Baron wrote:
Someone flagged Sams ride?
https://www.strava.com/activities/3272925884[/quote

This reminds me of how anybody can make a takedown request on youtube, which screws over the channel for a long time until they get it resolved.

Strava's help page says there's no way for you to find out who flagged you unless they out themselves. :(

His ride was April 8th. Who would do this now? Time for a Twitchhunt?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 21, 20 3:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zen...someone comments in Lionel’s strava on his recent ride about flagging what I believe was Sam Longs effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Zen...someone comments in Lionel’s strava on his recent ride about flagging what I believe was Sam Longs effort.

"400 watts - Must be a cheater"

Could have spent ten seconds on google if you didn't know who Sam Long was...

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the stop sign segment thing is annoying.

As far as riding around town, it all depends on your 'locale'. If it's a rural area with douche cops or sherrifs with nothing to do, good luck. It's enough ride time between stops, I usually slow to a track stand. I'd rather not have a 60mph speeder round a corner and plow me.

In the city, the cops themselves roll the stop signs and just wave as you roll your bike by. They know that if you hit "zero" at every sign you'd never get anywhere in town on a bike. If I'm in a "smaller" town, I usually track stand it then go to avoid the renegade small town cop. You're only there for a minute or two anyway.

Segments though, I don't really go after any with a downhill or flat land stop sign or light involved. Not worth it. You're hurting and thinking you got it and instead of rolling it at 5 to 10mph you head down blast it and die while thinking it's clear.

If it's THAT important to you, have a spotter ride with you and camp at the intersection to flag for you for traffic and cops/riders. Then they can wave you off to stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many comments about wind conditions on the attempts which would have a huge impact on times, anyone local have info on this?

4/20 for Lionel at 8:07am wind looked to be super mild (good or bad?) compared to 4/8 attempt by Sam and 4/17 attempt by Stites which had very strong S winds.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I agree. I once was focused on getting a KOM and it required me to sail through an intersection at high speed. I had the right of way and no stop sign, but it was still very dangerous to just expect other cars to see you and stop. I thought about asking somebody to sit at that intersection and wave me through if it was safe, but the whole thing sounded so stupid and self-centered, I couldn't bring myself to ask anybody to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [teckert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is Sam’s KOM (now 2nd place) bullshit? Fake ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam has the KOM on one segment, Lionel has the KOM on others. This is not unusual to have on long segments, especially mountain ones.

For my own sake, a few years ago I created a segment up Lemmon that I thought of as most of the mountain. It is from mile 0 to the first "peak." Lionel has this one. The only difference between this one and "Mt Lemmon" is the one I created didn't have any of that flat road at the bottom between the Snyder stop sign and "mile 0."

https://www.strava.com/...01656?filter=overall

For those that don't know, Mt Lemmon climbs for roughly 20.5 miles before descending (a real descent, you can easily hit 40+ mph) about 1.5-2mimi back below 8000ft, then it climbs again for another 1-1.5mi getting back up around 8000ft before descending into Summerhaven (a small town composed mainly of mountain cabins and a few stores, including the cookie cabin). As you are making this descent into Summerhaven, you have the opportunity to turn right and go up towards "Sky Valley," which is the skiing area of Mt Lemmon (it's actually the southernmost ski resort, period). There is a large restaurant located at "Ski Valley" and a Forest Service gate, which is usually down in the winter because there is too much snow to go further. If, however, the gate is up you can proceed upwards further towards "Sky Center," where you will eventually not be able to ride any further as you will have come to a chain link fence that contains the observatory area (a bunch of telescopes and a research type center). You will be just above 9000ft and at the top of the mountain.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Apr 21, 20 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
So is Sam’s KOM (now 2nd place) bullshit? Fake ride?

No, some idiot on Strava just thought it was

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying.
Seems Phil Gaimons segment is the most ‘coveted’ segment so I’m good with that as the benchmark.
Full Lemmon all the way to ski lifts was like a side note lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I just unfollowed Sam on Strava. I like the way Sanders and Gaimon banter on Strava, but Sam just seemed kinda whiney. I'm definitely not a fan.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Yeah, I just unfollowed Sam on Strava. I like the way Sanders and Gaimon banter on Strava, but Sam just seemed kinda whiney. I'm definitely not a fan.

By the looks of the comments on Strava, Lionel is the one that is whining about the whole thing. Sam says good effort and Lionel sends 4 responses defending himself to the death.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

By the looks of the comments on Strava, Lionel is the one that is whining about the whole thing. Sam says good effort and Lionel sends 4 responses defending himself to the death.

Probably because The Big Unit hopped on insta right away proclaiming Lionel had "swung and missed" on "the" KOM. (Lionel was going after a longer, much harder segment that was 20+ minutes longer, and STILL only missed Sam's by 5 seconds).

And then had his girlfriend slide into Lionel's Strava comments and continue the charade.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

he said more than just good effort:

Sam (BigUnit) Long
Good effort! But not quite enough.

---

lol - definitely seems kind of dick. But, Lionel did miss it by 5 seconds.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Lionel was going after a longer, much harder segment that was 20+ minutes longer, and STILL only missed Sam's by 5 seconds

seems legit

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. "The big unit" comes across as a clown in this Strava segment KOM dust up. Sam - its not hard to figure out. Identify the segment in question and give it a go. Until then, show up tomorrow for the Zwift Pro Tri Series London loop race and see what you can do.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel has always targeted the one called Mt. Lemmon Official which he got back. https://www.strava.com/...d=701123813683811957

He also took back a bunch of others.....not sure why Sam is insisting Lionel missed by 5 seconds....that's not the segment he was targeting. Sam is focused on the segment with a similar name that has a short run up to the base.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
And then had his girlfriend slide into Lionel's Strava comments and continue the charade.

That seemed a little immature. Her Strava is set to private so nobody can see her rides but wants to jump on Strava and give Lionel shit.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I guess I'm back on here. Although, frankly, rather reluctantly this time. I suppose I’m here to clarify my point of view and what I see as facts. I see a lot of “emotional” arguments being made and would prefer if we stuck to logic.

Before I dive in, I want to say that I respect Lionel Sanders to the highest degree. He has been one of my idols in this sport--like many of you. In fact, I started this whole challenge with the mindset “how close can I get to Lionel’s time”. I have been beaten by him many times. I don’t think he or I would want this mess that many are making it into. Keep that in mind. It is two competitive athletes going after it in a time where there is no racing. Ultimately, we are both doing it for fun. Many of us have a lot of frustrations in this difficult time and no outlet.

I want to make a few points about mine and Lionel’s effort and the segments

To argue that the “Mt. Lemmon Official” segment is the only one Lionel is going after is ludicrous. If you look at the segment titled “Snyder 4-way to mile 0” you can see that Lionel averaged 397 watts for that segment. I must go a step further because some will most likely say that it was Lionel preparing for the main segment and that he wasn’t trying there. Well, Lionel averaged 388 watts for Mt. Lemmon. In other words, he did this segment at the start (from Snyder!) at a higher effort than he averaged for the whole climb Gotta love a cyclist who (To quote Talbot) would start going hard a mile early? A power meter does not lie. In general, everyone goes after both and in all instances but this one when someone has gotten one, they have gotten both.Below I'll present a few more facts on the validity of the Mt. Lemmon Segment as opposed to The Mt. Lemmon Official Segment
A) Further evidence of this is that Lionel has “Mt. Lemmon” as a starred segment on his Strava
B) Further validity to the “Mt. Lemmon” segment being the more official one is that only 109 people have the one starred that is titled “Mt. Lemmon official” while 1,100 people have the one titled “Mt. Lemmon” starred. This is the one that starts at Snyder…I’ll also put this out there: anyone can make a segment in Strava and title it whatever they want. Just because one ends in the word “official” does not make it so. The “Mt. Lemmon” segment is also the older segment.
C) To quote Lionel in his last video he said: "No one knows which one is official and which one isn't". if Lionel admits that himself surely, he would go after both and not just one.
D) The road is not flat starting at Snyder. Do not mistake flatter for flat.
E) Of course more people have completed the Mt. Lemmon Official segment. This is common sense: any segment that falls within a larger segment will have more people who have completed it.

I also want to address that I didn’t create any of these segments. I simply went after the one where (most) everyone else has started and ended. I may or may not agree that having it start right after a stop sign is right but it’s the way it is. I would also enjoy it if the climb that people compare themselves by went truly to the top but as almost no one competes at that segment I didn’t bother (Nor did Phil!). To further exemplify this point people could also run an extra 8k after an IM to make a 50K which is more legit, yet no one does that? Heck, I would love it if it was a rule that you had to ride at least 100 miles before starting the climb to make it a real tough man's race. Now, that would make it fun.

I’ll end by saying this. I foresaw this mess happening when I knew I had the fitness to go after the KOM (I also paced the Mt. Lemmon segment in such a way to bank time early to get the “Mt. Lemmon" segment). I reached out to Lionel to do a pursuit style race (with no drafting and staying 6 feet apart at all times for safety related to Corona) and this would decide who the King of Mt. Lemmon was--conditions and all the other variables aside. He accepted at first and then later declined (reasons stated were Corona and likely smartly so). I feel the goal posts are getting changed on me when what I did was play the game.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
IG: @samgolong
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam,

This is just a bunch of bored people being bored.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nominate Phil’s Retirement Episode as the real segment.

Discuss
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam you're just on the wrong side of a bunch of Lionel fanboys, most of which didn't know who he was until he hired a videographer to be his hype man a few years ago. You have the KOM, keep ripping it up and being authentic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next