Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less)
Quote | Reply
Wow! If real that’s super impressive!!
Does his strava look legit and everything on the up & up?
Good on you Sam!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link to the activity: https://www.strava.com/activities/3272925884
Last edited by: carbenfire: Apr 8, 20 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Wow! If real that’s super impressive!!
Does his strava look legit and everything on the up & up?
Good on you Sam!

Sam is legit on the bike. He just needs to get that swim going. Sounds familiar...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between Skipper, Long, and Sanders, these guys really are living in an alternate universe. Most are just trying to put food on the table and stay healthy, while these guys are pushing limits. I'm surpised more professional endurance athletes aren't phasing into base training with no imminent race season on the horizon. It almost seems a little misguided with some of the KOM hunting and so forth going on. It's like these guys are oblivious to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, it's not like everyone is supposed to stop training, but on the other hand these yeoman efforts we're seeing, don't seem aligned with good sense or social perspective at a time like this.

Someone I know snagged a KOM in a closed public park yesterday. I told him he shouldn't have been there, and to keep it on the down low, due to a likely back lash on social media. We all have to have some respect for others and social awareness right now.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but the overall optics are not good at the moment. On another note I've lost like 6 KOMs recently. I'm a little surpised people are gunning so hard for them despite the current situation. I guess people are bored AF and looking for an outlet. On the other hand, I'm training regularly but just not pushing limits too hard. Staying healthy is more important to me right now.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Apr 8, 20 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stress release, channeling the racer energy and publicity and social media komradery... Its common....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...oronavirus-lockdown/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to post his heartrate. I would be curious to see how it holds up to Sander's, which is somehow just incredibly low.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can´t speak as to Joe´s training or Sam's, but I´ll give you this insight.....

Lionel didn´t train to smash the KOM, nor did he particularly train to focus on the Zwift race of late. Nor is he crushing a block of intensity orientated training or KOM chasing. We were training business as usual upto a month or so ago then in fact between no swimming and limiting outdoor riding to an absolute minimum we had a week or so of downshifting and reappraising the plan ahead.

Your comments do come across as critical and imply bad optics across all three when all three individual situations are vastly different.

If I thought for a moment Lionel was jeopardising his health and the health of others around him or ignoring appropriate social practises I would be the first to pull him up on it.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always enjoy hearing the insights from the actual coach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for speaking up about that.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s a monster. He did Waco 70.3 last year and beat Starky and won the race although he was recovering from shoulder injury. Now I want to Sanders taking it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Sam Long raced Waco last year but I know he didn't win. Sam Appleton did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Between Skipper, Long, and Sanders, these guys really are living in an alternate universe. Most are just trying to put food on the table and stay healthy, while these guys are pushing limits. I'm surpised more professional endurance athletes aren't phasing into base training with no imminent race season on the horizon. It almost seems a little misguided with some of the KOM hunting and so forth going on. It's like these guys are oblivious to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, it's not like everyone is supposed to stop training, but on the other hand these yeoman efforts we're seeing, don't seem aligned with good sense or social perspective at a time like this.

Someone I know snagged a KOM in a closed public park yesterday. I told him he shouldn't have been there, and to keep it on the down low, due to a likely back lash on social media. We all have to have some respect for others and social awareness right now.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but the overall optics are not good at the moment. On another note I've lost like 6 KOMs recently. I'm a little surpised people are gunning so hard for them despite the current situation. I guess people are bored AF and looking for an outlet. On the other hand, I'm training regularly but just not pushing limits too hard. Staying healthy is more important to me right now.

Might be easier and a lot safer to chase KOMs on far quieter roads so why not breakup the boredom ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh I enjoy this KOM chase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to take anything away from Sam, but do we know if it was done solo. I recall his last attempt was done with a training partner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know Sam's weight? 404 for 75 mins seems like insanity for a smaller guy like me....ha. Incredible.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if he used a road bike or a TT bike? I haven't done this climb, but based on the average speeds and possible wind, I would imagine a TT bike would be beneficial, assuming the person is familiar and dialed for that bike. I gotta think a tri guy would be very comfortable on a TT bike for an effort like this. I know Lionel used his rd bike, so just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples (well at least the same variety of apples).

I know there will always be multiple factors to influence an effort like this (wind would be a big one), so I'm not in anyway criticizing here. Just wondering about his setup if anyone knows.

Same is one of the best cyclists in triathlon, while impressive this is no surprise to anyone who’s been following him for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Does anyone know if he used a road bike or a TT bike? I haven't done this climb, but based on the average speeds and possible wind, I would imagine a TT bike would be beneficial, assuming the person is familiar and dialed for that bike. I gotta think a tri guy would be very comfortable on a TT bike for an effort like this. I know Lionel used his rd bike, so just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples (well at least the same variety of apples).

I know there will always be multiple factors to influence an effort like this (wind would be a big one), so I'm not in anyway criticizing here. Just wondering about his setup if anyone knows.

i feel confident saying he was on his road bike. it was a good wind day, yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Lmao you have to be kidding me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If people are allowed to walk their dog or go for a casual bike ride, hunting KOMs is no different. Just because it’s more passionate than a walk down the block doesn’t make it more dangerous, if anything it’s still less dangerous because of the isolation. Meanwhile sidewalks and city trails that aren’t shut down are absolutely clogged and look like a parade, but nobody says anything about them because those people aren’t KOM hunting.

Aside from a few countries in the world, anyone can go outside and exercise. What exactly are the people worrying about putting food on the table able to do about it right now? Nothing, they’re in their houses waiting like everyone else. No reason to let that stop you from exercising.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s 6’4 and 175, just said in a story last week. Also rode alone yesterday which he noted since the first was done with another guy Tyler Stites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insights - now the real question is: when is Lionel's next attempt on that KOM?! Looking forward to hearing about that one :-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overproduced video with 60k views at 200 jock sniffing fanboy comments patting him on the back or it doesn't count.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
He’s 6’4 and 175, just said in a story last week. Also rode alone yesterday which he noted since the first was done with another guy Tyler Stites.

And his dad is Bill Brasky! 6'10" and 320 lbs. He rode a unicycle up Everest while juggling his 6 wives!
Quote Reply

Prev Next