Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Between Skipper, Long, and Sanders, these guys really are living in an alternate universe. Most are just trying to put food on the table and stay healthy, while these guys are pushing limits. I'm surpised more professional endurance athletes aren't phasing into base training with no imminent race season on the horizon. It almost seems a little misguided with some of the KOM hunting and so forth going on. It's like these guys are oblivious to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, it's not like everyone is supposed to stop training, but on the other hand these yeoman efforts we're seeing, don't seem aligned with good sense or social perspective at a time like this.

Someone I know snagged a KOM in a closed public park yesterday. I told him he shouldn't have been there, and to keep it on the down low, due to a likely back lash on social media. We all have to have some respect for others and social awareness right now.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but the overall optics are not good at the moment. On another note I've lost like 6 KOMs recently. I'm a little surpised people are gunning so hard for them despite the current situation. I guess people are bored AF and looking for an outlet. On the other hand, I'm training regularly but just not pushing limits too hard. Staying healthy is more important to me right now.

Who cares about the "optics" of this. Going for KOMs is fun. It's fun to still be competitive with no racing on the horizon.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Between Skipper, Long, and Sanders, these guys really are living in an alternate universe. Most are just trying to put food on the table and stay healthy, while these guys are pushing limits. I'm surpised more professional endurance athletes aren't phasing into base training with no imminent race season on the horizon. It almost seems a little misguided with some of the KOM hunting and so forth going on. It's like these guys are oblivious to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, it's not like everyone is supposed to stop training, but on the other hand these yeoman efforts we're seeing, don't seem aligned with good sense or social perspective at a time like this.

Someone I know snagged a KOM in a closed public park yesterday. I told him he shouldn't have been there, and to keep it on the down low, due to a likely back lash on social media. We all have to have some respect for others and social awareness right now.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but the overall optics are not good at the moment. On another note I've lost like 6 KOMs recently. I'm a little surpised people are gunning so hard for them despite the current situation. I guess people are bored AF and looking for an outlet. On the other hand, I'm training regularly but just not pushing limits too hard. Staying healthy is more important to me right now.

I see where you're coming from, regarding the dark times we're in, but there isn't anything wrong with doing solo KOM challenges. I'm a nurse and I've been working my butt off and putting myself at danger on a daily basis. Sadly I feel I'm in the best fitness of my life. I've been crushing my areas KOM's by large margins. It is a huge stress reliever and a way to take the mind off the terrible situation we're all in. Gotta embrace the fitness somehow. This covid crisis isn't going away any time soon. You're wrong calling out the rider who 'snagged' your KOM. It sounds as though you're just afraid to get it back. Maybe you require a lead out from others in order to get these KOM's and now you can't do it? If it is solo, how is this any different than someone walking their dog on the side walk? I understand the narcissism of the whole thing, but this Covid isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
I can´t speak as to Joe´s training or Sam's, but I´ll give you this insight.....

Lionel didn´t train to smash the KOM, nor did he particularly train to focus on the Zwift race of late. Nor is he crushing a block of intensity orientated training or KOM chasing. We were training business as usual upto a month or so ago then in fact between no swimming and limiting outdoor riding to an absolute minimum we had a week or so of downshifting and reappraising the plan ahead.

Your comments do come across as critical and imply bad optics across all three when all three individual situations are vastly different.

If I thought for a moment Lionel was jeopardising his health and the health of others around him or ignoring appropriate social practises I would be the first to pull him up on it.

I'm glad to hear that Lionel is dialing in the training efforts to keep himself and his family healthy.

My point is in regards to the overall optics and I'm not trying to pick on these guys specifically but the thread mentions them specifically so that is why I mentioned them.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am convinced the person you responded to is a top notch troll - he even nabbed DTD with this one. There's several posts made by that poster over the past 6ish months that are similarly odd - I recall one about riding with earphones in is a form of suicide or something like that. Absolutely has to be trolling. The piece about not taking his KOMs actually made me certain of it and laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2win352 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I see where you're coming from, regarding the dark times we're in, but there isn't anything wrong with doing solo KOM challenges. I'm a nurse and I've been working my butt off and putting myself at danger on a daily basis. Sadly I feel I'm in the best fitness of my life. I've been crushing my areas KOM's by large margins. It is a huge stress reliever and a way to take the mind off the terrible situation we're all in. Gotta embrace the fitness somehow. This covid crisis isn't going away any time soon. You're wrong calling out the rider who 'snagged' your KOM. It sounds as though you're just afraid to get it back. Maybe you require a lead out from others in order to get these KOM's and now you can't do it? If it is solo, how is this any different than someone walking their dog on the side walk? I understand the narcissism of the whole thing, but this Covid isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Afraid to get it back? Dude took 4 of mine in one ride with a spring hurricane on his back. Literally a 30 mph sustained wind and all of those KOMs were directly wind aided. I really don't give a crap as I've been on the trainer for convenience. If I wanted them I would just re-target them. I'm pretty much over KOM hunting though for the foreseeable future as I think it's not really helping with training goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
I am convinced the person you responded to is a top notch troll - he even nabbed DTD with this one. There's several posts made by that poster over the past 6ish months that are similarly odd - I recall one about riding with earphones in is a form of suicide or something like that. Absolutely has to be trolling. The piece about not taking his KOMs actually made me certain of it and laugh.

I'm not a troll, and yes riding with your senses impaired (headphones) is a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I ride outside every Saturday, I run outside every day. Bite me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Can you explain how riding your bike(regardless of how slow or how fast) up an open public road is bad optics? I think you need you need to go for a bike ride. I am surprised as how many people think no one is allowed to have any fun or challenge themselves a bit just because of COVID. I am tired of the "if someone is having fun then they are clearly doing something wrong" attitude. He was out breathing fresh air.. probably safer than sitting around in Tucson. Bad optics would be someone jumping on their private jet and flying off to their private island and instreaming the journey while bragging about it and playing corn hole with beanbags made our of N95 masks.

Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Nobody is saying it's not okay to ride outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Nobody is saying it's not okay to ride outside.

I understand. I sort of feel the same way regarding pro athletes and a lot of their posts. I'm mostly annoyed by the people who are comfy and safe at home posting silly videos of how much fun they're having. The fact is, they're insignificant in the world right now and they are so used to getting attention. But I gotta say, Sam and Lionel crushing the climb is pretty awesome. This is hard work and inspiring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The social optics of riding your bike up a hill

I've now heard it all
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the Triathlete article, Lionel's response is,

“It’s a very impressive effort. So impressive that I might even let it stand until next weekend, we’ll see.”

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam's turning into the old Lionel....huge effort nonetheless
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#humblebrag

I did his first bike fit, haha. Should have seen the bike he was on, it was atrocious, still ended up getting like 5th(?) overall at IM Boulder in his first IM, pretty impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [phoenix49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenix49 wrote:
#humblebrag

I did his first bike fit, haha. Should have seen the bike he was on, it was atrocious, still ended up getting like 5th(?) overall at IM Boulder in his first IM, pretty impressive!

Wait, did we just find the "patient zero" that could have told Lionel to bring his knees in when he pedals? WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING?!

Just kidding. And seriously, I was watching Peter Sagan today during the 2018 Paris-Roubaix and he pedals the same way and nobody dares to give him crap about it. I guess once you've already won enough, people's perception of stuff changes a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
I can´t speak as to Joe´s training or Sam's, but I´ll give you this insight.....

Lionel didn´t train to smash the KOM, nor did he particularly train to focus on the Zwift race of late. Nor is he crushing a block of intensity orientated training or KOM chasing. We were training business as usual upto a month or so ago then in fact between no swimming and limiting outdoor riding to an absolute minimum we had a week or so of downshifting and reappraising the plan ahead.

Your comments do come across as critical and imply bad optics across all three when all three individual situations are vastly different.

If I thought for a moment Lionel was jeopardising his health and the health of others around him or ignoring appropriate social practises I would be the first to pull him up on it.

Maybe he covered it in a video I missed, but is there some reason he isn't heading back to Windsor (or wherever his house is) so he can use his endless pool?

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not knowing Sam at all, I find my opinion of somebody that wears skull graphics and drives a Ford Raptor highly depends on if he came up with the nickname "Big Unit" for himself or somebody else did. Until I find out, I'll reserve judgement.

(I myself love skull t shirts, used to drive a F-150, and tried to get co-workers to call me "Big-Daddy B" when I was his age, so I'm definitely not any better a person than him. Just sayin' I need to get to the bottom of this.)
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 10, 20 3:30
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to pass judgement on you for trying to force your own nickname BUT thank you for asking the question that needed to be asked!! Where did Big Unit nickname come from for Long? This will go a long way towards perception.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Not knowing Sam at all, I find my opinion of somebody that wears skull graphics and drives a Ford Raptor highly depends on if he came up with the nickname "Big Unit" for himself or somebody else did. Until I find out, I'll reserve judgement.

(I myself love skull t shirts, used to drive a F-150, and tried to get co-workers to call me "Big-Daddy B" when I was his age, so I'm definitely not any better a person than him. Just sayin' I need to get to the bottom of this.)

it was a self-proclaimed nick name.

also: he does not drive a $70k truck
Last edited by: jkhayc: Apr 10, 20 8:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s sponsored by Wattie and that’s one of their kits. He used to drive a truck, which he slept in for like a month while racing 2 IM’s. Traded the truck for a Prius. Also dating a Canadian girl who got him to wear more pink than most riders.

I’m 99.9% sure that’s not his truck. Probably Sean Wattie if I were to guess.
Last edited by: Dr. Seuss: Apr 10, 20 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Not sure what your beef is with the kit. It's pretty rad. It's called War Master and it was Josh Amberger's design for Kona 2019.

Sam is in fact a Big Unit at 6-4 175 in this game where frodo is the same height but ten lbs less. I suppose Starky could be the Unit since he's 6-2 185.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 10, 20 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he is a Randy Johnson fan....

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Wattie a rich kid? No disrespect just wondering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, he does own a company that charges $300+ for a kit that cost less 15%( guess) to make. No idea if he’s “rich” but I’m sure they are doing just fine. Also doesn’t seem like he has kids which lowers expenses.

Again, might not be Wattie’s truck. I was just guessing but am very confident it’s not Sam’s
Last edited by: Dr. Seuss: Apr 11, 20 4:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next