Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sir are a scholar and a gentleman!!! It's awesome that you 1) had your attention grab by the truck talk followed by nickname chat 2) that you took the time to tell a funny story about the nickname (you seem to have left out if the coach calling you Big Unit in front of a pool full of women only caused laughter or if you ended up with phone numbers/dates?!)

Keep living the dream BIG!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the phil/lionel storyline was fun because they are both youtubers so there was a weekly back and forth starting

Phil/Lionel have the potential to be the Coe/Ovett mile battle of our time, unless Long is the Cram?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't be serious. Who cares about "optics"? We are free to come and go as we please and ride or run as hard and fast as we like. If you are worried about this nonsense you spout stay inside and play on your trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has been fun to read and follow. With no races going on, we might as well follow epic strava kom competitions.

Sam, you just earned a new follower on IG. I'm almost the exact same build as you at 6"5/175. Not the same ftp though.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kompetitions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam(go) Long wrote:
I’m not afraid to fail

the most important thing you wrote.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam - you seem to have abandoned the other nickname we gave you at masters class a couple of years ago - Baby Moose!

I don't blame you for not adopting that one... but at the time it was pretty fitting!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A real challenge would be the Tucson[ish] Triple Crown (<--- I made that up but it sounds legit):

Mt. Lemmon - you've got that one
Kitt Peak - you've got a pretty fast time on that one
Mt. Graham - have you done that one?

Mt. Graham is probably the hardest. The pitch varies and it's at least 1.25hrs but it goes a little higher and the course is more windy (than Lemmon).
Last edited by: jkhayc: Apr 13, 20 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
I honestly don’t think the World Pro Tour guys are that far ahead of the top triathlon guys when it comes to straight power. LOOK at Andrew Talansky’s bike performances in triathlon..

Bike handling skills are a different subject.
We all saw how hard Phil Gaimon went up Lemmon now we have 2 triathletes that went harder..

Just a few examples of what high end world tour power looks like (Gaimon could not secure a contract so not a good data point). The cancellara and froome data points are always the most eye opening to myself personally. Cancellara did 440 AP 460NP for 1:12 in Rio and he was quite lean, if i recall correctly 170lbs. Then Froome's stage 19 at the Giro, doing over 400w for an hour at 145lbs is beyond comprehension considering the fatigue already in his legs.

http://www.stickybottle.com/...tt-is-truly-awesome/

https://cyclingtips.com/...r-watts-amstel-gold/

https://cyclingtips.com/...e-pro-road-cyclists/

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...e-weight-race-385048
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not any more 😋😂

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Not any more 😋😂

😎 👏🏻
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So where is the new video!! I've watched the Findlay one 3 times already, need some fresh KOM meat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Lionel tried and missed today, if you check the KOM. You see he is only 5 s back, but when you try to enter it he has it deleted?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mmmtjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch, would be cool to find out would happened!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [mmmtjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A swing and a miss by 5 seconds has to hurt.

https://www.strava.com/...#2687293455008506173
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the "real" one is Mt. Lemmon Official:

AthleteTime1Lionel Sanders1:12:4416.6mi/h2Sam (BigUnit) Long1:13:0016.5mi/h
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 20, 20 15:01
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah looks like he took most of the full Mt Lemmon segments except the one called Mt Lemmon.

Also, holy hell. Does everyone that rides Lemmon think then need to create a new segment? Strava should clean that up.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s what phil G went for and that’s the only Lionel went for. Lionel has only been going for the MT Lemmon official here.
https://strava.app.link/OVXkQDYEQ5

Although the real kind of the mountain is the one who rides from the bottom to the top.. the top is like 5 miles past where Sam long stopped.
Who knows it’s all for fun.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12339842

Maybe next time Lionel should of blown the stop sign and he would of been up to speed starting on a 1 mile flat before the climb. Gotta love a cyclist who does that.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So heather and paula need to go back to do the real climb
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, looking at Lionel's Strava from this morning, he went through that stop sign at 21 mph. Sam's attempt on April 8th, he slowed down to 11.9 mph before rolling through the sign. Just sayin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Uh, looking at Lionel's Strava from this morning, he went through that stop sign at 21 mph. Sam's attempt on April 8th, he slowed down to 11.9 mph before rolling through the sign. Just sayin.

The day Sam took that strange 5min segment KOM a few weeks back I saw him at the bottom roll through that stop sign. We are all guilty of rolling stop signs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam (BigUnit) Long
Good effort! But not quite enough.

Lionel Sanders
Sam (BigUnit) Long You really gunna do me like that? https://www.strava.com/.../2687293455008506149 All that time from the other segment is from the run up to the base of the mountain!

Lionel Sanders
Sam (BigUnit) Long This is the segment without the run up to the base of the mountain: https://www.strava.com/segments/14959515. It's all good bro. Just for fun.

Sam (BigUnit) Long
Lionel Sanders I know, very impressive ride! We'll call us the dual kings!

Lionel Sanders
Amy Ellett it's not a hidden segment. It is the first one that comes up on my dashboard. It has been attempted by 10117 people versus 9297 people for the other segment. I'm not going to get into it over a Strava segment. The reality is it is not even the top of mount lemmon as I climbed another 1000ft after it!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. They both rolled through it on the days they took their KOMs. Lionel nearly double the speed of Sam, even.

I personally have a $250 traffic ticket for rolling through a stop sign on my bike in the middle of nowhere, no Strava segment involved whatsoever. And then an hour spent arguing with a cop and then judge and defensive driving anyways afterwards. I'm not saying we don't do it. What I'm saying is acting like we don't is laughable.

When somebody says, "Maybe he shoulda blown through the stop sign..." like Sam did and he didn't? Yeah, he did. And at nearly twice the speed of the competition.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 20, 20 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly dislike segments that include stop signs or lights. I am not sure why that is "allowed" on Strava, to be honest. If anything, it puts more validity on the non Sam Long KOM segment.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long taking Lemmon KOM (from Sanders no less) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I strongly dislike segments that include stop signs or lights. I am not sure why that is "allowed" on Strava, to be honest. If anything, it puts more validity on the non Sam Long KOM segment.

True. Sam started the segment at a pretty pedestrian 11.9 mph while Lionel was doing 22. Somebody could do the 11th grade word problem math there and figure out what time disadvantage that gives Sam. How long does it take to get up to 22 mph from 12 at their weight and 300 watts or so.

What would be TRULY badass is for one of them to take the KOM from a dead stop. Street cred intensifiezzzz
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 20, 20 19:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next