Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured I could post these publicly but if you want to take to PM that's cool.
160 cranks
Sorry for the freedom units
saddle height 30.25 - 30 7/16" to BB center. This measurement is kinda hard for me to guage.
saddle tip to back of pad: 21.75"

First sit down on the bisaddle with this configuration. Using the wedge that makes it more rounded and it's sitting at around 8-10degrees dpending on where i sit the level. This felt really good actually. Will be giving it a 2hr Sweet Spot test tomorrow.
https://drive.google.com/...Wa7/view?usp=sharing

ISM.4.0 6degree tilt. Been using for a couple weeks, and able to put out power just getting figety. Sore taint, nearing a saddle sore on the contact points and penis numbess
https://drive.google.com/...YXs/view?usp=sharing

ISM 10degree tilt. Figured I'd do this one at 10 since the Bisaddle felt good.
https://drive.google.com/...Xm5/view?usp=sharing

edit:Recorded on my gopro, but can redo on my phone if the fisheye is messing you up. If you download instead of using the web player they are much better quality

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Mar 29, 21 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been riding the stock Cervelo saddle that came with my bike. Although it never produces much pain/discomfort/numbness while riding, I have had some issues off the bike - namely, difficulty getting/staying hard. I’d had a bike fit, but was putting in quite a bit of time indoors in aero position when I started noticing the issue. Bike fitter suggested it was an issue of the Cervelo seat being too soft and too wide, which meant it was basically flattening out under body weight and defeating the whole purpose of the cutout. Switched to a narrower, firmer Gebiomized Stride. Not exactly comfy but hoping it resolves things — along with some more time outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [HereForTheShirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried a Dash saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've found that my TT bike comfort saddle-wise comes down to which bib shorts I use. The "road bike team cut" stuff simply doesn't seem to work for a damn. They are GSG pro fit shorts that I hate. I have a pair of Castelli Entrata that feel good. A pair of Ale' that are OK. The DHB thermal bib feels pretty darn good. The best is actually an old cheapy pair of way too big a pad actual shorts that came from REI as a house brand for one year only.

Those same REI ones suck on the road bike saddle. The GSG pro fit ones sucks on road bike saddle also.

The complaint I have with the bibs that don't work on the TT bike is that the pad is too narrow in the taint area for a taint pressure relief "TT" or "tri" saddle.

I'm going to hazard a guess this may be why the skinsuits in the pro peloton are often paired with more "road" looking saddles than 95% ISM and Mistica style saddles. The saddle may relieve the pressure, but the pad in the bib is gone by that wide!

So, that's my issue with comfort in TT. With the shorts I say feel "good", I can ride a TT bike setup position wise for pretty much 10mi distance and 25mi in desperation of a race for 2 hours or so. Longer than that, may as well go road bike and just have the comfort for more training volume and add intensity for the TT bike rides to keep them shorter.

But, it's that weird narrow taint area bib pad issue that usually kills it for me.

I just bought a fancy pair of Shimano S-Phyre shoes. I say that in a saddle thread because I've always maintained that the two areas where you get a huge return for your money are shoes and bib shorts. These shoes deliver, and no doubt bib shorts do as well which affects saddle comfort.

Ironically the most comfortable I've ever felt from a saddle-chamois interaction standpoint was in the first generation Pearl Izumi sleeved aero tri suit. The suit was super tight and the chamois felt glued or painted on me and so there was zero discomfort. Not even discomfort, but positive comfort in the other direction. I felt fine in the aero position on the first generation Fizik Tritone 65mm wide I think, perfectly fine chamois width between my pubic bones and the nose of the saddle.

I've been riding a lot lately with no bib shorts or tri shorts, to really dig into this thread and get some real experience with these saddles that I have. I feel like if done properly you can still ride aero, I'll report back more as I learn it.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HereForTheShirt wrote:
When I’m aero, I seem to have to choose between pain and sores on the soft tissue that covers my pubis bones or perineal numbness. In a road cycling position, I don’t have these problems. I ride “nose less” saddles like ism adamo and bi saddle. When I lean forward in to the aero bars and my pelvis tilts, I roll from the ischial tuberosities onto the more narrow pubis area. If I ride off the “nose” a bit, I’m in my most comfortable overall position and generate the most power and comfortable cadence but the pressure on my soft tissue from the saddle contact points gets pretty intense. If I scoot back to spread the pressure onto more tissue, it slowly numbs my perineal area. So I shift around a lot which I find annoying, distracting, and performance reducing.
Edit: perhaps I just need to take my bi saddle to a fitter that could help me adjust it better. The bi saddle has been so much better than anything I’ve ever tried. But it’s just not quite right atm

Have you tried the BiSaddle in the widest position yet? I'd start there and find the sweet spot, try to "hang" off the saddle from your pubic bones rather than soft tissue. Sometimes you have to wiggle around to get firm contact between saddle and bones.

Eric

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
160 cranks
saddle height 30.25 - 30 7/16" to BB center. This measurement is kinda hard for me to guage.

First sit down on the bisaddle with this configuration. Using the wedge that makes it more rounded and it's sitting at around 8-10degrees dpending on where i sit the level. This felt really good actually. Will be giving it a 2hr Sweet Spot test tomorrow.

ISM.4.0 6degree tilt. Been using for a couple weeks, and able to put out power just getting figety. Sore taint, nearing a saddle sore on the contact points and penis numbess

edit:Recorded on my gopro, but can redo on my phone if the fisheye is messing you up. If you download instead of using the web player they are much better quality

Thanks for the videos, huge help.

One thing that I'm noticing is that your saddle seems a touch high, which can affect your interface with the saddle. When it's high you limit your position options to one place sometimes which increases the load on your body in that spot. I'd be curious to hear how the two-hour test goes with the BiSaddle goes today, so let us know.

How did the 10 degree tilt go? I know it's wonky aesthetically, but a tilted saddle in conjunction with a tilted front end really works.

Eric

Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [jimjam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimjam wrote:
I’ve been riding the stock Cervelo saddle that came with my bike. Although it never produces much pain/discomfort/numbness while riding, I have had some issues off the bike - namely, difficulty getting/staying hard. I’d had a bike fit, but was putting in quite a bit of time indoors in aero position when I started noticing the issue. Bike fitter suggested it was an issue of the Cervelo seat being too soft and too wide, which meant it was basically flattening out under body weight and defeating the whole purpose of the cutout. Switched to a narrower, firmer Gebiomized Stride. Not exactly comfy but hoping it resolves things — along with some more time outdoors.

OK, so this is a serious thing and not to be treated lightly. In addition to working with a bike fitter, I'd talk to your doctor and really address the issue directly and decisively.

As far as bike fit goes, I'd ask you to hang from your pubic bones and keep the soft tissue off the front as the split nosed saddles are designed to do. Which saddle came stock with your Cervelo (nice bike!)? Keep us posted.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
HereForTheShirt wrote:
When I’m aero, I seem to have to choose between pain and sores on the soft tissue that covers my pubis bones or perineal numbness. In a road cycling position, I don’t have these problems. I ride “nose less” saddles like ism adamo and bi saddle. When I lean forward in to the aero bars and my pelvis tilts, I roll from the ischial tuberosities onto the more narrow pubis area. If I ride off the “nose” a bit, I’m in my most comfortable overall position and generate the most power and comfortable cadence but the pressure on my soft tissue from the saddle contact points gets pretty intense. If I scoot back to spread the pressure onto more tissue, it slowly numbs my perineal area. So I shift around a lot which I find annoying, distracting, and performance reducing.
Edit: perhaps I just need to take my bi saddle to a fitter that could help me adjust it better. The bi saddle has been so much better than anything I’ve ever tried. But it’s just not quite right atm

Have you tried the BiSaddle in the widest position yet? I'd start there and find the sweet spot, try to "hang" off the saddle from your pubic bones rather than soft tissue. Sometimes you have to wiggle around to get firm contact between saddle and bones.

Eric

Ty for your response, Eric. I do have the saddle
set to the widest position. I’m using the SRT model. I understand exactly what you’re saying. I get two good points of contact on my pubis bones (I think?) or maybe somewhere in between the transition between the ischial tuberosities and the pubis. When I roll into aero, it feels really good and I feel properly “locked” into a very powerful and comfortable position as far as my body and my saddle are concerned. After about 5-10 minutes though, the two contact points just begin to get a bit painful. My bones feel fairly “pointy” where they come in contact with the saddle prongs... manual inspection also seems to feel like they’re slightly different shapes with my left side feeling like has something like a bone spur on it. As a result, it just kinda feels like the soft tissue between the bones and the saddle are in a bit of a meat grinder.

Edit: I spend most of my cycling time in Zwift on my kickr bike. So I’ve been able to mess with my fit and comfort a lot as far as the bike itself is concerned. I also neglected to mention that I almost always just ride in shammy-less compression shorts. Most of my training is done in an hour or so at decent intensity. So I don’t spend tons of time in the saddle. And, although I haven’t raced in a few years, I mainly raced sprint and oly with a long course thrown in every once in awhile. As I get back into racing after a life delay, that will be the structure again. I say this because my race tri suit is shammy-less. And I try to train like I fight.
Last edited by: HereForTheShirt: Mar 30, 21 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HereForTheShirt wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
HereForTheShirt wrote:

Eric

Ty for your response, Eric. I do have the saddle
set to the widest position. I’m using the SRT model. I understand exactly what you’re saying. I get two good points of contact on my pubis bones (I think?) or maybe somewhere in between the transition between the ischial tuberosities and the pubis. When I roll into aero, it feels really good and I feel properly “locked” into a very powerful and comfortable position as far as my body and my saddle are concerned. After about 5-10 minutes though, the two contact points just begin to get a bit painful. My bones feel fairly “pointy” where they come in contact with the saddle prongs... manual inspection also seems to feel like they’re slightly different shapes with my left side feeling like has something like a bone spur on it. As a result, it just kinda feels like the soft tissue between the bones and the saddle are in a bit of a meat grinder.

You might want to experiment with the flat and angled positions of the saddle in addition to the standard setting. Have you done that yet?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t done that yet. Tbh I was a little intimidated by all the adjustability of the bisaddle. Once I had found a pretty good setting for it, I was a bit scared to keep fine tuning it especially with the angled top plate. I also added a little edit to my previous post... not sure how relevant the addition is. I’m wondering if I could find a fitter in my area with bisaddle experience just for that bit of experienced guidance. Ty again, Eric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
160 cranks

You didn't answer my previous question, but I think it's highly relevant for you.

Have you tried lowering your seat significantly?

I'll almost bet it will solve your problems. In fact, truth is most (but not all) of the folks complaining about no-seat working for them, have a seat that's just too high. Even if it 'measures' correct, if you're getting seat pain, chafing, etc., first thing you should do before buying anything, or swapping any parts, is lower the seat significantly, and see if it solves your problems. It likely will - and from there gradually start raising the seat until you it's as high as it can go without bothering you. (You will lose power if it's too low.)

Anybody here who complains about their seat HAS to be able to answer this question "have you lowered your seat significantly and tried it out?" before going further shopping.

If you've done that, but it's not solving your problem, ok, try the bisaddle, etc. But I'm with Dev - seat too high is by far the most common source of problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll lower it before riding this evening. Will update

Edit: Also @Eric, do you have my original saddle height when I left you? Curious where the new adjustments land.

IG - @ryanppax
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Mar 30, 21 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I'll lower it before riding this evening. Will update

Edit: Also @Eric, do you have my original saddle height when I left you? Curious where the new adjustments land.

SH: 755mm w/ 160mm cranks and PL 1.1 (I also have a note about 745mm off to the side)
SS: -30mm
SL: -8 degrees

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated videos.
The bisaddle configuration from the last video I sent felt pretty good. Some numbness still but not too bad. Front is a bit too narrow as my legs were rubbing the saddle mounting bracket.
Here is another video of it being slightly lowered, Still 10 degrees. Measured 29.5"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bh_d3B2NSMRMwdHzNOu8Bzaay2KDy0Hx/view?usp=sharing

ISM at 11 degrees. Felt really good as soon as I sat down on it. Almost felt like it was too low but I went ahead and did my workout. Another 2 hour workout. Still some numbness left after just like the bisaddle. No where near as bad as it was. I feel like the tilt is making it less painful to roll my hips as well. I suspect this will feel really good outdoors. I'll find out this week along with a Duathlon next weekend.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1En-iHFYSl8d0RRNK3mlcN-sADz2MJ3fQ/view?usp=sharing

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Updated videos.
The bisaddle configuration from the last video I sent felt pretty good. Some numbness still but not too bad. Front is a bit too narrow as my legs were rubbing the saddle mounting bracket.
Here is another video of it being slightly lowered, Still 10 degrees. Measured 29.5"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bh_d3B2NSMRMwdHzNOu8Bzaay2KDy0Hx/view?usp=sharing

ISM at 11 degrees. Felt really good as soon as I sat down on it. Almost felt like it was too low but I went ahead and did my workout. Another 2 hour workout. Still some numbness left after just like the bisaddle. No where near as bad as it was. I feel like the tilt is making it less painful to roll my hips as well. I suspect this will feel really good outdoors. I'll find out this week along with a Duathlon next weekend.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1En-iHFYSl8d0RRNK3mlcN-sADz2MJ3fQ/view?usp=sharing

Can you elaborate on front being "too narrow" and the bracket?

Saddle height looks good now, perhaps ever so slightly high... what you can do is tilt nose up gradually while lowering post to maintain contact point height if you feel it's too nose low and also as you learn to sit properly and get more comfortable with your TT position.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I messed up my saddle height that much since our fitting. I must have added instead of subtracted something wrong when I was swapping out saddles.

Since I'm basically maxed out on saddle setback, this bracket in the photo is what my legs are rubbing on. Only with the Bisaddle. No issue on the ISM.

PS: Getting a bit off topic here but if I were getting a new bike (def not this year) what would you recommend for me? FWIW I currently get team discounts on Spec and Cervelo.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I can't believe I messed up my saddle height that much since our fitting. I must have added instead of subtracted something wrong when I was swapping out saddles.

Since I'm basically maxed out on saddle setback, this bracket in the photo is what my legs are rubbing on. Only with the Bisaddle. No issue on the ISM.

PS: Getting a bit off topic here but if I were getting a new bike (def not this year) what would you recommend for me? FWIW I currently get team discounts on Spec and Cervelo.

I feel like if you have a Cervelo team deal you can't go wrong.

Weird about the rubbing on the seatpost bracket. My least favorite style of clamp FWIW. Are you sure you have the BiSaddle at the widest setting up front?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't have it as wide as it will go. That is my next step

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

Let’s start full wide on the BiSaddle and figure out where your pubic bones are at. We can go from there .

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

Hey just wanted to check in with you and see how it's going and how the BiSaddle worked for you.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

Hey just wanted to check in with you and see how it's going and how the BiSaddle worked for you.

Eric

Raced on the ISM last weekend as well as my long Tuesday sweet spot ride. In a pre race day ride I found 12 degrees was too tilted to remain stable when sitting up and taking my hands off the bars to take hydration etc so I put it back at 8 degrees

For the bisaddle, I found that with the wedge, I can only get super narrow or super wide(too wide for me) on the nose. So I took the wedge out and adjusted the nose too wide and then slightly in. Rode on it for 30min. This saddle is such a PITA to adjust. Kinda feels like sitting on a 2x4, though I feel like I can easier hang off the nose. Need more saddle time to determine how much numbness I get.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

that bracket looks like it can be turned around, no??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

Eric

Raced on the ISM last weekend as well as my long Tuesday sweet spot ride. In a pre race day ride I found 12 degrees was too tilted to remain stable when sitting up and taking my hands off the bars to take hydration etc so I put it back at 8 degrees

For the bisaddle, I found that with the wedge, I can only get super narrow or super wide(too wide for me) on the nose. So I took the wedge out and adjusted the nose too wide and then slightly in. Rode on it for 30min. This saddle is such a PITA to adjust. Kinda feels like sitting on a 2x4, though I feel like I can easier hang off the nose. Need more saddle time to determine how much numbness I get.

Thanks, that's good feedback about the BiSaddle cushioning.

I agree with you though, for me BiSaddle and the like make it really easy to hang off the "nose" and get into a comfortable and powerful position.

Eric

Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Aching Saddle [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my least favorite saddle clamping hardware...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a bike fit client the other day who came to me with a BiSaddle EXT "long" saddle and some "sage" advice from his local bike shop to put the saddle sides together as narrow as possible and the saddle very far forward on the rails.

After 15min of mucking around, before even getting over onto the fit bike we had the saddle front on the widest holes and spread as wide as it would go and the saddle about 5cm behind the BB, with some downward tilt. Client went from "I'm so uncomfortable, I hate my bike" (not to mention his saddle I assume) to "I can't believe how comfortable I am, I love my bike".

Point being, with the BiSaddle rails narrow, it very much looks like a regular road bike saddle, and my client very much had a road bike fit (on his tri bike, not good). Don't be afraid to get off your sit bones and onto your pelvic bones with soft tissue off the front... to do this your saddle will need to be well back, tilted down, and your pelvis rotated forward. When you rotate your pelvis forward, you effectively lengthen your back, so you might need more reach to go along with your BiSaddle.

Eric

Edit: Should also add that we used the "flat" platform (as opposed to "normal" and "rounded") and it worked well.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 5, 21 14:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next