BryanD wrote:
I did for a half Ironman and had no problems at all

Ditto. Today.

Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
thirstygreek wrote:
Yikes I'm 5'6" and 140 guess if be an XS, glad I saw this comment

Unfortunatly, there is no XS size.

Yes, there is. In fact, if it weren't for my height I would've ordered an XS - I'm still debating if that would've been the better size, since the Apex material is so stretchy and I don't feel height-restricted at all.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread. Very informative.

Has anyone had any negative experiences of using these in very hot/sunny conditions? I was very tempted by the Castelli suits but they seem to be rather translucent ot UV (SPF 16 from memory). I have very, very pale skin and trnd to burn badly when racing long course even with a full coating of P20 factor 50 pre race and a slathering in factor 50 in both transitions. I was hoping to use one of these suits as much for the health benefits as for the speed benefits but many don't say how how good they are at blocking out the sunshine.

If anyone has had either good or bad experiences from these suits from this perspective I'd be very interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ejls2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejls2 wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread. Very informative.

Has anyone had any negative experiences of using these in very hot/sunny conditions? I was very tempted by the Castelli suits but they seem to be rather translucent ot UV (SPF 16 from memory). I have very, very pale skin and trnd to burn badly when racing long course even with a full coating of P20 factor 50 pre race and a slathering in factor 50 in both transitions. I was hoping to use one of these suits as much for the health benefits as for the speed benefits but many don't say how how good they are at blocking out the sunshine.

If anyone has had either good or bad experiences from these suits from this perspective I'd be very interested.

I just received my CS Apex suit last weekend so I haven't raced it yet. However, I've been racing for nearly two years in various other CS apparel including sessions in the desert sun, and haven't noticed any tanning on parts covered by Apex fabric clothing - which is more than can be said for their Helium summer jerseys :)

I'll be giving the suit plenty of sunny use once my semester ends and I head down to the desert to train.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ejls2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have worn the PI Octane and black De Soto short sleaved tri top in races around 90 degrees and did not notice a difference vs a sleeveless top in terms of heat as long as they are wet. Got a pretty good tan line from the sleeves so I know they have a little sun protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how a slim fitting, low-neck jersey like this would perform in a tri?

Bontrager Race short sleeve jersey: http://trekstoremadison.com/...-jersey-195061-1.htm

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I've been eyeing this thread for awhile, hoping someone would ask what size they were with my height and weight. Since that didn't happen, what size would I, 5'9.5" and 135-140 LBS be in a PI Octane. I'm hoping to do some testing at Faster this year and want testing options(plus the red and black will match my bike)...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consult the sizing chart on Pearl Izumi's website http://shop.pearlizumi.com/...=1644423&outlet=

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure wouldn't want to try and put it on after a swim and also no way I'd run in it.

Timtek wrote:
Does anyone know how a slim fitting, low-neck jersey like this would perform in a tri?

Bontrager Race short sleeve jersey: http://trekstoremadison.com/...-jersey-195061-1.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both; that's very helpful. If anyone else has any experiences of any of these suits please chip in. I'm keen to do my best not to fry this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not yet used my T1 in a race, however, it takes me about 20s to put it on - full zipper and short sleeves help here. Taking it off is very fast, maybe a couple of seconds. I think the theoretical time savings from wearing the T1 as compared to a traditional tri top is more than worth the 20-30s lost in T1/T2, at least for half iron and iron distance races. I wouldn't bother with the T1 for sprint or olympic distance tris.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the T1 Stealth and I agree with you. However, you can reduce the time lost even more by just wearing a sleeved tri suit. Then you get the benefits of the sun protection on the run. This is why I sold my T1 Stealth.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to the possibility/extreme likelihood of potty breaks during half iron and iron races, I will onlywear a tri suit for sprint or olympic distance tris. Supposedly the T1 can be worn under a wetsuit, however, I have not tried this and I have my doubts. An aero Tri top that could be comfortably worn under a wetsuit would suit my needs perfectly. I don't believe this exists so I think the T1 will have to suffice.

Doesn't Castelli have one piece aero tri suits that are designed so that you can whip it out for a whiz?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fear of not being able to get the sleeves off a sleeved tri suit is nonsense and over hyped. It's really easy to pull the sleeves off, no harder than taking the T1 Stealth off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
An aero Tri top that could be comfortably worn under a wetsuit would suit my needs perfectly. I don't believe this exists so I think the T1 will have to suffice.

Anyone looking at the sleeved tops on here? Saw somebody posted the link to the trisuit before, but there are two sleeved tri tops that I haven't heard much talk about. Although I think I did see a picture somewhere of a bloke wearing one and it was riding up a lot at the back. Would be put off if it wasn't long enough, and also we haven't seen this tested but it DOES appear to be a long sleeved tri top that you can wear with separate shorts, which is what I'm after aswell. And like a baby chicken, it cheep.

http://www.virklon.com/.../triathlon?male=true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not pulling the sleeves off, it's pulling them back on after a whiz. With the Stealth you only have to pull the sleeves on once in T1. I have full access to my unit without sleeve removal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not true if you have a rear zip sleeveless tri suit like I have

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh? What tri suit are you referrring to, or is your unit on your front?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kiwami sleeveless one piece tri suit that has a zipper on the back. Therefore even if I used the Stealth, I would have to take the Stealth completely off and roll the straps down over my shoulders to go to the bathroom. This is why the debate over the Stealth vs sleeved tri suits is stupid. Alot of people have rear zip tri suits.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 10, 14 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, castelli body paint SS. I posted a little on this a page or two before. great suit, wore it for my first sprint this weekend. will be my trisuit for next 70.3 or IM. the top and bottom only connect in the back. the front and side have an opening for easy bathroom breaks. swam with it under wetsuit all the way up and didn't notice it at all. if non wetsuit legal swim, seems to be easy to roll down under swimskin and then pull up in T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I see what you are saying. I agree that wearing a T1 over a 1 piece tri suit negates the ease of dealing with bathroom breaks, especially with rear zip suits. I wear a two piece tri outfit for half and full distance races, so having the T1 on as well will only cost time in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will have to check out the body paint SS. Do you mean this one? http://castelli-cycling.com/...roducts/detail/1005/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Castelli Body paint SR Tri Suit SS

Great suit, but availability is the issue. I got the last medium from the distributer per my LBS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced Honu in the Pearl Izumi Octane. I loaded up my shoulders and arms with triglide because I knew the suit would be hard to pull up over my wet arms and shoulders after I unzipped my swimskin and pulled up the Octane. As I was running to T1 I started the process, pulling my swimskin down to my waist and slowly pulling up the Octane. After trying it at home a few times, I new that the best method for getting this very tight suit on (size L, I am 6'3" 185) was to get one arm in first, then pull the suit up over that shoulder and then reach back with the other arm and pop it up over that shoulder. I did it 100 times at home, but never wet, and it was tough but doable. By the time I got to T1 the suit was up on both of my shoulders but the sleeves were stretched down below my elbows still. I jumped on the bike and went to zip up the suit. To my dismay I had blown off the zipper in all the commotion of tugging and pulling (I really tried to be gentle as the suit feels very fragile and the zipper is very small. I ended up riding the whole ride with the front unzipped and acting more as a parachute and less like a speed suit. Talked to PI and it sounds like they are going to exchange it for me, but If I had to do it over again, I would unzip my SwimSkin on the run to T1, but not even touch the Octane, once at my bike I would put on my Sunglasses and Helmet while I took off my swimskin. THEN I would slowly start working that suit up over my arms and shoulders. It may cost 20 seconds MAX, but not worth blowing off the very fragile zipper and being pissed the entire ride.

Side note, running in this thing was a DREAM, no restrictions and tons of places to stash ice and sponges.

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply

Prev Next