Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its illegal to wear sleeves in a non wetsuit swim in ITU or WTC events.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:

Skin friction drag is simply more important in swimming than it is in cycling due to the fluid you're moving through...

No.

Also, why not wear both?

And, PI suit is 1sec/km faster than other *speed suits* then how much faster is it than your example?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be possible for someone knowledgeable to list data on pockets on each of these? Whilst admittedly less aero, I would feel naked without a small pocket or two for emergency puncture kit, phone, cash or something like that. I appreciate that some might say this kit should be on the frame, and I get that, but some of these kits do come with pockets and would be helpful for the layman in trying to identify which tops to hunt down.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonboy: In future please ask questions on the forum itself- that way everyone benefits from the discussion and can chip in.

> Do you like your Castelli stealth T1 top? happy with it?

I am happy with it. I looked at it first because I wanted to race time trials in the UK using my tri gear but they don't allow sleeveless tops and I didn't want to buy a dedicated skinsuit.

> How do you find it during the run?

I've never actually run with it. I think it would be fine, but if you've sized it right for the bike I think it will be too tight - can't run in a skinsuit, after all. Plus there will be multiple layers on the front (and middle of the back) which makes it harder to expose your chest as there are two zips. Perhaps arm coolers are a better option for the run.

> Anything you don't like?

Rear pockets are weird. Price maybe? Availability sucks - nobody stocks it in real life so you have to gamble on the size. Hand wash only. :)

> Where did you get it?

Chain Reaction Cycles. I'm based in the UK so this probably doesn't help you.

> Do you use it with Castelli shorts, I've heard that there is some sort of hooks or something that you can attach to the shorts.

No hooks on the T1. I think you're thinking of the 2-piece "Castelli Free" tri gear - they have hooks. (I wear it with my Body Paint 1-piece tri suit)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lamby: thanks for sharing that - very helpful. I'm also uk based, that is exactly how I was planning to use the Castelli. Are the pockets weird to the extent of being impractical (ie. tube/gas/tenner/phone?)? Any initial thoughts on their applicability to triathlon in the sense of either swimming with it on under a wetsuit or throwing on when wet?
Last edited by: rubberbullet: May 25, 14 1:54
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SamBetten [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where I can buy a medium Castelli Body Paint SR Tri Suit SS?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got one last week from my LBS: Endurance Sports Northwest in Washington state. You may be able to phone order.

Haven't raced in it yet, but seems great from trying it on
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:

Skin friction drag is simply more important in swimming than it is in cycling due to the fluid you're moving through...

No.

Also, why not wear both?

And, PI suit is 1sec/km faster than other *speed suits* then how much faster is it than your example?

For objects having a more streamlined shape, skin friction drag will represent a larger proportion of the total drag than for a blunt body. Basically, the more you reduce pressure drag, the more the skin friction drag term starts to show up. For an object with an aerodynamically awful shape, say...a flat plate oriented normal to the wind, induced drag represents such a small fraction of the drag that it can be entirely ignored. A cyclist, even in a good TT position, is a blunt body, whereas a human swimmer is a streamlined body. The swimmer will also have a larger wetted area due to being fully stretched out whereas the cyclist is somewhat "folded up," which would also magnifying skin friction drag a bit. The cyclist also has to overcome rolling resistance whereas the swimmer does not. The list of reasons skin friction drag represents a larger proportion of the drag on the athlete in swimming than in cycling goes on and on. Since I can't prove that it's the fluid that makes the difference I'll have to stick to some tried-and-true generalities. I wish I could do better, but a cursory lit review simply reveals widespread glossing-over of the skin friction drag in cycling. Hmmm......................It's also worth mentioning that nearly all of the research in cycling pertaining to skin friction pays more attention to the impact on pressure drag (i.e flow separation delay) than it does on the skin friction drag itself. I'm all for drag reduction, trust me, but on a cyclist the apparel is not the first place I would look.

I don't think it's difficult to demonstrate that the time savings from apparel varies from athlete to athlete. For some it may "work out" that it's faster to wear the PI suit with a speedsuit over top, for others it may not. It all hinges on your individual time savings and how quickly you can get out of the speedsuit. If it takes 15 seconds, then over 40k you'd come out 25 sec ahead wearing a speedsuit + the PI suit. If the PI suit is closer to 0.5s/km, then you're barely breaking even. If it's 0.25s/km then you'd need to get out of the speed suit in 10 sec to even break even. Maybe all of these times are wrong and the PI suit is 30-45sec faster over 40k. Whether or not it's worth it is also highly individual, and that's really my whole point: at this point in time I'm not going to spend an extra $300 (without knowing that it's on the highest end of that time savings range--it's additional complication, one more wear-item, and expensive.

Then, there's the question of opportunity cost...could you buy something else for $300 or less that would make you even faster than the PI suit?

2 months coaching?
A high quality bike fit?
45 min of tunnel time (not that you could buy time in this increment...)
Aero-optimized nutrition setup?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the small. Its very tight throughout the body and legs. The arms are not tight but not loose either. In a tuck I don't get wrinkles.

I can't imagine going smaller. I already feel like 20lbs of sausage in a 10lb bag.

Racing in this weekend in a Sprint w/ wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of wondering how the hell at 6'3" & 190lbs I fit into a medium...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I've sent them an email as well as to my local dealer (they can't get them) and national distributors for both Canada and the US. If anyone else has any info on locating the Castelli please let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a dealer and can get you one. E-mail me at grant@endurancesportsnw.com. I have size large in stock but can get other sizes in 24 to 48 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [flipmypancake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, email sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more to add: Virklon Short Sleeve Tri Suit

Their online configurator is pretty sweet. Just ordered one last Friday. Will post once I have it in hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's how you are built...I will need a medium at 198 and 6'3. Its a trim/muscular 198 and more in the legs...I think we would be the exception.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too because Im 6'2 and 190 pounds and I can only fit in a Large

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'1 170lbs and medium fits perfectly (tight enough but I will def be able to run in it)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesse Thomas gained 8 Watts with his Pearl Izumi Octane

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore my Castelli short sleeve body paint today for the first time at a race. Local sprint race, felt really good. Can't say how much faster it made me, but I did have a very good bike split. Felt comfortable and didn't notice it under my wetsuit at all. Will definitely be my tri kit for Thos season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my CS Apex Speedsuit. 6"2, 140lbs in a size Small.

Sleeves are spot on, look like they're painted on my arms and nearly reach the elbow. Slight creasing in the chest area, but that's something I've encountered with every single suit I've tried on - narrow position, narrow person...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone wear the PI Octane under their wetsuit with the shoulders on (i.e. not rolled down) just curious how it feels? Thanks, don't want to struggle in T1.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jun 8, 14 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes I'm 5'6" and 140 guess if be an XS, glad I saw this comment

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
Yikes I'm 5'6" and 140 guess if be an XS, glad I saw this comment

Unfortunatly, there is no XS size.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did for a half Ironman and had no problems at all

Quote Reply

Prev Next