Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered what seems to be the last pair of 43ASC from PD in the initial batch to the USA, and am excited to try them out. I built a QR V-PR last summer, which I originally built with the Metron TFE Pro bars (305mm size), but I could not find comfort on them. I think the issue was my forearm length (I'm 6'2" / 188 cm) and how much elbow I had hanging off the back of the pad. I switched over to the TFA cockpit, and after some fitting iteration, found comfort.

Now, on the indoor trainer as my experience and fit progresses, I'm finding myself wishing for a more vertical hand position (bit of wrist discomfort on long rides). Hopefully the solution will be in the 43ASC. A bit more free aero would be an added bonus.

-Steve
Last edited by: Windscreen: Mar 8, 23 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3 54cm with 100 mm 6 degree stem and 3T Vola Team Aerobar, looking to add stem-attached hydration since I've angled up my extensions which tilts my BTA bracket (I have used wedges to re-level the bottle but I'm not wild about that). I'm thinking Aeria on 1/seventeen stem/faceplate. I have Tririg Omega One brake on the front. What stem length would work to allow room for the brake and neatly fit the Aeria side flaps to the headtube? I think I could use a longer stem if anything so I don't want to go shorter than the existing 100. As you said the new HSF Aeroflow is designed more for disc brake I assume the Aeria would work better for me than waiting for the new design?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [Gingerhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could wait a couple of months for the 105mm Tri Stem (production has arrived at Taiwan office, now needs to ship out to distributors)

But the Vola doesn't do full internal routing for the brake cables so not really much point

So yes, a 1/seventeen in 100mm or 110mm would be the go.
To match your pad Y you will need to make up 16mm of stack under the stem or as aerobar risers
HSF Aeria definitely the better choice for your bike

This is the HSF Aeria with a tririg caliper (left the front cover off) on a medium Speed Concept 7.0, which had a 13mm shorter headtube than the P3 MKII (4mm shorter than P3 MKI). The 1/seventeen then sits ~14mm higher than the AU stem so you would expect the shroud to be 20-30mm above the bottom of the headtube on a P3, if you have the stem slammed

Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [Windscreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a 52ASC in development now, but that's going to be a year to market, so not much help if the 43ASC doesn't work for you
The aim being to provide a really relaxed wrist position with all of the cool features of the ASC design.
There won't be any lower angle grips (before anyone asks), just the 43 and 52 on the roadmap.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks cyclenutz - order placed for 1/seventeen 110 and the Aeria system!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my 43ASC installed and tweaked around on my bike fit a bit. In total, only about 3 hours of ride time on the trainer to date, but so far I like them quite a bit.

A few comments on these extensions:
- I wear a watch, and don't find the inside fin really bothers my watch arm much, but I do wear my watch up my arm a bit (~15 mm above the head of the ulna).

- I think a bit of thin padding over the wrist bend area, and maybe along the forearm contact area would help. I've got some 3 mm padding on order to play with

- I wish the hand grips were longer. My hands are pretty big, and I can only get about 3 1/2 fingers on them or less. I still need to move my SRAM Clic bar end buttons over, and hopefully won't have an issue pressing them. There's no way I could make wireless Blips work on the end, as in Slowman's article on the 43ASC bars. It would be awesome if Profile Design would ship the bars with longer grip sections, maybe with cutting marks, and allow the end user to cut them to length.

-Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [Windscreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback
For padding - we considered making something, but figured that the aerobar tape provides an option for that

For the grips, like most PD products - sized on the basis that I am at the top end of cyclist/triathlete dimensions

Fits exactly with Di2 buttons
SRAM clics didn't exist when the project was started, just the blipgrip. Grip is definitely too short for clics for most people.
What I'd suggest for AXS is remote blips with a holder

That way you get more length than clics.

As mentioned - future models will get longer grips
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 2nd picture is exactly how my hands/fingers look on the grips. I think I will design up some short extensions, 3D print them from PETG, and glue them in to get my bar end Clics up to an equivalent Di2 height.

Thanks for sparking the idea.

-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a set of the 43 ASC aerobars. They are very comfortable and fit well. The only issue is, because they are not round, I don't have a way to mount my cycling computer anymore.

What do people recommend for mounting a cycling computer to non-round aerobars?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
I just got a set of the 43 ASC aerobars. They are very comfortable and fit well. The only issue is, because they are not round, I don't have a way to mount my cycling computer anymore.

What do people recommend for mounting a cycling computer to non-round aerobars?

I will answer my own question for others that may have the same question. I used the 76 project mount. It works great. It looks like it would get in the way of your hands, but they wrap around the mount quite comfortably.
Last edited by: khanlon: Mar 30, 23 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Cyclenutz.
I have a 1 inch steerer on my 2011 Felt B12. Is it possible/ advisable to shim up the steerer tube from 1 inch to fit the 1 1/8 inch stem of the Tri Stem? would it be smarter to go with another Profile offering and get the HSF faceplate?
Thank you!

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have a bar with a centre hole to allow routing the brake cables into the stem there isn't much point to the tri stem. You would be better to save some money with the 1/Seventeen and HSF faceplate.

I've had no issues shimming 1" steerers to 1.125" stems
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
If you don't have a bar with a centre hole to allow routing the brake cables into the stem there isn't much point to the tri stem. You would be better to save some money with the 1/Seventeen and HSF faceplate.

i guess you made a small error here lol
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
i guess you made a small error here lol
Enlighten me please, I can't see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

sorry i read this wrong and and you are correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a relief, I was almost considering doubting myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It is a Felt Bayonet 3 base bar, so the brake cable comes out slightly lateral to the stem.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eventually* there will be an alloy wing basebar that will have the internal brake routing, if you did want to get a tri stem with a view to tidying cables in the long term.

*testing of adding holes is happening, but it will be at least a year to market
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your forearms actually rest on the extensions or do they just follow closely?

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, just a quick sanity check on compatibility.

I'm running Profile Aeria Ultimate 2 bars with the Aeria Hydration system. I'm thinking about fitting the 43ASC extensions, apparently there are a few coming back into the UK soon.
Note there are no spacers on my extensions currently only the pole holders and angle.

Will the Aeria Hydration and the 43ASC extensions work ok??
Last edited by: phil485: May 22, 23 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Official Fit Assistance for Profile Design Bars [phil485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 43ASC extensions will not affect fitting the HSF Aeria. Your A2 brackets (pole holders) and the HSF Aeria were designed together
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding on the 43 ASC for almost 3 months now, and I really like them. I do not notice any interference with a watch on my left wrist, for what it's worth. I initially thought I would want to add forearm padding to the extensions, and bought a few different hardness levels of padding to test. I never got that far however; as soon as I started riding outside I felt no need to add any padding.

The largest issues for me were needing to extend the cables on my SRAM Clics (Blipbox is mounted in a bento box on my top tube - this issue exists for all aero extensions unless you put the Blipbox on your base bars), and needing to make the hand hold part of the bars longer to deal with my large hands. Here is how I handled the latter.

I didn't want to modify the extensions until I was sure how much longer I needed. So, I designed and 3D printed a bunch of bar end dummy Clics in 5 mm increments. I rode indoors with these until I found the best comfort:

Once I was settled on the size I need, I machined a pair of extension pieces out of Delrin

Then I trimmed the extensions with my carbon steerer tube trimming clamp and glued in the Delrin pieces with urethane 2-part adhesive

Thanks,
-Steve
Last edited by: Windscreen: Jun 6, 23 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m curious if the 43 ASC extensions fit with the clamps that come stock on the rim brake version of the Canyon Speedmax. I believe they are the subsonic brackets. I worry that I will have to trim the 43 extensions too far to fit that they will not fit if I go to an opened ended bracket in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really tidy - nicely done.
We've looked at making something like that but it didn't stack up.
The 52ASC will have 20mm longer grips
Quote Reply

Prev Next