Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ejchet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike will come with short stem, you can't ask for it to be built with the long stem, you have to order that separately. But yes the truth wins out for your wife - the CF won't work for you, it has to be the SLX.

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Arthur,
You've given me some good elements with which to work. I appreciate that. I think your Pad Y is very close to 625 and your Pad X is about 482. Based on that....

Canyon Speedmax CF size Medium. That bike comes stock with an 80mm stem and it'll be perfect for you. I think the pads should be 2 holes forward of the furthest-back-they-can-go position, and should have ~15mm of spacer under the stem.

Ian

Thank you for the answer.
When you say I should have 15mm of spacer, it's mean that I need to remove the stock 25mm spacer and put a 15mm instead ? Or just put 15mm at the top of the stock 25mm one ? That's just to know if I need to buy with the bike the small bentobox instead of the big one to be fluch with the steam.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [P3aceFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you for the answer.
When you say I should have 15mm of spacer, it's mean that I need to remove the stock 25mm spacer and put a 15mm instead ? Or just put 15mm at the top of the stock 25mm one ? That's just to know if I need to buy with the bike the small bentobox instead of the big one to be fluch with the steam.

Arthur,

The Pad Y range on the Medium is 605-692. I'm assuming your Pad Y will be 625. If the lowest the bike will go is 605 (slammed) then you'll likely be 20mm up from that. You can "come up" either with spacers under the stem (lifts the whole front end as one) or with aerobar spacers (stem and base stay down, aerobar rises).

There are a couple factors involved in this situation: 1) I prioritize fit above all else. That's not true for everybody - some folks prioritize aesthetic above all else, some folks prioritize aero-ness above all else. I will never judge any of that because I'm a bit of a snob in a few places in life so I complete get that approach. 2) I'm using a formula to guess at your Pad Y/X and I could easily be 5-7mm off.

I hope the bento levels flush with the stem - that looks super cool. Moreover I hope you'll play with the arm pad elevation to find the spot that is 100% perfect for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was asking because I don't know if the stack 605-692 is with or without the 25mm spacer under the steam the bike have. I read somewhere that we can remove it but I'm not sure. That was I was asking if when you said I need 15mm spacer is with or without the 25 mm one. But I guess it's without :)

Thank for answer and sorry if I'm not very clear, I'm not fluent in English for the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, I've just taken deliver of a CF 7.0 in size medium and am thinking it may be too big. I have some data to go off but it doesn't seem to be the traditional "Pad X / Y" I see used in this thread. These are notes from a bike fitting for a road bike with aerobars that was slightly cramped (thighs hitting torso when on aero bars) but the saddle height seemed to work well.

saddle height = 76.4cm
tip of saddle to steer tube = 40cm
tip of saddle to brakes = 67.1cm
tip of saddle to aero bar shifters = 76.2cm

I've got the saddle as low as I think it can go, but am measuring it at 74cm to the center of the bottom bracket

Here is where I've got the saddle, can it go down lower safely? I presume the 0 on the back indicates the safe minimum height, but there is also a line with the text "Max insert length without bottle holder" and I'm thinking maybe that is the safe min?

And the zero I was referencing

I am just barely able to reach the ground when on the saddle, it seems higher than my old bike despite the (according to fitter's measurements) shorter saddle height

And finally here is a picture of me clipped in at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke

Am I off in thinking a small may be a better fit? Feels like if this is the correct fit, there is no wiggle room smaller. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [swimbikejon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikejon,

I want to give you a comprehensive answer. How tall are you?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes that might help haha. I am 179cm tall and have a roughly 84cm inseam measured with a book against a wall at saddle height to the floor.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [swimbikejon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikejon,

Let's start with a bunch of positive stuff: the size Medium CF is the right bike for you. I think your Pad Y is roughly 627 and that falls nicely into the range of the Pad Y on the Medium (605-692). I think your Pad X is roughly 483 and that's right for the Medium range as well (467-492) - side note here, the 483 cannot be achieved on a Small or a Large. Also, your seat height of 764 fits nicely in the Medium range (720-870). You got a blue one - damn that's a beautiful bike!!!!

So, let's have a complete conversation on seat height...
  • Looking at that last pic of you with your left leg at the bottom. Your seat height looks a bit high to me - even though in that static image your heel is dipping more than I bet it would when you are riding for real - accounting for that I still think it's too high. It's weird because in the pic above, where your right leg is at the bottom, your seat height looks a bit better to me even though it's obscured. Point is, your close, just a hair high.
  • I'm not sure that your fitter measured the road seat height the exact same way you're measuring this bike - that could be a factor.
  • Being able to barely touch the ground while on the saddle is normal.
  • And....this is the biggie....seat height is dependent upon crank length (more on that in the "fixes" bit at the bottom)
Generally, when we worry about seat post insertion it's because there is too little in the frame. That's not your situation, you've got a ton of post in the frame - in fact, us fitters are often having to cut posts shorter to achieve desired saddle heights. In this case we're worried about the amount of post in the frame because of the bottle holder - you're going to have to ignore that for now, proper seat height trumps bottle mount capabilities - my hope is you can still do that even with the right seat height. Also, ignore the 0 and the 1 and the lines on the back of the post - those are simply reference guides.

Fixes: some of these below are a bit mandatory and some are suggestions...You were probably gonna do all this stuff already but didn't because you were worried you were going to send it back. Do not send it back, this is the right bike for you.
  • Rotate the base bar so that it's level, or ever so slightly up. Then you can tweak the aerobars to be flat, pointed down (I doubt it), or pointed up a bit more, AKA "tilted" - all the rage right now and justifiably so.
  • I'm loathed to say this but I worry that bike has really long cranks on it - like 175s. Ugg. It's doable with those but not optimal. My guess is that at your height you should probably be on 160s (165max). I bring this up now because the bike hasn't been ridden and, if you're able, pull 'em while they are new, sell 'em as "never ridden" and go and buy a set of shorter cranks. And since you're doing that and I'm just gonna keep acting like you have a money tree in bloom in your back yard- get power on your cranks (PM me we can talk discount code on a set of shorter ones). Lastly on this subject, when we go to shorter cranks, seat height goes up the same amount that the crank got shorter - seems, on it's face, as backwards after some visualization and gesturing we all realize that's the truth.
  • If you've got a chain whip and lock ring tool remove that plastic spoke protector that's inside the cassette. If you don't own those tools rush to your LBS and tip them after they remove it for free in 75 seconds.
  • If you ride in the dark or dusk or dawn - ever- use a flashing red light on the rear and a white on the front and then you could consider removing the reflectors from the wheels (but your Honor, read the post, I said "he could consider removing the reflectors" not "remove the reflectors").
  • There's a hysterical Instagram account called Cat3Memes. They had a truthful post recently that said "I can tell everything about your personality by how you close your skewers". If you care about those who care about that make those things point toward the center of the bike (rear is perfect!).
  • I haven't seen you in aero but I'm certain the extensions will be too long. They'll need to be cut so that when you are in aero your elbows are either on the pads or just hanging off the bike and then your pinky/ring/middle fingers will have a firm grasp of the extension while your index and thumb are on the shifter ready to act. You don't want to have to let go of your hold on the aerobar and reach forward to make a shift and then come back to your hold spot.

Get back to me if you have questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent feedback and I am so happy to hear that I won't be needing to box this beauty back up. Will PM you about those shorter cranks. Thank you for the thoughtful reply!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian

My height is: 176 cm
Seatheight: 73,5 cm

Pad X to rear of PAD: 460
Pad X to front of PAD: 550
PAD Y: 470

Best Regards
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Lind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My height is: 176 cm
Seatheight: 73,5 cm

Pad X to rear of PAD: 460
Pad X to front of PAD: 550
PAD Y: 470

Lind,

Oooooh.... We're so close. I think you Pad X to center is 505. That's what you measured. It seems a hair longer that I would have predicted, but as you said you ride long - so let's use it as it seems logical/possible. The Pad Y (aka Pad Stack) cannot be 470. The frame stack is 515 and having pads 45mm below the top of the head-tube isn't possible on that bike or really any bike that I can imagine without some really crazy custom/funky alien freakish stem - and even then I'm not sure.

I'm gonna prescribe with a formula based off of other numbers you provided. I think your Pad Y is nearer to 616. And we're going with Pad X at 505...so, based on that....

You're a Medium on the Speedmax SLX. You'll use the short stem that comes stock on that bike with the arm pad mounted dead center and with 20mm (yielding a Pad Y of 615) or 25mm (yielding a Pad Y of 620) arm pad pedestal (all those bits come stock so you can choose). It's so nicely sweet in the center of that set up as you've got room to move up or down, shorter in cockpit or longer in cockpit to find perfection.

I heard you loud and clear when you said you ride low. And I think it's pretty easy to visualize that on your current bike with that fun and super smart "erector set" of a stem that it has. Keep in mind, on the Speedmax SLX medium, where I have you assumed at 616 in Pad Stack ..... you can strip out everything you'll be down to 595 in Pad Y and that's damn low.

But wait, let's say something obvious happens: "it's a typo and the Pad Y I measured is really 570, not 470" or "I remeasured and it's really 585" - okay then, the Small will work all the way down to a Pad Y of 565. And the small Speedmax SLX will still be there for you at a Pad X of 505 with the short stem and even if you want to ride longer than all that in the future you can get out as far as 550 with purchasing a few items from Canyon.

Okay, that was a lot of numbers thrown out there. If you need clarification on any of that - get back to me here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry of course you are right..pad y is 616.
So M it is.

Thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi There,

I am just in the middle of buying a Canyon Speedmax and we are trying to figure out the size, M or L. I am a pretty tall guy with a smaller torso, here are my measurements:

Height: 193cm
Inseam: 93cm
Torso: 66cm
Arm length: 64cm

I currently have a size M Merida Warp Tri 2015 (has sizes S M and L as well). I look a little bit big on the bike but seems to fit ok, I have posted a photo of myself as a reference, taken at IM African champs 2 weeks ago. I see points of improvement in position though, going for a more aggressive posiition.

My stack and reach are the following:
Armpad Stack: 647
Armpad Reach: 445
My reach is a little low, but I might be sitting a little bit too back on the bike. I see you might need a pad x and y. I am unfortunately away from my bike for like a week, but I can provide how I measured it, that might help:
My bike was standjng in front of the wall, facimg backwards to it. ( not touching, just close).
For the armpad stack that is irrelavant, but needed for the reach. the measuerements:
Stack: pady from floor - Bb y from floor = 95cm - 29.3cm = 647mm
Reach: padx from wall - bbx from wall= 127.5cm - 83.3cm= 442mm
Hope this helps

Inititally they wanted to give me an L but after all of the discussions and providing them my current stack and reach they changed their opinion to M. Based on the numbers it looks ok, itā€™s just weird that M would be my choice.

Would be happy for any input on my case.

Thanks and have a great day,
Daniel
Last edited by: zuller: Apr 24, 19 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Height: 193cm
Inseam: 93cm
Torso: 66cm
Arm length: 64cm
Armpad Stack: 647
Armpad Reach: 445
Thanks and have a great day,

Daniel,

Lots of good info here. If I had your seat height (center of BB to top of saddle mid rail) I'd be super confident. Also, I'm thinking you measured the Pad X to the back of the pad so I'm going to add 50mm to assume the middle.

Let's say for a moment that you wanted to recreate this position on a Canyon Speedmax SLX (Pad Y 647, Pad X 495). The Medium could do it but the max Pad Y on the Medium is 450 and that's with some aftermarket bits. I really think the Large is a better bet: Large Speedmax SLX, with a short stem + the aftermarket TSP and the pads all the way forward with that set up and then either 15mm (Pad Y of 645) or 20mm (Pad Y of 650) arm pad pedestal.

BUT HOLD ON....I don't think you should recreate this position. I'm quite certain that you should take the bars farther out front, elongate your cockpit, and run a Pad X that's closer to 515 or 520. That plus a little aerobar tilt and I just think you'd be more comfy. So that's a Large with a short stem, pads in the middle of the stock mounts (no TSP required) and then 15mm of arm pad pedestal.

Okay so....if you were thinking CF and not SLX get back to me. If the Pad Reach of 445 was to the middle of the pad get back to me. If you have questions get back to me. If I made all my assumptions correctly then buy the Large with confidence.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ianpeace wrote:
If the Pad Reach of 445 was to the middle of the pad get back to me.

Hi Ian,

First of all I would like to tell you that what you are doing is so awesome and helpful couldn't appreciate more, big thumbs up!

Yup it's the SLX version, (8.0 2019)
So I unfortunately cannot measure my saddle height until next week, all I know is that the seattube is pushed up almost all the way, 5mm left to go, and have an ISM saddle. I just have an assumption that the saddle height could or should be around 82cm-s based on Greg Lemonds calculation (inseam * 0.883)
Now the padx was actually measured from the middle of the pad. Thats why I say that the armpad reach looks so small for a tall guy like me. The elbow degree is pretty comfortable as is, although as said I think I can and also should go more aggressive (qualified for 2019 Kona, so performance is priority, not just an all out comfortable ride).
This is the info that I finally got back from the girl I am talking to at canyon, might hold some useful info:

" Based on your current armpad stack and reach value I recommend to change to our frame size M with a short stem. You would also like to have adjustment possibilities to sit more aggressively and you will not have these with the frame size L

You will reach your current armpad stack on our frame size M with an additional high stack spring kit, but I it not necessary. The high stack spring kit will rise your armpad stack for 1 cm. The minimum armpad reach is 448 mm and can be adjust too 556 mm "

Thanks again Ian
Last edited by: zuller: Apr 26, 19 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Canyon Speedmax SLX (Pad Y 647, Pad X 495)

Are you really referring to the Pad Y and Pad X with these numbers (495-50 for reach)? Because they match my stack and reach numbers and getting a little confused.
In the meantime I got one more reply from canyon, but these are just numbers I think you are aware of
canyon wrote:

Stack Reach
Your current position 647 mm 445 mm
Possibilitys frame L 628 - 681 mm 498 - 552 mm
Possibility frame M 595 - 648 mm 475 - 529 mm

Are you sure I would be more comfortable if we just increase the reach? Wouldnā€™t my arm become too stretched out? The current bendature of my arm looks to be good, never felt uncomfortable, although I might be wrong and could be more comfy. Or by tilting the aerobar we keep the arm in a good position? Never really thought of tilting it to be honest, guess that doesnā€™t really hurt the aerodynamics. Had a quick check at the top 15 kona male bike photos and yeah, my aerobars are super flat compare to them so could be something worth doing

But what I still think is that I could go a little bit more agressive, more aero. Wouldnā€™t that mean a decrease of the stack and at the same time an increase in reach? Would the size L allow such and adjustment in stack (if it is something we want ofcourse)

Thanks again,
Daniel
Last edited by: zuller: Apr 27, 19 2:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel,

It's good we're still working on this. Let's keep after it; we'll both probably learn something and we'll make the best assessment of your new bike.

You wrote...
Quote:
Are you really referring to the Pad Y and Pad X with these numbers (495-50 for reach)? Because they match my stack and reach numbers and getting a little confused.
I did a search for geometry for your bike (2015 Merida Warp Tri) and found this page HERE. They don't list a specific medium using t-shirt size terminology but they list only three sizes: a 51, 54, 57. And they show this as the frame Stack and Reach for those sizes:

In post #369 of this thread (the one with pics of you on the bike) you gave me your arm pad stack of 647 and an arm pad reach to center of 445.

It's possible that your frame reach (Reach) and your Pad Reach (Pad X) are similar: I don't think this image of you is dead-on profile but it's pretty close. The yellow line indicates frame reach (center of the head tube). The red line is Pad Reach to the rear of the pad (Pad Xr) and the green line is Pad Reach to the middle of the pad (Pad Xm). Because the stem is short (common/logical) and the pads are set behind the base bar - frame reach and the pad reach are VERY close to the same number. And that could explain how the geometry chart here says frame reach of 447 (for the 57cm bike).

In the photo below the frame stack is in yellow (top of the head tube) and it's well below the Pad Stack (Pad Y) in red so those numbers are no where near the same: geometry chart for the large says frame stack of 589 but you measured 647 for pad stack and that seems logical. So....Do I have the wrong year of Merida? Do I have the wrong model of Merida? Is the chart I found wrong? Are you and I confusing Stack and Reach with Pad Stack and Pad Reach? Where are we getting off track?

Quote:
Are you sure I would be more comfortable if we just increase the reach?
NO- emphatically NO - I'm not sure of anything but this: The best way to purchase the right bike is via a pre-fit on a dynamic fit bike with an educated, experience fitter (that's #1). The next best way to purchase a bike is by taking accurate measurements of an existing bike with a good position and using those to purchase (that's #2 and it's what we're doing). There are two more levels below this but let's ignore them. You're comfortable now, that's the most important thing. We should celebrate that.

Quote:
But what I still think is that I could go a little bit more aggressive, more aero.
I'm pretty sure that by "aggressive" you mean lower in arm pad elevation (lower in drop). Firstly, lower is not necessarily more areo - sometimes is, sometimes it isn't. You'd have to be in the wind tunnel or some facsimile to know for sure. Also, if you do go lower than this you are most certainly going to need shorter cranks: pic below, a hip angle is created (albeit poorly in my drawing) in red and hip impingement is at risk at the spot indicated with lame yellow arrow.

So, I can still act on prescribing your Speedmax SLX purchase and the best option between the size Medium and the size Large but first I want to...
  • make sure I'm clear on the Pad Stack and Pad Reach of your bike - vs possible confusion over frame stack and frame reach noted above
  • give you time to reflect on where you stand with these statements: "I want to exactly replicate my Merida position on my new Canyon" versus "If I thought I might move in some direction different from my Merida position I can see myself moving....where? lower in the front end? longer in the front end? higher in the front end?" I need to have a sense of this because you are probably gonna be near the limit of the bike (medium or large) in some direction so I want make sure it can satisfy you and I will know that once we confirm your Pad Stack and Pad Reach of the Merida.

Eager to hear...
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, Thanks for offering this help. Iā€™ve been drooling over Canyons since before they were offered in the US. Iā€™ve been away from the sport for a bit, but am excited to be getting back in. Below are the coordinates from my last fit. It was on a L ā€˜10 QR CD.01 - Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€ with a long torso and (relatively) short legs. Also, since weā€™re buying direct, and it looks like Iā€™ll be a L, can you substitute 170 cranks for 175? Or do you really have to take delivery on the 175ā€™s then replace? (I know thatā€™s not youā€™re thing, but was hoping youā€™d know)

Thanks so much for your help!

Arm pad Y: 698
Arm pad X: 508
Saddle height: 839
Saddle setback: -26 Angle: -3
Saddle: Cobb 55 JOF
Crank: 170
Effective seat tube angle: 79 deg
Grip width: 96
Arm Pad width: 196
Grip reach: 916 drop: -67 Angle: 29 deg

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Last edited by: type-B: Apr 28, 19 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

ianpeace wrote:
Do I have the wrong year of Merida? Do I have the wrong model of Merida? Is the chart I found wrong? Are you and I confusing Stack and Reach with Pad Stack and Pad Reach? Where are we getting off track?

The reason why these donā€™t match is because I am sitting the on the size M (54) of the bike but you were checking the numbers of size L if I see it correctly. And looking at the numbers and your detailed analysis the numbers match for that size (slightly larger pad reach, much larger pad stack).

Maybe just a background on how my current fit evolved. The bike was bought second hand, basically was just thrown up on the internet, size M so lets give it a try. We went there with my coach, had a quick sit on it, he said we should be able to fit you on this. Bought it and had a professional camera based bike fit done.
So even for this model I can imagine that L would also have worked fine, but there were no other options besides M. I do think that my current fit is not ā€œmy ultimate fitā€ and there is room to wiggle here and there and I am open for everything basically (I do get minor discomfort in my lower back after a couple of hours in the saddle for example, but with training it does get better). This will be the first bike which I am explicitly choosing because this is what I want and not just the bike that came across and can afford it and should fit.

My main goal is to have an aerodynamicaly sound position that is still of course maintainable on an Ironman which I might or might not already have. I will also most certainly go for a bikefit once I receive the Canyon. The bikefit in the end I got for the Merida was what they suggested. And in the current circumstances I think what you can and would suggest based on your experience and the information at hand on fit and adjustments to my current position I think should be pretty solid and on target. We are already getting way more things done prior a purchase then I did so far.

So what I have now is perhaps a good basis which is open for changes in my opinion and definitely not something dead on perfect. Might not be something we donā€™t even want to reproduce. Main things I have in mind:
- I am open for your suggestion on the reach and tilting the aerobar, looking at pro atheletes positions I am pretty flat compared to them with my arm. I always did have a fealing that I am a little bit slipping forwards on the pad which I would think gets fixed as well with the tilt.
If I saw correctly somewhere on the net, the new cockpit can have a tilt of 0 or 7 degrees, so I guess 7 would be an option. And what type of bars would make sense in by your opinion? At first I would say the J bend similir to my current one, but then you have the simple S bend, lazy S bend, J bend, L bend...
- with more aggressive I was thinking that I could have a more flat back, which would in my opinion decrease the pad stack and increase the reach as well, but if a hip impingement is at risk then it might not be worth it. I currently have a 175mm crank length, 172.5 on my roadie, donā€™t really feel a difference (I see pros tend to have around 170 nowadays). Would it make sense to ask for a smaller than 175? No preferences at the mo. This is just something that I though about looking at race photos and wasnā€™t explicitly discussed with anyone so far.
- I am also not sure if I am not sitting too backwards with the saddle and could be pushed a little bit forward, increasing reach again. My short reach to me just somehow doesnā€™t make sense in general (measured it multiple times), looking at everyones numbers here in the forum compared to their measurements. I am not that disproportionate based on my measurements and my hip isnā€™t stiff either, I can go pretty deep down with my legs stretched out (can easily reach the floor). I really have a feeling that padx and pady came to be from the fact that I needed to get fitted on an available bike and not choosing the right one for me in the first place. I would also be curious to here what numbers you would would cookup without knowing my current padx/pady, if this is even possible.
- And practically any other adjustment which you see fit to do.

What I have in mind currently based on this forum and thinking so many days on the whole thing in general:
size L with a short stem, probably a TSP, minimal spacers (no idea on basebar type, if it makes a dif, was thinking of flat since thats what I have now), rotating the aerobars and pads upwards, maybe a size 172.5 crank length. And with this setup I would have the chance to get a pretty darn good setup after visiting a bike fit.
But of course I might be wrong.

Thanks a bunch Ian,
Daniel
Last edited by: zuller: May 1, 19 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian- I'm not super happy with my current position on my CF SLX. I can shoot out my coordinates but I'd rather get some recommendations for fitters in the Midwest that I could go to and that also would have the front end parts (or could get them) that I may need or don't have. I live in Kansas City but would be willing to travel for a recommended fit. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm glad to have come across this thread, really appreciate all the advice and help you're giving. I recently purchased a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 so I'm interested in your recommendations around fit. I had a bike fit for my old roadie recently before deciding to invest in the Canyon so would like to tweak my position as much as possible before getting a professional fit. I used the PPS and it recommended me a Small, which was slightly weird as I'm 5'11 but it explained it is due to my short legs (Inseam 79cm). I think the fit is okay but definitely could be more comfortable.

Pad stack y: 680
Pad stack x: 470 (back of pad 420)
Seat height: 735

(This is from my Felt AR4 2013 w/Deda aerobars)

Any suggestions are welcome. I have a few photo's I could attach if they help.

Thanks!
Last edited by: Jogabonito92: May 6, 19 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, Thanks for offering this help. Iā€™ve been drooling over Canyons since before they were offered in the US. Iā€™ve been away from the sport for a bit, but am excited to be getting back in. Below are the coordinates from my last fit

Thanks so much for your help!

Arm pad Y: 698
Arm pad X: 508

Type-B,

If you're wanting a Canyon Speedmax SLX Then I have concern....The SLX is a long and low bike and the tallest the Pad Y goes on that specific bike is 685. That's 14mm lower than you currently ride - not out of the question but a concern of mine - based on that last fit you had. The Pad X of 508 is no problem.

If you're wanting a Canyon CF then it's absolutely a size Large and you'll fit beautifully on it.

Quote:
can you substitute 170 cranks for 175?
Right now it's like some fancy ass restaurant in Los Angeles with no name - we've got dozens of these things - no substitutions. The bike has stem options but it comes stock with a certain stem length - which is perfect for you by the way. It comes stock with what ever size cranks are on it, and, as of late, those have been rather long. If the future Canyon's goal is to have the customer select all those bits and then it's gets built and shipped after the buy button is hit. We're just not there yet. My advice for those who find 175mm cranks on their TT bike to pull them before it's ridden, buy a new set (prolly with power built in) and then sell the long cranks on ebay as "never ridden.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your input. Iā€™ll be going with the CF as the SLX is more bike than I need /can use at this point. Is there a way to mention you as a referral when purchasing - or is Canyon monitoring this thread?

Cheers,

type-B

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Many thanks for your input. Iā€™ll be going with the CF as the SLX is more bike than I need /can use at this point. Is there a way to mention you as a referral when purchasing - or is Canyon monitoring this thread?

Type-B
That's very kind of you to offer. No, don't worry about me (and, frankly, I hope Canyon is not monitoring this thread because I just told you not to by their $11,000 bike). When you get 'er built post pics here. I'll be eager to see.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
If I had your seat height (center of BB to top of saddle mid rail) I'd be super confident

In the meantime I arrived home where my bike is and could measure this as well, 82.5 cm-s. Not sure if I could go any higher or not, the seatpost is pushed up almost all the way up (0.5 cm-s left)
Quote Reply

Prev Next