Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could hang in the city after work if anyone wanted to grab a beer after work as well.

Good luck everyone and stay safe. Come back next year.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, this is the one day that the city truly does come together. It was unnerving leaving the office tonight and hearing sirens everywhere, as well as seeing two State Police troopers with M-16s at the garage where I park as the hotel connected to it was going into lockdown mode.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad Jee,

The Boston Marathon for the longest time was the most popular and best known Marathon in North America and perhaps the world - outside of the Olympic Games Marathon. In many ways, every other popular running race in North America that has sprung up in the last 30 odd years has tried to " be the Boston Marathon" - with that same, shut-everything-down-for-the-day attitude that the people of Boston have for this great race. This has caught on in other places, but in many other places not so much. Nevertheless, the model has always been, Boston!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_voyageur wrote:
Indeed, if anyone could use some help from a local, feel free to PM me.

Same here, PM me if anyone knows of anyone who needs assistance from a local
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Boston Marathon finish line [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
advice from reddit if you were in Boston:

Reposting /u/IBuildDrones advice to those who were present so it can gain more awareness. All credit goes to him. If you see him repost his advice in this thread please upvote his.
"For those of you who were there.
Please take a moment away from the internet, away from the trolls and away from knee jerk reactions. Try not to contaminate your memories of the incident, with uninformed views of the event.
Try to write down everything that happened today, from the moment you woke up, to now - starting at the beginning of your day will help to organize the events of the day, and no detail is too small.
Once you have your day written down, do not change any of it. Add to it if you like, but don't change anything. (Edit - Multiple versions of events are better than one mistaken version. If numerous people come forward with the same version of events, although it might not feel right to you at the time, that perspective/view of the incident may actually be the accurate version. You have been shocked, and your brain will not operate as it normally does; your memories can be distorted and jumbled, it's normal, and it's a coping mechanism.)
Try to include all of your senses when you write down your day. Smells are very important in a situation like this, they tell the FBI a lot, even though you may feel odd about communicating smells associated to events. All the things you heard, all the things you felt. All of what you experienced is important, and some of it will come to you in dreams over the next few days, weeks, months, and years.
Please backup and include every image you have taken in and around Boston over the last few days, and obviously of today. The offending party(ies) may be in one of your images. Offer these images to the FBI with your version of events. Please do not leave out any of the images.
Then, offer your views of the events to your local FBI office. There will be an anti-terrorist section, and the operator will put you through.
I hope you are well, and I hope you come through this ok.
Edit: for those of you worried about friends and family, and frantic because you can't get a hold of them via their cell phone; the cell phone networks may still be down, which is standard operating procedure during and after a terrorist attack - for obvious reasons.
Edit 2: If you have a dash cam in your car (I use them in all of my vehicles), don't forget to backup the feed and give it to the FBI also. In a situation like this, there is never too much information.
Source: Ex military, lived with IED incidents my whole life, worked in antiterrorism (in the military & transport) searching for bombs and so on."

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
oh no, horrible, not another kid. final mile of the race was dedicated to Newtown victims.

dave_voyageur wrote:
8 year old confirmed killed. Sickening.

I can't fathom this news. To me it sounds like a deranged person with a link to the running community. Otherwise why put something in a running shoe store and library near the finish line?
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran today. Finished an hour and a half prior to explosions. I was already in the hotel, texting friends and family when my phone went crazy. Had to turn the TV on. Chaos. And surreal. Thankfully my family couldn't make it. My heart goes out to the victims. Crazy sad.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
oh no, horrible, not another kid. final mile of the race was dedicated to Newtown victims.

dave_voyageur wrote:
8 year old confirmed killed. Sickening.

I can't fathom this news. To me it sounds like a deranged person with a link to the running community. Otherwise why put something in a running shoe store and library near the finish line?

Not to sound flip, but maybe because they were "near the finish line"? (Where the most people theoretically would/could be?)
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I was not there and have not been there in 8 years, so can't recall what everything looks like. Sorry for that.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts are with all the folks in Boston and their families. That's all I can really say.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Patton Oswalt....

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrible day... these things are all too common anymore in this country... very sad...

I pray for everyone.... God be with the victims and their families. God Bless the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't realize that people are able to do this sort of thing. This is shocking.

Where are we going ?

Hope everyone is OK.

-D
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
To me it sounds like a deranged person with a link to the running community. Otherwise why put something in a running shoe store and library near the finish line?

I know I was just joking when I first mentioned it, but I want to see Kip Litton in custody

He knows all about how to get around the Marathon Route in a timely manner, without being seen [and change clothes on the way, if need be]

That should be in pink, but when you think about it ... ???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a bar rehydrating. Boston Marathon jackets everywhere. Fuck the terrorists.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [BrianRunsPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone confirm the airport/airlines are flying normally? The train seems to be running again.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our 845 pm flight to NYC on JetBlue is on time. It all looks fairly normal here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the CNN reports I think I saw Team Hoyt coming thru the finish as the explosion happened
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southwest is offering flexible travel accommodations to travelers...

http://www.southwest.com/...STONADVISORY04152013

Last edited by: yimmy: Apr 15, 13 17:33
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [BrianRunsPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you are OK.

Turns out two of my sisters were at the finish line with their respective families, in the bleachers at street level right across from where the first one took place. My brother-in-law served in Iraq and Afghanistan and as soon as it went off, told them all to immediately start moving away from the area and into the Boston Public Library

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did too and posted that earlier in this thread but it was not them. it was a mother an daughter team similar to the hoyts

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saltamontes wrote:
Watching the CNN reports I think I saw Team Hoyt coming thru the finish as the explosion happened

Posted earlier, but I saw them myself while spec'ing at the 38km mark, long after the explosion had happened shortly before they shut it down.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [yimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to Boston people offering places to stay, to runners/families now without hotel rooms:

https://docs.google.com/...p;buffer_share=25647
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:

Good news story

http://www.heraldnet.com/...from-blast-in-Boston

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Apr 15, 13 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I was going to stay away from commenting and remain silent, and in respect of all the victims and those directly effected but the post from Patton really struck a cord when he put it on FB earlier today.

As a relatively new father I dont have the words in regards to the 8 year old..
Last edited by: Skipjack: Apr 15, 13 18:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next