Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up doing a solo run on the 17th through a concrete jungle of traffic, concrete, people and buses out of my hotel room in downtown Taipei. I did not feel like running, but I did because I could also motivated by Messick's message. Suddenly I found a park amidst all the chaos. A loop of the park was barely 300m, but there were retired people relaxing and children playing. Doing exacly what those age groups should in peace without having their world explode in front of their face. Like the runners in Boston, I was engaging in my selfish act, and like the spectators in Boston, these spectators smiled and waved across language and cultural barriers. They probably found it amusing that some crazy guy was looping around their park in a tropical sauna, while they were sweating in the heat relaxing. It occurred to me that people really do appreciate that other humans are willing to push their bodies and brains. That is why so many people come out to cheer at Boston or your local marathon...or even a foreigner interfering with their spot of tranquility of their park, to engage in the basic act of running.

I did not have any blue and yellow, but I did have blue and yellow in my mind. No doubt all of us have finish countless runs visualizing the final half mile on Boyleston. Many streets or roads have momentarily turned into the Boston finish line on countless training runs. The terrorist violated every one of us far beyond Copley Square. Definitely good for each of us to take that back.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 18, 13 1:01
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
We had around 500-550 show up tonight at my store, including some STers. Raised a bunch of money and will post the number after we make it official tomorrow.

Hey Randy, it was good to finally meet you in person. Great job throwing everything together on such short notice -- Well Done.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randy, great turn out! Loved seeing all the local support and everyone in their Boston Marathon kits from years past to present.

Thanks again for putting this tribute together.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBH, while I have not been able to get Boston out of my mind, I had Chris Gleason firmly fixed in there too and think of him and his family frequently.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_voyageur wrote:
Also this announced recently: http://onefundboston.org/

This charity's website was prominently displayed last night during the Boston Bruins NHL game.

From the website:

"Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino have announced the formation of The One Fund Boston, Inc. to help the people most affected by the tragic events that occurred in Boston on April 15, 2013."
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures of the two up on the internet, they will be arrested by today. MotherF*ckers....
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robertl wrote:
randymar wrote:
Devlin wrote:
I've seen quite a few posts from friends, fraternity brothers on mapmy, strava and other plotting apps that they are running or riding paths to make B's.

John

Cool! I hadn't thought of that!!!

Made a B today
http://app.strava.com/activities/49339770

I edited my St. Patrick's Day route a little and ran past three things iconically Bostonian / Irish: A police station, a church and a bar

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did a run on the 17th for the victims... Wasn't aware of the "run for boston" day on wednesday or else I would've added it to that..

The amount of pride I had on the road tuesday was amazing... like nothing I've ever felt running..

I ran quite a bit of miles and am wondering if anyone knows how I could translate them to charity miles? I've never looked into this... but I'd like to help if I could in any way

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to know what to say, after Monday.

People far more eloquent than I am have written far better accounts, of what happened and what the impact has been.

I was not really motivated to write anything down myself, until I saw a quote in another article on Boston from good friend Bob Babbitt. That got me going with what I hope is a slightly different take - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...ill-not-stop-us.html

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Medieval Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what credible source has the photos?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bostons Dropkick Murphys benefit shirts: http://kingsroadmerch.com/...id=4272&cid=1079

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest sharing the fuck out of this

http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/...the-boston-marathon/

Quote:
allow me tell you a little something about the city you screwed with. This town is not your run-of-the mill medium sized regional capital. In picking Boston as a target you picked has the unique condition of having a ridiculously huge number of completely off-the-wall genius techno-wizards co-existing right alongside some of the most psychotic angry, violent motherf&*^ers on the planet. I guarantee you that bringing these two groups together for common cause will turn out to be a massive miscalculation your part

This place will kick the screaming piss out of you, come up with a cure for having the screaming piss kicked out of you, give it to you for free, then win a Nobel prize for it and then use the medallion to break your knuckles. See what I’m talking about?

Boston produces two distinct stereotypes: Huge, giant geeks and angry Catholic tough guys. You know what? Both of those are true and you, you dumb shit, just gave them a reason to team up. And on top of it you attacked our signature event, one made up of exceedingly fit people who pursue a hobby of enduring incredible searing pain for hours on end. This is what they do for “fun”. You think these guys aren’t going to go to the ends of the Earth to catch you? Trust me, this town will never forget and never give up. We have a thing here called “Irish Alzheimer’s”- it’s when the only memories you have are grudges.

Pure fucking awesomeness

Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:

Quote:
allow me tell you a little something about the city you screwed with. This town is not your run-of-the mill medium sized regional capital. In picking Boston as a target you picked has the unique condition of having a ridiculously huge number of completely off-the-wall genius techno-wizards co-existing right alongside some of the most psychotic angry, violent motherf&*^ers on the planet. I guarantee you that bringing these two groups together for common cause will turn out to be a massive miscalculation your part

This place will kick the screaming piss out of you, come up with a cure for having the screaming piss kicked out of you, give it to you for free, then win a Nobel prize for it and then use the medallion to break your knuckles. See what I’m talking about?

Boston produces two distinct stereotypes: Huge, giant geeks and angry Catholic tough guys. You know what? Both of those are true and you, you dumb shit, just gave them a reason to team up. And on top of it you attacked our signature event, one made up of exceedingly fit people who pursue a hobby of enduring incredible searing pain for hours on end. This is what they do for “fun”. You think these guys aren’t going to go to the ends of the Earth to catch you? Trust me, this town will never forget and never give up. We have a thing here called “Irish Alzheimer’s”- it’s when the only memories you have are grudges.

Pure fucking awesomeness

Favorite post, so far!

I'd love to see Boston get ahold of those responsible...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was wicked awesome!

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:

Quote:

Pure fucking awesomeness
Sublime, mofo.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
what credible source has the photos?

Photos and videos are now up on FBI.gov: http://www.fbi.gov/...explosions-in-boston

Oops. A reply has been already posted. Disregard.
Last edited by: RichardL: Apr 18, 13 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [rmhick2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmhick2 wrote:
randymar wrote:

Quote:

Pure fucking awesomeness

Favorite post, so far!

------

......and exactly what will Boston do that would be so different than any other city?

------
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [rmhick2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmhick2 wrote:
randymar wrote:

Quote:

Pure fucking awesomeness

Favorite post, so far!

I love that. The only worse thing you could do is pick on Philadelphia and they would but on the 1970's Flyers Broad Street bullies out of retirement and these guys would personally take care of the perpetrator!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I love that. The only worse thing you could do is pick on Philadelphia and they would but on the 1970's Flyers Broad Street bullies out of retirement and these guys would personally take care of the perpetrator!

Dev, you ARE the man!!!

In some ways, I feel that we Philadelphians and those Bostonians are cousins in some ways; bound by our mutual loathing of NYC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Great post. My favorite part:

"And on top of it you attacked our signature event, one made up of exceedingly fit people who pursue a hobby of enduring incredible searing pain for hours on end. This is what they do for “fun”. You think these guys aren’t going to go to the ends of the Earth to catch you? Trust me, this town will never forget and never give up."
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"......and exactly what will Boston do that would be so different than any other city?"

Wow, you really don't get it, and no more explaining is necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

......and exactly what will Boston do that would be so different than any other city?

What an a-hole comment.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL BOSTON MARATHON EXPLOSION THREAD - Post updates on friends/family/STers [TroyNelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TroyNelson wrote:

What an a-hole comment.

----

It wasn't a comment but a question to a previous post relating to a quoted article.A question still unanswered I might add.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the thread. I saw snippets of President Obama's speech....two messages that I love:

"...you picked on the wrong city....."

and the other one

"....we will finish the race..."

How awesome is that? Saw some of the video of the suspects leaving the scene. My emotion turned from sorry for the victims of this mess to anger.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next