Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:

Also, Sketchers needs to give up on the running game. No one will ever take them seriously after the "shape ups" scandal. Lionel just proved Sketchers suck with his latest video.

FWIW I love the Gorun 7+. I'm able to get 600 miles out of them which was awesome. The cushion feels nice and they didn't give me blisters.

Skechers has a huge brand image problem. Even searching for performance run shoes on their site is near impossible. They were also really popular when I was 10 years old and have always had a kid brand image in my head.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

2) nice modern shoe you got there. seems a bit different than shoes of the 20th century to me

saucony a5 is a real minimal shoe, not modern at all , race flat.

anyways. i guess my curiosity will never be answered. is lionel a better runner from his XC days? i would like to see talbot get him to put in attempt again on track using race flats.

What's the actual benefit of getting back in flats for Lionel. Risking injury and such. The benefits of the carbon shoe seem to go beyond performance - injury prevention and such. You are literally the only person on this board that has this curiosity and attempts to ruin every running post with this stuff.

I'd love to know what your 1:12 buddy from the Real Triathlon #3 ran his 1:12 in...

I just want to make clear what a PR is. I don't remember my buddies shoes that day, I think it was the nike fly shoes without plate but still had the special foam. Although now he is using the carbon ones. I think it's degrading his performance as it's a crutch. Recently we did interval workout on trails where the shoes don't work, and he wore something else. I was able to keep up with him for first few.

Dude, just to be clear - you don’t get to make up new definitions for things just because you don’t like new shoes. That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

2) nice modern shoe you got there. seems a bit different than shoes of the 20th century to me

anyways. i guess my curiosity will never be answered. is lionel a better runner from his XC days? i would like to see talbot get him to put in attempt again on track using race flats.

What's the actual benefit of getting back in flats for Lionel. Risking injury and such. The benefits of the carbon shoe seem to go beyond performance - injury prevention and such. You are literally the only person on this board that has this curiosity and attempts to ruin every running post with this stuff.

I'd love to know what your 1:12 buddy from the Real Triathlon #3 ran his 1:12 in...

I just want to make clear what a PR is. I don't remember my buddies shoes that day, I think it was the nike fly shoes without plate but still had the special foam. Although now he is using the carbon ones. I think it's degrading his performance as it's a crutch. Recently we did interval workout on trails where the shoes don't work, and he wore something else. I was able to keep up with him for first few.

Dude, just to be clear - you don’t get to make up new definitions for things just because you don’t like new shoes. That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

It's not a new definition. It's science! " The ability to replicate same observation under same conditions"
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skechers has a huge brand image problem. Even searching for performance run shoes on their site is near impossible. They were also really popular when I was 10 years old and have always had a kid brand image in my head.

Various brands from outside the Performance Running market have tried to come into it over the years, and they have NEVER been successful - Fila, KSwiss quickly come to mind. The Performance Running Market is ruled by Nike, Brooks, NB, Asics, adidas and Saucony - those are like the big-6, there is then a sharp drop-off with some up-and-comers - Hoka (doing REALLY well), and ON. I would put Skechers MAYBE in this group.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 29, 21 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

I feel yah. If I want to see what Skechers running shoes are I look at Running Warehouse.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree with this. I decided to give the Gorun 7+ a go when I was looking for new cushioned shoes last year and saw a pro athletes review on them (Cody Beals). Figured I may as well try them, I had been experimenting after my Hokas gave me blisters.

But they are so tough to find on the website... the only reason I actually found them was because I knew what they looked like from Cody's IG story, and just matched up the photos. They have way too many shoes on there. I ended up actually quite liking them and still have them in my rotation. Really light but comfy cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

It's not a new definition. It's science! " The ability to replicate same observation under same conditions"

That's not the definition of PR/PB lol

Personal Best - Oxford Languages - the best time or score ever achieved by an athlete in a particular event.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Jan 28, 21 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Personal Best - Oxford Languages - the best time or score ever achieved by an athlete in a particular event.

so then the mile world record is 3:24.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Various brands from outside the Performance Running market have tried to come into it over the years, and they have NEVER been successful - Fila, KSwiss quickly come to mind. The Performance Running Market is ruled by Nike, Brooks, NB, Asics and Saucony - those are like the big-5, there is then a sharp drop-off with some up-and-comers - Hoka (doing REALLY well), and ON. I would put Skechers MAYBE in this group.

Steve, I think you forgot a notable brand in your list...

Please add Adidas to your list! Big 6 ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please add Adidas to your list! Big 6 ;)

Good Grief - Yes! Brain-fart on my part.

Thank you!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:

The fastest mile run is 3:24. And if that person wants to take that as their PR that's on them. But it's not the world record.

The marathon world record is 2:01:39 (I believe). The fastest time is 1:59:40 run for the distance(again, off the top of my head).

World records are set to certain rules. PRs are what the athlete believes they are. It would be interesting to know what Eliud considers his marathon PR to be.

For instance - I have run the run leg for our local relay race Ski to Sea. It's 7.9 miles downhill. Like...2000 ft elevation loss. Strava has me going thru 10k in 32:33. My 10k PB is, in my estimation, 36:01, but that's using logic and such.

Regardless of your personal opinion, the shoes are legal and the records are legit.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:

The fastest mile run is 3:24. And if that person wants to take that as their PR that's on them. But it's not the world record.

The marathon world record is 2:01:39 (I believe). The fastest time is 1:59:40 run for the distance(again, off the top of my head).

World records are set to certain rules. PRs are what the athlete believes they are. It would be interesting to know what Eliud considers his marathon PR to be.

For instance - I have run the run leg for our local relay race Ski to Sea. It's 7.9 miles downhill. Like...2000 ft elevation loss. Strava has me going thru 10k in 32:33. My 10k PB is, in my estimation, 36:01, but that's using logic and such.

Regardless of your personal opinion, the shoes are legal and the records are legit.

I don’t know why you all bother. It’s clear he doesn’t want to have a real conversation about it. His mind is made up, based on what the facts he think are right are. It comes back to the old, if everyone else disagrees with you, maybe you should look at your opinion and reevaluate.

When you start trying to make up your own definition of words, you’ve missed the mark somewhere along the line. You can make up what a PR means and then tell everyone else what the rules are for a PR, based on your definition that isn’t what the actual definition is. It’s asinine and moronic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
back in HS we'd run all kinds of shitty 5k xc courses. As a freshman I ran a 14:38 at JH Rose's 5k meet .

Next day my gym teacher who was a baseball coach so wasn't a "runner":"Brooks you crushed it"....
Me- "yeah Coach Carter I ran a 14:38 for about 2.6mi, that course won't close to a 5k".
Gym teacher- "but that counts"
Me- "no coach, no it doesnt"

Thank god i ran before a time where all the stats are recorded on milesplit or other online run profiles.....I'd feel embarrassed if that was my 5k "pr" on my profile.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally - even my strava profile shows PRs for 5k 16:55 and 10k 36:01, but estimated best efforts at 15:41 and 32:33. I want to figure out how to take those estimations out haha.

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [TurboVette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:
Same deal for Anne and the Canadian triathletes. They are sponsored by the Nike Europe or whatever. Nike US (the one that really matters) doesn’t give a shit about triathlon. Ask Bignell or anyone that works in their marketing department. They don’t give a shit about triathlon.

Canada is not Europe. FYI. Canada is in Nike's North America region. Managed as part of the North American territories within the North American region.

That being said, I agree that Nike doesn't really care about triathlon anymore but there is a bust of Dave Scott on the campus. Sure there is some small country by country triathlon sponsorships but the money they spend on them is pennies compared to the spend on pure running.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
I would bet my Gamestop stock that more people would buy Nikes because of Lionel than because of Gwen.

Good thing that stock will end up in the tank because this is not true. Gwen has a stronger following outside of triathlon because of the Olympic medal and parenthood. Lionel is huge in triathlon, which is really, really small.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of now Lionel has like 3x YouTube followers than Gwen fwiw
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 28, 21 21:52
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
As of now Lionel has like 3x YouTube followers than Gwen fwiw

Ah, I was looking towards IG & twitter (is Lionel even on twitter?) where both have the same amount of followers but Gwen's following is more diverse

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
This sounds like math teachers telling students they can't use calculators because they won't always have a calculator in real life. It's not a crutch if it'll always be available and is available to everyone.

THANK YOU. I turned off this guy's posts mostly for his misogynist comments but the whole war on vaporflys he and pyro wolf have is old. its like the 2% of climate scientists who still want to blame nature for rising temperatures.

Beyond that... I wish I could have looked into the future and retorted back to my teacher that I would be staring at a giant calculator like MS Excel for 40 hours a week. I wonder what kids these days have to deal with in this regard

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
This sounds like math teachers telling students they can't use calculators because they won't always have a calculator in real life. It's not a crutch if it'll always be available and is available to everyone.

Mostly we just want them to have some semblance of number sense. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw LSs video and I remember him not saying that was a PR on 5k.
He said it is a PR on 5k DIRECTLY AFTER A HARD BIKE.

So all of the discussions here on what is exactly a 5k PR seem not applicable for what he actually did.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine going down the 'its not a PR' line with bike tech...

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
His 5k PR was many years ago in college. You must be speaking of his mechanical doping assisted PR

I assume you're riding a Raleigh Scott Tinley Technium Tri-Lite on the bike .. otherwise all your times are invalid for aerodynamic/weight doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
It would be interesting to know what Eliud considers his marathon PR to be.

It's a great question.

I got to ask him about this, and it turns out that he achieved his PR the first time he ever ran 26.2 miles. It was during training. He's run many marathons much faster than that first time, but he's never been able to replicate the precise conditions of that long ago training run so the PR stands.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Various brands from outside the Performance Running market have tried to come into it over the years, and they have NEVER been successful - Fila, KSwiss quickly come to mind. The Performance Running Market is ruled by Nike, Brooks, NB, Asics and Saucony - those are like the big-5, there is then a sharp drop-off with some up-and-comers - Hoka (doing REALLY well), and ON. I would put Skechers MAYBE in this group.

Hmm don't know the numbers, but I would argue that if there is a "big 5", like you claim, Adidas should be there in the mix.
Quote Reply

Prev Next