Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel new video- AlphaFlys
Quote | Reply
Still had the Sketchers logo on his kit (I think), but going all out on a sprint he used Aplhas.....

Did he do this before on his 5k pr

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea Erin said no more Sketchers but no other information. Mentioned too that it's an old kit. I wonder if he will try for a new shoe contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His 5k PR was in Sketchers Speed Elites.

If you look at the chat Erin mentions that the Skechers Sponsorship has ended. Since he was wearing his tri kit with Skechers all over it, I'll guess that he's just trying shoes out and is on the open market. So if you know any shoe company that wants to sponsor him, now is their chance!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15:08 5k off the bike. I bet he could have beaten Goodman if he wore those at Daytona.
Good to see he's focusing on swim a lot. So transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11tj7RAEc0
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His 5k PR was many years ago in college. You must be speaking of his mechanical doping assisted PR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice to Lionel is to forego a running shoe contract and find your perfect shoe. You will get knocks on the door but weigh it out. Is the contract more important than winning Kona? I’m not suggesting a running shoe is going to be the difference buy I am suggesting being able to choose is liberating and that might just be better at this stage of the career.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice to Lionel is to forego a running shoe contract and find your perfect shoe. You will get knocks on the door but weigh it out. Is the contract more important than winning Kona? I’m not suggesting a running shoe is going to be the difference buy I am suggesting being able to choose is liberating and that might just be better at this stage of the career.

this.

Toro Performance
Last edited by: jlentzke: Jan 27, 21 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
His 5k PR was many years ago in college. You must be speaking of his mechanical doping assisted PR

Ugh we all know how you feel about this... Give it up

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes yes, you "hate" Alphas. Start the GoFundMe already and get yourself a pair. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Jan 27, 21 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes yes, you "hate" Alphas. Start the GoFundMe already and get yourself a pair. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

No. To set my 5k PR, I ran the same exact shoes as before from 5 years ago with holes in the toe box. Not saying he should go that far, but for it to be a PR - must be besting your effort with near exact same conditions and gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

No. To set my 5k PR, I ran the same exact shoes as before from 5 years ago with holes in the toe box. Not saying he should go that far, but for it to be a PR - must be besting your effort with near exact same conditions and gear.

for it to be a PR he needs to run the same distance in the fastest time he ever has

what a ridiculous opinion to have to suggest using the exact same shoes. does every advancement in track surfaces or shoes or bikes or swim suits or training knowledge invalidate every record?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget the alphaflys, his PR's were set on a SYNTHETIC TRACK, and not on a perfect cinder surface the way Bannister intended!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:

this.

+1

Even if your perfect shoe is only 1% better, it's preferable to take the 1% than the sponsor $$$$.

Ditto with aero helmets.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When I worked with Lionel and his Team on the One Hour Record ride, I got a bit of a peak under the hood at how he operates now, with respect to his relationships with sponsors. It's evolved over time, and he's now in a very different place than he was a few years ago. Last year with limited to no race-opportunities and exposure opportunities for athlete's sponsors, it was ALL ABOUT the other things you were doing - the Creative Content, you were creating, the Social media Posts - in this area, Lionel has REALLY made a name for himself, and mastered this idea of adding huge value for his sponsors AWAY from the Race Course and the podium!

He doesn't have to win another big races for the rest of his career - he's got this all figured out. He will keep striving and battling for those big wins because he's a warrior, but how his does in a certain race, now, is almost irrelevant.

So I agree with the premise here, that on shoes - he can use what he likes or is "better/faster"? The amount of $$ that he would get from a Shoe Sponsorship these days would possibly be quite minimal. Many of the Shoe Brands cut back on Sponsorship last year and going into 2021. Shoe Sales in the Performance Run category were actually DOWN in 2020 (the numbers were just in last this week).

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I think you have a very promising future ahead of you if you decide to become a UCI official.

Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who else besides Hoka (& Sketchers) is giving money to North American triathletes? Is there such a difference between all of the carbon shoes at the pace long course athletes run off the bike? Or for a person with the running inefficiencies of Sanders? Take the Hoka money and pay the bills. Plus, Frodeno is running Hokas, so must copy him. Even with his connection through Jorgensen's husband, Nike does not sponsor triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Man, I just got new running shoes. Sad I'll never be able to set another PR. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the video he looked pretty good running! While his stride isn't the prettiest - he's worked on it for sure and it seems to be pretty efficient for running off the bike for sure.

Could be Saucony or don't take the money and test with the Nike and Adidas products and take the chance that the improved performances makes up for it with prize money and incentives from other sponsors and know you are on the fastest product for you. It seems like the Nike vaporfly/alphafly, Adios Pro and the Endorphin Pro are the way to go for the fastest shoes - so it's going to be interesting to see what he does!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

for it to be a PR he needs to run the same distance in the fastest time he ever has

what a ridiculous opinion to have to suggest using the exact same shoes. does every advancement in track surfaces or shoes or bikes or swim suits or training knowledge invalidate every record?

1) is the mile world record 3:24 or 3:43? i mention both these times, since they are the fastest times for that distance.

2) you can get similar shoes still today of what was 20 years ago. and yes, FINA invalidated many swim records a few years back. too bad world athletics sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Nike does not sponsor triathletes.

This is wrong. Vincent Luis is sponsored by Nike. Granted he is World Champion, but at least one triathlete is sponsored by Nike. Believed to be worth several thousand euros per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

1) is the mile world record 3:24 or 3:43? i mention both these times, since they are the fastest times for that distance.

2) you can get similar shoes still today of what was 20 years ago. and yes, FINA invalidated many swim records a few years back. too bad world athletics sold out.

The mile world record is 4:28 set in 1855. Any shoe in the last 150 years is mechanical doping compared to the OG's. You can't just pick and choose what generation of shoes isn't mechanical doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

You are such a tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I know that you are trolling to get a reaction, but I'll play

Why stop with the shoes - so many things changed in 5 years. Hell, you are now 5 years older! So I say that to really break PR you must go into a rejuvenation machine to be 5 years younger, then get into a time-machine and beat yourself on the same day. Anything less than that is doping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I won't ever come near your lawn, old man. :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

1) lionel did his race on a godamn track which is what I assume is what his original PR was from. to bring up the severely downhill mile is so dumb

2) and what shoes do you run in? if you say anything but barefoot you have tarnished running races and need to set all your PRs without the assistance of modern technology that is the running shoe. if youre going to be elitist about a running shoe you need to at least fully commit to your bit.

im also confident the mile has been raced much longer before the year 2001 (hot take, I know) so how do current non alphafly shoes compare to shoes from the 80s? or 60s? or the 40s? answer: very different.

as for the swim records, yes the invalidated the super suits but swimsuit technology in the past 10 years is still far superior from the swim technology in the 50s. should those also be invalidated?
Quote Reply

Prev Next