Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:
His 5k PR was many years ago in college. You must be speaking of his mechanical doping assisted PR

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes yes, you "hate" Alphas. Start the GoFundMe already and get yourself a pair. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

No. To set my 5k PR, I ran the same exact shoes as before from 5 years ago with holes in the toe box. Not saying he should go that far, but for it to be a PR - must be besting your effort with near exact same conditions and gear.

for it to be a PR he needs to run the same distance in the fastest time he ever has

what a ridiculous opinion to have to suggest using the exact same shoes. does every advancement in track surfaces or shoes or bikes or swim suits or training knowledge invalidate every record?

1) is the mile world record 3:24 or 3:43? i mention both these times, since they are the fastest times for that distance.

2) you can get similar shoes still today of what was 20 years ago. and yes, FINA invalidated many swim records a few years back. too bad world athletics sold out.

1) lionel did his race on a godamn track which is what I assume is what his original PR was from. to bring up the severely downhill mile is so dumb

2) and what shoes do you run in? if you say anything but barefoot you have tarnished running races and need to set all your PRs without the assistance of modern technology that is the running shoe. if youre going to be elitist about a running shoe you need to at least fully commit to your bit.

im also confident the mile has been raced much longer before the year 2001 (hot take, I know) so how do current non alphafly shoes compare to shoes from the 80s? or 60s? or the 40s? answer: very different.

as for the swim records, yes the invalidated the super suits but swimsuit technology in the past 10 years is still far superior from the swim technology in the 50s. should those also be invalidated?

1) the mechanically doping shoes are giving similar time improvements of those people who run downhill races. That is why I brought it up.

2) saucony a5

Look. we know LS can get similar shoes to what he ran during his XC PR days. so the true test of improvement, would be for him to try again with similar shoes to what he used ... likely race flats which are still made to this day. But I guess that wont sell --> improving with just training better. need some gimmick.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:
synthetic wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:
His 5k PR was many years ago in college. You must be speaking of his mechanical doping assisted PR

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes yes, you "hate" Alphas. Start the GoFundMe already and get yourself a pair. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

No. To set my 5k PR, I ran the same exact shoes as before from 5 years ago with holes in the toe box. Not saying he should go that far, but for it to be a PR - must be besting your effort with near exact same conditions and gear.

for it to be a PR he needs to run the same distance in the fastest time he ever has

what a ridiculous opinion to have to suggest using the exact same shoes. does every advancement in track surfaces or shoes or bikes or swim suits or training knowledge invalidate every record?

1) is the mile world record 3:24 or 3:43? i mention both these times, since they are the fastest times for that distance.

2) you can get similar shoes still today of what was 20 years ago. and yes, FINA invalidated many swim records a few years back. too bad world athletics sold out.

1) lionel did his race on a godamn track which is what I assume is what his original PR was from. to bring up the severely downhill mile is so dumb

2) and what shoes do you run in? if you say anything but barefoot you have tarnished running races and need to set all your PRs without the assistance of modern technology that is the running shoe. if youre going to be elitist about a running shoe you need to at least fully commit to your bit.

im also confident the mile has been raced much longer before the year 2001 (hot take, I know) so how do current non alphafly shoes compare to shoes from the 80s? or 60s? or the 40s? answer: very different.

as for the swim records, yes the invalidated the super suits but swimsuit technology in the past 10 years is still far superior from the swim technology in the 50s. should those also be invalidated?

1) the mechanically doping shoes are giving similar time improvements of those people who run downhill races. That is why I brought it up.

2) saucony a5

Look. we know LS can get similar shoes to what he ran during his XC PR days. so the true test of improvement, would be for him to try again with similar shoes to what he used ... likely race flats which are still made to this day. But I guess that wont sell --> improving with just training better. need some gimmick.

1) that downhill mile difference is a 9% time improvement. not similar to the 4-5% of the carbon shoes. Next.

2) nice modern shoe you got there. seems a bit different than shoes of the 20th century to me

this past fall he ran faster over 5k than he ever has prior under legal conditions. thats it. thats his PR.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincent Luis is sponsored by Nike France. Not Nike International or Nike US. The Nike US or International is the only contract from Nike worth a shit.

For that, and with all due respect to the sport we all love. Nike does not give a shit about triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [TurboVette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:
Vincent Luis is sponsored by Nike France. Not Nike International or Nike US. The Nike US or International is the only contract from Nike worth a shit.

For that, and with all due respect to the sport we all love. Nike does not give a shit about triathlon.

I hope the Ironman World Champion didn't put that Nike symbol on her jersey for free.

Also, Sketchers needs to give up on the running game. No one will ever take them seriously after the "shape ups" scandal. Lionel just proved Sketchers suck with his latest video.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Jan 27, 21 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same deal for Anne and the Canadian triathletes. They are sponsored by the Nike Europe or whatever. Nike US (the one that really matters) doesn’t give a shit about triathlon. Ask Bignell or anyone that works in their marketing department. They don’t give a shit about triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike sponsors Vincent luis and Anne Haug

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:
Same deal for Anne and the Canadian triathletes. They are sponsored by the Nike Europe or whatever. Nike US (the one that really matters) doesn’t give a shit about triathlon. Ask Bignell or anyone that works in their marketing department. They don’t give a shit about triathlon.

Lionel is Canadian. Would that fall under Nike U.S.?

I am sure Nike U.S. doesn't care much about triathlon. Nike is one of the richest corporations in America who sponsor top athletes like LeBron James and dozens of other professional athletes with million dollar contracts. A triathlete is a drop in a bucket to them. But a 50k-100k contract to a triathlete is the jackpot. If Nike does it's research, which they love to do, they would find triathletes at the top of the list of affluent athletes willing to spend $250 for a shoe that only functions for 100 miles. Which is a rip off too me......unless someone like Lionel tells me otherwise...... wink wink to Nike. I would bet my Gamestop stock that more people would buy Nikes because of Lionel than because of Gwen.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Jan 27, 21 22:29
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Nike does not sponsor triathletes.

Tell Mario Mola, apparently he's not aware of this.

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Jan 28, 21 1:14
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:
My advice to Lionel is to forego a running shoe contract and find your perfect shoe. You will get knocks on the door but weigh it out. Is the contract more important than winning Kona? I’m not suggesting a running shoe is going to be the difference buy I am suggesting being able to choose is liberating and that might just be better at this stage of the career.

this.

Way ahead of ya´ gentleman ;-)

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
jlentzke wrote:
My advice to Lionel is to forego a running shoe contract and find your perfect shoe. You will get knocks on the door but weigh it out. Is the contract more important than winning Kona? I’m not suggesting a running shoe is going to be the difference buy I am suggesting being able to choose is liberating and that might just be better at this stage of the career.

this.

+1

Even if your perfect shoe is only 1% better, it's preferable to take the 1% than the sponsor $$$$.

Ditto with aero helmets.

I'd never make it as a pro triathlete... ALL of my equipment choices would be what's best for me, not what's best for my sponsors.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree!
It’s also an Olympic year twice. Olympic years are always bad years to look for a new contract with one of the majors. Molly Siedel was on a starter contract with Saucony and she was fortunate to land a large contract with Puma (new money to running) but as you know that’s rare.

Lionel is right up there with Triathlon Taren in terms of YouTub subscribers and therefore revenue. That has to change the metrics and give him some piece of mind. You can also see the switch in his videos. He’s bought into the data which clearly shows him, tell us everything flat out, worts and all. His latest rant about swimming has to garner love from most triathletes. Most hate swimming right? Given the response here on the Alpha Fly maybe an added avenue for him is to talk running shoes from his perspective. There are revenue streams from retailers in running shoes if the demand shows it. He’s got to have a love-hate relationship with running shoes too. I think that sells right now and it’s pure.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:

I am sure Nike U.S. doesn't care much about triathlon. Nike is one of the richest corporations in America who sponsor top athletes like LeBron James and dozens of other professional athletes with million dollar contracts. A triathlete is a drop in a bucket to them. But a 50k-100k contract to a triathlete is the jackpot. If Nike does it's research, which they love to do, they would find triathletes at the top of the list of affluent athletes willing to spend $250 for a shoe that only functions for 100 miles. Which is a rip off too me......unless someone like Lionel tells me otherwise...... wink wink to Nike. I would bet my Gamestop stock that more people would buy Nikes because of Lionel than because of Gwen.

Who's Gwen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is true. Nike USA is the only real one you want to be sponsored by. These other athletes are making very very little money being with Nike Europe etc.. But sometimes that does not matter just having the swoosh on your chest is so powerful in not only the product but also getting other sponsors. With that being said Nike does not give two flips about triathlon. Even having big connections at Nike like noted above (Gwen's Husband who manages Lionel.) Will be interesting to see how this shoe thing unfolds. I will say one thing about brands and Lionel. He is the most Loyal athlete I have seen i this history of this sport and I have worked with a few.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
lyla wrote:
Nike does not sponsor triathletes.

This is wrong. Vincent Luis is sponsored by Nike. Granted he is World Champion, but at least one triathlete is sponsored by Nike. Believed to be worth several thousand euros per year.

Cam Wurf is definitely sponsored by Nike. He's even in the training team with Kipchoge I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
Lionel is Canadian. Would that fall under Nike U.S.?

Nike is organized under five regions currently: North America, EMEA, Greater China, Asia Pacifc & Latin America, and Global Division.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he is not sponsored. he has friends in high places.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:

2) nice modern shoe you got there. seems a bit different than shoes of the 20th century to me

saucony a5 is a real minimal shoe, not modern at all , race flat.

anyways. i guess my curiosity will never be answered. is lionel a better runner from his XC days? i would like to see talbot get him to put in attempt again on track using race flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is true. Nike USA is the only real one you want to be sponsored by. These other athletes are making very very little money being with Nike Europe etc.. But sometimes that does not matter just having the swoosh on your chest is so powerful in not only the product but also getting other sponsors. With that being said Nike does not give two flips about triathlon

100%

These Nike "deals" that people see via a logo, are most likely regional/local Nike partnerships with the regional offices and representatives in that area or country. They may not amount to much. Product, some small $$, typically performance or media exposure bonus specific

Nike has not really cared Corporately about Triathlon for a long time.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

anyways. i guess my curiosity will never be answered. is lionel a better runner from his XC days? i would like to see talbot get him to put in attempt again on track using race flats.

What's the actual benefit of getting back in flats for Lionel. Risking injury and such. The benefits of the carbon shoe seem to go beyond performance - injury prevention and such. You are literally the only person on this board that has this curiosity and attempts to ruin every running post with this stuff.

I'd love to know what your 1:12 buddy from the Real Triathlon #3 ran his 1:12 in...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s bought into the data which clearly shows him, tell us everything flat out, worts and all.

That's nothing new, really. He's always been about that - All info, all the time.

He was like this years ago when I would do interviews with him after races or at other events. When I would ask him a question, he would never hold back! That IS the attraction!

My sense is that now this is being brought more to the fore, with the always excellent videography work of Talbot Cox. This is Lionel's EDGE. The genuineness!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
he is not sponsored. he has friends in high places.

Gotta give credit where credit is due - I do think a large amount of LS's popularity stems directly from your (talbot's) great camera work and videography. It really draws you in and is presented in storylike form that's very accessible to both new and old fans.

Great work, for not only LS but all the athletes you work with!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stefan Daniel is a Canadian triathlete and sponsored by Nike. I tried to put you two together a year ago as his story is amazing. Never heard back from you. You should check him out. I am quite sure there would be mutual synergies. He has a very bright long term future in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel new video- AlphaFlys [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

What's the actual benefit of getting back in flats for Lionel. Risking injury and such. The benefits of the carbon shoe seem to go beyond performance - injury prevention and such. You are literally the only person on this board that has this curiosity and attempts to ruin every running post with this stuff.

I'd love to know what your 1:12 buddy from the Real Triathlon #3 ran his 1:12 in...

I just want to make clear what a PR is. I don't remember my buddies shoes that day, I think it was the nike fly shoes without plate but still had the special foam. Although now he is using the carbon ones. I think it's degrading his performance as it's a crutch. Recently we did interval workout on trails where the shoes don't work, and he wore something else. I was able to keep up with him for first few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dfru wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

I just want to make clear what a PR is. I don't remember my buddies shoes that day, I think it was the nike fly shoes without plate but still had the special foam. Although now he is using the carbon ones. I think it's degrading his performance as it's a crutch. Recently we did interval workout on trails where the shoes don't work, and he wore something else. I was able to keep up with him for first few.

See, this is where you lose your argument - a PR is a person's best time for a distance. And your details are sketchy - the Nike Zoom fly have a plate but not the foam - the foam being the part that makes the most difference it seems. I'm sure your friend appreciates your disqualifying all of his hard work as irrelevant. And they aren't making so much difference that all of a sudden you can keep up on intervals. Come on...

Mostly, just let it die. Carbon shoes are here to stay - and we are ALL aware of your feelings on them.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like math teachers telling students they can't use calculators because they won't always have a calculator in real life. It's not a crutch if it'll always be available and is available to everyone.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply

Prev Next