Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friday stage(tomorrow) and next two days are KEY, time to suffer. I wonder if the lack of work from michelton to lead the peloton would have some consecuences or not
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [goldenkidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldenkidd wrote:
friday stage(tomorrow) and next two days are KEY, time to suffer. I wonder if the lack of work from michelton to lead the peloton would have some consecuences or not

It wasn't on the NBC broadcast, but articles mention that MTS were working hard to control the break yesterday in the first 100 km because there were real threats (including Pinot), but then handed it over to Movistar to do the rest of the work as they had to protect Quintana and Valverde. They basically said they couldn't do it on their own, which is true, but all you saw on TV was Movistar at the front.

Today MTS probably didn't mind losing the leader's jersey to Herrada as he's not so much of a real threat. I bet that both MTS and Movistar want some relief from chasing the break and I bet they purposely gave Herrada 3 minutes net. It is just enough where he's not *really* a threat overall, but enough that Confidis should send their team to the front this weekend. I can't see Herada losing 3 minutes tomorrow as the decisive part of the stage is only 4 km, so Confidis should still be at the front Saturday with a 1-2 minute lead at worst...which could also mean that they have to work at the front for at least part of Sunday too when the real GC teams then rally their troops up.

It's a small gamble, but like Carl mentioned...these teams look gassed and the racing is only going to get harder.
Last edited by: Jason N: Sep 6, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colbrelli is a good pick. He’s been oh-so-close.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 6, 18 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
It wasn't on the NBC broadcast, but articles mention that MTS were working hard to control the break yesterday in the first 100 km because there were real threats (including Pinot), but then handed it over to Movistar to do the rest of the work as they had to protect Quintana and Valverde. They basically said they couldn't do it on their own, which is true, but all you saw on TV was Movistar at the front.

Today MTS probably didn't mind losing the leader's jersey to Herrada as he's not so much of a real threat. I bet that both MTS and Movistar want some relief from chasing the break and I bet they purposely gave Herrada 3 minutes net. It is just enough where he's not *really* a threat overall, but enough that Confidis should send their team to the front this weekend. I can't see Herada losing 3 minutes tomorrow as the decisive part of the stage is only 4 km, so Confidis should still be at the front Saturday with a 1-2 minute lead at worst...which could also mean that they have to work at the front for at least part of Sunday too when the real GC teams then rally their troops up.

It's a small gamble, but like Carl mentioned...these teams look gassed and the racing is only going to get harder.
Nairon in an interview said the same thing: MTS did the work at the first part fo the stage then movistar. i cna understand MTS does not have a team to do a skytrain tactic, but thats the taxes you have to paid if you want/have the lead jersey, you want the lamborgini you paid all aditionals that comes with it. I think Herrada is dangerous, its not a guy to keep underpressure all time but you should nto give him 5 mn, even Nairo metioned at the same interview. La vuelta have this unique characteristhic that allows drama and spectacle from other sources: cuts due to winds, people bonking more often, leaders falling down due to being tired,stage endings with amazing results, dark horses making special presence at third week, unexpecte stage/race winners. Due to being the last big race and being done at the end of the year, people goes to the vuelta tired after racing so much time, so much km in their legs and la vuelta is the last chance to make it big in a big stage so all this sums up for a special tour. Cofidis have to pay its taxes now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1/3 of Peloton in breakaway, including what appears to be nearly entire Lotto team.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
1/3 of Peloton in breakaway, including what appears to be nearly entire Lotto team.

I was excited for a second until I realized you meant Soudal.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Majka and Henao in there too, might have a chance to stick it.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 7, 18 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be close for Herrada. It’s so fucking steep...fans look to be respectful at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always had a soft spot for the old Euskatel Euskadi mountain goats, and it's nice to see version 2.0 of the team start to come together nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nairo looked solid today. Tomorrow has potential for some long range attacks out of the GC group to bridge up to teammates. Without the Sky train to shut these type of moves down...I hope someone at least has the courage to try. Can't blame them if they don't though...I really don't know how these guys survive this type of brutality.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, me too. But I also cringe a little when a guy with no real results from small Spanish team lays the wood to everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked like the Quintana of old, and that he might be ready to put it on Yates. How do these two stack up against each other in the chrono?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local boy. Love it. Tejay Q looks good.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quintana didn't commit to it. He'd have been better off staying put and following. Yates played it right.
Uran hung very tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The finale was so steep that it just seemed like a day for many to limit losses. Wonder who will have anything left in tank tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rigo tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ve got my vote, still pulling to Rigo to take the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
You’ve got my vote, still pulling to Rigo to take the whole thing.
Would like to see Rigo do it but I don’t think he can punch up these climbs. He rode like Tom D. yesterday which is to say, great. But Astana is already hammering away for Lopez who is not ever going to be confused with a brilliant strategist but he will attack hard. I see Yates and Tejay Q following him, with Rigo hanging tough again. Valverde needs to just go away but probably will not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I predicted with my heart with Rigo. Today I eat crow. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devil his due, Valverde clearly tried to ride for Quintana which must be super frustrating. Quintana over thinks it, Lopez under thinks it.
Good to see Pinot win. I don't think Q has many fans in the peloton, def not Lopez or Yates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figure Valverde gets the Red Jersey after Tuesday, but will he have enough of a gap on Yates to be able to hold it after Stage 19? (And/or will Yates run out of gas again?)

Should be a good last week!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Devil his due, Valverde clearly tried to ride for Quintana which must be super frustrating. Quintana over thinks it, Lopez under thinks it.
Good to see Pinot win. I don't think Q has many fans in the peloton, def not Lopez or Yates.

Yates asked Q to help out on the catch, Q said nope.
The tuesday TT is gonna be huge, Yates will lose time, Valverde, Kruijswijk, Uran will gain.
Could this be Valverde's year?
Pinot nOw has atleast 1 win in all of the GTs

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice win by Pinot, he had one coming.

Agreed about Valverde doing some good work today. He plays the teammate role well.

Not sure why but I can’t root for Yates. And with that helmet and goggle glasses he looks like he got lost on the way to a ski holiday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm getting tired of yates complaining about movistar not chasing to defend his jersey... not sure if he is going overboard with tactical games, is really worried about him/his team imploding again, is a typical millennial who expects everything done for him, or just has no idea about or respect for the responsibilities of leading a GT.
its expected to get some disputes over who does the work but yates & MS seem to be continually looking to movistar to do all the work in this vuelta and do the work that MS want done.

and yeah, those glasses don't inspire me to support him either!

of those in strong contention i think i'd have to root for lopez. maybe a storming comeback from pinot?
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MS has done a good job of doing very little work as a team thus far, but yesterday Yates needed to just ride his ride. Made no sense to look to Quintana. Given the tt nature of the race at that point I'm always wondering a little bit about the whole do the work thing. I think if a rider at that point with 1-2-3 k uphill to go just puts his head down and rides, he probably saves time. These jumps and follows and attacks don't really add up to much unless the stage itself is at stake. Pinot is already up the road, so get to the line as fast as possible and stop worrying about who you drag with you. They either hang or they don't. I guess I'm underestimating the benefit of following, even at 13%. In those situations I was always just thinking survival and don't fall over sideways.
Quote Reply

Prev Next