Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another hot day of active racing....seems like the Vuelta, especially this year is about free range stage hunting and less GC stuff, for many anyway........my biggest concern is that Carlton Kirby bursts into tears if things don't go well for Sky...........
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think deMarchi is sandbagging...no he's cramping Clarke should get it anyway
Last edited by: McNulty: Aug 29, 18 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
especially this year is about free range stage hunting and less GC stuff, for many anyway

Loving watching trackie Clarke here.

Edit: Yeah, that was predictable.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 29, 18 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimension, EF... now Katusha needs to get one at last chance saloon.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally caught up with the first 4 stages last night. Sucks to see Porte and Nibali already out of it and Sagan not looking like himself...but not all that surprised either. Must be hard to be on form in terms of fitness, injury, and health (sickness) this late in the season when this GT wasn't your focus.

In any case, Yates picks up 25 seconds yesterday. Seemed like a great move considering most of his time gains were because the group behind were dicking around...not that Yates burned 5 matches. Had I not seen the Giro, I would have said it was brilliant...but I did see the Giro...so now I kind of wonder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
another hot day of active racing....seems like the Vuelta, especially this year is about free range stage hunting and less GC stuff, for many anyway........my biggest concern is that Carlton Kirby bursts into tears if things don't go well for Sky...........

I love Kirby!!! Really, for some reason he is soothing to me personally.

Just watched the first 5 stages, this might be Kiwato's race.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Aug 29, 18 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I love Kirby!!! Really, for some reason he is soothing to me personally.

Kirby does a great job keeping many boring kilometers interesting. I enjoy him. Not easy to do what he does, keeping up the banter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going with Mr. Peto today.........he says he's beginning to feel better and he hasn't "fly through forest and ass heet big rock" lately so he pips Viviani
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

I'd be astonished if it was. At his freshest and with a strong Sky team backing him I still think Kwiatkowski loses significant time at some point to a climber like Yates or Quintana. With the Tour in his legs, a relatively weak Sky team, and having apparently also trained for the Worlds, I think he'll have greatly enjoyed his time in red but has no chance of being in the running in week 3. Would love to be proved wrong, would be an amazing reward for his super-domestique services over the last few years. It would also give Brailsford the mother of all headaches in terms of balancing GC aspirations if he had 3 different reigning GT champions plus Bernal on the team!
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

I'd be astonished if it was. At his freshest and with a strong Sky team backing him I still think Kwiatkowski loses significant time at some point to a climber like Yates or Quintana. With the Tour in his legs, a relatively weak Sky team, and having apparently also trained for the Worlds, I think he'll have greatly enjoyed his time in red but has no chance of being in the running in week 3. Would love to be proved wrong, would be an amazing reward for his super-domestique services over the last few years. It would also give Brailsford the mother of all headaches in terms of balancing GC aspirations if he had 3 different reigning GT champions plus Bernal on the team!

I don't feel too bad for Brailsford. You can go at least to 5 or 6 on their depth chart before you run out of guys who are legitimate Tour top-10 riders. Lots of teams have only one rider with a snowball's chance in hell of a top 10. Consider Poels. He barely makes the Tour team in any year yet I would pick him over Loius Menke from Dimension Data or anyone other than Uran at EF or anyone at Quick Step.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
3 different reigning GT champions ...

lordy, it hadn't occurred to me until you said it. winning all three GTs, but with three different riders? nucking futs.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't feel in the slightest bit bad for Brailsford, other directors would kill to have that problem! I do think though that the super-domestique role can gloss over weaknesses which are exposed when riders become team leaders. Both physiological and psychological. Not sure Poels would thrive as a bigger fish in a smaller pool for example. And Landa, Porte and to a lesser extent Uran haven't been as successful (yet) since leaving as you might have expected.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
cartsman wrote:
3 different reigning GT champions ...

lordy, it hadn't occurred to me until you said it. winning all three GTs, but with three different riders? nucking futs.

If Yates wins, which is much more likely than Sky winning, that's 3 different British GT winners in the same year which is also pretty nuts for a country that only had its first GT win in 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good shit going on right now. Split. AT least Pinot and Kelderman on the wrong side. Not sure who else.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the camera showed the lead moto going past that piece of traffic furniture and the head of the peloton avoiding it, I was thinking to myself...how the fuck do they not crash? Well...1 second later...

It's crazy how stressful bike racing at that level must be.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
When the camera showed the lead moto going past that piece of traffic furniture and the head of the peloton avoiding it, I was thinking to myself...how the fuck do they not crash? Well...1 second later...

Yeah, when I wrote the above, I'd missed the crash and was hoping it'd been a crosswind or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sticking with Uran to bag this one. He's due.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:

That was basically negligent. Surprised that so few people fell victim, in the replays you could see riders locking up their brakes trying to avoid it.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to the welta..........inexcusable that they didn't get a flag guy at least or remove the bollards but bike racing is sketchy at all levels......sucks for Wilco, great rider, great band

Bouhanni may be the biggest tool in the peloton but he did get him some today. It'll only encourage him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The team car and DS came through the stage unscathed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I don't feel in the slightest bit bad for Brailsford, other directors would kill to have that problem! I do think though that the super-domestique role can gloss over weaknesses which are exposed when riders become team leaders. Both physiological and psychological. Not sure Poels would thrive as a bigger fish in a smaller pool for example. And Landa, Porte and to a lesser extent Uran haven't been as successful (yet) since leaving as you might have expected.

You are definitely right about the mental side. I am sure the paycheck is great, but you have to question if someone like Poels even has the ambition to be a leader on a lesser team. Landa obviously wants the leadership role, but either the paycheck or mental problems seem to land him on a team where he is number 2 on the depth chart. It is a rare combination of the mental toughness, ambition, and physical gifts that makes great GT riders IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Bouhanni may be the biggest tool in the peloton but he did get him some today. It'll only encourage him.

You put Bouhanni as bigger tool than Moscon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can Woods bag a stage, 3k to top
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn, not to be thought he had a chance to get over the top alone
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kuss 10th on stage, hope sunday is good for him