Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a search set for cycling, it didn't catch the Vuelta. I even searched for 2018 Vuelta... on the eve of the start and it wasn't there. Now, that's what it is.
Haven't cut the cord yet, all the various apps might cost as much or more and I do like DVR function
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Can't blame Terpstra for taking advantage of his "show me the money" moment, but he might rethink it next spring while getting stomped by the Wolfpack and Bora. He should ask Sagan about being THE guy on a team with target on back, while not possessing anywhere near the all-around skillset.

This ^^^ exactly. Terpstra can only break away if nobody chases; which has been the case when everybody looks around and sees Gilbert/Stybar/etc. sitting in. But next year Terpstra will be without teammates in the lead group, and will be brought back without hesitation.

I bet he ends up "sprinting" for 3rd/4th a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Then, this weekend I find a daily 2 hour show on the Olympic channel, which I have

Before La Vuelta even started, I went to the NBC Sports website to see which it was on [NBC Sports Channel or Olympic Channel] and set my DVR accordingly

Also, I can use my Xfinity voice remote and just say "cycling" and it brings everything up [in case they switch from OLY to NBCS for the weekend shows]

You'll find that with Sherwin & Bobke doing the coverage, there's a different vibe than the TDF coverage = it's just them, no Jensie, no Schlanger, no Porino out on the bike ... they don't even have a studio. In fact, it's very possible they could be in New York, LA, or Connecticut, just doing voice overs from a satellite feed, and not even BE in Spain. The patter between the two of them sounds like they're doing this for their own entertainment, and don't care if anyone is watching [there's a lot more joking around, and Bob Roll laughs & giggles a lot]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Man, Viviani is fast. Sagan looks off his peak sprint, which would make sense with tilt at worlds, but still.

And somehow, Sagan is in green ... I guess those 2nd place points DO add up

Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, happy to have a legit way to watch and no more shady TIZ Cycling feeds. Plus I can logon to my Xfinity account and watch an HD feed at work.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olympic Channel also has highlights from the UCI MTB tours, Road and MTB Worlds, and Cyclocross in the Winter/Spring

https://www.nbcsports.com/cycling-schedule

Be aware

Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I have a search set for cycling, it didn't catch the Vuelta. I even searched for 2018 Vuelta... on the eve of the start and it wasn't there. Now, that's what it is.
Haven't cut the cord yet, all the various apps might cost as much or more and I do like DVR function

Only reason I had to cut the cord was when I moved to an apartment that is only wired for Spectrum and landlord won't let me install anything else. Spectrum knows this, and they were going to charge me max rates on everything despite the promotions they have online saying that I'm not eligible. I'm already getting raped on internet service so I can't afford to pay $170 a month for internet and one cable TV box when I was paying $110 for internet and 2 boxes, plus additional sports channels prior.

That said, most streaming services have DVR type capability. And most streaming add ons like NBC Gold are basically live or on demand, so it's like DVR except you never have to schedule the recording. The great thing now is that Sling, Hulu, Direct TV, YouTube, Fubo, etc are all competing for business and have great promotions without long term commitments. I've been constantly switching between them and on average am paying about $20 a month for the channels I want the last 10 months or so. Currently on Direct TV now paying $10 a month for the first 3 months.

I actually think DVR service is going to be obsolete soon or a niche market for people who like to keep things on recorded for LONG periods of time. Everything is going to be live or available on demand so long as you pay for service or subscribe to the network the content is on.
Last edited by: Jason N: Sep 5, 18 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Bet there will be a few unusual, big GC names in break tomorrow.

Good call. Pretty solid day of racing. Kudos for Pinot for trying...I was hoping he could at least pull back 60-70 seconds when all was said and done. MTS didn't get the win with Haig, but great job getting him in the break and forcing Movistar to do a lot of work. Wondering if they will be paying for that effort this weekend when the real fireworks start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, Jimmy goes on a little bender and we fall off onto the second page. Tri shmi.....bike race is on!

It's LUMPY today. Nibs just started some sheet in the Cabeza de Carrera. That's a reputable break group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali in break today.

Next week might be most existing of GT racing this year. All the guys training for worlds should start polishing form. Some of the breaks could end up looking like a typical GC battle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Nibali in break today.

Next week might be most existing of GT racing this year. All the guys training for worlds should start polishing form. Some of the breaks could end up looking like a typical GC battle.

will be interesting to see the GC group coming in today and who tries to pick up some time.....this run in is tricky
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is fun stuff today
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
this is fun stuff today

yes, this is cool.....watching these punchy one day guys pop these hills hard with a straight climber like Formolo not looking comfy...van Baarle looks like an Orca with Brambilla trying to cling on alike a pilot fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn Formolo, Van Baarle got stuck with him and had to work to get back on...was rooting for him....woops, he's a Sky guy......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But also a classics guy so have to root for him a little.

Good stage today. Next three should be solid, plus two CA races Friday and Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three epic days ahead, with the peloton entering my home turf... good thing the weather forecast is improving! Let’s see how long Herrada can hold it.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank goodness that was a breakaway finish and not a bunch sprint today, that “minor” post race accident could’ve been bad. Hopefully Van Baarle is ok and can continue.

Plus did anyone else see the 2 box trucks, taking up half of a lane about 2k from the finish?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so which stage would be harder Friday or Sat. regardless of their order ? obviously Sat coming after Friday's climb but whatever the order
one is basically uphill from the get go while the other is up/down up/down both similar in length and vertical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last 5.3 km of Friday's stage looks nasty with a 10.5% average, but it looks like there is a 2 km stretch in there that must average around 14% or so. Expect to see gaps there regardless of how hard the stage is.

Saturday also has a 4 km finish that averages 12.5%. The earlier part of the stage looks harder than Friday since there are so much flat roads between Friday's first and final climb but you never know how hard the race is going to be depending on the break.

Sunday is going to be a killer after those two stages.
Quote Reply
Re: La Vuelta a Espana Threada *Spoilers* [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
Thank goodness that was a breakaway finish and not a bunch sprint today, that “minor” post race accident could’ve been bad. Hopefully Van Baarle is ok and can continue.

Plus did anyone else see the 2 box trucks, taking up half of a lane about 2k from the finish?

bike racing is a podunky ass sport......the AG2R guy wins a GT stage and the presentation looked like a local 123 race...if it weren't for the press there wouldn't have been an audience....kind of cool in its own way when compared to the insane hype in other sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, what Jason said. By the end of Sunday there are gonna be a lot of guys on their knees, and only a few left in fight for podium.

Suspect there will be more days like today with breaks that go to the line too, and with more big names in em. GC teams don't have enough willpower or firepower to control the whole peloton. Racing should be pretty wide open and exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will King be allowed to get away , Majka , Mollema, Haig.
Moviestar gets depleted shutting down attacks
as you said teams aren't strong enough to cover, shut down all the next 3 days
I like Lotto-Jumbo to send Kuss up the road one of these days to be there for Kruijswijk, Bennett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alrighty, we've got a little classics-like action tomorrow and Sunday. Gotta pick 'em for Quebec GP:
Degenkolb, GvA, Ulissi
Matthews, Stybar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GvA, Stybar, VanMarcke
Wellens, Bennett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Quebec race, it's a nasty little circuit they do.

I'm thinking:
Colbrelli, Matthews, Degenkolb
Wellens, GvA

Should be an interesting finish in the Vuelta tomorrow too, lots of good cycling to watch
Quote Reply

Prev Next