Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
Because AG Nationals IS an Age Group ONLY race.

From the athlete tracker:

Welcome to the 2015 IRONMAN Wisconsin

Please note that the 2015 IRONMAN Wisconsin is an age group only race.

And just like local races where there is an elite field and it doesn't count towards age group divisions, it seems it was the same on Sunday.

TG shows up in overall, not in age group.

As I think we have all concluded here, there is a lot of confusing language that WTC is using. I am sure they didn't expect this to happen, but I am not surprised in the least bit. Just curious to see where this all goes. Are pros banned from racing these races? I think that would be very unfair, and look at TG's reasons for racing Sunday to see why.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:
While I agree about WTC's intent, and maybe I assumed their intent incorrectly, but then why did they let TG race in the first place?

Maybe those that were involved can shed light on why TG was granted entry when they knew exactly who he was.

They probably have no system in place to catch that as they never considered a pro would bother to show up and race.

See Jack Toland's post on the first page of this thread about Melanie McQuaid racing at her local WTC race earlier this season, Victoria 70.3. The only difference for that race and TG at IMW might be that she signed up for the race earlier.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Honest question. When Challenge cancelled a bunch of races - for instance Challenge Atlantic City, they still invited pros to come compete anyway. I realize that most pros are not going to put in a lot of travel to go race, but almost every pro I know races some local triathlon to them. Do you have the same view for those pros doing those local races? If not why the differing view here.

Are you really asking this or are you trying to be obtuse? Call me obtuse, but I think racing a WTC santioned Ironman is certainly different than racing a 'local' race. Are you submitting a podium finish performance bonus for this race?

I have not asked for any performance bonuses and I would not expect any. I didn't pump up the fact that I was going to race, nor did I ask for any special recognition post race. I was going to craft a social media message with the simple message, "occasionally as pros we get lost in the search of money and forget why we got into sport for the first place #ForTheLoveOfTheGame". But since there were no photographers there was no decent finish photo so I didn't bother.

And yes I asked if there was any special sanctioning from WTC in regards to this particular issue. There is not according to Heather. I am sure when/if Dan/Herbert do some reporting on this issue they will figure it out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 15, 15 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
KellyNCollier wrote:
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
Just for the record, you are aware that Pros do no pro-races all the time don't you? I do a handful a year every year. Nobody ever seems to complain when I show up at those.

I just don't think it's fair for a current WTC pro to drop down and race an age group only race. Just like I don't think it would have been fair if Gwen Jorgensen would have raced AG Nationals this year and won her age group.

It's not at all comparable to Gwen racing AG Nationals. You know why? Because AG Nationals IS an Age Group ONLY race. They DO NOT let pros race, period. Which is different than WTC who has races that happen to not have pro purses or a pro wave. Those are not "Age Group ONLY" races. Anyone can show up and compete overall (with the explicitly stated exception that pros can not get age group awards). The AGers that are sad they didn't win the overall need to go faster, not eliminate their competition because they feel they can't beat them. If that's not what WTC intended to happen, they need to change their rules. Now, whether it's classless for a pro to show up and beat down on a bunch of amateurs, sure, that's up for discussion. But should TG have been announced the winner? Per the current rules - definitely.

it absolutely is.....on this forum.....because the pro in question chose to come on here and make a big deal about the situation....more than once.

For the record, I couldn't go anywhere because my keys where in my bag and my bag was not available to retrieve so I grabbed a laptop from a vendor and got to work. In case you don't know, there are time limits in place for filing protests about stuff and I wanted to make it known right away publicly that there was an issue and protesting it. At the race sight it didn't seem that anyone from Ironman was to interested in getting to the bottom of this quickly.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
McBoyler wrote:
To claim he would have won is a bit much. He came off the bike in second and he would have had to run with Clay Emge (also former pro last year) The sad part about this whole thing is that even gives precedent to Rudy's story here. WTC can figure it out in Boulder for Clay (former pro) but couldn't figure it out for Rudy.

TRS racing gave Thomas a forum to speak. Whether you like Thomas or not he is bringing up points that need to be addressed by the WTC. End of story.

You are right. I would not have been able to run down Clay. I did feel like pulling out was the right thing to do though.

What happened with Rudy is PROOF that WTC needs to fix the policies. Something needs to change if there is no pro field in WTC races.

This is not a dig against you Colin at all. For those that don't know we actually had a nice discussion post IM Racine 70.3. But it is really easy to sit there and say you are going to pull out. Had you gotten off in first and the spotlight been on you then you may have done something different - like run. Had I stopped off the bike or stopped at 13.1 I would have had so many people ask why would you drop out when you had such a big lead. I would have received the same sort of hate - likely the hate would have come from other people but there would still be a ton of hate.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
KellyNCollier wrote:
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
Just for the record, you are aware that Pros do no pro-races all the time don't you? I do a handful a year every year. Nobody ever seems to complain when I show up at those.

I just don't think it's fair for a current WTC pro to drop down and race an age group only race. Just like I don't think it would have been fair if Gwen Jorgensen would have raced AG Nationals this year and won her age group.

It's not at all comparable to Gwen racing AG Nationals. You know why? Because AG Nationals IS an Age Group ONLY race. They DO NOT let pros race, period. Which is different than WTC who has races that happen to not have pro purses or a pro wave. Those are not "Age Group ONLY" races. Anyone can show up and compete overall (with the explicitly stated exception that pros can not get age group awards). The AGers that are sad they didn't win the overall need to go faster, not eliminate their competition because they feel they can't beat them. If that's not what WTC intended to happen, they need to change their rules. Now, whether it's classless for a pro to show up and beat down on a bunch of amateurs, sure, that's up for discussion. But should TG have been announced the winner? Per the current rules - definitely.

it absolutely is.....on this forum.....because the pro in question chose to come on here and make a big deal about the situation....more than once.

For the record, I couldn't go anywhere because my keys where in my bag and my bag was not available to retrieve so I grabbed a laptop from a vendor and got to work. In case you don't know, there are time limits in place for filing protests about stuff and I wanted to make it known right away publicly that there was an issue and protesting it. At the race sight it didn't seem that anyone from Ironman was to interested in getting to the bottom of this quickly.

I cant figure out if you really don't get it or you really don't care or both.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I ran 18 miles on Monday. People doing an Ironman don't run 18 miles on the Monday before.

And you are coming back from injury? You are crazy and that's why I love you...

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bmeer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not read this whole thread, but Frederic Limousine, a French pro who raced in 70.3 worlds the other week, won the overall at 70.3 Hawaii this year, which did not have a pro field. He did not get age group awards but he was brought up on stage, announced as Ironman 70.3 champion and they put a huge wreath around his neck.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 15, 15 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

I guess the difference I see between this and a race like Lake Mills is that WTC has a pro series and you got a license to compete in that series. That's the category you chose for WTC races. Lake Mills is just a local triathlon open to anyone. Even if the rules technically allow you to enter, by not having a pro race IMWI wasn't really open to pros and you knew that.

I'm not saying you broke the rules, obviously you didn't, and I really don't care that you raced. It's not like I was going to win the overall. I just don't think it's fair for a current WTC pro to drop down and race an age group only race. Just like I don't think it would have been fair if Gwen Jorgensen would have raced AG Nationals this year and won her age group.

Fair has nothing to do with this. It is not fair that people are more attractive, have more talent, more money, more intelligence. Life is not fair.
Of course he didn't break any rules. He did not race age group. The only difference was that in this Ironman there was no pro payout. No elite.

He did not take anything away from you or any other athlete. He had every right to race. Just as much as you. Your Gwen analogy is not valid as you had to qualify for AG nationals.
Last edited by: Pat0: Sep 15, 15 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas --

Let me first say that I think you're totally in the right here. Once Ironman took your registration and handed you a bib and a chip, you were legit. If you cross first, you're the winner. I'd even have no problem saying they were right to let you in.

That said, there are a few things you need to own here.

One, getting into the race two days out is not something that just anyone could have pulled off. Regardless of whether anyone else got in at the last minute, if you and I had walked into Monona Terrace together on Friday, I would have been told "sorry charlie, sold out" at the solutions desk. So you need to acknowledge the "unlevel playing field" critique, at least as it pertains to registration.

Two, the "just seeing where my knee is at" rationale is awful. You could have done that any day last week or this week, on the IM course or on any of your (our) other local routes. You didn't need a race environment for this purpose.

Three, "I would have gotten a bunch of hate if I dropped out" is obfuscating. Fact is, with the day unfolding the way it did, you probably didn't want to drop out. Seems reasonable to assume once you were leading off the bike, you wanted to finish, and you wanted to win. That's hardly something to apologize for, so don't.

All you need to say is, "I wanted to race, they let me race, so I raced to win, and I did win."

Hope that didn't come across as overly harsh. If we ever cross paths running or biking, I'd love to chat for the 60 or so seconds I could hold your recovery pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He dosn't get it! And around Dec 31st he'll be pounding he's chest, telling us about all the miles he's logged.......vanity is a funny thing.

100% BS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
He dosn't get it! And around Dec 31st he'll be pounding he's chest, telling us about all the miles he's logged.......vanity is a funny thing.

100% BS

Yeah but he really kicked some serious ass this weekend tho....pink
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:

100% BS

Have u ever seen me show up to a group ride? I bring the wordt bike imaginable, almost to the point that people are embarrassed, I can assure you - vanity is not my thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Fair has nothing to do with this. It is not fair that people are more attractive, have more talent, more money, more intelligence. Life is not fair.

I think fair has everything to do with this. He didn't break rules so this wasn't cheating, but was this fair play or not?

I don't think it's fair for someone who chooses to race the WTC pro series to drop down a category to race against amateurs. Yes, it's a grey area and I can see the other side of the argument since he didn't break rules. I also understand his motivation to race, and I'm not upset he did the race. I just don't think it's fair for pros to drop down.

Quote:
He did not take anything away from you or any other athlete.

Yes he did. He took the overall win away. It's a race and we race for position and he took a position away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas, I think this was all very ill advised.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

QOTD

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is Thomas getting so much crap for this when other pros have raced WTC races without pro fields this year and won? Is it just because he is a slowtwitch member?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have......I was a Bucky (but moved) and Tucson is my second home also....

So yes, I know who you are...you only came whining on ST b/c you know there is always some one willing to take the anti-ironman position. You could have just walk over to the officials, got what you needed and taken your lumps like a PRO. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

I think fair has everything to do with this. He didn't break rules so this wasn't cheating, but was this fair play or not?

I don't think it's fair for someone who chooses to race the WTC pro series to drop down a category to race against amateurs. Yes, it's a grey area and I can see the other side of the argument since he didn't break rules. I also understand his motivation to race, and I'm not upset he did the race. I just don't think it's fair for pros to drop down.

Quote:
He did not take anything away from you or any other athlete.

Yes he did. He took the overall win away. It's a race and we race for position and he took a position away.
Wrong. You can't "take any thing away" if you never had it. He earned the win. There was no pro purse or pro category but he was free to race. And win. End of story.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must have missed those other pro's threads and podcast interview.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I mean. There were no interviews or threads that I am aware of. No one seemed to care until this.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I have not read this whole thread, but Frederic Limousine, a French pro who raced in 70.3 worlds the other week, won the overall at 70.3 Hawaii this year, which did not have a pro field. He did not get age group awards but he was brought up on stage, announced as Ironman 70.3 champion and they put a huge wreath around his neck.

Yep and as you said, you didn't read the whole thread, the same thing happened at Ironman Victoria 70.3 with Mel Mcquaid. She got the whole finish line experience.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

QOTD

Funny to click off this thread and find this article...

http://www.ironman.com/...d.aspx#axzz3lAozGx2h
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas,

Can you find the terms of your annual pro membership? Why did you have to purchase separately an entry to IMWI? Where in your pro membership agreement does it say that your membership allows you to race WTC events for free and on short notice, but only for races that have a pro purse and KPR points?
Quote Reply

Prev Next