Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
Updated results show Thomas winning in 8:59:59 and Rudy Kashar 2nd. Local media has reported Edward Schmitt (3rd) as the overall winner. Such a strange situation.

Agreed, this is how an article reads:http://host.madison.com/...0d-c6364ad8bf5b.html[/quote[/url]]

Thomas:

I respect you and what you contribute to this site. I think in this case you are missing a bigger picture:

1) could everyone/anyone sign up on Friday as you did. Meaning, could any AGer sign up on Friday
2) bigger picture, while I have seen all your reasoning (including your "home town" event:)
a) there are Ager's who now sign up for AG only events, like this, Louisville etc. with the expectation they will be competing against only other Ager's and therefore have the opportunity to "break the tape". They train for months with this expectation.
b) IMWI is either AG only or include a PRO race. There are AG'ers who didn't participate this year because they couldn't "compete" against pros. I don't know Thomas Brunold at all (never met him). I watched him help a AGer this morning on the side of the road with a bike issue (and I was impressed/humbled). I do know at least one other AGer who didn't do WI this year, but would love to line up against you (and I believe would beat you) if they knew you were going to be there and if they were given the opportunity to sign up as late as Friday.

Sorry but you are a PRO and as such you should focus on the PRO races as designated.

I will say more importantly I don't think IM should have let you in in the first place. If they designate this an AG race it should be just that.

Pros have always been able to do non-pro races - the majority of triathlons in the US are non-pro races. IMWI is not an AG only race. This is a branding thing to let people know there will be no "pro" coverage and is the point of confusion that is somewhat being discussed by a few others in this thread. It doesn't mean that pros won't be in the race - to the contrary there have been quite a few pros race these races already and I suspect we will so more in the future.

BTW, this is no different than strolling down to my local olympic or sprint and racing - it just so happens Ironman Wisconsin is my local race. And I can guarantee there are quite a few age groupers who have put in more training than me for the race, especially if you just count bike/run. In addition they are more focused and more tapered for the race. And Yes, AGers could sign up for the race.

But to get back to where you are going. The majority of pros do not even finish in the money at races so what you are going to have here in the near future is really good genetic athletes returning back to the age group. This will happen because a certain pool of IM Pros saw the WTC membership as a good deal. With race selection going down this year and seemingly next, I know more athletes will opt to forgo their WTC membership because there are not as many races with reasonable travel costs. In addition, a lot of pros saw Challenge as a way to survive still but with those races being cut as well the writing is on the wall. The pros are NOT needed and some athletes will go back to racing as amateur. They are likely just as talented. Will go faster because they won't have to deal with the same pro rules or tactics and will be able to race their own race. They will break tapes, take kona slots, and ultimately piss off a small % of top age-group athletes.

Funny you should mention Thomas. I love Thomas. I talk to him nearly day at the SERF where he and I swim. What makes you so passionate that you think he would one - are my previous results dismissed?

But this get to my points. I am injured, I have been injured. I gave every opportunity for an AG to step up to beat me today. I made a huge mistake going with a sleeved wetsuit swim today. I biked 4:43 straight from out of the top ten in the swim with a couple of days of riding which started 12 days ago. In those 12 days my long ride was about 30 miles. I was so out of shape that last week at an Olympic I biked so slow then could only manage 7:07 to run my slowest 10k ever because I was so short on bike fitness. I have gone faster at Wisconsin two weeks post a high-heat 3rd place Louisville. I could have gone faster today but I didn't need to. I think one thing people forget is that I am going for the opposite of a PR. I wanted a win with the slowest time possible - not the fastest. I am not in search of a PR. My motto is just get the job done with the least amount of damage and residual fatigue as possible.

I saw Thomas on the course today as well and I said to hello to him. I would be curious to know who the other age-grouper is. And I don't personally know any Ironman athletes who said
they wouldn't race because it wasn't a pro race. I think that is a great gesture, but life is too short. Live your life. If you want to race, race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you sign up via a community fund spot?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why some people (not many, but some) believe pros should only race other pros in pro races. In this sport, pros do not have access to anything (equipment, training, nutrition, coaching, etc.) that age groupers do not. In fact, there are many age groupers with tri budgets that exceed most of the pros' budgets. So, they don't really come to the race with any unfair advantage (unless you count genetics....but where do you draw the line there?) If it bruises egos that a 38 year pro wins 35-39, get over it. He was the fastest 35-39 year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.....Thomas, your results are up, but you're missing some run splits. Are you sure you didn't "lose" your chip for a while?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revised...

deh20 wrote:
I don't understand why some people (not many, but some) believe women should only race other women in female races. In this sport, women do not have access to anything (equipment, training, nutrition, coaching, etc.) that men do not. In fact, there are many women with tri budgets that exceed most of the mens' budgets. So, they don't really come to the race with any unfair advantage (unless you count genetics....but where do you draw the line there?) If it bruises egos that a 38 year female wins 35-39, get over it. She was the fastest 35-39 year old.

Does your logic still hold?

There is a reason there are some classifications.....

@ TG - IMWI has been sold out for nearly a year. how could an AG'er have signed up in Friday?

Solid win yesterday.....the kit change confused me. I wasn't tracking any results online and when I saw you on the run, it was only your number that clued me in!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do believe there were IM fund spots open, hence my question.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
From WTC

PROFESSIONAL STATUS:
Any athlete holding elite/ professional status from their National Triathlon Federation or an Ironman Professional Membership (as verified by elite/ pro status of an athlete’s National Triathlon Federation) is prohibited from racing as an AGE GROUP athlete in ANY sanctioned triathlon events anywhere in the world, where there is an elite/ pro wave, within the same calendar year.
Disqualification and potential sanction from WTC events, and forfeiture of any AGE GROUP World Championship qualifying slots may result for any athlete that has not adhered to this policy.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz3lfCF2Lne

I take that as. Pro cannot compete as an AG athlete if they have an elite license. So while there isn't prize money or a pro field, you can still race, but will remain exempt from the amateur results.

Thomas, you've uncovered a very interesting anomaly. For all purposes, you were there, you had a timing chip, you have a recorded time, but you cannot be included in the results.

I think the best solution is for a pro category to remain, but still no points or prize money and your finish result is "official".

I think ultimately, IM would rather have their "race horses" competing at paying events and would strongly discourage them from "wasting" their energy racing non-pro events.

You supposed to be a professional, this isn't; supposed to be fun. I guess you didn't get the memo. :)

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
Updated results show Thomas winning in 8:59:59 and Rudy Kashar 2nd. Local media has reported Edward Schmitt (3rd) as the overall winner. Such a strange situation.

Agreed, this is how an article reads:http://host.madison.com/...0d-c6364ad8bf5b.html[/quote[/url]]

Thomas:

I respect you and what you contribute to this site. I think in this case you are missing a bigger picture:

1) could everyone/anyone sign up on Friday as you did. Meaning, could any AGer sign up on Friday
2) bigger picture, while I have seen all your reasoning (including your "home town" event:)
a) there are Ager's who now sign up for AG only events, like this, Louisville etc. with the expectation they will be competing against only other Ager's and therefore have the opportunity to "break the tape". They train for months with this expectation.
b) IMWI is either AG only or include a PRO race. There are AG'ers who didn't participate this year because they couldn't "compete" against pros. I don't know Thomas Brunold at all (never met him). I watched him help a AGer this morning on the side of the road with a bike issue (and I was impressed/humbled). I do know at least one other AGer who didn't do WI this year, but would love to line up against you (and I believe would beat you) if they knew you were going to be there and if they were given the opportunity to sign up as late as Friday.

Sorry but you are a PRO and as such you should focus on the PRO races as designated.

I will say more importantly I don't think IM should have let you in in the first place. If they designate this an AG race it should be just that.

Pros have always been able to do non-pro races - the majority of triathlons in the US are non-pro races. IMWI is not an AG only race. This is a branding thing to let people know there will be no "pro" coverage and is the point of confusion that is somewhat being discussed by a few others in this thread. It doesn't mean that pros won't be in the race - to the contrary there have been quite a few pros race these races already and I suspect we will so more in the future.

BTW, this is no different than strolling down to my local olympic or sprint and racing - it just so happens Ironman Wisconsin is my local race. And I can guarantee there are quite a few age groupers who have put in more training than me for the race, especially if you just count bike/run. In addition they are more focused and more tapered for the race. And Yes, AGers could sign up for the race.

But to get back to where you are going. The majority of pros do not even finish in the money at races so what you are going to have here in the near future is really good genetic athletes returning back to the age group. This will happen because a certain pool of IM Pros saw the WTC membership as a good deal. With race selection going down this year and seemingly next, I know more athletes will opt to forgo their WTC membership because there are not as many races with reasonable travel costs. In addition, a lot of pros saw Challenge as a way to survive still but with those races being cut as well the writing is on the wall. The pros are NOT needed and some athletes will go back to racing as amateur. They are likely just as talented. Will go faster because they won't have to deal with the same pro rules or tactics and will be able to race their own race. They will break tapes, take kona slots, and ultimately piss off a small % of top age-group athletes.

Funny you should mention Thomas. I love Thomas. I talk to him nearly day at the SERF where he and I swim. What makes you so passionate that you think he would one - are my previous results dismissed?

But this get to my points. I am injured, I have been injured. I gave every opportunity for an AG to step up to beat me today. I made a huge mistake going with a sleeved wetsuit swim today. I biked 4:43 straight from out of the top ten in the swim with a couple of days of riding which started 12 days ago. In those 12 days my long ride was about 30 miles. I was so out of shape that last week at an Olympic I biked so slow then could only manage 7:07 to run my slowest 10k ever because I was so short on bike fitness. I have gone faster at Wisconsin two weeks post a high-heat 3rd place Louisville. I could have gone faster today but I didn't need to. I think one thing people forget is that I am going for the opposite of a PR. I wanted a win with the slowest time possible - not the fastest. I am not in search of a PR. My motto is just get the job done with the least amount of damage and residual fatigue as possible.

I saw Thomas on the course today as well and I said to hello to him. I would be curious to know who the other age-grouper is. And I don't personally know any Ironman athletes who said
they wouldn't race because it wasn't a pro race. I think that is a great gesture, but life is too short. Live your life. If you want to race, race.

I thought I would give you a different perspective. You are the one who seems to feel passionate about this.

I brought up Thomas as an example. As I said, I do not know him. I am not going to bring up the other in order to get more names into your fight.

Again, I thought I would try to bring a different perspective to your long and passionate thread. If you think that being a professional racer and then jumping into a race like IMWI at the last minute and riding and running around the course as the first person that the 1000's of spectators see and cheer for is the same as jumping into a local sprint so be it.

My perspective is you took that attention away from a deserving AGer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the clarification that "where there is an elite/pro wave" mean that in this instance since there was no elite/pro wave Thomas was free to race in this event?

PROFESSIONAL STATUS:
Any athlete holding elite/ professional status from their National Triathlon Federation or an Ironman Professional Membership (as verified by elite/ pro status of an athlete’s National Triathlon Federation) is prohibited from racing as an AGE GROUP athlete in ANY sanctioned triathlon events anywhere in the world, where there is an elite/ pro wave, within the same calendar year.
Disqualification and potential sanction from WTC events, and forfeiture of any AGE GROUP World Championship qualifying slots may result for any athlete that has not adhered to this policy.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz3lfCF2Lne
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
the Clarification of pro/ age grouper is the problem.

I know age groupers that train more then pros and pros that have more going on then even busy age groupers.

The thing here is there are fast triathletes and slower triathletes every race should be pros can race and there just isn't any money at the finish line.

The race is a race and first one across is the winner no matter the title. if an age grouper won an Ironman against a pro field damn right they would announce him or her the winner, he just gets no money because he didn't check the box on registration.

I pro doing a local race can do a lot more of them then going to Wales this weekend and finishing top 5. It is better locally in the tri community ,with sponsors, and you come out with more $$$ then 5 th in wales after you put in travel $$$.

I know you want the win because before they removed the pro field it was a goal likely so you did it Thomas.

Actually, no they don't. There have been a couple of instances of Age Groupers finishing with faster times than the Pros - Drew Scott before he turned pro is the one that sticks in my mind, but there have been others - but everyone went to great pains (protesting a bit too much for my liking) to clarify how they hadn't really "won" because Pro vs AG is a different race, slightly different start-lines, weren't going head to head, etc, etc. Hell, they even refused to announce that the first finisher at the first IM without a Pro field was the winner!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a simpler way to put it. Without a purse, pros effectively become amateurs for that event. However because of their pro status, they are still ineligible for age group awards and WC qualifying slots.

However, it seems like they should be required to follow that same registration requirements and limitations. I'm curious is a foundation slot was used or a pro slot was used.

IM has really created an ugly situation with having non-pro races. I'm OK with tiered points and purses, but having an event that large and collecting $2MM+ in entry fees, seems to me like you ought to still have an elite field.

Maybe USAT needs to come up with a new rule. USAT sanctioned events with lets say 1500+ entrants must have a elite wave and a purse =< $5000.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I do believe there were IM fund spots open, hence my question.

But IM Foundation slots aren't $800......

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Maybe a simpler way to put it. Without a purse, pros effectively become amateurs for that event. However because of their pro status, they are still ineligible for age group awards and WC qualifying slots.

However, it seems like they should be required to follow that same registration requirements and limitations. I'm curious is a foundation slot was used or a pro slot was used.

IM has really created an ugly situation with having non-pro races. I'm OK with tiered points and purses, but having an event that large and collecting $2MM+ in entry fees, seems to me like you ought to still have an elite field.

Maybe USAT needs to come up with a new rule. USAT sanctioned events with lets say 1500+ entrants must have a elite wave and a purse =< $5000.

WTC has grown races in past decade far faster than top-end talent has developed, so naturally it makes sense that they limit the races that they pay out for. That makes sense.

What does not make sense is to call an event an "AG only race". That's not the case. What is the case is that an event has no pro purse. So, a pro can enter and pay the $800 entry fee (on top of their annual WTC pro membership) and a pro can race. But, a pro cannot win money and a pro cannot win an AG. However, a pro certainly should exist in the results and the pro should certainly be considered the race winner. A pro, for whom WTC accepted into the race and collected an additional $800 entry fee from, should not be eliminated from the results as if they were a bandit or DQed for course cutting. It's pretty simple. The pro races for overall win only, and the absolutely zero money that comes with said victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I don't understand why some people (not many, but some) believe pros should only race other pros in pro races. In this sport, pros do not have access to anything (equipment, training, nutrition, coaching, etc.) that age groupers do not. In fact, there are many age groupers with tri budgets that exceed most of the pros' budgets. So, they don't really come to the race with any unfair advantage (unless you count genetics....but where do you draw the line there?) If it bruises egos that a 38 year pro wins 35-39, get over it. He was the fastest 35-39 year old.
I think pros should be able to race everyone and anyone they want.

And the reason the age groupers budget usually exceeds the pros is because they have a high paying job. The pros choose to have triathlon as their job and accept with it the pay, sponsors etc that they can eek out which admittedly is not that high for most.

On the other hand the pros also have a lot more time to train as this is their full time job (for most).

But certainly not an "unfair" advantage. We all make our choices and line up our priorities which hopefully are fulfilling to us or at least we can live with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Revised...

deh20 wrote:
I don't understand why some people (not many, but some) believe women should only race other women in female races. In this sport, women do not have access to anything (equipment, training, nutrition, coaching, etc.) that men do not. In fact, there are many women with tri budgets that exceed most of the mens' budgets. So, they don't really come to the race with any unfair advantage (unless you count genetics....but where do you draw the line there?) If it bruises egos that a 38 year female wins 35-39, get over it. She was the fastest 35-39 year old.

@ TG - IMWI has been sold out for nearly a year. how could an AG'er have signed up in Friday?

Solid win yesterday.....the kit change confused me. I wasn't tracking any results online and when I saw you on the run, it was only your number that clued me in!

First, don't quote me and change what I wrote. Bad etiquette.

Second, I really don't understand what you're trying to say. Do women want to race against men? If you're trying to argue that the difference between a pro triathlete and an amateur triathlete is comparable to the difference between a man and a woman, then I just don't agree with your analogy.

This world is filled with people that are better than we are, and the scale is mostly continuous. Drawing a line at some arbitrary level and saying someone is too good to compete with average people makes no sense. The reality is, Keinle doesn't want to come out to my local race, but if he did, I'd gladly "race" him.

Again, I do see a distinction where the pro has access to different means than the average athlete. If Thomas indeed got an entry to a sold out race with no pro field because he was a pro, then I argue he had an unfair advantage. I'll wait for him to weigh in on that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
WTC has grown races in past decade far faster than top-end talent has developed, so naturally it makes sense that they limit the races that they pay out for. That makes sense.

What does not make sense is to call an event an "AG only race". That's not the case. What is the case is that an event has no pro purse. So, a pro can enter and pay the $800 entry fee (on top of their annual WTC pro membership) and a pro can race. But, a pro cannot win money and a pro cannot win an AG. However, a pro certainly should exist in the results and the pro should certainly be considered the race winner. A pro, for whom WTC accepted into the race and collected an additional $800 entry fee from, should not be eliminated from the results as if they were a bandit or DQed for course cutting. It's pretty simple. The pro races for overall win only, and the absolutely zero money that comes with said victory.

I get that we want to say that Thomas won the event, but what happens if he wants to put "2015 IMWI Winner" on his resume or collect sponsorship incentives from the win? Obviously that's not what he did the race for, but if you open up the possibility, then some pros will try to race the "non pro" races for the win. Obviously sponsors will wisen up to the game if this kind of behavior becomes widespread (ie: payout now contingent on it being a pro race), but the big risk is that WTC will lose some of the value (however defined) it hopes to gain by consolidating the pro races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
kny wrote:

I get that we want to say that Thomas won the event, but what happens if he wants to put "2015 IMWI Winner" on his resume or collect sponsorship incentives from the win? Obviously that's not what he did the race for, but if you open up the possibility, then some pros will try to race the "non pro" races for the win. Obviously sponsors will wisen up to the game if this kind of behavior becomes widespread (ie: payout now contingent on it being a pro race), but the big risk is that WTC will lose some of the value (however defined) it hopes to gain by consolidating the pro races.

Honestly, I don't care about Thomas in the least. (no offense Thomas, but I don't know you and have no particular affinity for you vs any other pro)

WTC has to pick. Either forbid pros from racing and stop collecting their money. Or let them race and let them win. You can't have it both ways. As far as I'm concerned the guy won the damn race and can put IMWI winner on his resume. If WTC doesn't want him to claim IMWI winner, then don't let him race. You can't collect his money, let him race, and then effectively DQ him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Hmmm.....Thomas, your results are up, but you're missing some run splits. Are you sure you didn't "lose" your chip for a while?

I know this comment is in jest, but I was actually volunteering at the Picnic Point turn around from 1-4pm. This is right where the 8.8 and 21.9 timing mat was located. It wasn't working at all to my knowledge. No "beeping" noises when the athletes would run over them. I don't remember the exact time, but it must have been after 3pm, two race officials came and changed the timing mat.

I can say that Thomas ran over them twice, and was looking very strong with a big smile on his face. Great job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Revised...

deh20 wrote:

First, don't quote me and change what I wrote. Bad etiquette.

Oh, please....I clearly note that it was revised.

Quote:
Second, I really don't understand what you're trying to say. Do women want to race against men? If you're trying to argue that the difference between a pro triathlete and an amateur triathlete is comparable to the difference between a man and a woman, then I just don't agree with your analogy.

Why not? As I clearly showed in my revision, it applies equally to women vs. men as Pros vs. AG. The only difference is the same, really....genetics. Why not just have an overall race, no age groups, classifications or divisions based on gender?

And the question is not "do women want to race against men" (although some do, I'm sure), or more accurately in this case "Do AG want to race against Pros:, the question should be "why would Pros (or men) want to race against AG'ers (or women)?

Quote:
This world is filled with people that are better than we are, and the scale is mostly continuous. Drawing a line at some arbitrary level and saying someone is too good to compete with average people makes no sense. The reality is, Keinle doesn't want to come out to my local race, but if he did, I'd gladly "race" him.

Again, I do see a distinction where the pro has access to different means than the average athlete. If Thomas indeed got an entry to a sold out race with no pro field because he was a pro, then I argue he had an unfair advantage. I'll wait for him to weigh in on that issue.

See above....why not have a single race devoid of any distinctions? Every classification is an "arbitrary" line, it would seem.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
WTC has to pick. Either forbid pros from racing and stop collecting their money. Or let them race and let them win. You can't have it both ways. As far as I'm concerned the guy won the damn race and can put IMWI winner on his resume. If WTC doesn't want him to claim IMWI winner, then don't let him race. You can't collect his money, let him race, and then effectively DQ him.

I agree. They kind of put him in a quandary in terms of his status as a racer and it is unfair both to him and to the other competitors taking part that this grey zone was allowed to exist. It couldn't have been fun or fair for the top AG either.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [alir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can talk about the mass start vs waves debate for a long time. but I would say drew won the race but no money. He didn't get the card and check the box to also be able to compete for money that the only thing making some one pro a card then a box check or else we are all doing the same thing at different speeds.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Why not? As I clearly showed in my revision, it applies equally to women vs. men as Pros vs. AG. The only difference is the same, really....genetics. Why not just have an overall race, no age groups, classifications or divisions based on gender?

And the question is not "do women want to race against men" (although some do, I'm sure), or more accurately in this case "Do AG want to race against Pros:, the question should be "why would Pros (or men) want to race against AG'ers (or women)?

Quote:

See above....why not have a single race devoid of any distinctions? Every classification is an "arbitrary" line, it would seem.

The difference between a man and a woman is not arbitrary, it's specifically defined by the presence of a Y chromosome, different anatomy, and (perhaps most importantly for athletic performance), different sex hormones. Apples and oranges.

And as I said, if Thomas' pro status got him into a sold out race that had no pro field (that I could not have registered for last-minute as an amateur) then I do have an issue. Not an issue with Thomas, but with WTC / race director.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Quote:

The difference between a man and a woman is not arbitrary, it's specifically defined by the presence of a Y chromosome, different anatomy, and (perhaps most importantly for athletic performance), different sex hormones. Apples and oranges.

And as I said, if Thomas' pro status got him into a sold out race that had no pro field (that I could not have registered for last-minute as an amateur) then I do have an issue. Not an issue with Thomas, but with WTC / race director.

Soooo....the difference is "genetics", then?

But fine, we'll leave the issue of gender aside for the moment....using your logic, we should remove all AG classification orders.

Quote Reply

Prev Next