Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW Kendra Lee had the fastest women's overall time at IMC in 2012 (9:44:58). She was an age grouper. She was not acknowledged as the overall women's champion...pro athlete Gillian Clayton (9:46:07) was. Kendra didn't get the "finish line experience" or the post race interviews, etc. Gillian did. So it seems that if an age grouper wins a race that has a professional field, they don't get to be the "champion", but if a pro wins an age group race, they DO get to be declared the winner? Pros - win/win...age groupers, lose/lose. You shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

Kendra was not even mentioned in the local paper the next day...
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/...48-81b27b0c4360.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? because as he put it " I grabbed a laptop from a vendor and got to work. In case you don't know, there are time limits in place for filing protests."
A protest for what??? That he didnt get to break the tape? What is Thomas even protesting about? This whole thing just reeks of why there are only 10-25 "pros" in the sport. TG clearly doesnt get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [glowstickgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different situation in that she didn't start at the same time as the pros and raced under AG rules, vs pro rules..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Thomas, I think this was all very ill advised.

I've been tilting at that windmill since sun night. Good luck. That god awful podcast was where I threw in the towel
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny, i bet if the top AG winner beat TG - that person and news outlets would be bragging all over they beat a pro. So pro's have a place. They set standards - x:xx time is likely the best one can do on Y course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
funny, i bet if the top AG winner beat TG - that person and news outlets would be bragging all over they beat a pro. So pro's have a place. They set standards - x:xx time is likely the best one can do on Y course.

Really...... Well let's take the current Pro as the subject and OP of this thread as an example. Why don't you look at the results of previous years of the same race and see if there weren't AGers who finished faster than he did. Then look to see if he has ever won an ironman in which other pros raced. Then do the math. You may find some of these pros aren't as super as you think. The difference is most that I have encounter at least act professionally in the process
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
He dosn't get it! And around Dec 31st he'll be pounding he's chest, telling us about all the miles he's logged.......vanity is a funny thing.

100% BS

Dude - Way off here. Don't knock Thomas's character. That's not even close to who he is. One of the reasons I was inspired to go for a pro card was because of the openness and transparency of a blog that he has kept.

Keep the personal bashing sh** out of this. This has been a fairly productive conversation that needs to be had. Comments like this bring the quality of discussion down quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team_Doc28 wrote:
Why? because as he put it " I grabbed a laptop from a vendor and got to work. In case you don't know, there are time limits in place for filing protests."
A protest for what??? That he didnt get to break the tape? What is Thomas even protesting about? This whole thing just reeks of why there are only 10-25 "pros" in the sport. TG clearly doesnt get it.

What exactly don't I get? At that time protesting why my results were removed from the official finishers list. You know even the top pros only earn a small amount of their paycheck thru prize money correct so would you really have a problem with me standing up for myself as the overall winner of the race for the sake of consistency?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Really...... Well let's take the current Pro as the subject and OP of this thread as an example. Why don't you look at the results of previous years of the same race and see if there weren't AGers who finished faster than he did. Then look to see if he has ever won an ironman in which other pros raced. Then do the math. You may find some of these pros aren't as super as you think. The difference is most that I have encounter at least act professionally in the process

you know TG took it not 100% coming of injury and testing new things out. I propose you provide this research when making a point - because many abstract observations can be made.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Thomas,

Can you find the terms of your annual pro membership? Why did you have to purchase separately an entry to IMWI? Where in your pro membership agreement does it say that your membership allows you to race WTC events for free and on short notice, but only for races that have a pro purse and KPR points?

I posted this earlier in the thread, but here are the rules straight from WTC:

Here are the details for PROS racing non pro races:

Professional athletes may compete in events that are not identified as IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 Professional Qualification and validation events. The policy and procedure is as follows:
1. Entry will be through the general entry process at the current entry price.
2. There is no official Pro/ Elite Division/Wave however, pro athletes must declare their professional status during the registration process.
3. Pro/ elite athletes will race with their respective age-group wave, or in the case of a rolling start, will stage themselves accordingly.
4. Athletes will be competing according to the age-group Rules of the event.
5. Pros are NOT eligible for Age Group awards or qualifying slots and are not included in age group results.
6. If overall awards are presented, they are eligible for these awards.

I will provide the athlete services team with your name, so they can make note of your professional status.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Would be curious to know what your real name is? It seems like sitting behind a computer and slinging mud is just a SUPER professional thing to do.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
synthetic wrote:

you know TG took it not 100% coming of injury and testing new things out. I propose you provide this research when making a point - because many abstract observations can be made.

I have no idea what point your making. But I defintely agree that TG took it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
kny wrote:
Thomas,

Can you find the terms of your annual pro membership? Why did you have to purchase separately an entry to IMWI? Where in your pro membership agreement does it say that your membership allows you to race WTC events for free and on short notice, but only for races that have a pro purse and KPR points?

Professional athletes may compete in events that are not identified as IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 Professional Qualification and validation events. The policy and procedure is as follows:
2. There is no official Pro/ Elite Division/Wave however, pro athletes must declare their professional status during the registration process.
3. Pro/ elite athletes will race with their respective age-group wave, or in the case of a rolling start, will stage themselves accordingly.
5. Pros are NOT eligible for Age Group awards or qualifying slots and are not included in age group results.

I will provide the athlete services team with your name, so they can make note of your professional status.

Thanks. Contrary to what I and others have previously stated, it does seem like WTC has thought it through and certainly intended for pros to be allowed to race non scoring IMs. Which then makes me wonder why the heck they ignored his finish and pulled him from results. My guess is that one person on-site made a call, the wrong call, and that's the extent of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep digging Thomas you are doing a fantastic job for yourself and your sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think any amateurs have gone faster than TG went on the day. Properly motivated, I do think that JB or DS could easily go that fast on IMWI at this point in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You dont get that a pro shouldnt give a rip if they are included or not included in a non pro or AG only (whatever you want to call it) race. I would guess that 95% of card carrying pros in your position would have thought that was weird/odd the way the whole finish line thing went down, but they would have gone on about their day. Not look for the closest computer available and start a rant on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team_Doc28 wrote:
You dont get that a pro shouldnt give a rip if they are included or not included in a non pro or AG only (whatever you want to call it) race. I would guess that 95% of card carrying pros in your position would have thought that was weird/odd the way the whole finish line thing went down, but they would have gone on about their day. Not look for the closest computer available and start a rant on ST.

For the record 95% of my peers don't come on ST because frankly they can't handle criticism. In addition 95% of my peers wouldn't have realistically been in that position. it just isn't that easy to win an Ironman and when you race a race so unprepared against so many athletes that are you have a great chance of failure. The other 5% who would win wouldn't show IMO because it isn't worth their time to do so.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 15, 15 22:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
kny wrote:
Thomas,

Thanks. Contrary to what I and others have previously stated, it does seem like WTC has thought it through and certainly intended for pros to be allowed to race non scoring IMs. Which then makes me wonder why the heck they ignored his finish and pulled him from results. My guess is that one person on-site made a call, the wrong call, and that's the extent of it.

All of this. The wording seems very clear and apparently precedent has been set at other races. Why someone chose to ignore the rules and ignore TG's finish is the real question. Very odd situation all around.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Keep digging Thomas you are doing a fantastic job for yourself and your sponsors

Love one of your very first posts on here - not hypocritical at all:

"I try very hard not to feed the trolls.
As opposed to most of your generic posts in which you refer to "fatties" or "posers" etc. you have chosen to become specific about specific people here.

Heather Gollnick is my coach, my friend, and a person who believes in God.

I suspect if you were to speak to her she would tell you that some of the obstacles in her life were put there by God, some by other means and some by herself. For instance she chooses to put triathlons in front of her as an obstacle and God helps her overcome the most difficult times within a race .

I don't believe Heather (or the others you site) are "pitching" God; they are simply living their lives and stating what they believe. Whether you choose to listen or not is up to you.

I was speaking with Heather on Monday to put my taper together for IMOO. She was calling from the airport in Iowa where she just finished 2nd at Pigman. She's in the "triathlon business" too only when she waits for airplanes she chooses to do her job rather than posting boring drivel on a forum. Maybe that's why she wipes the floor with guys like me and you at events.

The other thing about Heather and the others you site is that when she is out speaking about God (or "pitching" God) she is out there as herself not hiding behind some alias. This opens her to critique from other people who can critique her by name while she states her beliefs. See this is called "courage". You may want to try it some time.

As to how I would feel about Faris is he sported an Allah bandana I would think he was a man of belief. Belief in God. In fact belief in the same God as I do. The God of Abraham. Now if Faris told me he wanted to cut my head off because some of our beliefs are different I would begin to think and act much differently............

Jeff May (see this is where you crawl out from behind the alias) "

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
kny wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
kny wrote:
Thomas,

All of this. The wording seems very clear and apparently precedent has been set at other races. Why someone chose to ignore the rules and ignore TG's finish is the real question. Very odd situation all around.

Which is what I am trying to get the bottom of. Why in this particular instance they blew it. Is it a Mike Reilly thing? From what I can tell all the other races where this happened did not have Mike Reilly. I highly doubt I will get something in writing clarifying why it occurred this way in this single instance.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I don't think any amateurs have gone faster than TG went on the day. Properly motivated, I do think that JB or DS could easily go that fast on IMWI at this point in time.

Burke is a monster, and publicly I said he was the most talented amateur at Kona last year, however he didn't win because of what I thought was poor execution. Dan is a monster amateur but I think his weakness would be his swim in the pro ranks. Swim is so critical in the pro ranks and biking with a group of guys is always easier than biking by yourself. I would have welcomed any amatuers out there including those two.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
kny wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
kny wrote:
Thomas,

Which is what I am trying to get the bottom of. Why in this particular instance they blew it. Is it a Mike Reilly thing? From what I can tell all the other races where this happened did not have Mike Reilly. I highly doubt I will get something in writing clarifying why it occurred this way in this single instance.

For the record I have no problem with you or any pros racing in these races. I think under the circumstances WTC owes you an explanation and an apology. If they didn't intend or want this scenario to occur they need to change their own policy.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's comments like that TG are why you're getting blasted over this. Not helping your cause.
Last edited by: Tricoastal: Sep 15, 15 20:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

Love one of your very first posts on here - not hypocritical at all:

"I try very hard not to feed the trolls.
As opposed to most of your generic posts in which you refer to "fatties" or "posers" etc. you have chosen to become specific about specific people here.

Heather Gollnick is my coach, my friend, and a person who believes in God.

I suspect if you were to speak to her she would tell you that some of the obstacles in her life were put there by God, some by other means and some by herself. For instance she chooses to put triathlons in front of her as an obstacle and God helps her overcome the most difficult times within a race .

I don't believe Heather (or the others you site) are "pitching" God; they are simply living their lives and stating what they believe. Whether you choose to listen or not is up to you.

I was speaking with Heather on Monday to put my taper together for IMOO. She was calling from the airport in Iowa where she just finished 2nd at Pigman. She's in the "triathlon business" too only when she waits for airplanes she chooses to do her job rather than posting boring drivel on a forum. Maybe that's why she wipes the floor with guys like me and you at events.

The other thing about Heather and the others you site is that when she is out speaking about God (or "pitching" God) she is out there as herself not hiding behind some alias. This opens her to critique from other people who can critique her by name while she states her beliefs. See this is called "courage". You may want to try it some time.

As to how I would feel about Faris is he sported an Allah bandana I would think he was a man of belief. Belief in God. In fact belief in the same God as I do. The God of Abraham. Now if Faris told me he wanted to cut my head off because some of our beliefs are different I would begin to think and act much differently............

Jeff May (see this is where you crawl out from behind the alias) "

Thomas

Do you really think I am trying to be anonymous. Clearly Scott knows who I am. So does James burke. I am sure we share many friends here in wisconsin.

You don't have to dig up posts from 10 years a go. At the beginning of this thread I told you I respected you and your contribution to this forum.

I just think in this case you are taking a real issue via WTC and making it all about yourself. And I think you are so wrapped up in crossing the line first on Sunday that you are missing how unprofessionally you are acting

You jumped into an amateur race at the last moment and crossed the line before every non-professional. Congratulations. You are the kick assiests triathlete who ever kicked ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:

I am not questioning TG's abilities. I know that was faster than any ager time. I believe burke was 9:04.

In that case I was responding to someone who seemed to think no ager ever goes faster at the same race than a pro but I admit I may have read it wrong

There is no question that TG and BB are faster than the ager's in wisconsin. I have a great deal of respect for their abilities

I just no longer respect TG's choices or the way he has chosen to conduct himself over the last 24 hours. Including the real starky podcast he gave today

I really started here just trying to give him a different perspective from the ag ranks. Clearly I have failed as he doesn't get what I am saying. It happens

But now that he has "outed" me from my anonymous status I better proceed to scrub my hard drive etc. know any good IT guys...
Quote Reply

Prev Next