Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]

She didn't quit. She is not a quitter and has never been. This thread is not a quitter and never will be. Other people may try and bring it down but what this thread accomplished was courageous and raised awareness of hundreds of internet opinoins, including myown, beyond what mere quitters could ever hope to quit from.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [adambeston] [ In reply to ]

adambeston wrote:
She didn't quit. She is not a quitter and has never been. This thread is not a quitter and never will be. Other people may try and bring it down but what this thread accomplished was courageous and raised awareness of hundreds of internet opinoins, including myown, beyond what mere quitters could ever hope to quit from.

This thread should be dedicated to the children in that orphanage so that they may grow up to tear other people down.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

Let's not conflate making an effort to raise money for a good cause and blatant self promotion with little to no thought about how that effort can be reasonably achieved. She would have raised a lot more money had she engaged in something within reach. As it it stands, this was never going to happen and a fools errand.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TIT] [ In reply to ]

White privilege is a decent goal. I'll donate 95% of my military taxes to this cause. (Sorry, she spent more than she got donated and I am feeling particularly cynical).

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]

I initially thought her ugly tattoos were part of a full sleeved Wattie Ink kit. Her commuter bike shoes have also been noted.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [dunno] [ In reply to ]

dunno wrote:
Thank goodness this circus is over

I missed it.

She's said she's done?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]

Bryancd wrote:
Let's not conflate making an effort to raise money for a good cause and blatant self promotion with little to no thought about how that effort can be reasonably achieved. She would have raised a lot more money had she engaged in something within reach. As it it stands, this was never going to happen and a fools errand.

As many have pointed out she could have done ironman charity slots, RAAM, ultra races, or any number of big races in the name of her charity but I guess those aren’t epic enough for her IG.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [PJC] [ In reply to ]

PJC wrote:
dunno wrote:
Thank goodness this circus is over

I missed it.

She's said she's done?

I think her coach said it. In her IG post she of course doesn’t explicitly say it. You know because somehow admitting you were in over your head is someone seen as a weakness

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

RandMart wrote:
Can I go back to post #1 and ask: "How is Ashley a 'fitness star' if few people had heard of her prior to this?"

I mean, we know who Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels are because of Biggest Loser, but I'd certainly never heard of Ashley Horner until this month

Was I missing just something someplace? Or does a certain number of Instagram followers make you a 'star?' What's the threshold, I wonder? 500K?

Just curious

Carry on

I live in Virginia Beach and until I read on here she was from here as well I had no clue who she was.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

Shit like this article from her website is what pisses me off about Ashley. She is dishonest. As I stated before, I went to graduate school with the father of 2 of her children. They were married during these 4 years of school. She moved to Guam because he was stationed there, not because of a "leap of faith". The "I'm a single mom doing all of this on my own" is pure bullshit. The kid's father is active in their lives and is a great guy.

Also, if she really does have rhabdo and tries to continue after "a few days rest", then she is a complete idiot. I rhabdo'd myself in Dec 2016 and I can tell you it fucking sucks. It takes months to recover from it and you won't be doing back to back to....what day are we really on?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]

This is the funniest thing I’ve read here in days. The tats were probably cheaper than a Wattie full sleeve Tri top.

1poseur1 wrote:
I initially thought her ugly tattoos were part of a full sleeved Wattie Ink kit. Her commuter bike shoes have also been noted.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [zoom] [ In reply to ]

Just out of curiosity, as a matter or normal practice, do you check up/verify results on new athletes that you take on? Or, what about athletes that say, "I've been running 10 miles a day, 3-5 times a week for the past 3 years. I've never done any timed races, but would like to do a marathon 3 months from now?"

-------

With any new athlete, I don't check/verify anything until I understand what they are trying to accomplish. I absolutely make it a priority that the athlete understand their work ethic must match their race goals. You don't get to say you want to run a 3 hr marathon and only run twice a week. As I was saying earlier, I took on an athlete, where there were a few times I had to give the "come to jesus" talk....1st time it scared her to getting her act together, but then she fell back into bad habits to the point, I told her for the best race experience change to X distance....she didn't want to hear that and took my slight as a "challenge" to prove me wrong....of course she failed terribly and the new coach told me "she wont listen to me".....

For example, I'm smart enough to realize that an athlete like Ashley isn't going to be coming close to this adventure. And I think Alex knew that, that's why he said his goal was 5 and then see what happens. But imo, I think they "rushed" things. They seemed to think 1 big training block of S-B-R for this type of athlete was going to be enough. Her training committment + training didn't come close to meeting the "demands of competition". That's my big "coach speak" with all my athletes. Don't tell me you want to do 50/50 and only train up for it 6 months for it? Let's plan this out for a 5 year process, 1st year do 2 IM's about half a year apart, so that we can really focus on the training. Use the race as dress rehearsals and ways to "relate with triathletes", and then see where your fitness is. This whole 50/50 is truly the "end game", this isn't something you do half way. You have to really truly go all in for a long time to get the ability to even think your ready for this.

And I honestly think, this is something that either you do, or it breaks you and you never come back. Now of course she broke so quick, that she basically was underqualified. So for her, she could actually likely give it another go. But if you tried it truly prepared and "broke" at say IM 22, I don't think you come back and try it again. I think you simply reached your limit. So in this regard, she never really reach her limit, because she was never prepared properly to meet her limit. She was way way over her head, and Alex knew, he just didn't have the gumption to tell her not to try it. He went along for the ride, prepared her for the best she could; thus why he basically said his goal seemed to be 5 IM's....Think about that, his goal for her based off her training/fitness was 10% of the "adventure"....that was their reality.

But where I would be different from him, I'd have never gone along for the ride. I'd have put my plan out there, and if it wasn't what she wanted to hear, I'd walk away..or more accurately, she'd have never even looked at my plan. She had a lot of "yes men" people around her, until the very very end imo. ETA: So he may have done it because he knew how harded she was and wanted to give her the best fighting chance, the ole "well i know you wont listen to anyone, so i'll be around to give you the best advice"...But remember one thing coaches- athlete results are on YOU. They are basically your coaching credibility. So be careful and wise who you take on.

But of course a coach that came to her with a 5 year plan, wouldn't even get out of the email phase with an athlete like Ashley. She's too full of herself and hard headed to heed that type of advice. She needs/wants the "now". It's very evident in just the way she carries herself online with IG with every single post always a selfie and always about her. She wouldn't have the time or discipline to train for this properly. Now maybe if this was some type of strength/fitness challenge sure. But triathlon is really out of her element, and she wanted the quick fix, and it nearly broke her.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 19, 18 18:00

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

I’m not sure what’s worse:

1. The fact you know all these irrelevant people or
2. That they have so many followers despite having no talent

TheStroBro wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Can I go back to post #1 and ask: "How is Ashley a 'fitness star' if few people had heard of her prior to this?"

I mean, we know who Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels are because of Biggest Loser, but I'd certainly never heard of Ashley Horner until this month

Was I missing just something someplace? Or does a certain number of Instagram followers make you a 'star?' What's the threshold, I wonder? 500K?

Just curious

Carry on

Have you heard of Katie Anne? Current WNBF World Champion. 106k on Instagram

Have you heard of MegSquats? She's a powerlifter who hasn't won anything spectacular, 315k on Instagram-BBCom Spokesmodel

Have you heard of BuffBunny (I just cringed), she has 1.7MM on instagram...mostly from stealing the boyfriend of the next person I put down.

Nikki Blacketter? 1.9MM on instagram-GymShark Athlete

Emily Hayden? 267k instagram-Alphalete Athlete

Whitney Simmons? 1.9MM on instagram-GymShark Athlete

GraceFitUK? 856k on instagram-GymShark Athlete

So that's the world of instagram fitness models.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [treyedr] [ In reply to ]

treyedr wrote:
Shit like this article from her website is what pisses me off about Ashley. She is dishonest. As I stated before, I went to graduate school with the father of 2 of her children. They were married during these 4 years of school. She moved to Guam because he was stationed there, not because of a "leap of faith". The "I'm a single mom doing all of this on my own" is pure bullshit. The kid's father is active in their lives and is a great guy.

Also, if she really does have rhabdo and tries to continue after "a few days rest", then she is a complete idiot. I rhabdo'd myself in Dec 2016 and I can tell you it fucking sucks. It takes months to recover from it and you won't be doing back to back to....what day are we really on?

Best part of that letter is the comment about her boyfriend cheating on her with a stripper. Classic.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

Well, personally I wish I didn't know all of these people. Most of them are snake oil saleswomen. Only two of them are actual athletes, the others are just chicks that have done a few "shows".

I do think though, that the real reason we're seeing all of the actual athlete youtube channels spring up is because of these folks random success.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]

Skyline Chili wrote:
treyedr wrote:

Best part of that letter is the comment about her boyfriend cheating on her with a stripper. Classic.

With a stripper of all people... she says with no irony at all. Like there is some huge difference between posting daily pictures wearing next to nothing on IG and shaking your money makers on stage.

TIT wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
treyedr wrote:

With a stripper of all people... she says with no irony at all. Like there is some huge difference between posting daily pictures wearing next to nothing on IG and shaking your money makers on stage.

It would be ironic, and quite funny, if it was the stripper that motivated her to get into fitness and to then get some money makers of her own.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [treyedr] [ In reply to ]

Someone needs to school me on what rbato is. I assumed it was some sort of high intensity workout a la tibata (SP?) that she was doing before her attempt but clearly this is not it.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

Seriously though, how do you know these people exist? Since they aren’t good at anything, I didn’t know who they are nor would I even know where to begin learning about a bunch of random YouTube stars. The only time I heard about Horner was when I heard about the 50/50 attempt. Beyond that I wouldn’t know her from a hole in a wall.

TheStroBro wrote:
Well, personally I wish I didn't know all of these people. Most of them are snake oil saleswomen. Only two of them are actual athletes, the others are just chicks that have done a few "shows".

I do think though, that the real reason we're seeing all of the actual athlete youtube channels spring up is because of these folks random success.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]

1poseur1 wrote:
Someone needs to school me on what rbato is. I assumed it was some sort of high intensity workout a la tibata (SP?) that she was doing before her attempt but clearly this is not it.

this was posted like 50 pages ago

https://medium.com/@ericrobertson/crossfits-dirty-little-secret-97bcce70356d

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

Long story short...it started with a youtube video on dadbods from a guy who owns a major supplement company (probably came up on my suggestions because I watched the BroScience Channel a bunch, which is a satire on gym bros), I went into a massive youtube hole when I was taking a bunch of supplements. My girlfriend ended up following a lot of those girls for awhile and they became extremely repetitive...and of course the only they did in life was pose on instagram.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 19, 18 19:11

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [zoom] [ In reply to ]

80000m/week of swimming for a month is pretty hard for someone without a swim background.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ In reply to ]

Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [realAB] [ In reply to ]

Her coach believed it, so we all should believe it :)

That was one of the reasons he gave for taking her on. He basically said that this raw talent, who had to specific training in running and swimming was able to pull it off, came to him, so he took her on.

realAB wrote:
80000m/week of swimming for a month is pretty hard for someone without a swim background.

Prev Next