Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kileyay;

Here's some friendly advise.
1. Success isn't a finite resource. His success has no influence on yours.
2. If you don't like people making videos about themselves - good luck fighting that battle.
3. If it bothers you just don't watch. Nobody knew who he was until you complained he was getting more attention than you.
4. If his success, video, whatever, is bothering you...maybe you pay too much attention to what other people are doing.
5. You ever notice how McDonald's never makes fun of Burger King or how real tough guys don't go around talking about fighting? When you're legit you don't go around finding people to make fun of.
6. And, finally: Always remember that, not being afraid to say something doesn't mean you actually have something to say.
Last edited by: PennBen: Oct 11, 18 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Two things - do you know any of the EMJ team ? I do and everyone I have met is humble and whilst they have a social media presence , they are nothing like this guy - what happened you applied and they turned you down ?

I have tried watching this twice but cannot get past 2 mins , I don’t understand why he did it other than to say look at me , aren’t I the f**kin amazing

Maybe it’s because I am a Brit but this level of self promotion is nauseating

No, you just need to take PennBen’s friendly advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Two things - do you know any of the EMJ team ? I do and everyone I have met is humble and whilst they have a social media presence , they are nothing like this guy - what happened you applied and they turned you down ?

I have tried watching this twice but cannot get past 2 mins , I don’t understand why he did it other than to say look at me , aren’t I the f**kin amazing

Maybe it’s because I am a Brit but this level of self promotion is nauseating

This is an interesting post...

On one hand, you berate another poster for making claims about people they don’t know.

On the other hand, you make claims about someone you don’t know.

I don’t think this is because you’re a Brit. I know many Brits and they are nowhere near this bitter about other people’s success.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Ghaml113] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your post is interesting also

I don’t know your definition of success but it sounds like it’s different to mine

You are right I know nothing about him , he may be a very nice guy - i just dont like the self promotion

Bitter I am most certainly not which if you knew me , I note you do not , you would know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, I don’t know you. You may very well not have a bitter bone in your body.

If you view your post objectively, you can see why I ,and others, might come to the conclusion that you are bitter. Apologies if you are not.

My definition of success, when it comes to triathlons, is constant improvement and constantly pushing yourself to be your best. Winning races is also up there, but is more a byproduct of the work put into it. How do you define success?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
This sounds a bit like the Michael Woods story. He just got 3rd at UCI cycling worlds (rides for Vaughters' Cannondale/Education First protour team). Was a sub 4 track miler and was injured, so some of the local FOP tri guys brow beat him into coming out on the bike when injured, and she shows up in running shorts and running shoes with a borrowed beater bike with rat trap pedals and proceeds to totally smoke everyone and the local benchmark times on one of the hill climbs. Those guys just have massive watts per kilo for climbing pretty well out of the gate, then its a matter of converting them to being able to ride in the drops/aero.

It seems like Ed could very well set one of the fastest age group times ever in Kona if he can keep his act together. He seems like a younger faster version of when Slowman took up tris with similar body type....can't remember Slowman's mile PB, but I think it was around Ed's low 4:20 range.

hey. i have very few palmares but i'm jealous of those i have. it was in the TEENS.

What was your mile PB and did you run it in high school at altitude in Tahoe, or down at sea level.....most importantly is it faster than Ed's mile PB????? If it is, at least some around here one upped Ed on something. You're our last hope unless Danstu or Sam Gyde can put down the hammer at Kona and make Ed hurt in the energy lab.

Pretty sure Graham Hood has posted on here before - his mile time is definitely faster than Ed's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was not my intention

In triathlon i would agree with your definition though for me personally i like to win also

I thought you were referring to his business success or wealth which I am most certainly not jealous of !

Forums for you , things get lost on translation

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ever notice how McDonald's never makes fun of Burger King or how real tough guys don't go around talking about fighting?

Both of these are not true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ghaml113 wrote:
Nope, I don’t know you. You may very well not have a bitter bone in your body.

If you view your post objectively, you can see why I ,and others, might come to the conclusion that you are bitter. Apologies if you are not.

My definition of success, when it comes to triathlons, is constant improvement and constantly pushing yourself to be your best. Winning races is also up there, but is more a byproduct of the work put into it. How do you define success?

Umm it IS self promotion. Full stop. whether you are ok with that or not is another matter but it is very much blatant massive self promotion, that's cant be up for debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy has clearly been successful in life and triathlon. Why does he need to post a video boasting of his accomplishments? I think he could use a dose of humility, and i say that without a bitterness or resentment. He should let his accomplishments stand on their own and not brag about them. Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised the point that has been missed was that he was dropping his preschooler off to a mandarin immersion school...........

That's the smartest thing in the video

If I was smarter my kids would be doing English / Arabic or Mandarin not English / French
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to the thread, but why is it going on so long without us getting to the bottom of whose mile PB is faster....Slowman or Ed Baker. Slowman must be having too much fun riding around Mauna Kea and Kaloko or he is at Kona bike check in right now!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Graham Hood has posted on here before - his mile time is definitely faster than Ed's.

Ya, he posts and participates here, and his top 100 mile times would be faster. Dan probably doesnt even have a top 10 time overall with the posters here, I know PT is in the 4;06 range, imagine Kenny Souza was not too far behind. That would be a very interesting list, all the ST posters and their all time best PR's in all the different events, in all 3 sports. Then a list of the top 5 AG times in all those events. I guess we could get someone to build a data base and like a wiki page, folks could just fill it in. Of course we would have to have officials to qualify posted times, but Dan, PT, and I already do that on a regular basis...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Ya, he posts and participates here, and his top 100 mile times would be faster. Dan probably doesnt even have a top 10 time overall with the posters here, I know PT is in the 4;06 range, imagine Kenny Souza was not too far behind. That would be a very interesting list, all the ST posters and their all time best PR's in all the different events, in all 3 sports. Then a list of the top 5 AG times in all those events. I guess we could get someone to build a data base and like a wiki page, folks could just fill it in. Of course we would have to have officials to qualify posted times, but Dan, PT, and I already do that on a regular basis...(-;

OK OK...enough of this....is Slowman's mile split faster than Ed Bakers. Then we can close this thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
General reply to the thread, but why is it going on so long without us getting to the bottom of whose mile PB is faster....Slowman or Ed Baker. Slowman must be having too much fun riding around Mauna Kea and Kaloko or he is at Kona bike check in right now!!!!

my HS mile PR was 4:19.4. i think ed mentioned his in my interview with him i stopped running track after HS and he didn't. i'd wager he bettered my PR after he left HS.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

my HS mile PR was 4:19.4. i think ed mentioned his in my interview with him i stopped running track after HS and he didn't. i'd wager he bettered my PR after he left HS.

Based on the ST interview, you have salvage the collective egos of all ST posters...we may now return to regular programming...oh and you invented a social network before Zuckerberg but which did not get to $500B market cap YET:

ED BAKER: I wasn’t strong enough to feel like I could choose a college based on running. My mile PR in high school was 4:23, good for Florida, but the Stanford coach said, "It would be nice if you were 10 seconds faster." I wasn’t in the position where all the coaches would recruit me. I chose Harvard for academics. I wasn’t sure I would run in college. But I did speak to the track coach. Frank Hagerty. He was a Harvard alum, and as I got to know how the program worked it got me excited about it. He wanted to make sure the athletics never got in the way of academics.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 11, 18 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [LCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCD wrote:
Listened to his interview with Bob Babbit. My god what a selfish individual, heading to Kona for a week when his wife will literally just have had their 4th child.

In his defense if you want to be really successful at anything in life (business, sport, etc.) you need to put everything else in 2nd place behind your goals. Comes back to the old notion that most CEOs are psychopaths. I have had interactions with serious athletes for the last 15years & to a T they are all extremely selfish people. The personality they project in social media, interviews etc, is miles away from the person they are in real life. Can't blame them, thats what it takes.

Big ego, big bank balance, big commitment, no pesky family or job getting in the way, his results are legit IMO.

I agree whole heartedly, I've had that experience also now that I've been in this sport for 12 years. I've known elite's and coaches who pretend they stick do their plan, winners never quit, quitters never win etc, my clients who don't win are the ones who justify bad behavior blah blah, endless fictional feats "when I was training for Kona I 2004 drank 18 glasses of wine at a wedding and I still woke up 3:am and did my 2 hours swim, no lies guys honest...….""Oh, and I studied for my 2nd law degree, as I rode my bike" "Ya know these lack luster performers, they just don't have the same focus as people like me, and they blame their circumstances, haters"

You get a different perspective when you get to know them personally or talk to their spouse. It's usually, miles away from what they portray like you said.

"I get berated for letting his Gatorade get warm" "He can't remember our kids ages or what grade they are in" "When I was 8 I fell of my bike and he (dad) called me a sissy"

At least David Goggins came clean and honest in all his interviews the last few years, he explains he became a beast of a human being because of all his fears and insecurities, he became a 280lbs powerlifter because - he wanted to hide inside of a huge guy because he was afraid - he's honest about why he really beat himself to death all those years.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he’s stopped running before the halfway point.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on what happened to Ed Baker?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably just Madam pele. Had the guy raced a hot race yet? Galveston was cold. Lake placid was cold iirc. What’s the euro race he did? Any other races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the whole self-promotion and trying to make a name for yourself, but when you do that, you have to expect the backlash and be able to back it up. A DNF isn't backing it up. Hopefully Ed can go back to focusing on training, as the video was overboard and didn't warrant being made in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully agree! Really enjoyed the video and I hope Ed continues to document his journey. His educational, professional and athletic accolades speak for themselves and it's awesome to have a glimpse behind the scenes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
X1000. How many people can just call up Mark Zuckerberg and say, "Hey dude, what's this Zwift thing you're posting on Strava?"
How many people here would want to do that? I for one couldn't care less about what Mark Zuckerberg does, especially when it comes to his bike riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Probably just Madam pele. Had the guy raced a hot race yet? Galveston was cold. Lake placid was cold iirc. What’s the euro race he did? Any other races?

He over-estimated his FTP on Zwift and buried himself in training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next