Prev Next
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
Non-cyclist to 400w FTP in a short time at the age of 40. Seems legit.

The guys was a 2:21 marathoner...this equates to some massive watts per kilo once you guys apply the Chung method of Watts per kilo having roughly the same magnitude for a given athlete given equivalent abilities in both sports.

WAS. Not at age 40. That's not at all how it works.

You don't lose that much aerobic capacity by 40...the list is endless of athletes producing competitive pro numbers at 40. Mark Allen won Kona at 38. Cam Brown just went 8:07 at IMNZ at 45! Crowie was winning 70.3's above 40. Dave Scott was 5th at Kona at 40. Rob Barel raced for Holland at the Sydney Olympics triathlon at 40. So not sure why you guys are fixating on 40 years old like it's some ancient dinosaur age. There is not that much aerobic capacity lost by that point.

What do they have all in common, oh ya they have doing triathlon for a very long time. (Not 2 years)

None of the guys I mentioned ran a 2:21 marathon at 165 lbs. 165 lbs is the inverse of a welterweight boxer trying to win the heavyweight division. He was the wrong body type for his old sport. He is the correct body type for triathlon (and to compete head on with you, so I get why someone coming out of the woodwork and ramping quickly can irk one).

Is he juiced to the gills? Who knows. But we almost NEVER get a 2:21 marathoner who is also 165 lbs enter the sport.

Look at the Kona top 15 that ST posts every year. They are all around his size, maybe a bit lighter. It's the perfect size for swimmers who are too short and light and perfect size for runners who are too tall and heavy (on the women's side, Gwen at 58 kilos is just too darn heavy to be an elite marathoner). He's the size of a lot of pro long course triathletes and he has an engine that may be better than theirs for his weight to run at 5 meters per second for 2:21.

Maybe to put this into perspective for you guys, if we take Alistair Brownlee at 29ish min 10K and plug into McMillan we get 2:16 marathon. Mark Allen tried the Berlin Marathon for a 2:15 - 2:17 target and dropped out with wooden quads. This is how good Ed Baker's 2:21 marathon PB time is. I don't think a lot of people accusing him of doping are getting that. Given his size, he may have a better raw engine than Lance did when Lance was racing tris as a teen.

Let's see Ed play out. Test him to the nines as much as possible. His case does beg scrutiny, but on the other side the raw numbers associated with his run times at his massive weight are not something that we often get in triathlon. I think the last two guys with similar open marathons were Christian Bustos (2:22) and Ryan Bolton (I think 2:23). But they were smaller guys who had less top line watts for flat bike sectitons. Another one was Ben Paredes, who ran 2:14 at the NYC marathon, but the guy was so light that he was not that strong in tri/du.

Give me a current pro triathlete with a 2:21 open marathon. Maybe Lange as he is small enough (140 lbs). I doubt the rest of the guys can run anything under 2:27. They are just to heavy and will break down. The beauty of pro triathletes, is their IM run split is not that far off their open time. Maybe 15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
At the TX 70.3 this year, he was 1min slower than me on the bike, and 20sec faster on the run. Not sure how he took that level of fitness in April to a 9 hour IM in July and a 8:30 something not long after.....

Jack, keep in mind that when you started triathlon, and were on the fast part of the learning curve, a few months after your early season races, you were beating people by a lot who you just "tied with" early in the year. We all went through that learning curve ramp. Ed's bottom is just at a higher point than people with 2:4x open marathon PB's.....he's almost a 2:1x guy.

In the mean time, let's test him like he's Chris Froome or Dumoulin or Sagan to make sure that what we see is what we get.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why is Kiley on probation?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed is actually a very humble man

He didn't ask for a video about his Harvard/Sanford education, making millions in his internet startup, knowing Zuckerberg personally, winning an ironman withe less than a year of training. It wasn't his idea to film his beautiful home, his kids and wife and admiring brother. He particularly did not ask for a video of him shirtless in his speedos displaying his 4% body fat.

Its all the idea of this professional filming crew that just landed on him out of the blue with hi-def cameras and drones (after he hired them for a 100 G's)
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Extremely irritating triathlete who loves to talk about himself...??? Such a rarity.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we are all jealous because this guy appears to have it all. Life is not fair. Guys have brought up some of the uber inneundo, so maybe the rest of us have a leg up in some other aspects of life, so let's let him beat us at sport and money making and which rich powerful people he is friends with. I am curious to see what a person with the physiology to run a 2:21 marathon at 165 lbs can do 1.5 decades later in triathlon. I don't think we've ever seen an engine like that with that much body mass show up at the start line outside of Mark Allen. All the pro triathletes who could run that fast were much smaller.

Now can someone give me 23 lbs and extra 1.5 watts per kilo so that I can go fast like Ed....my parents suck for giving these math and ST rapidfire posting genetics and sucky sport genetics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Ed Baker

What is anything for except that?
Jealous much?

So based on a quick read.. a 2:21 marathoner in college? There's a base level of fitness this guy has that a lot of us can only dream about. Everyone here knows you take an elite level runner and put them on a bike and eventually they are a monster rider too. So he just needed to learn to swim, and then have time to train. Basically $ and time, and he's got both. And he's shown he has the kind of personality that is driven to succeed. Is he a great person? Who knows. I personally would clash with a "succeed at any cost" type person and couldn't see myself liking this person much. But athletically? Lots of suspicion being thrown around without thinking it through.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP shows that irony is not dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video wasn't that bad. Let's just put him on the 'annoyingly successful' list; there are plenty of people out there like that in this world, and we can't all be good at everything we turn our hand to. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other people (mostly guys I'm guessing) with young families who are self engrossed, be it KQers or with work. I see plenty of guys let their wives take almost all the family strain, whilst they disappear with work for days, weeks or even months on end. This is not a new concept.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
why is Kiley on probation?

Anyhow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Derekl wrote:
Non-cyclist to 400w FTP in a short time at the age of 40. Seems legit.

The guys was a 2:21 marathoner...this equates to some massive watts per kilo once you guys apply the Chung method of Watts per kilo having roughly the same magnitude for a given athlete given equivalent abilities in both sports.

WAS. Not at age 40. That's not at all how it works.

You don't lose that much aerobic capacity by 40

You should learn some actual physiology before you go around calling people idiots. You're naive at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think we are all jealous because this guy appears to have it all. Life is not fair. Guys have brought up some of the uber inneundo, so maybe the rest of us have a leg up in some other aspects of life, so let's let him beat us at sport and money making and which rich powerful people he is friends with. I am curious to see what a person with the physiology to run a 2:21 marathon at 165 lbs can do 1.5 decades later in triathlon. I don't think we've ever seen an engine like that with that much body mass show up at the start line outside of Mark Allen. All the pro triathletes who could run that fast were much smaller.

Now can someone give me 23 lbs and extra 1.5 watts per kilo so that I can go fast like Ed....my parents suck for giving these math and ST rapidfire posting genetics and sucky sport genetics.

What in the holy hell are you yammering about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me this video is some weird kind of satire?

Edit:
I seriously can't tell. The not so subtle name dropping of Zuckerberg has me confused.
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Oct 9, 18 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This guy got faster than me in only 18 months..." *sniff*

"And he has tons of money and I work all day..." *sniff*

"And his bike is so fast if I could afford that bike..." *sniff*

"He has to be doping or an egomaniac..." *sniff*

Isn't there a thread for all these? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep saying 165lbs. Nowhere does he say he used to weigh 165lbs when he went 2:21 in college or whatever. He could have been 120 lbs for all we know and went on a Twinkie diet for the past 18 years.
Anyway, when you see unbelievable progressions like this in 99.9% of the times that's exactly what they are - unbelievable. I'm just thinking Matt Dixon must be looking at this guy and he's scratching his head... I bet he doesn't see many of his athletes go from sitting on their ass all day to a 400W FTP in 18 months. But the publicity that this guy brings him is probably worth looking the other way.

Jesse Thomas has a similar story: startup guy, ex collegiate runner, 175lbs / 6'1", pushes big watts with a shitty position but even he went through a 4 year journey before the got anywhere near pro triathlete level. He also started doing tri at 27 not 40.

devashish_paul wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
"This guy got faster than me in only 18 months..." *sniff*

"And he has tons of money and I work all day..." *sniff*

"And his bike is so fast if I could afford that bike..." *sniff*

"He has to be doping or an egomaniac..." *sniff*

Isn't there a thread for all these? :)

He tries to parade his Stanford t-shirt in Cambridge, MA?!!!

Don't worry, this loser has more issues than most :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Are you OK with being a Troll? Who else actually seeks information about someone that they don't like for no reason other than throw stones?

Does bringing someone else down somehow bring you up?

It's clear from other previous posts you don't like the guy - why then do you search out more stuff to troll about? I don't get it. I actually respect the guy, and yet have no desire to find more to read about him or watch videos, etc. I'd rather be doing other things. Perhaps he does things that annoy you (duh). Your being a troll annoys me; perhaps, makes me like Ed even more.

Has he made significant gains in performance in a short time? Yes, he's on the steep part of the learning curve - that's what happens when someone works hard at something. Almost anybody who's listened to someone new to the sport be so excited to do a 3 hour Oly, then 3 weeks later doing a 2:45, then a month later doing a 2:38. In their mind they'll be sub 2 mid next season at the latest - until reality sets in. His curve happens to be at a place that very few will get to no matter how long/hard they try. Am I jealous of that? Sure. He picked his parents right to get an engine that is a few standard deviations above "normal." I'd rather see someone use that then waste it. Criticizing his life style won't make his gift somehow less.

Beat him on the field of play, then we'll talk about how great you are. Can't do that? Join the club.

You and a few others must like living in glass houses. Must be cool. Perhaps add a mirror to the décor, see if you like what you see. In the mean time think about putting that energy into more training, or something positive. I'll bet you'll be happier - which is nice

A lil too dramatic but a REALLY good post/mindset sir
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Has he made significant gains in performance in a short time? Yes, he's on the steep part of the learning curve - that's what happens when someone works hard at something....

he just wants it more

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Troll

You keep using that word...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checklist for video pre-production:

1. Show killer house
2. Mention elite schools
3. Show family duty dropping off genius kid and mention your own fluency in 2nd language
4. Mention killer jobs and big buyouts
5. Show killer pain cave
6. Get the the abs from a few different angles
7. Show FTP # on Zwift
8. Mention 6:45 as IM pace
9. Mention elite schools again
9. Have kids and nephwes and in-laws and sibling and coach mention how killer you are
10. Can't actaully show weiner size, so just imply a buckwild lovemaking style with 4 little kids romping around

I wish him all the best, I just wonder if he is so smart why could he not see that he would not exactly come across as sympathetic? F.N. was not specifically talking about the ST forum when he said "In every human beast there is a fund of hatred, anger, envy, rancour, and malice, accumulated like venom in a serpent's tooth, and waiting only for an opportunity of venting itself, and then, to storm and rage like a demon unchained.", but he might as well have been.

Ed, just a suggestion and feel free to ignore---> have some humility, make a self-aware joke about your obsession, lighten up, and realize to most normal people this video is just plain old weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Wow, is this dude irritating or what?

Didn't get that at all from this video. Reading your post and some of the comments in the rest of the thread, I kind of expected some super-corporate douche type overhyping himself and yelling too much, but he seems pretty grounded, especially given the gains/success he's seen in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't find the video as offensive as some, however I am still not sure the point of it. Building a social media presence so he is more attractive to sponsors when he tries to go pro?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

What in the holy hell are you yammering about?

Blocking him is one of my smarter moves on ST. Now if you'd refrain from quoting his posts in your replies, we'd all be better off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think we are all jealous because this guy appears to have it all.

Haha, ummm no. Speak for yourself. I have plenty in life to make me happy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next